AVS Forum banner

Official LNxxA750 Calibration/Settings Thread

376K views 1K replies 302 participants last post by  Stevekw3134 
#1 ·
#302 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezuz183 /forum/post/14195621

Thanks shark. I thought it was more complicated than that. Lol.

I see now. If my device has a black level option, than I can choose whichever looks better.

Thanks again.

Close, but not quite. HDMI Black Level is not a subjective setting that you can set to your liking, it has to be correct for the output of your source device. If it is set wrong, you will crush your blacks, or you will wash the picture out and lose image information. Typically, for DVD/HD DVD/BD players and set top boxes you would want it set to Low, and for computer connections you would want it at Normal. However, some source devices also have a setting to adjust the HDMI black range, and in those instances you need to make sure that both the source and the display are set appropriately.

#303 ·
Alright, I think I'm finally done. I've tried for quite a while, but it's not going to get any better than what I've done now from my experience.

The grayscale was already as good as it can get, so that was pretty much unchanged. The same goes for the contrast ratio.

I was able to get better color accuracy in the end. Previously I had good dE values for the colors, but the x/y values were further off than what I wanted. I found that by raising the general color setting even more and then compensating by lowering the intensity of each color in the color space menu, I was able to get better accuracy in the x/y values. Which in turn gave me even better dE values. Green though is still a color that's simply under saturated, there's nothing you can do about it. None the less, it's still pretty close to being where it needs to be. And if you look at the file, you can see that every other color if pretty much perfect.

I'm very happy with everything now. So I think this was my last calibration for a while. Special thanks to ra004e for letting me borrow his eye-one sensor so I can do the calibrations and post the results, it's very much appreciated.

For those who want the white balance settings for the user menu. They really haven't changed much at all from my previous Warm-1 settings. So you'll be fine using the previous White Balance settings I posted combined with the rest of these settings I have now. I'll post them together below so you won't have to keep searching for them.

The ColorHFCR file is attached

Here they are:

FW:1007

Movie Mode: Warm-1

Contrast Ratio: 3,110:1

White Balance

If adjusting through User Menu

Offset

R: 28

G: 25

B: 21

Gain

R: 25

B: 29

If adjusting through Service Menu - "WB Movie" Settings

R_Gain = 52

B_Gain = -89

R_Offset = 0

B_Offset = 8

Gamma = M2

(SM-WB Movie/User Menu) Picture Settings

Backlight = 3

Contrast = 100

Brightness = 43

Color = 50

Sharpness = 10

Tint = 50/50

Gamma = 0 , If you already adjusted Gamma through the Service Menu (Expert Settings)

Gamma = -1, If adjusting Gamma through User Menu only

Color Space

Red

R = 30

G = 0

B = 1

Green

R = 26

G = 46

B = 0

Blue

R = 9

G = 0

B = 41

Cyan

R = 30

G = 47

B = 56

Magenta

R = 38

G = 0

B = 58

Yellow

R = 60

G = 48

B = 0

i1-Final.zip 5.265625k . file

#305 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev99 /forum/post/14193965

I used zerog's calibration settings and some others posted on here. The thing I find is the blacks are too deep and don't have enough detail. Should I set the HDMI black level back to normal or keep it on low? Also if anyone needs a fix on the halo issue I have a great answer that doesn't involve tape, just message me if interested.

it depends what you ahve plugged in.

if you send it 0=black, 255=white you need to set HDMI Level to Normal

if you send it 16=black, 235=white then you need to set it to Low

most PC-based stuff needs Normal even for movies and TV (although certain OS and certain revision of gfx card drivers do require certain formats of movie and TV to be set to Low, it depends, these days mostly only VMC HDTV or SD DVD needs Low, if even)

most other stuff needs Low (but you can set the PS3, I believe, in ways that mean you need Normal), but there are some exceptions.

for a given source setup a given way you always leave it at either Normal and Low and never play around with that.

if you use Low when you need Normal you get black crush and blown out highlight details, more saturation, more contrast.

if you use Normnal when you need Low you get washed out blacks and faded highlights, less saturation, less contrast.

you can use a test pattern to figure it out if you are not used to it enough to just notice it by eye.

#306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad /forum/post/14194675

Gotta love that dynamic Contrast, lol. I know it isn't "technically" right, but I can't live without it.

try it for a week without it.

you might change your mind.

i did.

so much more natural (well very, very dark scenes in some ways are more natural with DC on, but overall it's not worth it IMO and gamma +1 to get to 2.2 helps make up for its loss) and i noticed the bunkers at Augusta would get clipped with DC on too.

#307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 /forum/post/14195744

I can reset everything, but I really want to avoid having to do so. I did a reset a while ago, and something in the SM got reset that wasn't supposed to. So I don't want to do it just in case something else goes wrong that would be trouble. If anyone wants to just go in there and check what the default values are, I can simply change them. But like you mentioned, it'd have to be someone with a 1007 FW.

Yeah I know I measured that the 10% Y was a bit low also. But I actually left it like that on purpose. The amount of shadow detail I'm losing by that .1 of a difference in gamma, is pretty much un-noticeable. I can still perfectly see the black bar test. So If I matched the 10% Y to what it's supposed to be, my contrast ratio went down to about 2100. And my black depth went from .065 to .075. So I got a good bit better black depth and contrast ratio, for a tiny loss in shadow detail at the lower IRE's. Which for my taste, I'm more than happy to sacrifice.

