AVS Forum banner

Did your Panasonic DMP-BD30 stop playing Blu-Rays?

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Majestyk 
#1 ·
Seems to be enough people having this issue that it might be interesting to track.

1. When did you buy the player?

2. Where did you buy the player?

3. Serial number?

4. About how many hours of playback time did it take to fail?

5. What was the resolution by Panasonic?

6. How long did the resolution take?

Maybe we can narrow down to a specific group of players.

#2 ·
I'm glad you posted this because when I tried to post the same topic last week I got reprimanded and the thread was shut down. I contend it is a legitimate issue to discuss here though I left my post unattached to any particluar BD player since I'm curious if other brands are having a similar disk transport issue. Hope your post stays active.

To answer your question, I own 3 BD players (Panny 30, Sammy 1200 and Sony 300) and all three play all disks so far. However, I'm alarmed by the continued reports of failures of the BD30 transport to play BD's and I think it signals a flaw in that transport.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan /forum/post/13757480

I'm glad you posted this because when I tried to post the same topic last week I got reprimanded and the thread was shut down. I contend it is a legitimate issue to discuss here though I left my post unattached to any particluar BD player since I'm curious if other brands are having a similar disk transport issue. Hope your post stays active.

To answer your question, I own 3 BD players (Panny 30, Sammy 1200 and Sony 300) and all three play all disks so far. However, I'm alarmed by the continued reports of failures of the BD30 transport to play BD's and I think it signals a flaw in that transport.

Thats odd...I wonder what rule we're violating? It just seems like a good tracking resource. Guess we'll see what happens...

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjvh /forum/post/13755142

Seems to be enough people having this issue that it might be interesting to track.

1. When did you buy the player?

2. Where did you buy the player?

3. Serial number?

4. About how many hours of playback time did it take to fail?

5. What was the resolution by Panasonic?

6. How long did the resolution take?

Maybe we can narrow down to a specific group of players.

This happened to me last night. I posted this under the BD30 thread. It would still play standard dvd's but would suddenly not play blu ray's. Message came up either "operation not allowed" or "check disk".

I bought mine at CC last November, don't know how many hours I had. Probably fewer then most. I fact last night was first time in about 2 weeks I popped in disk. Tried several different blu rays and same problem. The drive kept on searching. The good news is that back in Feb CC sent me an option to buy the Advantage Protection plan for 3 years. I did that and today I took it in and they exchanged for new one. If I didn't have that plan I would have probably had to send it back to a Panasonic service center.

I should note that I had upgraded to 1.6 back when it was first available, so there must be some issue going on here.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAUDIONUT /forum/post/13783791

I now have a problem with my Panasonic DMP-BD30 . Stopped playing Blu-rays! Purchased at CC 11/20/07

That is just about exactly the time that I got mine from CC. Does your still play standard dvd's but not the Blu-rays? I took mine back to CC and got a new one this week. There must certainly be an issue going on here with the drives. I just hope the new one I got doesn't go out after a few months.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick47 /forum/post/13784014

That is just about exactly the time that I got mine from CC. Does your still play standard dvd's but not the Blu-rays? I took mine back to CC and got a new one this week. There must certainly be an issue going on here with the drives. I just hope the new one I got doesn't go out after a few months.

YES, still plays regular dvds. CC replaced it even though its been 5 months?

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAUDIONUT /forum/post/13784244

YES, still plays regular dvds. CC replaced it even though its been 5 months?

I had received in the mail an offer back in Feb from CC for the Advantage Protection plan for this player. I purchased a three year warranty for $69. I decided to do it and I am glad. In fact, if it fails again in the next couple of years I can get a new player even a different brand. As long as the cost is greater.

#13 ·
Called Panasonic 800-221-7262

Gave all the info (name address, etc...).

The tech asked if I had the latest firmware.

Told him, yes and I know of others who are having the same problem. They were told to ship it back.

After I told him that, he changed from "you need to be in front of the unit to do troubleshooting. to well, based on that information I'd suggest right now that you return it for service"

VERY happy with their support, but unhappy that there was an issue in the first place.

#15 ·
I had one that quit playing CERTAIN blu-ray discs. Specifically, it wouldn't play the Simpsons but played others like Ratatouille perfectly. At first I thought it was the Simpsons BD but after exchanging I ended up exchanging my player and my new BD30 played everythign just fine.

By the way... I strongly recommend getting an EXTENDED WARRANTY for your blu-ray player. I'm not usually an "extended warranty" kind of guy but I think it's a really good idea right now for a BD player.

#16 ·
There have been a small number of drive failures from early BD30's. Panasonic has been very good about repairing them and sending them back by two day shipping. I had my unit fail and I could be more happy with the service I received. As others have said the PS3 has also had a few drive failures.

#17 ·
I'm having exactly the same issue with my Panasonic DMP-BD10. It quit reading Blu-ray discs the first time about 3 months after I got it. July 17 will be one year since I purchased it and I've just discovered that it has quit reading BD's again! It still reads and plays DVD's just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.