AVS Forum banner

Official Codec/Container Test Videos

49K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  daves5073 
#1 ·
EDIT: I have been informed that the drop.io links no longer work. You can get the entire collection in two parts here: part 1 , part 2

All current-generation streamers can play standard encodes with ease. They'll all do Divx/Xvid and h.264 DVD rips with AC3 or MP3 audio. Nearly all will do reasonable BD rips as well. It's only when you get to the really high-end encodes or uncommon stuff that you can run into compatibility issues.

Here is what is included in this collection of test files to determine the limits of a given device. I've tried to cover all the bases, but if something is missing, please let me know.
  • M2TS: Standard 1080p M2TS ripped from a blu-ray
  • DVR-MS: Microsoft's old proprietary TV recording format
  • WMV9: 1080p WMV9 video with 5.1 WMA audio
  • HDTV: 1080i 60hz HDTV rip, no audio
  • AVCHD: 1080p M2TS from a Sony HD camcorder
  • Improper encode: The infamous Planet Earth clip with an absurd 16 reframes. The bird scene stutters even on high end PCs
  • DTS: Standard DTS 5.1 audio
  • DTS-MA: 7.1 DTS-MA lossless audio
  • Dolby TrueHD: 7.1 lossless TrueHD audio
  • MP4: 1080p L5.0 Apple trailer with 9 reframes and AAC audio
  • 5.1 FLAC + SSA: Multichannel FLAC audio and SSA (ASS 4.0) subs including complex styles and transitions
  • OGG: 720p Ogg Theora video with Vorbis audio
  • RMVB: Real Video variable bitrate. Unknown if it is RM9 or RM10, as they both use the same header (RV40)
  • TRP: 1080p Kaon DVB Transport Stream with dual AC3 audio
  • UTF-8: MKV with the following UTF-8 SRT sub tracks: Arabic, Chinese, English, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Thai, Turkish and Vietnamese
  • Deinterlacing: 1080i test pattern to determine deinterlacing capabilities (see here for details)

If anybody can point me to small (under 300MB if possible) DVD and BD ISOs with menus and/or a short clip with 7.1 FLAC, I'd love to add them.

See less See more
#3 ·
A unified list of test files is a great idea. Thanks for posting them. Here are my results using an Xtreamer with 1.0.3.1 firmware. All files were first tested streaming over wired Ethernet and Samba and then again using a USB drive. I found no difference between the two.:
  • M2TS: Standard 1080p M2TS ripped from a blu-ray - (8.3mbps-1080p-30fps-L4.1-3ref.m2ts) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • DVR-MS: Microsoft's old proprietary TV recording format (6mbps-480i-MPEG-ASF.dvr-ms) - FILE INVISIBLE TO XTREAMER, NOT TESTED
  • WMV9: 1080p WMV9 video with 5.1 WMA audio - (8mbps-1080p-24fps-WMV9-6chWMA.wmv) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • HDTV: 1080i 60hz HDTV rip - (10mbps-1080i-60fps-L5.1-8ref-HDTV.mkv) - WOULD NOT PLAY
  • AVCHD: 1080p M2TS from a Sony HD camcorder - (11.6mbps-1080p-AVCHD-Sony-Camcorder.m2ts) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • Improper encode: The infamous Planet Earth clip with an absurd 16 reframes. The bird scene stutters even on high end PCs - (19mbps-1080p-24fps-L5.1-16ref-improper.mkv) - COLOUR PROBLEMS FROM START, STUTTERING AND PICTURE BREAKUP THROUGH BIRD SCENE
  • DTS: Standard DTS 5.1 audio - (10.2mbps-1080p-24fps-L4.1-5ref-DTS.mkv) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • DTS-MA: 7.1 DTS-MA lossless audio - (28mbps-L4.1-DTS-MA.m2ts) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • Dolby TrueHD: 7.1 lossless TrueHD audio - (30mbps-L4.1-TrueHD.m2ts) - NO AUDIO, OTHERWISE PICTURE OK
  • MP4: Apple trailer with 9 reframes and AAC audio - (4377kbps-1080p-24fps-L5.0-9ref-AAC.mp4) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • 5.1 FLAC + SSA: Multichannel FLAC audio and SSA subs including complex styles and transitions - (L4.1-8ref-6ch-FLAC-SSAsubs.mkv) - NO AUDIO, PICTURE PERFECT, SUBS DISPLAYED
  • OGG: 720p Ogg Theora video with Vorbis audio - (4.6mbps-720p-30fps-Theora.ogg) - WOULD NOT PLAY
  • RMVB: Real Video variable bitrate Unknown if it is RM9 or RM10, as they both use the same header (RV40) - (SD-25fps-RV40.rmvb) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • TRP: 1080p Kaon DVB Transport Stream with dual AC3 audio - (15mbps-1080p-L4.0-4ref-dualAC3.trp) - PLAYED PERFECTLY

