AVS Forum banner
973K views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  b_scott 
#1 ·
She just got delivered for some testing the other day. Ah, the joy of having a thinner designed Panasonic . Nice and thin at about 2".

--More to come.......Including a review from Chad B around midnight tonight

Chad B wrote a reveiw >>> Click Here

See less See more
#3,752 ·
Big River has stopped selling 65ST30 with the following note:

"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

anyone know what is wrong with this TV?

#3,754 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews /forum/post/20793560

"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

You are paying well over 3k for a plasma with FB's. Why would anyone want to deal with a $4k plasma that jumps up and down in brightness?

#3,755 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews /forum/post/20792534

if you have universal remote like logitech or URC, you can then map each discrete codes for each input to separate buttons.

let me know if you need these hex discrete input codes. I have all discrete input codes, except ANT input. For ANT input, I create a marco on a button, and this macro execute two commands: input and '1'.

Thx. I have a harmony remote but now just use my DirecTV remote and I was able to program in all the panasonic codes for my TV, DVD and receiver (all panasonic). With auto input switching to the DVD I don't really need the harmony anymore.

Also I found out that can just hit the input button a couple times to scroll through the inputs instead of using the up/down. I love this setup! Simple!

#3,756 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews /forum/post/20793560

"Item Under Review

The problem with these tv's is the fluctuating brightness and now it is under control. The newer units are being produced with the fix installed.

If you buy one of these displays and it has the problem just call pan and get it fixed.

#3,757 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit /forum/post/20794343

The problem with these tv's is the fluctuating brightness and now it is under control. The newer units are being produced with the fix installed.

If you buy one of these displays and it has the problem just call pan and get it fixed.

This seems to be the case with my recently purchased 55ST30 (June build). No fluctuating brightness whatsoever.

#3,760 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews /forum/post/20795179

I am still within 30-day return window with amazon. should I return it and get the new one with fix?

I don't notice brightness fluctuation. or not aware of it even it is there.

Just as well keep it if ya don't notice.

#3,762 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 /forum/post/20793388

Did you use the same cable?

Yes I did. Guess I could try and see if another cable gives me the same problem, but seeing as how it works on another 1080p tv, and my sammy lcd, it shouldnt be that right?

It sucks, bc I really dont want to take advantage of amazon, but it'd be nice to have a tv that isn't faulty..These flashing white pixels I get are not just limited 2 a corner of the scrolling bar like some people have said. Theyre literally flashing/sparkling scattered all over the screen. Sometimes theres like a 100 of them, sometimes only 10..Very weird

#3,763 ·
For those that don't know, Panasonic has a fix for the fbr. It's not a downloadable firmware update, but they will send a tech to your house with an SD card to update it. Word on the street is that it really does fix the issue. I'm going to be calling tomorrow. There is a certain other forum with an FBR thread that has the info on the situation. Also, i believe the TV's are going to be shipping with this fix from here on out.

I imagine that retailers are waiting until their tv's are updated before they ship any more.

#3,765 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada /forum/post/20796947

For those that don't know, Panasonic has a fix for the fbr. It's not a downloadable firmware update, but they will send a tech to your house with an SD card to update it. Word on the street is that it really does fix the issue. I'm going to be calling tomorrow. There is a certain other forum with an FBR thread that has the info on the situation. Also, i believe the TV's are going to be shipping with this fix from here on out.

I imagine that retailers are waiting until their tv's are updated before they ship any more.

Does the 50 inch model have this issue - March build?

#3,768 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 /forum/post/20798094

I have a feb built st30 and i dont see no fbr i have watched harry potter and the half moon prince and other blu-ray and i did not see any if it even on tv shows

After doing a little reading on some other forums, there seems to be a person with Panasonic who has commented on the Fbr issue. There is not a lot of detail given, but Fbr seems to be "energy related". The issue is being addressed with a new EEprom write that needs to be performed by a service tech who is sent to your home. A FW update is not at this time able to address the issue.

#3,769 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz /forum/post/20797825

Yes. Every TV up to this point. But if you don't notice it, then no biggie.

