AVS Forum banner
1M views 5K replies 834 participants last post by  Hamlet00 
#1 ·
I think it is time. Please, post the type of TV you got: 32", 40", 46, or 52" and settings you use. It would also be helpful if agree what kind of channels/HD sources/movies types to turn Cinemotion on or off.

Wiki Calibration link.

http://tjexbr.wiki.zoho.com/HomePage.html

#353 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vumcrab /forum/post/11757942

Actually, I speak for everybody, it's just that some of them don't want you to know that I do.

In that case, you're the guy I'll ask. Do you use separate settings for the motion enhancer and cinemotion for SD, HD, BD, DVD, etc., or do you stick with more of an Overall setting?

Thanks again vumcrab.

#354 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtsk /forum/post/11758050

In that case, you're the guy I'll ask. Do you use separate settings for the motion enhancer and cinemotion for SD, HD, BD, DVD, etc., or do you stick with more of an Overall setting?

Thanks again vumcrab.

My 52xbr5 comes in tomorrow, but at first, I'll only have it connected to SD/HD via Comcast cable. I'm getting the PS3 a little closer to xmas for BD stuff. A buddy of mine has the 46xbr4 and he uses cinemotion=auto1 motionflow=standard for 1080i content on his HD DVD and auto2/standard-high for cable. On his HD DVD, auto1 does smooth the picture out by getting rid of the judder, but I'm not sure that's what I'll end up doing with my 52". I can't decide if I like it or not.

It seems that a lot of people are struggling with these two settings together and the post I pointed you to was something I had ear-marked for myself to use when my set gets in. Did you read the post above by God
? Seems Sony is saying it comes down to a personal preference. I guess just about every setting does.

Otherwise, how's the color on your set?

#355 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtsk /forum/post/11757495

I didn't realize that vumcrab spoke for "most people."

I apologize for getting snarkey. The subject has been discussed extensively on the owners thread as well as this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God_TM /forum/post/11756993

(sort of, but not really anything you don't already know)...

Here's the response I got from Sony... doesn't get into too much technical detail unfortunately:

Many thanks!

#356 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozue25 /forum/post/11755170

Do you think that running this config for BD playback on a PS3 is optimal or should something be tweaked for that?

If I put this same settings in Cinema mode, will it be different than custom? (I am running custom config for games)

I wish I could tell you I would have to see it myself to really tell you. My guess would be that the following should be turned OFF for BD and Games since it's in HD-

Noise reduction:

MPEG noise reduction:

Detail enhancer:

Edge enhancer:

Also I think the PS3 can be changed to output Full Range RGB

My Pioneer DVD player has this as well and I have it set to Full

So I set the RGB Dynamic Range on the XBR to Full and it looks awesome. I would give it try and see if it improves the color of the movies and games.

If you put those settings in Cinema mode some of the settings will be grayed out and you won't be able to select them.

#357 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJayRFU /forum/post/11757447

"anyone try cnet's settings yet, how are they"

I love them, personally. Am now finally happy w/ my X3500

Excellent black levels/detail, natural and accuate seeming colours, bright and vivid when called for.

I doubt they're "perfect", but they're a damn sight closer to what I want to see than any other settings I've tried.

Seemed spot on for my 360 using the Halo 3 Limited Edition A/V calibration disc as far as contrast and colour accuracy went. Whilst I also liked R.MnTnA's settings also, the colour section was off compared to the cnet ones w/ this source/test.

CDJay

Yes the color section probably would be a little off for that A/V disc. Not sure about that disc, but I used the AVIA Pro discs when I calibrated mine. Also I would try turning Off Live Color if you don't like the colors and maybe switch Color space to Standard. Again it's really comes down to personal preference at the end of a calibration.

#358 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.MnTnA /forum/post/11758826

I wish I could tell you I would have to see it myself to really tell you. My guess would be that the following should be turned OFF for BD and Games since it's in HD-

Noise reduction:

MPEG noise reduction:

Detail enhancer:

Edge enhancer:

Hi,

What would you recommend for 1080i Over-The-Air channels? Detail enhancer, Edge enhancer settings they should be?

Thanks.

#359 ·
So i dialed in my 46/4 for upscaled dvd playback via the oppo 981. Little did i know, that the wide/standard colorspace option would burn me as bad as it did. Using Avia, cal'd for the usual (contrast, brightness saturation, and hue) played with the advanced settings until I thought i had achieved a reasonable picture. Then started watching movies (I'm a format war holdout). Looked beautiful. REcently started noticing horrible green push in scenes with limited luminance, particularly chapter 18 in ghostrider. Rechecked black and white balance, saturation and hue, and came up with near identical results. Chapter 18 again, looks the same, if not worse (possibly my eyes playing tricks). Reseat the hdmi connection on both ends, ch. 18 still no improvement. Tried different hdmi cable, no change. Check ch 18. in another non upscaling player connected via component, seems to look as I would expect it too (no excessive green push). Disconnect ac source to Oppo, wait and then try again. Still no change. Recheck with Avia, all is well. Scratching my head as the grayscale patterns on avia don't exhibit this green push. I probably should have tried a different Hdmi input on the set at this point, but I know things didn't look like this initially 4+ weeks ago. Avia being no help at this point, I took the scene where the Ghostrider is on top of the bridge strut and paused it, and systematically went through the settings for what seemed to be the 10th time, but this time with content as opposed to test patterns. Got to colorspace (which I must have changed to wide at some point, but don't really recall). Switched back to standard and the green push disappeared.

