AVS Forum banner
2M views 17K replies 823 participants last post by  Inniswhe 
#1 ·

Link to Anthem MRX Page

MRX Series .pdf Literature Download
  • Anthem Quality!
  • Anthem Performance!
  • Exclusive Anthem Technology like the award-winning Anthem Room Correction included.
  • Price! Extraordinary for everything you get!
  • Power to spare! Every model offers 7 channels of power more continuous power than anything in their price range: MRX 700: 120 watts per channel, MRX 500: 100 watts per channel, MRX 300: 80 watts per channel

3D ready receivers with optional iPod dock
Anthem just announced their brand new line of 3D ready A/V receivers. The MRX series features four receivers: the MRX 300, MRX 500, MRX 700, and MRX 900, all featuring 7 channels of amplification (MRX 900 will have 9 channels of amplification) and 4 HDMI in/1 out (MRX 900 will have 7 HDMI in/1 out). Bringing the company's award winning technology to its newest line, Anthem's MRX receivers are all equipped with the critically acclaimed Anthem Room Correction (ARC) system.

A highly anticipated release, the Anthem MRX receivers include all the latest audio formats inc luding Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Pro Logic IIz, and DTS-HD Master Audio and support internet radio (except MRX 300) and HD Radio (MRX 700 and MRX 900). In addition, the MRX series will process 3D movies and television when paired with a 3DTV and a 3D capable source component making them the perfect addition for 3D enabled home theaters. The MRX receivers boast amplifier sections embodying Anthem's design focus on low noise, low distortion and "real" power. Standard on all Anthem products, the receivers come with the company's hallmark of user-friendly menus and easy operation.

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Anthem Room Correction (ARC)
  • A very beefy amp - more real' power than the competition!
  • Dual-processor audio DSP
  • Video Conversion from Composite Video and Component Video to HDMI
  • Scaling up to 1080p60
  • 1080p24 mode
  • Dolby Volume
  • AM/FM Tuner
  • 3D Support via software upgrade

DECODING
  • Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby Digital EX
  • DTS-HD Master Audio
  • DTS-ES (Matrix, Discrete)
  • DTS 96/24

LISTENING MODES
  • AnthemLogic-Music
  • AnthemLogic-Cinema
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Movie, Music, Game)
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIz
  • DTS Neo:6 (Music, Cinema)
  • Dolby Virtual Speaker (Wide, Reference)
  • All Channel Stereo
  • Dolby Digital EX

INPUTS
  • 4 HDMI Inputs
  • Analog Video Inputs: 4 Composite + 3 Component
  • Digital Audio Inputs: 2 Coaxial + 3 Optical
  • 7 Stereo Analog RCA Inputs
  • 2 USB Inputs (MRX 700/500)
  • HDMI On-Screen Display - setup, video adjustments, status, song navigation

CUSTOM INSTALLATION
  • IR Input
  • IR Emitter Output
  • Trigger Output
  • Second Zone
  • RS-232 Control

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
  • Video Configuration Memorized by Source
  • Dolby Headphone
  • Backlit Remote Control
  • Sidemount Rack Kit (sold separately)
  • Separate Zone 2 remote (non-backlit)

WARRANTY
  • 3 years
  • 1 year on Remote Control

Dimensions
  • MRX 300/500/700 : 6.5" H x 17.25" W x 15.25" D (16.4 cm x 43.9 cm x 39.0 cm)

ModelFMV(US)FMV(CAN)AvailabilityChannelsPower 2 chPower 5 chTransformerHDMI in/outUSB front/backEthernetInternet RadioHD RadioRDSVideo ProcessorMade inWeight
MRX 300$999$1099Early 20117.180W60WE-I4/10/0nonononoGenesis TorinoChina33.4 lb (15.2 kg)
MRX 500$1499$1649Now7.1100W75WE-I4/11/1yesyesnonoGenesis TorinoChina34.3 lb (15.6 kg)
MRX 700$1999$2199Now7.1120W90WToroidal4/11/1yesyesyesyesGenesis TorinoChina35.4 lb (16.1 kg)

ARC Details

WHAT IS ANTHEM ROOM CORRECTION AND WHY IS IT THE BEST ON THE MARKET?

Latest ARC download link

Even when the finest speakers are perfectly positioned, the room itself can have a dramatic negative impact on sound quality. Room dimensions, dead spots, archways, even furniture can turn a room into an additional instrument adding unwanted coloration and resonance to music and movies. ARC adjusts for the room's effect on the speakers in a way that mimics our hearing. Now your Anthem gear and your Paradigm speakers can do what they do best: allow you to lose yourself in the music or movie you're watching. How does ARC do what it does?
  • ARC analyzes each speaker's in-room response then sets output levels, crossover frequencies and room correction parameters for each one.
  • ARC applies correction for up to 7 channels plus the sub!
  • ARC applies Super-Efficient Infinite Impulse Response (IIR) filters in addition to Anthem's custom topology all that means no engine' noise, this baby runs quickly and quietly.
  • Unlike other room correction systems, ARC allows for multiple microphone measurements, that way everyone in the room gets a better listen, not just those sitting directly between the speakers.
  • Processing power to spare!
  • ARCuracy! The connected PC's 64-bit floating point processor calculates the correction curves to the n'th degree of accuracy.
  • Separate configurations for music and movies.
  • Applies correction to peaks and dips in room response - since rooms have both we get a far more natural and accurate response tackling both!
  • Fully automated or manual setup - you choose which procedure you want to use!
USB to Serial Adapter
Keyspan USA-19hs
has proven to be the most reliable and has the most up to date driver list from MAC to Windows 7

Click on help and resources tab on that page for the latest drivers.

