AVS Forum banner

Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575

4M views 28K replies 1K participants last post by  DoctorM 
#1 · (Edited)

NOTE: This post & linked help files have been updated continuously since inception.

Magnavox 557, 53x, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575
N.A. Models: Mag MDR513H/F7,515,533,535,537,557 - H2160MW9,9A - H2080MW8 - Philips DVDR3575H/37,3576

10 years and 9 generations of std def (SD 480i) HDD/DVD recorders with single analog/digital tuners for antenna or unscrambled cable... 12 gens if you add the latest HD models. The 9th-gen and last SD model, 1TB Mag MDR557, was released in April 2014 and has some important differences as described here. All have HDD, DVD and inputs for recording/copying from external sources like cable/sat STBs, DVRs, VCRs, cameras, etc.

Info/help on first 9 gens: Quick Answers ... Help File Index.

Important Notes:
  1. To learn all you need to know, it's simple: click "post #1" above right and bookmark it, then click links to go DIRECTLY to help files... from this post to answers in one click! If you have questions, click Comment/Question button, or send me a PM
  2. Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links herein will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
  3. If you can't get a link to work, you can copy and paste the following text in your browser's address bar:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=22427935
    then hover over the link that doesn't work, copy or write down the link's post #, then replace the "22427935" in the address bar with the number you copied or wrote down.

In April 2014, Funai, an award-winning Japanese company and Walmart Strategic Vendor, released its 9th-generation, 1TB MDR557H/F7 model. Each generation has been a yearly improvement of the same basic design first introduced in Jan 2007 (Philips 3575) as the first and only HDD recorder designed for the U.S. digital transition.

That gen-1 model won a 2007 CES award for innovation as the ONLY recorder, SD or HD (720p/1080i/p), available (then and now) with HDD, analog & digital tuners for antenna or cable, on-board disc drive for burning/playing DVDs & playing CDs, and line inputs.

They don't have multiple tuners or a "Guide" like cable/sat DVRs or TiVo, but no extra "fee" either, and they do have some DVR features like record to HDD, auto-record buffer (Mags), pause/rewind live TV, skip/replay, chase play, simultaneous play/record, resume-play on all partially viewed HDD titles, and more.

They also have many features DVRs don't have like record/copy to DVD, play DVDs/CDs, customize rec mode/bit rates to maximize HDD and DVD capacity, amplified coax passthru on or off (to watch one channel while recording another), composite/S-Video/DV-firewire inputs for copying stuff from VCRs/DVRs/CDs/cameras, 6-hour buffer on Mags (much larger than HD DVRs), editing on HDD/DVD, multiple options for skip/replay times, 0.8X and 1.3X playback with audio, and lots more.

They're the perfect 1st step into the 21st Century of home recording from antenna or unscrambled cable. No media to handle until you want your home movies on DVDs. Just press REC and you're recording or set timers with show names (pre-titling) and watch later. Go on a month's vacation and find all your shows in a title list, with show name, live index pic, date and day of week, ready to play. The HDD will spoil you rotten!

QUICK ANSWERS to Common Questions/Problems

Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links herein will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default

