Last updated: 04.03.10

A Few Items New or Prospective Owners may want to Know

REVIEWSDownloads:

General information:
Universal Remotes & RS232 codes:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Code:
Code:
- [URL='http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Search?keywords=ir+and+hex+codes+sc-0'][B]IR and Hex codes[/B][/URL] 
-Pronto (ccf format) files and "Universal" (mxf) files  [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16013382#post16013382']here[/URL] 
-RS232C Protocols for Custom installations [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-07%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-07[/URL]  and  [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-05%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-05[/URL] 
-Crestron , Crestron's Integrated Partner Module  [URL='http://www.crestron.com/tools_and_resources/programming_and_integration_resources/integrated_partner_modules/default.asp?module_id=658&devicetype_id=&manufacturer_id=134']Click Here[/URL] 
-Harmony codes: available as of 10/30/08 (ccotenj)
- [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16131010#post16131010']Harmony Remote Tips[/URL]
- Service Codes

========================================================

Tips/Examples from Members:

========================================================

Networking and Streaming:
-Apple and OS/X networking and Music Streaming ccotenj
-Internet radio Impression1 Impression2
-Network and media server connections ( a_ok2me )
Tips:
-To access HMG MENUS with the remote, be sure to switch from "receiver" to "source"
- Cooling/Ventilation
-SC-LX81 (SC-07) autopsy and here
-Removing stickers without Scratching? Method1 Method2 Method3
-Dimmer setting location: bottom portion of the remote, under the sliding door (number 3 button)
- PURE Direct Observations by MacFan
Subwoofers/Speakers
-Quickstart Speaker setup - MacFan
- Bossobass guide to subwoofers
-General Subwoofer settings (Macfan424) and here
-How do I hook up my Definitive Mythos to the SC/05/07/09? MacFan424
- Dual Subs Graphicguy and MacFan424
LFE/MCACC
-Proper Microphone position for calibration Ray
-LFE and crossover settings MacFan and secrets by Colin Miller & Brian Florian Thanks MacFan
-Why are my MCACC settings 6db lower from my last Pioneer? ss9001
-X-Curve and room sample by eldithomaso
- Connecting your PC to MCACC
- MCACC calibration MacFan
- MCACC and background noise by ss9001
General Connections:
-How to set Video HDMI with Digital (Optical/Coax) Audio Click here
-PS3 connection to Your new SC-05/07 AUDIO/VIDEO
- working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3 by mhdiab
-Zone 2 and 3 configuration example by Geoff and alerion
-Adding the ability to watch TV from one source and Audio from another? method1 (SC-05/07) method2 (SC-07)
-HMG and an external HD JS1000
Utilities
-DIY 12VDC Trigger for switching by mrgribbles and circuit diagrams by decoupe
-Member recommended CD to FLAC converters EAC winamp dBpower
-Rippng DTS with Windows - Info_Dan
- How much Power do you actually use? SPL Calculator Thanks MacFan
- Resetting your AVR/Service Mode Codes
- HMG Update
Potential problems:
-Problems with DD+ with the Toshiba XA2 and Samsung HD-DVD. Workarounds from FilmMixer and ss9001
-Rel Subwoofers and SC-05/07/09 Precautions
- Flashing MCACC LED and LED Issues
-Fios Cable Box shows "green screen of death" -- Try HDMI Input 3
added January-March 2010

MCACC background noise ss9001

SPL Calculator

SC-07 with Oppo 83 review Shane55 member's review (page 3)

working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3

FW HMG updates from users

Raymond G review
My first impression - original first post

See less See more
#3,321 ·
s-one, it would depend on your main speakers as rule.. but you might want to start at 80hz which is the default. That seems to work for me. But that may change when I get my new subwoofer.

Question on that subject for those in the know:

My current subwoofer has cut over frequency filters...

right now, I have it at 80hz and have the SC-07 set at 80Hz as well..

Is that correct or does it matter scince my AVR sends at 80Hz or should I have it set at something higher?

#3,322 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoad /forum/post/15291447

Gentlemen, I have just joined the ICE club via an SC 07. It should arrive late next week. I must say I am a bit nervous though. I did not listen to it in store since that seems to be a waste of time to truly evaulate AVRs. I am coming from an Elite 94. These last few posts have me a bit unsettled. I have read that some of you have come from the 94 as well. Can anyone give me further review/input regarding the "upgrade" from the 94 to an 05/07? I am hoping it is worth it since I got an absolutely killer deal on it from an authorized dealer.

Congratulations CrossRoad

Welcome to the ICE Club.

Truthfully, I do not think you will regret it!

Other's coming from the VSX-94TX have not regretted it.

Please keep us up to date let us know what you think.