These adapters can be easily found inexpensivly through a google search.... Here

See less See more
#1,781 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot /forum/post/0

maybe one of you guys can help me out here, I just brought home the dealers mrx 500 (using as a pre pro) hooked it up started to do a quick set up, went out of the setup menu and the unit froze. I had to unplug it, I did that like 5 times and its gets to powering on and wont get past that just freezes there.

the breif few moments I had sound it sounded very nice.

Im a previous d2 owner, my d2 never had a hicup in 4 years of owning it.

thanks, bob

Which firmware version are you using?

John

#1,782 ·
ok, so I uplugged all the hdmi in cables and the out cable unplugged the unit and plugged it back in and it powered on fine. I plugged the hdmi out back in again and it froze the unit instantly, tried it a couple of times and the same thing. Im using a dvi to hdmi adapter from my infocus 7210 which I used in my d2 for 4 year and it worked fine.

I hate hdmi

#1,786 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot /forum/post/0

sorry 40.08

Get the latest version, it may fix your problem. There have been quite a few fixes since 40.08. Go to the first page of this thread and check the FAQs. There is a link for new firmware.

John

#1,788 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot /forum/post/19928631

I updated the firmware and it appears that the dvi to hdmi adapter is the culprit, actually while waiting for the update I was browsing the manual and it says in there that some adapters may not work.

anyways thanks john,

bob

Bob,

No problem. Call Anthem and they can sell you the Keyspan adapter which is the Gold standard for ARC and firmware updates. They sell it for a good price.

John

#1,789 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright /forum/post/0

Here are my results from ARC. What sucks is that I just did the 50.02 update that I downloaded last night and then I see that 50.04 came out today. Also the 50.02 update did not fix my Dolby Volume from coming on after I turned it off. It still comes on when I turn on the unit or switch inputs.

Do you ever want Dolby Volume to come on? Each input has a Dolby volume setting, so if you want it off just turn it off at the source settings. I would just have it off with my system as a matter of course and just turn it on when I want to make use of it.

#1,790 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmlutz /forum/post/19928791

Do you ever want Dolby Volume to come on? Each input has a Dolby volume setting, so if you want it off just turn it off at the source settings. I would just have it off with my system as a matter of course and just turn it on when I want to make use of it.

Yeah, I just figured that out. Thanks man! I thought that when I turned on the unit that Dolby volume would not turn on. Didn't know that I had to do it in the source. What I don't understand though is why is it louder with Dolby Volume on when it is supposed to compress the sound.

Did anybody notice that the volume doesn't display anymore on the TV after the update?

#1,792 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 /forum/post/19928846

It's the HDMI to DVI adapter not a USB to Serial that is his problem.

thats correct!

and I must say I ran arc and popped in my favorite cd only had time to listen to a few songs but I can tell you Im blown away at how close it sounds compared to my d2, keep in mind that Im using as a pre pro with an nad master m25 amp.

I did notice the poping when advancing to the next cd track, hope that can be fixed in a software update.

I can say that this blows away the marantz av 7005 that I had for a few weeks

#1,793 ·
oh great! I was hoping to purchase the MRX700 and not have anymore damn static popping issues like I'm having with my NAD T785HD. Currently, anytime I turn on the NAD, switch inputs or operate the damn setup menu, I get this damn static crackle sound from the speakers...WTF? Do all receivers do this kind of crap today? Have we not finally moved past all the damn HDMI handshaking issues? can I simply buy a decent receiver that works or do I have to go back to the pacific rim receivers like Integra, Denon and Pioneer to have anything work properly...basically give up a little in sound quality just to ensure the damn thing works?!?!?!?

Simply frustrated and confused now. Any MRX700 owners that can honestly say that this is non issue?

#1,794 ·
Anyone used ARC on magnepans or martin logans yet? I have the magnepan mmg's and found the result of Audyssey to be less then satisfying through an Onkyo 805, whereas they sound fantastic with pure audio mode. I was wondering if ARC would do better - I would assume both would fail if both ARC and Audyssey are only tested / meant for regular monopole speakers. I believe there are far more complexities and room interaction with a true dipole speaker.

#1,795 ·
So, I've seen a lot of questions about what happens if you change something after uploading an ARC Calibration... or what things do you need to configure on the MRX before you can run ARC calibration (such as do you need to zero out old settings before you run ARC Calibration?). I thought I had a decent grasp on this, but I felt like I kept reading conflicting comments and statements in some of the posts I read with things I thought I had read in the MRX Manual, so I sent Nick @ Anthem a list of questions and with his responses put the following together. I hope this will help a few people who have questions or are trying to figure out what things they can change and what they can't change, especially if you are trying to do an A/B test with and without ARC.