• Initial Setup - Coax is passthru only. Menus, channels, playback go thru line connection to TV.
  • Auto Clock - OTA antenna can maintain dead-on time, cable not so much. Try 11:57 Procedure to find and confirm a good time signal.
  • DVD Tray - Won't open until you set unit up, scan channels, THEN press DVD button.
  • Connection - Coax passes antenna/cable signal thru to cable box or TV for separate tuning. You need "line output" to TV to see internal DVDR stuff and watch/record diff. channels by selecting appropriate TV input (ANT or line input).
  • HDMI - PITA! Slow startup, must "chat" w/TV! For 1st time use, press "HDMI" button thru all four formats.
  • Timers - Set clock first. For weekly/daily show, use DOWN arrow in date box of timer menu.
  • Widescreen - Set Video > TV Aspect to "16:9 Wide" even if you don't have 16:9 TV yet... prevents that pissed-off feeling when you do get one and you play back your recorded 16:9 shows.
  • Editing - Making Front- and End-Cuts (Scene Deletes) is not documented in the manual.
  • Dubbing - Two methods for DVD>HDD. Finalized DVD requires Direct Dubbing 1 title at a time.
  • Finalizing - NOT automatic. Use Disc Edit > Finalize. Must have at least 60-min. to next timer program. DO NOT use Auto Finalize since you lose control of when that happens.
  • AV Outputs - Composite Yellow and S-Video OUT on Mags won't work if Progressive scan is ON.
  • AV Inputs - Won't work if Video > Video Input is not set to type of cable used. Clue: Audio w/no video if wrong setting.
  • Remote - Has thin plastic film over face that loosens and makes text harder to see. Remove it.
  • Bad Picture - Could be HDMI button not pressed or DVDR unplugged or no power (not in Standby).
  • Dead Unit - Check batt., try power button on unit, do Soft Reset, check for tuning interference.
  • Tuning Problems - Duplicate channels can cause tuning, timer & even power-on problems
  • Uverse/Satellite/All-Scrambled Cable - All encrypted. Tuner useless unless you add antenna. Simul. record/copy only.
  • Top 12 Things Wrong, Misleading or Omitted in the Manual - Pre-557 manuals are wrong? Ubetcha!

DOUBLE-INDEXED HELP FILES... Double-indexed links for easy "drill-down": 67 major subjects in 11 categories here, leading to 349 detailed discussions.

Disclaimer: Information here is published on a "best-efforts" basis. It can be incomplete or wrong on occasion. Please use due diligence to verify for yourself that names, places, products, parts, etc. are correct for you and your use. IOW, use at your own risk.

Dates: Ignore the original post date on these help file pages. The June 2014 SW change from Huddler HTML to VB SW deleted the "Last edited" dates at bottom of pages, but they were all current as of 6/14/14.

Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links herein will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default

1. IMPORTANT STUFF

2. GENERAL NEED-TO-KNOW STUFF

3. SETUP
... "Setup" is "Menu" button on 515/53x/557 remote.

4. RECORDING & COPYING... See Section 6, Dubbing, for copying w/internal drives HDD>DVD>HDD.

5. EDITING... With undocumented instructions for Front- and End Cuts.

• Edit with This DVDR... Name Title, Delete Title, Delete Scene, Divide Title, Protect Title, Add/Delete Chapter, Index Pic, & Combine Title (557 only on HDD and DVD-VR discs).
  • Edit with PC/MAC

6. DUBBING... Using internal drives for making copies.

7. PLAYBACK & PAUSE LIVE TV (PLTV)

8. HARDWARE (HW), FIRMWARE (FW), UTILITIES, TROUBLESHOOTING

9. REMOTE OPS

10. HIGH-TECH STUFF & THE FUTURE

11. SELLERS & SUPPORT... (models in order of newest to oldest generation)

Gen9 - 557 (Apr 2014) - Magnavox MDR557H, 1TB SATA HDD. Video/VR-mode recording, Playlists, Combine Titles, no Empty Titles on DVDs, lots more as described here.

• Ordering and Replacing Internal Parts & Getting Service Manual (SM).
  • Level 1 Support, Connection/Ops/Troubleshooting, 1-800-605-8610, 7 days/wk, 9:00am-11:00pm EST. Not a knowledgeable source for help... often results in advice to "return it" even tho answer is in one of the help file links above!
  • Level 2 Support, Accessories/Remotes/Repair/Warranty, 1-888-290-0871, M-F, 8:30am-5:30pm EST.
  • OEM Remote, NC003UH. Works on all Mag HDD models. Google for online sellers or call Level 2 Support.
  • $18 Universal Learning Remote - - (now $7.47 online), Philips SRP Series. Works well with Mag & Philips HDD DVDRs plus 5 other component types (TVs, DVRs, AVRs, players, VCRs, etc.), and it controls TV volume when using any device.

Gen8 - 53x Series (Sep 2012) - Magnavox MDR533/535/537H, 320/500/1000GB SATA HDDs, +VR-std recording. Only difference is HDD size. Same FW Versions. Same Op. Manual.