#3,323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorZ /forum/post/15302829

I'm thinking about ripping my CD collection to an external hard drive and either plugging into my SC-05 (front USB) or my Oppo 983H (rear USB). I will be using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to rip my CD's to FLAC files. Does anyone out there have any experience with this configuration? It seems pretty simple. Rip CD's to hard drive at PC, then plug hard drive into SC-05 USB connection and access via HMG. I'm looking at a 750G Western Digital drive. It's glossy black with a nice blue indicator on the front which would complement the SC-05 nicely. Any thoughts?

The program (EAC) should work.. however, plugging in a USB harddrive may not.. I think you will have to plug it into a media server, DoctorZ and have your SC-05 connect via the server.. I don't know that going in directly via the USB to your SC-05 is supported. I don't believe it is.

#3,324 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR /forum/post/15303358

The program (EAC) should work.. however, plugging in a USB harddrive may not.. I think you will have to plug it into a media server, DoctorZ and have your SC-05 connect via the server.. I don't know that going in directly via the USB to your SC-05 is supported. I don't believe it is.

Charles is correct, I tried plugging in a USB hard drive and it did not work, but the hard drive was not powered. I think if the USB hard drive is powered, it should work.

#3,325 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR /forum/post/15303168

s-one, it would depend on your main speakers as rule.. but you might want to start at 80hz which is the default. That seems to work for me. But that may change when I get my new subwoofer.

Is that correct or does it matter scince my AVR sends at 80Hz or should I have it set at something higher?

Charles....s-one, I've played with the sub crossovers a lot (all within the SC 05, not the SWs crossover). My fronts drop off at 50 Hz. So, for now, I've got the crossover set there. Had them crossed over at 80 Hz to the sub (which is a HSU that goes from roughly 150Hz down to 18 Hz with appreciable output. I've gone back and forth between invoking boundary gain on and off in the SC 05, too. Right now, it's on. And that took care of the "boominess" I was getting in my room. But, you have to set your sub to THX in the SC 05's set up to use it.

I'm narrowing it down. I keep switching back and forth between setting the crossover between 80 Hz and 50 Hz, and can't decide which I like better (both give good sound, just subtly different characteristics).

I'm of the opinion it depends how low your main speakers go.

I know FilmMixer recommends 80 Hz crossover across the board.

This is one of those questions where it takes a bit of experimentation (which I'm still doing) to get something you like. I'm getting close, real close.

BTW....the only time I can use the crossovers in my HSU is when I DON'T use the pre-out from the SC 05. By using the pre-out, I set the crossover in the SC 05 instead of the HSU.

#3,326 ·
Thanks graphicguy!

#3,327 ·
Thanks Juan.

Gonna have to try it then, I got a couple of USB harddrives sitting around.. I thought at minimum they would have to be FAT16 or 32 format.

#3,328 ·
Graphicguy,

Don't forget that even with an 80hz XO your mains are still producing quite a bit well under that. I figured you knew that, but figured I throw it out there.

#3,329 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR /forum/post/15303168

Situations can vary, of course, but the consensus among "experts" is to use the AVR's 80Hz crossover. It's the THX standard as well.

As a rule, you should use the AVR's crossover and disable your sub's if you can. If the sub's can't be turned off, set it for the highest point you can. Allowing two crossovers to interact is rarely a good thing. Again, this is the "expert" consensus.

Not your question, but a related point that keeps coming up: The recommended approach with a subwoofer is to set all speakers to "Small", no matter how large they are. Setting them to "Large" and using the "Plus" setting may seem like a good idea, but it rarely gives accurate results. It's almost impossible to calibrate correctly, because different source material has differing amounts of low bass in the front R/L channels vs LFE, so getting it right for one source is likely to make it wrong for the next. ("Plus" sends the R/L bass to both the main speakers and the sub, duplicating that part of the bass signal. LFE still goes only to the sub.)

Further, in most rooms there can be all sorts of problems with multiple bass sources. They generally can be cured, but it usually takes quite a bit of effort and skill.

That said, a lot of people like the "Plus" setting (that's why manufacturers include it), and I don't expect to change anyone's mind.
There is often a difference between what is "correct" and what sounds best to an individual.

#3,330 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov /forum/post/15303785

Graphicguy,

Don't forget that even with an 80hz XO your mains are still producing quite a bit well under that. I figured you knew that, but figured I throw it out there.

Yep....you're right. But, good info for others who lurk here.

#3,331 ·
Thanks Macfan424 and Gov, that all makes sense.

I'll add that to the front page as well.

#3,333 ·
Hi guys!

I am an owner of a D-Class AVR(SONY) and it's time to change it.

But as i didn't like the sound that i get from my D-Class AVR i am afraid that SC-05 won't sound so good too.Is SC-05 ''musical'' enough or should i get SONY 5400 ES instead?Is SC-05 better piece of equipment than 5400?

I am confused,because my last choise os a D-Class AVR wasn't so good....(SONY DB200)

#3,334 ·
Some of you may recall my previous posts discussing my disappointment with the SC-05 as an upgrade to the Elite VSX-49TXi.