So my point is, although you can calibrate using a test disc with the display's colorspace set wherever you want, the push I speak of won't show up in test patterns (as they are mostly static), only playback of encoded media content. I came within a breath of sanity, to learn this. Hope it helps someone else.

Schlick

#360 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEEVIPER /forum/post/11758937

Hi,

What would you recommend for 1080i Over-The-Air channels? Detail enhancer, Edge enhancer settings they should be?

Thanks.

Well since my cable is going directly into my TV which also picks up HD and SD, I just leave it on Low. I don't think you can see much difference in HD, at least I can't.

#361 ·
Alright I did a little more calibrating today. This time I took a little advice about calibrating on this thread- Basic Guide to Color Calibration using a CMS

and followed the Tint suggestions on setting Cyan as close as possible and then calibrated Gray Scale, etc. So this is what I came up with for all my connections with my Colorfacts Pro setup and AVIA Pro DVD's-(my changes are in bold)

Picture Menu

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 5

Picture: 80

Brightness: (depending on connection 45 for DVD via HDMI, 35-45 for Xbox360 via Component & 52 for SD & HD cable)

Color: 56-58

Hue: R1

Color temp: Warm 1

Sharpness: 60-65

Noise reduction: Low

MPEG noise reduction: Low

DRC mode: Off

Advanced Settings

Black corrector: Off

Advanced C.E: Low

Gamma: Low

Clear white: Low

Color space: Wide

Live color: Off

Detail enhancer: Low

Edge enhancer: Low

White Balance Menu

R-Gain: -2

G-Gain: -1

B-Gain: -5 or -4

R-Bias: -1

G-Bias: -2

B-Bias: -5 or -4

Screen menu

Wide Mode: Normal

Auto Wide: OFF

4:3 Default: Normal (grayed out when Auto Wide is set to Off)

Display Area:(Normal for SD cable, Full Pixel for other HD inputs)

Video Options menu

Motion Enhancer: Standard or High

CineMotion: Auto 1

Game/Text mode: Off

Video/Photo Optimizer: Video

Video Color Space: x.v.Color

Photo Color Space: sYCC

Color Matrix: Default

RGB Dynamic Range: Auto or Full (my DVD Player has FULL RGB Output as do PS3's)

General Menu

Power saving: Low

Light sensor: Off

Oh and SD still sucks no matter what I try

Updated 9/30/07

#363 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.MnTnA /forum/post/11759605

Alright I did a little more calibrating today. This time I took a little advice about calibrating on this thread- Basic Guide to Color Calibration using a CMS

and followed the Tint suggestions on setting Cyan as close as possible and then calibrated Gray Scale, etc. So this is what I came up with for all my connections with my Colorfacts Pro setup and AVIA Pro DVD's-(my changes are in bold)

Picture Menu

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 5

Picture: 79

Brightness: 45-52 (depending on connection 45 for DVD & 52 for SD cable)

Color: 54-58

Hue: R2

Color temp: Warm 1

Sharpness: 65-70

Noise reduction: Low

MPEG noise reduction: Low

DRC mode: Off

Advanced Settings

Black corrector: Off

Advanced C.E: Low

Gamma: Low

Clear white: Low

Color space: Wide

Live color: Off

Detail enhancer: Low

Edge enhancer: Low

White Balance Menu
R-Gain: -1

G-Gain: 0

B-Gain: -5

R-Bias: -1

G-Bias: -2

B-Bias: -5

Screen menu

Wide Mode: Full

Auto Wide: On

4:3 Default: Zoom

Display Area: -2

Video Options menu

Motion Enhancer: Standard or High

CineMotion: Auto 1

Game/Text mode: Off

Video/Photo Optimizer: Video

Video Color Space: x.v.Color

Photo Color Space: sYCC

Color Matrix: Default

RGB Dynamic Range: Auto or Full (my DVD Player has FULL RGB Output)

General Menu

Power saving: Low

Light sensor: Off

Oh and SD still sucks no matter what I try

Why opt to put the color temp on Warm 1 and then dial back the blue settings? If anything I find the Warm settings to be lacking in blue tones.

#364 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE /forum/post/11752528

All I know is if you want to see something weird put on an HD movie (can even be from the Cable STB), set Cinemotion to Auto 1 and Motion Enhancer to High.

Yeah it makes 24fps film content look like it was shot in HD video. I find the effect pleasing to the eye, but it doesn't necessarily look natural. I'll bet cinematographers are really going to hate this feature/effect!

A_C

#366 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 /forum/post/11760682

why dont you have the ty on full pixel

Thanks for catching that. I do have it set to Full Pixel on my DVD and HD sources. I use the Normal for the standard type screen when watching SD channels. I don't really like to stretch it out with Wide Zoom or Zoom cause it looks crappier to me.