Not every TV, mine is perfect

#3,771 ·

Fluctuating Brightness (FBr) Patch Information (North America)

Do you see brightness fluctuate on your 2011 Panasonic 3D TV (ST30, GT30, VT30) every once in a while? For example, does the entire screen, or portions of the background, go dim/fluctuate/drop/pop/etc. when scenes change? If CATS is off, if you aren't watching poor source material (i.e. cable/satellite/internet...especially hockey and basketball where lights flash no matter what), and if your settings are not ridiculous (don't use Standard or Vivid), then it is likely you are noticing "fluctuating brightness." Others have noticed this and have voiced their concerns to Panasonic. Lucky for us, Panasonic listened to the complaints, noticed the problem, and has patched it. The only way to receive the patch is through an EEPROM update that requires a technician visit (no, it is not available through an internet firmware update in North America, so don't ask). Depending on the authorization received by Panasonic, the technician will either flash your TV with an SD Card, or install a new A-Board. Both of these methods will correctly patch your TV and it's up to Panasonic as to which patch you receive. Most people receive a new A-Board. The only way to get this patch is to call and open a case with Panasonic. The SD Card/A-Board patch is covered by warranty (FREE).

How to get the fluctuating brightness patch:

1. Call Panasonic at 1-800-211-7262 and tell them you see fluctuating brightness on various content (cable, blu-ray, etc.). Make sure to have the TV in front of you when you call.

2. The Panasonic rep will ask you basic questions like if CATS is off, if you have the latest firmware, which settings you use, serial number, etc.

3. Tell them you still see fluctuating brightness with CATS off and the latest firmware installed.

4. Right then, or maybe a phone call later, they should schedule a technician visit to flash your TV with an SD Card, or install a new A-Board (this is most likely). Note that owners of 42" models may need to personally transport the TV to the technician to get serviced.

5. If for some reason they don't know about the update, tell them you want the EEPROM update that is on the SD Card or A-Board that everyone else is getting. Also, tell them the technical bulletin for fluctuating brightness is "Service Reference SH-B34-11-03-REV." This reference number should send the Panasonic representative directly to the right source of info. If you are still having problems then ask for management.

Note that sets that were built in August 2011 and afterward should already have the patch installed (the build date will be on a sticker on the back of the TV). In addition, sets with the serial number of XX1215XXXX and above should already have the patch applied (the serial number will be on the outside of the box, as well as the back of the set). Note that you don't need to have both an August build AND a 1215 serial number. If your set was built prior to August 2011, it is likely you have a set with fluctuating brightness; however, it has been reported that some sets manufactured as early as July, and/or sets with serial numbers of 1213/1214, have already had the patch applied from the factory. Also, many have reported that some stores have had Panasonic patch older sets in their inventory. Thus, it is very possible to receive a patched set that was built before August, and/or with a serial number less than 1215. The best way to confirm is to check your PDP EEP values (see below PDP EEP values).

If you have a patched value, then make sure you don't cry wolf about fluctuating brightness. Many new owners with patched values often claim to see fluctuating brightness, but in reality they are most likely seeing fluctuations introduced by a poor source (cable/satellite/streamed internet), or an event that has flashing lights such as basketball and hockey. Before you return your perfectly fine TV, or have Panasonic needlessly patch an already patched set, make sure you 100% know you are seeing fluctuating brightness on a high quality blu-ray that you are extremely familiar with.

Also, even though firmware 2.070 stated that it "Improves issue where the picture appears to dim and brighten randomly," it did not fix FBr (it apparently fixes some fluctuations that occur in vivid mode). Subsequent firmware updates have not provided the patch either. You can still update your firmware after the SD Card/A-Board patch, nothing bad will happen, it just won't patch FBr.

To do more research on the issue, type "2011 Panasonic Fluctuating Brightness Master Discussion Thread" in Google and click on the first link. Start by reading Gotchaa's post on page 204 (post 4079), then skip to the later pages in the thread to see people's responses after receiving the patch.

Should I do anything before getting my TV patched? (OPTIONAL)

Many have noted that an A-Board swap may change some factory-set RGB-DRV and RGB-CUT values, which may alter the picture. It is recommended that each owner document these values prior to receiving the patch so that you can restore these values if/when you choose to do so. Note that many owners did/do not document or restore any DRV/CUT values and have not noticed a reduction in picture quality. That being said, if you are comfortable traversing the service menu it does not hurt to document the pre- and post-patch values just in case you want to restore them. If you are not comfortable traversing the service menu then don't bother as you will likely not notice a difference. To my knowledge, these values can be obtained by the following procedure:

[Note that I write "to my knowledge" because I haven't gone through the process of writing down DRV/CUT values. If you have, and want to update the procedure I have listed below, please let me know. All should note that this process is more complicated than just checking your PDP EEP value and you can damage your TV if you don't know what you are doing (look further down in this post for instructions to check your PDP EEP)]

1. Turn TV On.

2. With TV on, hold down the volume down (-) button on the right side of the TV (not the controller).

3. While holding down the volume (-) button, point the remote at the TV IR sensor and press the "info" button on the controller three times.