So a total score of 8/14.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iboum /forum/post/17229926

5.1 FLAC + SSA: Multichannel FLAC audio and SSA subs including complex styles and transitions - (L4.1-8ref-6ch-FLAC-SSAsubs.mkv) - NO AUDIO, PICTURE PERFECT, SUBS DISPLAYED

Most streamers do a half-assed job of displaying SSA subs. They don't support the advanced formatting features. Try playing the video on your computer with something that definately supports all the features (XBMC, SMplayer, etc) and then see if the Xtreamer is really displaying the subs correctly. Were there two sets of subtitles, one on top of the screen ond one on the bottom? Were they two different fonts? Did the transition effects work? It should look like this:

#5 ·
I just bought the latest TVix M6600N, verfiy the tested result as foolowing:

THe resuylt seento be better than Streamer.

M2TS: Standard 1080p M2TS ripped from a blu-ray - (8.3mbps-1080p-30fps-L4.1-3ref.m2ts) - PLAYED PERFECTLY

DVR-MS: Microsoft's old proprietary TV recording format (6mbps-480i-MPEG-ASF.dvr-ms) - FILE INVISIBLE TO TVIX

WMV9: 1080p WMV9 video with 5.1 WMA audio - (8mbps-1080p-24fps-WMV9-6chWMA.wmv) - PLAYED PERFECTLY

HDTV: 1080i 60hz HDTV rip - (10mbps-1080i-60fps-L5.1-8ref-HDTV.mkv) -
PLAYED but video JERKY

AVCHD: 1080p M2TS from a Sony HD camcorder - (11.6mbps-1080p-AVCHD-Sony-Camcorder.m2ts) - PLAYED PERFECTLY

Improper encode: The infamous Planet Earth clip with an absurd 16 reframes. The bird scene stutters even on high end PCs - (19mbps-1080p-24fps-L5.1-16ref-improper.mkv) - COLOUR PROBLEMS FROM START, STUTTERING AND PICTURE BREAKUP THROUGH BIRD SCENE

DTS: Standard DTS 5.1 audio - (10.2mbps-1080p-24fps-L4.1-5ref-DTS.mkv) - PLAYED PERFECTLY

DTS-MA: 7.1 DTS-MA lossless audio - (28mbps-L4.1-DTS-MA.m2ts) - PLAYED PERFECTLY

Dolby TrueHD: 7.1 lossless TrueHD audio - (30mbps-L4.1-TrueHD.m2ts) - NO AUDIO, OTHERWISE PICTURE OK

MP4: Apple trailer with 9 reframes and AAC audio - (4377kbps-1080p-24fps-L5.0-9ref-AAC.mp4) - PLAYED PERFECTLY

5.1 FLAC + SSA: Multichannel FLAC audio and SSA subs including complex styles and transitions - (L4.1-8ref-6ch-FLAC-SSAsubs.mkv) - PLAYED PERFECTLY

OGG: 720p Ogg Theora video with Vorbis audio - (4.6mbps-720p-30fps-Theora.ogg) - CAN'T PLAY -NOT SUPPORTED

RMVB: Real Video variable bitrate Unknown if it is RM9 or RM10, as they both use the same header (RV40) - (SD-25fps-RV40.rmvb) - PLAYED PERFECTLYTRP: 1080p Kaon DVB Transport Stream with dual AC3 audio - (15mbps-1080p-L4.0-4ref-dualAC3.trp) - PLAYED PERFECTLY

#8 ·
im too lazy to test it all but for now on the new WDTV live this plays just fine the bird scene is quite nuts but it seems to be smooth.