• Amazon, Refurb/Used, Funai 1-yr parts/90-day labor warranty on New units, typ. Funai 90-day P/L on refurbs (but check w/refurb seller). 30-day Return Policy on "Sold by Amazon" products. Ship to Canada.
    533 (320GB)
    535 (500GB)
    537 (1TB)
  • Operating Manual.
  • Level 1 Support, Connection/Ops/Troubleshooting, 1-800-605-8610, 7 days/wk, 9:00am-11:00pm EST. Not a knowledgeable source for help... often results in advice to "return it" even tho answer is in one of the help file links above!
  • Level 2 Support, Accessories/Remotes/Repair/Warranty, 1-888-290-0871, M-F, 8:30am-5:30pm EST.
  • OEM Remote, NC003UD except 557, which is NC003UH. They work on all Mag HDD models. Google for online sellers.
  • $18 Universal Learning Remote - - (now $7.47 online), Philips SRP Series. Works well with Mag & Philips HDD DVDRs plus 5 other component types (TVs, DVRs, AVRs, players, VCRs, etc.), and it controls TV volume when using any device.

Gen7 - 515 (Nov 2010) - Magnavox MDR515H, 500GB SATA HDD, +VR-std recording.

• Operating Manual. 4.4MB pdf.
  • FW Update.
  • OEM Remote, NC003UD except 557, which is NC003UH. They work on all Mag HDD models. Google for online sellers.

Gen6 - 513 (Apr 2010) - Magnavox MDR513H, 320GB SATA HDD, +VR-std recording. Can be made to operate like 515 with SuperFW 727V, as described here.

Gen5 - 2160A (Mar 2009) - Magnavox H2160MW9A, 160GB SATA HDD, +VR-std recording. Can be made to operate like 515 with SuperFW 727V, as described here.

• Original OEM Remote, NB820UD. $14-20 Amazon. Google for other online sellers.
  • OEM Remote, NC003UD except 557, which is NC003UH. They work on all Mag HDD models. Google for online sellers or call Level 2 Support.

Gen4 - 2160 (May 2008) - Magnavox H2160MW9, 160GB PATA HDD, +VR-std recording, my "bullet-proof" model.

• Original OEM Remote, NB820UD. $14-20 Amazon. Google for other online sellers or call Level 2 Support.

Gen3 - 3576 (Apr 2008) - Philips DVDR3576H, 160GB PATA HDD, +VR-std recording.

Gen2 - 2080 (Jul 2007)
-
Magnavox H2080MW8, 80GB PATA HDD, +VR-std recording. MainAVSForum thread here.

• Amazon Used-Refurb. ?
  • Operating Manual. 25.8MB pdf.
  • OEM Remote, NC003UD except 557, which is NC003UH. They work on all Mag HDD models. Google for online sellers or call Level 2 Support.

Gen1 - 3575 (Jan 2007) - Philips DVDR3575H, 160GB PATA HDD, +VR-std recording. My workhorse testbed model.

See less See more
#1,601 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14596708

I'm not sure, but if someone wants to leave a disc in for other "special" reasons (like a 3455 user does to prevent a problem I don't remember), I'd use a Finalized disc (just a short test video on it) so the machine won't run the tests every time.

Mainly what I do is dub a show on a RW from the HD so I can take it elsewhere for viewing. It's just kinda handy to already have the RW in n' ready to go.

But with a test going on every time I start up maybe I shouldn't be so lazy and just load one when I need it!

Thanks wajo!

#1,602 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gce /forum/post/14596897

But with a test going on every time I start up maybe I shouldn't be so lazy and just load one when I need it!

The ONLY bad effect from a HDD recorder... we get LAZY... but then, that's my middle name!

#1,603 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/14594304

Pretty odd, tho'. I have one of those digital-to-analog converter boxes, and I can delete any sub-channel I want.

Not with the fancy recorder tho'.

Unfortunately, just as they were with the later analog VCR's and DVD recorders, the tuners in these things are basically afterthoughts.

They're made in Asia where they are mostly concerned with eking out every last penny of profit they can.

#1,604 ·

Heat/EMI/RF/MW Can Cause False Copy Protection and Other "Weird" Stuff!

If you suspect "false" CP or experience some other "weird" problems (even HDD failure), first check for sources of EMI, RF or MW (microwave) near your system, like an old CRT TV, plasma TV (esp. Panasonic), satellite receiver, or microwave oven, AND MOVE THEM OR THE DVDR! See if the problem clears up before investing lots of time on other troubleshooting. See examples below.