As always, Nick recommended that you not change the recommendations that ARC picked. As Jayray is always saying, ARC does a great job, give it a chance.

Bass Management (Crossover Frequency)

Has two profiles, Movie/Music

ARC will override these settings when running Calibration. Even if you have previously set these, ARC will zero them out when running ARC Calibration and set them as appropriate once Calibration is complete. As such there is no need to setup either profile if you intend to run ARC Calibration. And as ARC will automatically zero them out when running Calibration there is no need to zero them out before you can run ARC Calibration.

Changing the Crossover Frequency settings of one of the two profiles after ARC Calibration has been completed and uploaded will not disable ARC on sources that are assigned to use ARC, however as the ARC calculations were based on different crossovers and cannot be recalculated on the fly by the MRX, you may create weak or strong areas in the frequency response around where the crossover were adjusted and may also stress speakers that are not meant to cover the frequency ranges being pushed by the new crossover settings.
Listener Position (Distance to each Speaker from Listening Position)

Must be configured even if you plan to use ARC.

The Listener Position settings have no affect on the process of ARC Calibration. The position settings can be adjusted before or after ARC without affecting the quality of the corrections ARC has applied.

The distance from the Listener Position to each speaker cannot be calculated by ARC as this would require understanding the delays created by the computer which could vary widely. Also calculating the distance of the subwoofer would be very complex due to standing waves.
Level Calibration (Output Level Matching of each Speaker from Listening Position)

ARC will override these settings when running Calibration. Even if you have previously set these, ARC will zero them out when running ARC Calibration and set them as appropriate once Calibration is complete. As such there is no need to set any of the levels if you intend to run ARC Calibration. And as ARC will automatically zero them out when running Calibration there is no need to zero them out before you can run ARC Calibration.

Changing the Level Calibration settings once ARC has been run will not disable ARC on source that are assigned to use ARC. The MRX will simply apply an equal increase/decrease in the volume across the whole frequency range of the channel that is being adjusted.
The Best way to A/B test the difference between using ARC and not using ARC is to assign the same input to two different sources, configure one source to use ARC and one to not use ARC. However, both source will still be using the same Base Management, Listener Position and Level Calibration settings.

All of the above statements are true only for the MRX, Anthem's Statement Series of Equipment is configured differently than the MRX.

#1,796 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot /forum/post/19929065

I can say that this blows away the marantz av 7005 that I had for a few weeks

Hi,

could you give some more detail, how exactly the Anthem is better than the Marantz? The reason is, that I have to decide between those two. I am listening more to music than to movies.

Thanks in advance!

#1,797 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTNT /forum/post/19929240

oh great! I was hoping to purchase the MRX700 and not have anymore damn static popping issues like I'm having with my NAD T785HD. Currently, anytime I turn on the NAD, switch inputs or operate the damn setup menu, I get this damn static crackle sound from the speakers...WTF? Do all receivers do this kind of crap today? Have we not finally moved past all the damn HDMI handshaking issues? can I simply buy a decent receiver that works or do I have to go back to the pacific rim receivers like Integra, Denon and Pioneer to have anything work properly...basically give up a little in sound quality just to ensure the damn thing works?!?!?!?

Simply frustrated and confused now. Any MRX700 owners that can honestly say that this is non issue?

It's my only issue now, but ONLY happens when the audio is changed i.e. DD to no signal to DD or any other signal.

#1,798 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright /forum/post/19928274

Here are my results from ARC. What sucks is that I just did the 50.02 update that I downloaded last night and then I see that 50.04 came out today. Also the 50.02 update did not fix my Dolby Volume from coming on after I turned it off. It still comes on when I turn on the unit or switch inputs.

Hi,

your ARC results should not be affected by the firmware change. If they update ARC then you should redo them unless the notes tell you the measurements are fine and the changes are only in the calculations/targets.

And the Dolby Volume automatically on issue was definitely fixed for me with the previous update.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tony

#1,799 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanser /forum/post/19929692

Hi,

could you give some more detail, how exactly the Anthem is better than the Marantz? The reason is, that I have to decide between those two. I am listening more to music than to movies.

Thanks in advance!

the marantz was just electronic sounding and the sound soundstage was heavily towrds the left no matter what I did, auddessy on or off, and auddessy made it more boomy in my system.

the marantz setup was easier but you dont have to use a laptop to run it, on the other hand arc is much more effective.

most love their marantz and thats great, it just didnt do it for me.

the jury is still out on the mrx, I have only listened to a few songs and from my memory it sound very close to my d2 I had a few weeks ago.

I plan on listening to more material today if I can. I have to pick up a compatable dvi to hdmi adapter.

meanwhile were getting burried with snow again

#1,800 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright /forum/post/0

Hello

You have to shut off Dolby volume for each input in the setup menu. Once you do this it will stay off until you turn it on via the remote or the source input settings. This was addressed on the last firmware update.