4. The service menu will pop up after a few seconds.

5. Press 1 on the remote twice to get to the WB-Adjust screen.

6. Press 7 on the remote to scroll through the color temperatures.

7. Press 3 on the remote to cycle through the R-DRV, G-DRV, B-DRV, R-CUT, G-CUT and B-CUT values (document these values pre-patch, and restore them post-patch).

8. Use Vol- or Vol+ to alter the values.

9. When you are done turn the TV off or unplug it.

SD and HD matrices will have different values, so you will need to enter the service menu two separate times and document/restore the separate RGB-DRV and RGB-CUT values for each matrix; use a 1080i/p signal for the HD matrix and 480i/p signal for the SD matrix.

How do I know if I have the patch?

So your A-Board was swapped, you received an SD Card flash, you bought a set built after July/August and/or have a serial number greater than 1213/1214/1215, or you bought a set from a store that may have patched older builds and you want to know if your set received the patch. If you've seen FBr before, it is recommended to watch content where you previously saw FBr and see if it still shows up. If you want numbers, you need to check your PDP EEP value in the service menu since the PDP EEP value pre/post patch is different (value increases when you receive the patch). Each size and model has different values. Here are pre and post PDP EEP values from members who received the patch (accumulated by jhatfiel of high def junkies .com, and other HDJ and AVS forum members) (PM me with more data and I will update it here):

42ST30 A-Board swap (ceevee): 32.5c (pre); 33.51 (post)

42ST30 A-Board swap (mfrey0118): 33.51 (post)

42ST30 A-Board swap (EC8CH): 33.51 (post)

42ST30 A-Board swap (Saturn49): 32.5c (pre); 32.59 (post: didn't work); 33.51 (post post: worked)

46ST30 (Canada) SD update (Joepro): 42.5d (post)

46ST30 A-Board swap (artondrius): 42.5c (pre); 42.5d (post)

46ST30 A-Board swap (jhatfiel): 42.5b (pre); 42.5d (post)

46ST30 July 2011 build (QN52): 42.5d (from factory)

50ST30 A-Board swap (tazz3): 52.5d (post)

50ST30 A-Board swap (pt6998): 52.59 (post)

50ST30 A-Board swap (pannyjunky): 52.5b (pre); 52.59 (post)

50ST30 A-Board swap (samshaver): 52.59 (post)

50ST30 A-Board swap (jaydro): 52.5b (pre); 52.5c (post)

50ST30 A-Board swap (catcher1): 52.5b (pre); 52.5d (post)

50ST30 A-Board swap (adam2104): 52.5c (pre); 52.5d (post)

50ST30 SD update (mraak): 52.5d (post)

50ST30 SD update (jimmienoman): 52.5d (post)

50ST30 SD update (whipit/tailwhip): 52.5d (post)

55ST30 A-Board swap (lynxx): 63.52 (pre); 63.54 (post)

55ST30 A-Board swap (sceavis): 63.52 (pre); 63.54 (post)

60ST30 SD update (65Cobra427SC): 72.51 (pre), 72.53 (post)

60ST30 A-Board swap (Tag): 72.50 (pre), 72.53 (post)

60ST30 A-Board swap (moshock): 72.51 (pre); 72.53 (post)

60ST30 A-Board swap (ssft): 72.51 (pre), 72.53 (post)

60ST30 A-Board swap (Dackz): 72.53 (post)

60ST30 November 2011 build/MJ1314xxxx serial (mfrey0118): 72.53 (from factory)

65ST30 A-board swap (tfoltz): 82.53 (post)

65ST30 A-Board swap (tbass2k): 82.51 (pre); 82.53 (post)

65ST30 September 2011 build (Bucks): 82.53 (from factory)