HEAT

One European Union (EU) user bought a Philips DVDR and had problems with stuttering and lockups after some moderate usage time. Turns out he crammed his unit into a narrow space, with NO air flow from the intake vents on the side of the unit to the fan on the back, which overheated the circuitry and HDD. He bought another unit and placed it on top of an old CRT, which cleared the old problem, but caused another problem: false copy protection (CP) from stray RF/EMI interference, as described in the next subject.

These DVDRs do NOT get hot from use, but they CAN be affected by outside heat sources, as described here .

Heat is the laser diode's worst enemy, and the HDD isn't too fond of it either and esp. doesn't like EMI! Many "odd" problems can occur if your DVDR gets too hot. This DVDR's intake air vents are on the top right side (facing unit), and the fan is on the back. Allow ample space for airflow.

• Don't block right side or cram into narrow space.
  • Don't place unit on top of other hot components.
  • Don't use in a fully-enclosed entertainment center.
  • Don't place your DVDR on top of old CRT TV or even close... keep max. distance between them.

EMI, RF, MW

Since CP works by "disrupting" the video stream, and EMI and RF can do the same thing, some people might just be CP'ing themselves with stray EMI or RF, like our intrepid EU user mentioned above!?

He bought a 2nd new DVDR but, unfortunately, placed it on top of an old CRT TV which was apparently emitting strong electromagnetic interference (EMI). He was CP'ing himself! Click here for details on a test by orsetto that duplicated the stated problems when he placed a U.S. 3575 on top of an old CRT TV.

Even a Plasma TV can send EMI/RF signals throughout your house, as described in this thread on a ham radio operators forum where the OP tested it with his equipment... verrry interrresting discussion (and not too long)! The OP's tests showed that the Plasma TV didn't even have to be CLOSE to other equipment! Another ham operator says in that thread, in response to recommendations for moving or shielding the TV: "Are you kidding....I am trying to figure out how to hook an antenna to the screen and key it. I think it would out do my AL-1500. The big screen Plasma Panasonic TV is a prolific RF generator."

Here's another article on EMI/RFI (4th section up from bottom) with tests in 2010 on Panasonic Viera plasma HDTVs, with videos clearly showing lots of RFI from the TV. He even mentions COUNTRIES involved in getting rid of the RFI and Panasonic replacing TVs for excessive RFI.

In another instance, a U.S. 2160 user had some weird problems that couldn't be explained or remedied by all normal troubleshooting. In working the problem, he happened to move his DirecTV R10 receiver from on top of the 2160, which cleared all his prior problems, as he explains here.

One person reported losing a weak TV channel 12 from interference caused by a pair of amplified speakers.

One user set a DVDR on top of his MICROWAVE oven and the HDD was rendered useless... wiped drive, couldn't reformat, unrecoverable... had to order a new HDD.

#1,605 ·
One difference between the 3575/3576 and the H2160 cropped up...

When the 2160's Progressive Scan in ON in the Video menu, NO VIDEO will be output via the Video or S-Video outputs.

To use Composite or S-Video output from the 2160, set Progressive Scan Off in the Video menu... HDMI doesn't need it anyway since IT sends its own formats under a separate control/button. If you ALSO want to use Component output, in addition to Composite or S-Video, you'll get an interlaced Component signal to the TV with the Progressive set to OFF.

In this regard, the 3575/3576 sends the interlaced video signal thru its Composite and S-Video outputs regardless of the Progressive setting, as described in this "Settings..." help file .

#1,606 ·
I've tried several times to record a program from my Philips 3576H to a DVD and it will play on the Philips as well as my computer but I can't seem to get the recorded DVD tp play on my Optoma DV 10, Home Cinema projector. The sound plays on the projector but no video. The projector has a built in DVD player.

I've used DVD+R, DVD+RW and most recently a Maxell DVD-RW with the same result.

Does any kind soul have any idea what I might do to fix this?

Stressbox

#1,608 ·
wajo

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did finalize all except the DVD+RW which the manual says doesn't require finalizing. I don't think the 3546 allows you to finalize that type.

