AVS Forum banner

Big JBL Theater items for the DIY Guy.

87K views 715 replies 69 participants last post by  uroford 
#1 ·
Last year I met a guy through Craigslist that bought out all the audio gear from a closed down theater in northern Kentucky. I bought some amps from him but at that point he said he sold all of the JBL speakers that came from the theater. Turns out that Scott S and MKTheater bought some of the JBL speakers around the same time and they were probably from the same theater in Kentucky. Long story short, those amps went good with MKTheater's speakers, so I sold them to him for what I paid. End of story.

Well yesterday I saw some big empty JBL horns on Craigslist and called the guy. He bought the complete horns but sold the compression drivers. He said where he got them and it turns it it was the same guy I dealt with last year!!!

I hurried and called the guy and went down to see what he had. Wow, he's got a LOT of JBL cinema speaker stuff. I posted the info in this thread and you can read how this all came about and other opinions:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1310069

I went back this morning to try and get pricing from the owner. Here's the info:

Quote:
He has 21 of the dual 15" models (4648-8).

He has 12 of the 18" model 4645C.

He has 120 of the surround speakers (8330)

He only had 2 of the big 31" x 31" horns and 2445H compression drivers left after selling the others. He does have the horns and throats for that model, but sold all the CD's separately.

And he thinks the 15's that go with it will be around $225-$250 or so. Same with the 18's, but did say it might be closer to $250 for the 18's.

He said he would sell the surrounds for around $50-$55 each! But that I might have to buy them all for that price. Sounded like it leaned more towards $50 each.

He also had 6 smaller JBL horns and compression drivers. Model was 2447H. The horn looked like it was around 20" x 20" or so. Maybe he had more than 6, I'm not 100% sure on that.

The last time he had this stuff it went REALLY fast and I couldn't get any of it. If anyone wants anything, please let me know. I think it would be tough to ship the cabinets, but I do have some wooden skids. That's how I shipped MKTheater's amps. So maybe you guys want the individual drivers?

Also, I'm not sure what to do about the surround speakers. He said "$50 - $55 each, but I'd like you to buy them all". He has 120 of those. I'd do it if you guys thought people would buy them. If not, then I'd have to get a price for them sold individually. I really don't want to sell left over stuff on Ebay or places like that.

See less See more
#581 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude /forum/post/20203587

Ed,

I am thinking the same thing. I have space limitation for the surrounds. Max height for me would be 15". I wonder if a cabinet could be built with that height and still be able to retain the good audio characteristics of the speaker.

I honestly doubt you'll have any issues, especially as surrounds. If you were going to use them as mains, then I could see sticking to a very close original design. I think surrounds allow for a bit more leeway in their layout.

Scott, if you want me to check on shipping for those big horns, just let me know.

#583 ·
Erich beat me to it. As long as we keep the total enclosure volumes the same (for each driver), and the driver orientation as close to the original as possible, we will be fine. The woofer won't care if it's in an 8x8x8 enclosure or a 12x5.5x8 (estimate) enclosure as long as the volume is the same. I look forward to laying out a 'custom' enclosure. Heck, at least you have 15" to work with! I'm stuck with 10.5"

#584 ·
Hey Erich, I know you have a ton going on, but would you mind grabbing the placement of the drivers on the baffle as well as the baffle height. I have as much room as I need, so I can duplicate the baffle. I can wait on the mid chamber, but want to start cutting tomorrow afternoon if at all possible.

#585 ·
Hi all, just wondering what you guys think of the sound quality of the 8330 surrounds? Are they bright or harsh at high (105db) volumes?

I am thinking of ordering 6 "8330 guts" for surrounds and maybe 6 for the front LCRs. Please let me know.

THX,

WMD

#586 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 /forum/post/20204107

Hey Erich, I know you have a ton going on, but would you mind grabbing the placement of the drivers on the baffle as well as the baffle height. I have as much room as I need, so I can duplicate the baffle. I can wait on the mid chamber, but want to start cutting tomorrow afternoon if at all possible.

I promise I'll get that done this evening. I just got back from picking up more Anarchy flat packs from the CNC company. Gotta go deliver some mulch, then stop by the company helping to import the waveguides from Poland, then come back and box up some more surrounds. I'll get the measurements then. Promise.

That import thing is NOT easy. Form after form after form.