#367 ·
can anyone post calibrated settings for the smaller xbr4 -?

32 inch - i just got mines - and its very nice - but i am not great with all those settings - if anyone Calibrated this size - and like to post the settings - that would be great

there isnt much talk about this model - this size really -

also if anyone can tell me which movie - DVD to watch where i can actually see the motionflow working -

i been watching DVD's for 2 days and dont see any difference or notice anything -

thanks

#368 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 /forum/post/11768010

32 inch - i just got mines - and its very nice - but i am not great with all those settings - if anyone Calibrated this size - and like to post the settings - that would be great

also if anyone can tell me which movie - DVD to watch where i can actually see the motionflow working -

i been watching DVD's for 2 days and dont see any difference or notice anything -

thanks

Like the saying goes "Size Doesn't Matter"
How many saw that coming?

Have you tried any of the settings posted for the other sizes to see. I went from a 40" to a 46"and calibrated them both and the settings were pretty much the same. Also to see motionflow in action and really see the effect you have to have the cinemotion on Auto1 and motion enhancer on High. Try it with the Matrix Lobby scene or LOTR. Also Don't put theater mode or Game mode on, these disable motion enhancer.

#369 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 /forum/post/11768010

thanks

I'm too lazy to look again
but I think there is a thread for 32XBR4 owners.

#370 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo3660 /forum/post/11769838

I'm too lazy to look again
but I think there is a thread for 32XBR4 owners.

yes i posted on the 32 inch trend - but it seems as if no one else posts there too much -- there isnt much attention giving to the 32 inch xbr4 - in terms of feed back and picture settings etc. -- thats why i decided to ask for help here - i am sure alot of people got the 32 inch - i hear there is AVIA II coming out soon - i will wait for that and give it a shot - but in the meantime - if anyone can offer some settings to try - that would be great --

which matrix movie is the one where i can notice the motionflow in action ? i really like to see the difference

i got this size for my bedroom as a test of these new features - if i dont see much difference - when i do shop for the 46 inch model - i may just look at one step below

which is the W model - i like the xbr4 frame - but i also like the slim frame also and saves 6 inches and makes the panel seem larger and save space at the same time - but for now - i just got the 32 inch xbr4 and like to see motion flow in action - also the blacks are pretty good with power savings on - and black correction - and ACE makes it nice and black for movies at night - its very acceptable - i got no clouds or dead/stuck pixels that i can see - its a Aug. 2007 build - mexico - -

any help with settings would be great - and any other dvd movies that i can watch which will show me motionflow in action - please post them --

thanks -

#371 ·
Has anyone played with the x.v.Color setting on HD channels (40XBR4)? Also, one of my HD channels has a white line at the top of the picture when the screen is set to Full Pixel; it's fine at -1, -2 and normal. Has anyone else noticed this effect when changing the display area?

Thanks

#372 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCPCC /forum/post/11771140

Has anyone played with the x.v.Color setting on HD channels (40XBR4)? Also, one of my HD channels has a white line at the top of the picture when the screen is set to Full Pixel; it's fine at -1, -2 and normal. Has anyone else noticed this effect when changing the display area?

Thanks

Yes, my wife and I were just talking about that (white line). The same thing happen on my Sharp D92U. This is normal and has been talked about before.

#373 ·

Quote:

Thanks

hi - yes i noticed that - but i have the 32 inch xbr4 - i dont have HD signal yet - but on SD - i noticed the white line on my left side going up and down the panel - which i put on -1 and its fine - i can keep it on normal on HDMI input watching DVD's and dont see that line --

i dont know if the smaller 32 inch has all the same options as your size and larger - but i though having it on Normal is the full pixel -- i dont see setting that says - full pixel - ?

#374 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 /forum/post/11771178

hi - yes i noticed that - but i have the 32 inch xbr4 - i dont have HD signal yet - but on SD - i noticed the white line on my left side going up and down the panel - which i put on -1 and its fine - i can keep it on normal on HDMI input watching DVD's and dont see that line --

i dont know if the smaller 32 inch has all the same options as your size and larger - but i though having it on Normal is the full pixel -- i dont see setting that says - full pixel - ?

Try this: Press "Home" on the remote and go over to the "Settings"...then scroll down to "Screen." From there you can change the Display Area to Normal, Full Pixel, -2 or -1.

#375 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCPCC /forum/post/11771278

Try this: Press "Home" on the remote and go over to the "Settings"...then scroll down to "Screen." From there you can change the Display Area to Normal, Full Pixel, -2 or -1.

thanks - i went there - thats where i changed it from normal to -1 when watching SD cable - but i dont have a option for Full Pixel there ?

i though Normal was or is Full Pixel - maybe it is for the 32 inch xbr4 ? i dont know - i have it on standard setting

could it be that normal is full pixel on my TV - ?

#376 ·

Quote:

Thanks

my set also has the x.v Color - but i am still not sure what that does or how it gets activated -- i dont think there are options to activate that - i think you have to have a source putting out HDMI v. 1.3 - and it would just work - i am not sure though excatly - if i am wrong - correct me -- but i been looking thru all my settings and i dont see anything about x.v Color -- just the wide color settings -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.