I recorded the Maxell in HQ mode.

Not sure what you mean by the "outputs" of the DVD player which is built into the DV10. I did play with the set up menu with formats but couldn't seem to fix the problem. It's odd that the sound plays while the video doesn't. I used to have a Panasonic DVD recorder which produced disks which worked on the DV10.

On my first attempt to record on the Philips had a long movie on the HDD which didn't allow HQ recording so it was recorded in real time. That didn't work either.

Would hate to have to buy another projector--there aren't many with the convenient built in DVD player and speakers.

stressbox

#1,609 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressbox /forum/post/14604007

wajo

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did finalize all except the DVD+RW which the manual says doesn't require finalizing. I don't think the 3546 allows you to finalize that type.

I recorded the Maxell in HQ mode.

Not sure what you mean by the "outputs" of the DVD player which is built into the DV10. I did play with the set up menu with formats but couldn't seem to fix the problem. It's odd that the sound plays while the video doesn't. I used to have a Panasonic DVD recorder which produced disks which worked on the DV10.

On my first attempt to record on the Philips had a long movie on the HDD which didn't allow HQ recording so it was recorded in real time. That didn't work either.

Would hate to have to buy another projector--there aren't many with the convenient built in DVD player and speakers.

stressbox

I've read of some DVD players that apparently don't like the high bit-rate of 1-HR-HQ or XP and, since yours plays the audio, which is no big task, it really sounded to me like it just didn't like the densely packed video data.

You apparently tried a dub recorded in something other than HQ, so that proves it's NOT the densely packed HQ data on the disc.

First thing I'd do is check the media ID with your DVDR's disc utility, using SKIP-1-2-3 as described at the bottom of this page . That'll eliminate "bad media" maybe.

You could try several short, manual, test recordings to a -RW disc at several diff. rec modes, with Chapter Marking OFF, some on digital WS channel with 16:9 Wide setting in Video menu and others on analog channel with 4:3 LB setting. After Finalizing, try to play all titles in the DV10 (hopefully it has a title skip button or such in case you don't see video?). That might provide a clue as to which, if any, of those recorder settings the DV10 might not "like"???

My comment on the player's setup menus comes from reading a review of the DV10 and it mentioned it comes with factory settings for projector portion and separate settings for DVD playback... thinking there might be something there? Here's the ProjectorCentral review section on that:

"The DVD player's Setup menu has its own set of basic image adjustments (brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness) that are factory optimized for the projector, in addition to the adjustments in the projector menu. However, some users may have their own preference for DVD playback that differs from their preferences for other sources, so Optoma left the option open to adjust the DVD player's output settings as well."

#1,612 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14604111

I've read of some DVD players that apparently don't like the high bit-rate of 1-HR-HQ or XP and, since yours plays the audio, which is no big task, it really sounded to me like it just didn't like the densely packed video data.

You apparently tried a dub recorded in something other than HQ, so that proves it's NOT the densely packed HQ data on the disc.

First thing I'd do is check the media ID with your DVDR's disc utility, using SKIP-1-2-3 as described at the bottom of this page . That'll eliminate "bad media" maybe.

You could try several short, manual, test recordings to a -RW disc at several diff. rec modes, with Chapter Marking OFF, some on digital WS channel with 16:9 Wide setting in Video menu and others on analog channel with 4:3 LB setting. After Finalizing, try to play all titles in the DV10 (hopefully it has a title skip button or such in case you don't see video?). That might provide a clue as to which, if any, of those recorder settings the DV10 might not "like"???

My comment on the player's setup menus comes from reading a review of the DV10 and it mentioned it comes with factory settings for projector portion and separate settings for DVD playback... thinking there might be something there? Here's the ProjectorCentral review section on that:

"The DVD player's Setup menu has its own set of basic image adjustments (brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness) that are factory optimized for the projector, in addition to the adjustments in the projector menu. However, some users may have their own preference for DVD playback that differs from their preferences for other sources, so Optoma left the option open to adjust the DVD player's output settings as well."

wajo I used a Maxell DVD-RW and dubbed a short recording of a movie in each of the modes SPP, LP and EP and finalized. Also used a TDK DVD+RW in LP not finalized.