#588 ·
I was told there are new forms to fill out this year for overseas shipping, and the shipper didn't even know how to fill out some parts. But after a few phone calls, I think it's finally ready to go. There's still some unknown costs with customs and taxes, but we think the brokerage fees have been figured out. The problem is that it's not just dealing with one company. Somebody has to be contacted in Poland to pick the pallet up, they hand it off to another company, then another company, etc. It was going to get dropped in Chicago and I thought I'd have to drive there to pick it up (6 hours each way). But luckily they found a way to get it delivered right to Cincinnati.

I'm sure people are aggravated about it, but I really don't have much control over the shipping schedule. I just keep filling out the proper forms and waiting. Hopefully today was the final step and they'll set up a pickup next week. If not, I'm going to swim there myself and float the pallet back home.

#590 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Horton /forum/post/20194007

If Erich's port diameter and length of 4.5 inches is correct, then based on the volume, the tuning is right at 40-41Hz. Sound right to you guys? That's with a SWAG for the volume the drivers, port, etc. take up.

edit: JBL lists the -3 point as 70Hz. What am I missing here?

Eddie-

I couldn't attach the picture in a PM so here are some detals"

Front baffle is 19.0" x 14.0"

I hope it's legible.

PS- Weird, Eddies mail box won't accept PM's. Worked before.

#594 ·
Email sent.

#595 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD /forum/post/20206944

Hi all, just wondering what you guys think of the sound quality of the 8330 surrounds? Are they bright or harsh at high (105db) volumes?

I am thinking of ordering 6 "8330 guts" for surrounds and maybe 6 for the front LCRs. Please let me know.

THX,

WMD

Nothing from anyone?

#597 ·
Since several of us are building our own custom enclosures, someone should start a build thread for these JBL surrounds. Any takers?

I am several days from making saw dust because I haven't even started to lay out a cabinet with 10.5" max height. I need more info.

That being said, does anyone have the T/S parameters for the drivers in these surrounds? I'd like to see how they respond to enclosure volume, ported / sealed, tuning frequency, etc.

#598 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/20207798

I was told there are new forms to fill out this year for overseas shipping, and the shipper didn't even know how to fill out some parts. But after a few phone calls, I think it's finally ready to go. There's still some unknown costs with customs and taxes, but we think the brokerage fees have been figured out. The problem is that it's not just dealing with one company. Somebody has to be contacted in Poland to pick the pallet up, they hand it off to another company, then another company, etc. It was going to get dropped in Chicago and I thought I'd have to drive there to pick it up (6 hours each way). But luckily they found a way to get it delivered right to Cincinnati.

I'm sure people are aggravated about it, but I really don't have much control over the shipping schedule. I just keep filling out the proper forms and waiting. Hopefully today was the final step and they'll set up a pickup next week. If not, I'm going to swim there myself and float the pallet back home.

I've never received an international pallet, but I can imagine the hassle involved. If anyone is PO'd about the delays they are nuts. This is just the way international shipping works. If it were easy they'd do it themselves.

#599 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager /forum/post/20207977

Eddie-

I couldn't attach the picture in a PM so here are some detals"

Front baffle is 19.0" x 14.0"

I hope it's legible.

PS- Weird, Eddies mail box won't accept PM's. Worked before.

Adding more to that photo.

The edge of the woofer cut out is 3" from the bottom of the box and 3 3/8" from the right.

The bottom edge of the midrange cut out is 3.5" from the bottom of the box and 2.75" from the left of the box.

The edge of the tweeter cutout is 3.5" from the left.

That should help when looking at the photo Wrager posted.

#600 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD /forum/post/20208706

Nothing from anyone?

Just got mine. Shipped and boxed PERFECTLY as per has become the custom from big E.

Ill have them hooked up next week hopefully and can list some impressions. Keep in mind these are going in to a shop environment and will be replacing JBL E90s http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2004.html I bought when they were current, that I'm giving to a friend who is just getting started.

So bad listening environment but valid comparison.. maybe

Also you guys who are buying just the internals, I hope its strictly for aesthetic or re-configuration purposes. Even though the shipping is 90 percent of the cost of the speakers (36 bucks to so-cal) I know I couldn't build a box as nice with a grill plus the time for 36 bucks. They way they are angled is perfect for my shop and I would imagine perfect for the typical "surround" installation too.

"Don't get cheap on me Dodson"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.