Improper encode: The infamous Planet Earth clip with an absurd 16 reframes. The bird scene stutters even on high end PCs - (19mbps-1080p-24fps-L5.1-16ref-improper.mkv)

#12 ·
This is a good idea. I would suggest though that you name the files with an appended or prepended number so that people can keep them straight on which one is which when playing them. Then a table could be generated of tested system configuration and the results.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/17227581

All current-generation streamers can play standard encodes with ease. They'll all do Divx/Xvid and h.264 DVD rips with AC3 or MP3 audio. Nearly all will do reasonable BD rips as well. It's only when you get to the really high-end encodes or uncommon stuff that you can run into compatibility issues.

Below is a collection of test files to determine the limits of a given device. I've tried to cover all the bases, but if something is missing, please let me know. All files have been uploaded to drop.io because they're one of the few file hosts that doesn't have annoying transfer limits, capchas or timers. Once I'm sure there's nothing worth testing that isn't included, I'll bundle it up into one big pack.
  • M2TS: Standard 1080p M2TS ripped from a blu-ray - link
  • DVR-MS: Microsoft's old proprietary TV recording format - link
  • WMV9: 1080p WMV9 video with 5.1 WMA audio - link
  • HDTV: 1080i 60hz HDTV rip, no audio - link
  • AVCHD: 1080p M2TS from a Sony HD camcorder - link
  • Improper encode: The infamous Planet Earth clip with an absurd 16 reframes. The bird scene stutters even on high end PCs - part1 part2
  • DTS: Standard DTS 5.1 audio link
  • DTS-MA: 7.1 DTS-MA lossless audio - link
  • Dolby TrueHD: 7.1 lossless TrueHD audio - link
  • MP4: 1080p L5.0 Apple trailer with 9 reframes and AAC audio - link
  • 5.1 FLAC + SSA: Multichannel FLAC audio and SSA subs including complex styles and transitions - part1 part2 part3 part4
  • OGG: 720p Ogg Theora video with Vorbis audio - link
  • RMVB: Real Video variable bitrate. Unknown if it is RM9 or RM10, as they both use the same header (RV40) - link
  • TRP: 1080p Kaon DVB Transport Stream with dual AC3 audio - link
  • UTF-8: MKV with the following UTF-8 SRT sub tracks: Arabic, Chinese, English, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Thai, Turkish and Vietnamese - link
  • Deinterlacing: 1080i test pattern to determine deinterlacing capabilities (see here for details) - link

If anybody can point me to small (under 300MB if possible) DVD and BD ISOs with menus and/or a short clip with 7.1 FLAC, I'd love to add them.

Instead of my just hijacking your files would you mind if I put these files on my domain which would enable immediate fast download? You also can upload more media (if you come across) to the same place.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe /forum/post/17532226

Instead of my just hijacking your files would you mind if I put these files on my domain which would enable immediate fast download? You also can upload more media (if you come across) to the same place.

Drop.io is a free file hosting site, not my site. You can use the links I posted or host the files yourself. Your call.