I mainly use an AVR for 2 channel listening with SACD, DVD audio, and original master recordings through an Elite 47Ai player. I also listen to satellite radio through a HD DVR. Between the SO and myself, audio is played several hours everyday, and even longer on weekends.

I wanted to upgrade from the 49 to the SC for the HDMI connectivity, as the 49 has none. But in that process, the loss of audio quality has been a step or two backwards.

With the price of the SC-09 being 3 times higher than the 05, it looks like I'll continue enjoying the 49. Fortunately for me, the AVS sponsor I bought the SC from will not charge me any return or restocking fees.

Thanks for all the post replies!

Mike

#3,335 ·
Sorry it didn't work out for you Mike.

Very glad it's not going to cost you monetarily.

Hope you find one that suits your needs.

Out curiousity, what kind of speakers are you using?

#3,336 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR /forum/post/15302716

page 26

When you do MCACC, it should know you don't have a center speaker in the initial analyzing..

Should not be a problem and someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

ss9001 did a pretty good MCACC file here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14034602

it has a zipped data file linked you can download.

Latest MCACC manual for the MCACC are linked on the first page.
http://www.pioneer-america.com/Stati...ctions0708.pdf

Latest software 2.1 is here:
http://www.pioneer-america.com/Stati..._e_ver_2_1.exe

Thanks for the reply - already have the s/w & manual - looking for a *.csv file w/ raw MCACC data though. The spreadsheet SS9001 posted has multiple datasets on the same tab, without knowing the basic file structure I can't re-create a file that the MCACC app will open.

Could you (or anyone else) PM me if you're willing to send a data file? I'm a bit too paranoid about email harvesting to list my address in this thread.

More questions - is the s/w limited to just the 9 octave EQ bands or is it possible to use parametric correction? What's the gain / cut range? Currently using a DCX2496 for room correction & dipole EQ, wondering if MCACC has any overlapping capability..

Is there a technical discussion thread for MCACC or is this the appropriate area?

Thanks!

#3,337 ·
Links added to front page today:

General information:

What is DIALNORM? Secrets of Home Theater Magazine

Discussions/Tips:

General Subwoofer settings - thanks Macfan424

Internet radio

Reviews from Members:

BigMike66

#3,338 ·
ToSi;

1. I think I still have one on my laptop..

Will have to look. If I do, I'll just upload it on my website or something.

2. I'll leave that to someone much more qualified then me to answer that.. sorry.

3. MCACC is part of the SC-05/07, so I don't see why not.

Always good to learn something new... and most of the discussions here lead to some brilliant information

#3,339 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasol /forum/post/15305662

Hi guys!

I am an owner of a D-Class AVR(SONY) and it's time to change it.

But as i didn't like the sound that i get from my D-Class AVR i am afraid that SC-05 won't sound so good too.Is SC-05 ''musical'' enough or should i get SONY 5400 ES instead?Is SC-05 better piece of equipment than 5400?

I am confused,because my last choise os a D-Class AVR wasn't so good....(SONY DB200)

Welcome to the forums, parasol!

I think you'll find most of us here are very happy with the SC-05/07.

I find it very musical. The most common adjective in the member's reviews are "WOW", and "it makes my speakers come alive".

These are new beasts. IMO, I doubt you would find it lacking in musical ability

Like anything, I would suggest you preview the SC with speakers similar to what you have if you have the opportunity.

#3,340 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley /forum/post/15301856

..I'm going to source and buy a 2nd hand 59TX and be done with for a few years till the amps I would like that can support HD sound are within my price range

Having owned both 49 & 59TXi, I can't fault your decision to find a used one

That said, at first I thought I'd miss the "warm-ish" 59 sound, but like many things "audiophile", the mind's memory of sound differences is fleeting
I honestly think the ice amps are up to the same hi standards set by Pioneer MOSFET class A/B designs and if I put the 2 of them together in the same room with MCACC turned off, I doubt I could tell any difference. I did find the MCACC tuning was different at least for my room & speakers at 125 Hz which could also help explain what you hear. The SC-09 sets 125 Hz anywhere from 1 to 4 dB higher than the 09 across the front 3. But there was even more profound difference in my surrounds with totally different levels at 125 between the 2 receivers and from side to side. Could be due to the pro reverb adjustment which I didn't use in the 59 or the phase control/standing wave filters. Who knows for sure...but overall I do like the SC-09 sound better, seems more "balanced".

I also admit to a nostalgic "fondness" for the 59, but I think that's more due to its excellent robust build quality rather than features. A receiver that weighs as much as it does just has to sound good

I wish you good luck on your quest. If you don't need HDMI, can use an external HDMI switcher or don't need TrueHD, dts-ma or DD+, then a 59 will be an excellent choice sound wise. You can't go wrong with one.

ss9001