50GT30 A-Board swap (bottomramen): 52.0b (pre); 53.41 (post)

50GT30 A-Board swap (MobileCortex): 52.0b (pre); 53.41 (post)

50GT30 A-Board swap (madwolfa): 53.41 (post)

50GT30 SD update (nickfro): 52.0b (pre); 53.41 (post)

55GT30 SD update (bsather): 62.43 (pre); 62.46 (post)

55GT30 A-Board swap (jimmyt): 62.43 (pre); 62.46 (post)

55GT30 A-Board swap (lsmd19): 62.44 (pre); 62.46 (post)

55GT30 A-Board swap (samdee): 62.44 (pre)

55GT30 July 2011 build (MarieAntoinette): 62.46 (from factory)

60GT30 A-Board swap (jigesh): 73.42 (pre); 73.44 (post)

60GT30 A-Board swap (rkings): 73.44 (post)

60GT30 August 2011 build/xx1213xxxx serial (Matt): 73.44 (from factory)

65GT30 SD update (RichB): 82.42 (pre); 82.44 (post) (note: perhaps 83.44?)

65GT30 SD update (sboychuck): 83.42 (pre); 83.44 (post)

65GT30 A-Board swap (davemelo): 83.44 (post)

65GT30 A-Board swap (JShare86): 83.42 (pre); 83.44 (post)

55VT30 A-Board swap (TitusTroy): 64.44 (pre); 64.47 (post)

55VT30 August 2011 build/MJxxxxxxxx serial (mvp2005fan): 64.47 (from factory)

55VT30 September 2011 build/xx1248xxxx serial (VFib): 64.47 (from factory)

65VT30 A-Board swap (sigmahigh): 84.46 (post)

65VT30 A-Board swap (jmpage2): 84.44 (pre); 84.46 (post)

65VT30 A-Board swap (jkozlow3): 84.44 (pre); 84.46 (post)

Just for emphasis: If you have a patched value and think you see FBr, make sure you 100% know you are seeing fluctuating brightness on a high quality blu-ray that you are extremely familiar with.

How to get into service menu to check PDP EEP (Note that while this is a very easy process, you can damage your TV if you don't follow the instructions and don't know what you are doing; so stop now if you are nervous):

1. Turn TV On.

2. With TV on, hold down the volume down (-) button on the right side of the TV (not the controller).

3. While holding down the volume down (-) button, point the remote at the TV IR sensor and press the "info" button on the controller three times.

4. The service menu will pop up after a few seconds.

The default screen that pops up will show the PDP EEP value; don't push any other buttons. When you are done turn the TV off or unplug it.

What does FBr look like?

Here are some pre/post A-Board swap videos that show fluctuating brightness has been removed on my 65ST30. Read the comments and watch in HD for best results.

Old: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Social Network 1)

New: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Social Network 1) *FIXED*

Old: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Social Network 2)

New: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Social Network 2) *FIXED*

Old: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Incredibles 1)

New: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Incredibles 1) *FIXED*

Old: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Inception)

New: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Inception) *FIXED*

Old: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Quantum of Solace)

New: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Quantum of Solace) *FIXED*

Old: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Ratatouille)

New: 2011 Panasonic 65ST30 - Fluctuating Brightness (Ratatouille) *FIXED*

What's happening with the rest of the world?

Visit this thread to see what is happening with the 2011 UK Panasonics .

PM me if you live somewhere other than NA or UK and have info to add here.

If you find any of this information inaccurate or incomplete, let me know.

#3,772 ·
I believe FW 2.070 addresses a problem with C.A.T.S.

Probably a good idea to update to 2.070 anyway whether you think you have a problem with C.A.T.S. or not.

For FBr schedule a tech visit with Panasonic to update your TV.

#3,774 ·
All of the sudden, I can't get Viera Connect to come up on my 50ST30. I hit the button on the remote and nothing happens (yes, everything else works and I put in new batteries). After a moment or two, I get a "connection to server failed 006" message. The network test checks out fine. I'm hard wired to my router. Any others had similar issues? Suggestions?

#3,775 ·
Okay, so now it's working but it's SLOOOW... like the tv is running low on memory? Very slowly drawing the boxes and very slowly filling them with content. Nearly unresponsive to navigate the menus on Viera Connect as well. Is there a way to clear the memory or reset something on the TV without having to lose all the custom settings I have?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.