They all played sound on the DV 10 but no video. I tried 16:9, 4:3 and LBX; also set the projector on NTSC, PAL and Auto. Doesn't help. Just in case my projector was not working right I put a commercial DVD in it and it worked fine. A bit frustrating.

Stressbox

#1,613 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressbox /forum/post/14606386

wajo I used a Maxell DVD-RW and dubbed a short recording of a movie in each of the modes SPP, LP and EP and finalized. Also used a TDK DVD+RW in LP not finalized.

They all played sound on the DV 10 but no video. I tried 16:9, 4:3 and LBX; also set the projector on NTSC, PAL and Auto. Doesn't help. Just in case my projector was not working right I put a commercial DVD in it and it worked fine. A bit frustrating.

Stressbox

More than a bit... very strange!

Dumb question... the DVDs do play video in the Philips?

If you can spare a -R disc, at least give that a try since now we're grasping at straws? Maybe also record a short segment directly to a -RW rather than dub to eliminate the dub process as the culprit?

#1,617 ·
This one's a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess):

Your comment that the -R "didn't play" jogged a cog and I'm wondering if the DV10 has a setting like the 3576 does for "Parental Lock" or similar. With that lock, a DVD isn't supposed to play.

Normally, discs have to be "set" with lock level codes the player can respond to, but I'm wondering if the DV10 might be accidentally set for some sort of "lock" or "V-chip" feature, which all the other discs that work didn't have, of course, but it does see something in the disc from the 3576 it interprets as a "lock." If it did have a lock or V-chip set, turning that OFF is the ticket.

Failing that, one thing that might be interesting to try.

There's a SKIP code that does a "Manufacturer's Adjustment" for -R and +R discs. I've run it several times and it appears to be "harmless" but it just might do something for your situation. I can't guarantee anything but my tests showed no apparent harm to MY DVDR.

AFAIK, I'm the only one who's used this procedure on a 3575.

If you want to try it, the simple procedure is here, SKIP-9-8-7 .

On your 3576, if anything looks different than as described in the procedure, I wouldn't proceed... should be the same for a 3575 or 3576, tho.

#1,618 ·
Have to say you're never at a loss for ideas. Checked the set up menu of the DV 10 and it has a "rating" setting and it is set at "view all" -- the alternatives are not "clickable".

I'll try the skip thing but I'm out of plus discs so I'll have to borrow one from my neighbor. When doing this do you press" "skip" and the numbers in order or do you have dashes in between? Then press "ok"?

Stressbox

#1,620 ·
Well, I made the trip to Sam's Club and picked up the 3576. It has a May 19, 2008 build date.

Here is the "skip 123" info:

Model name: E2H40UD

DTV-S version: 0x90

FE Version: R40_026_000

BE Version: HD4P3374EH1E

TT Version" T4015RDU

DV Unique ID: 00903E4C 53E26945

LD Adjustment: OK

Disc Adjustment: OK

Right off the bat, after I hooked it up in my system, I had problems. After a channel scan, with it set for cable analog and digital, it failed to pick up most of the QAM digital channels that I can get on my Mits TV and my Panasonic EZ28 DVD recorder. I have Comcast extended basic cable, and both my Mits TV and my Panasonic EZ28 pick up a slew of local and cable only digital channels.

OK, since I had the signal split, but with with an in-line signal amplifier, I figured that the signal strength might be to low for the Philips to pick up the digital channels. So I reconfigured the hook up and took the splitter out of the circuit. I connected the Philips first after the signal amp, and the Mits TV after the Philips. This should give the Philips the highest possible signal strength.

Short answer -- the philips still did not pick up more than a couple of digital channels. In fact it did not pick up channels that it did after the first channel scan.

OK, any ideas out there? It looks that the digital tuner on this Philips is defective. The question is whether the digital tuner in THIS recorder is defective, or whether it is faulty on the entire recorder line.

The way I see it, I have 2 choices: (1) return the recorder as defective and get a replacement, or (2) give up on the philips and return the recorder for a refund.

Do I have a chance of getting a recorder with a functional digital tuner if I opt for a replacement, or is this a hopeless task and I should just get my money back?

What say ye?

Thanks.