#20 ·
Xtreamer Firmware 2.02:
  • M2TS: Standard 1080p M2TS ripped from a blu-ray - (8.3mbps-1080p-30fps-L4.1-3ref.m2ts) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • DVR-MS: Microsoft's old proprietary TV recording format (6mbps-480i-MPEG-ASF.dvr-ms) - FILE INVISIBLE TO XTREAMER, NOT TESTED
  • WMV9: 1080p WMV9 video with 5.1 WMA audio - (8mbps-1080p-24fps-WMV9-6chWMA.wmv) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • HDTV: 1080i 60hz HDTV rip - (10mbps-1080i-60fps-L5.1-8ref-HDTV.mkv) - PLAYED BUT JERKY + NO SOUND ************
  • AVCHD: 1080p M2TS from a Sony HD camcorder - (11.6mbps-1080p-AVCHD-Sony-Camcorder.m2ts) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • Improper encode: The infamous Planet Earth clip with an absurd 16 reframes. The bird scene stutters even on high end PCs - (19mbps-1080p-24fps-L5.1-16ref-improper.mkv) - COLOUR PROBLEMS, SOME PICTURE BREAKUP. LESS BREAKUP THAN PREVIOUS FIRMWARE. **********
  • DTS: Standard DTS 5.1 audio - (10.2mbps-1080p-24fps-L4.1-5ref-DTS.mkv) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • DTS-MA: 7.1 DTS-MA lossless audio - (28mbps-L4.1-DTS-MA.m2ts) - PLAYED PERFECTLY IN STEREO ON TV.
  • Dolby TrueHD: 7.1 lossless TrueHD audio - (30mbps-L4.1-TrueHD.m2ts) - PLAYED PERFECTLY *********
  • MP4: Apple trailer with 9 reframes and AAC audio - (4377kbps-1080p-24fps-L5.0-9ref-AAC.mp4) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • 5.1 FLAC + SSA: Multichannel FLAC audio and SSA subs including complex styles and transitions - (L4.1-8ref-6ch-FLAC-SSAsubs.mkv) - PLAYED PERFECT WITH AUDIO. SUBS ONLY AT BOTTOM **********
  • OGG: 720p Ogg Theora video with Vorbis audio - (4.6mbps-720p-30fps-Theora.ogg) - WOULD NOT PLAY. 'INVALID MUSIC FILE'
  • RMVB: Real Video variable bitrate Unknown if it is RM9 or RM10, as they both use the same header (RV40) - (SD-25fps-RV40.rmvb) - PLAYED PERFECTLY
  • TRP: 1080p Kaon DVB Transport Stream with dual AC3 audio - (15mbps-1080p-L4.0-4ref-dualAC3.trp) - PLAYED PERFECTLY AUDIO TRACK 1/2. TRACK 2/2 MUTE?

So some improvements over the last test with 1.03.1 firmware. The differences are marked *************.

The TrueHD file now works, as does the FLAC audio track. The HDTV 60Hz clip also worked this time but without sound.

#23 ·
Here are my WDTV Live test results. I've got my WDTV Live connected to a LCD TV using a HDMI connector (no external reciever or such)..

Notice that I'm no professional so I could be mistaken about these results. The files were played from an external Western Digital Passport harddrive (500GB)

# M2TS: OK

# DVR-MS: Microsoft's old proprietary TV recording format - OK

# WMV9: 1080p WMV9 video with 5.1 WMA audio - NO AUDIO

# HDTV: 1080i 60hz HDTV rip, no audio - OK

# AVCHD: 1080p M2TS from a Sony HD camcorder - OK

# Improper encode: The infamous Planet Earth clip with an absurd 16 reframes. The bird scene stutters even on high end PCs - OK (Perhaps there's some very small stuttering but I could be mistaken, very hard for me to see anyway..)

# DTS: Standard DTS 5.1 audio link - OK

# DTS-MA: 7.1 DTS-MA lossless audio - OK

# Dolby TrueHD: 7.1 lossless TrueHD audio - NO AUDIO

# MP4: 1080p L5.0 Apple trailer with 9 reframes and AAC audio - OK

# 5.1 FLAC + SSA: OK

# OGG: 720p Ogg Theora video with Vorbis audio - N/A

# RMVB: Real Video variable bitrate. N/A

# TRP: 1080p Kaon DVB Transport Stream with dual AC3 audio - OK, Only audio track 1 available

# UTF-8: MKV with the following UTF-8 SRT sub tracks: OK, however some subs looked like a few chars missing (Vietnamese for example)..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.