My Grayscale settings are on the descriptions. It's the first set of numbers that say "Service Menu - "WB Movie" Settings"

if you watch in a very dark room i've even heard some say that slightly more than gamma 2.2 is arguably even a tad more how it should be at the lower shades so you might not really even be technically off.

#308 ·
Samsung LN52A750 LCD flat panel (June 2008 review link).

The Samsung 750 series according to the latest review refreshes 1080P/24 correctly using true 5:5 pulldown for those interested in a judder free natural film quality. When AMP is turned off each 24fps is repeated 5 times without interpolation of new frames to offer true 5:5 pulldown. Also when AMP is turned on some 60HZ video material in the picture can sometimes be improved since the motion artifacts issue that appeared on prior Samsungs appears to be corrected in the 750 series. I actually had a chance to watch the Samsung for a brief period of time and for a LCD display the black level and over all picture quality was excellent. Of course it is not as good as a Pioneer kuro Plasma which has deeper blacks. According to the lastest review the Samsung LN52A750 has a better black level and picture quality compared to the Sony XBR4 series. The Samsung is also $800 cheaper compared to the Sony LCD display. So right now in the LCD world Samsung has the best picture quality for a consumer LCD flat panel. It is amazing that Samsung has now become a high-end brand that is also priced below the competition.

A few quotes from the review link

"As with virtually all upscale LCDs these days, the LN52A750 doubles the refresh rate from 60 to 120Hz. To combat motion blur, a feature called Auto Motion Plus (AMP) inserts interpolated frames between the actual frames in the input signal. This feature can be turned off, in which case each frame in a 60Hz signal is displayed twice and frames in a 24Hz signal are each repeated five times. I noticed a few glaring artifacts when AMP was engaged in a previous-generation Samsung LCD TV, but this year's models have improved it substantially, as we'll see.

"Samsung has come a long way since the days when it was considered a second-tier bargain-basement brand. Thanks to steadily improving quality, the Korean megacorp is now one of the world's pre-eminent consumer-electronics manufacturers. I've reviewed several Samsung TVs over the years, and each one has been better than the one before.

"The best test of 120Hz frame interpolation is the FPD Benchmark Blu-ray test disc. With AMP on, the horizontal resolution in the horizontally scrolling monoscope improved, but the vertical resolution was actually degraded. The horizontally scrolling characters were sharpened, especially in the low-contrast tests. All real-world clips (hammock, swing, etc.) looked much sharper with AMP on, and I saw no evidence of the artifacts I observed under the same conditions with the previous-generation LN-T4671F .

The only other nit to pick is the relatively high reflectivity of the screenin fact, it looked more like a plasma than an LCD in that regard. I could see a sharp reflection of myself when the screen was dark. This could be a problem in rooms with light sources opposite the TV. Samsung claims this actually lowers the black level by not diffusing the reflection of light sources in the room.

The Samsung 750 series has a better black level and picture quality compared to the Sony XBR4 series and does it for $800 less.

The most obvious comparison to make is with the Sony KDL-52XBR4 . As much as I like that TV, I prefer the Samsung with its better blacks, sharper standard-def detail, better 120Hz frame interpolation, one more HDMI input, and better menu system. And the Samsung is $800 less than the Sony to boot, making it a better value. Both have very wide bezels, so you need to take that into account either way.

"Samsung has come a long way from the days of being a cheapie brand, and the LN52A750 proves it in spades. Gorgeous colors, exquisite detail, great blacks, excellent shadow detail, exceptional processing, tons of useful features, and a reasonable pricewhat's not to love?

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...n52/index.html

#310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 /forum/post/14199748

Alright, I think I'm finally done. I've tried for quite a while, but it's not going to get any better than what I've done now from my experience.

The grayscale was already as good as it can get, so that was pretty much unchanged. The same goes for the contrast ratio.

I was able to get better color accuracy in the end. Previously I had good dE values for the colors, but the x/y values were further off than what I wanted. I found that by raising the general color setting even more and then compensating by lowering the intensity of each color in the color space menu, I was able to get better accuracy in the x/y values. Which in turn gave me even better dE values. Green though is still a color that's simply under saturated, there's nothing you can do about it. None the less, it's still pretty close to being where it needs to be. And if you look at the file, you can see that every other color if pretty much perfect.

I'm very happy with everything now. So I think this was my last calibration for a while. Special thanks to ra004e for letting me borrow his eye-one sensor so I can do the calibrations and post the results, it's very much appreciated.

For those who want the white balance settings for the user menu. They really haven't changed much at all from my previous Warm-1 settings. So you'll be fine using the previous White Balance settings I posted combined with the rest of these settings I have now. I'll post them together below so you won't have to keep searching for them.

Here they are:

White Balance

Offset

Gain

R_Gain = 52

B_Gain = -89

R_Offset = 0

B_Offset = 8

Gamma = M2

Backlight = 3

Contrast = 91

Brightness = 42

Color = 50

Sharpness = 10

Tint = 50/50

Gamma = 0 , If adjusting through Service Menu (Expert Settings)

Gamma = -1, If adjusting through User Menu

Color Space

Red

R = 32

G = 0

B = 0

Green

R = 30

G = 50

B = 0

Blue

R = 9

G = 0

B = 44

Cyan

R = 31

G = 49

B = 56

Magenta

R = 37

G = 0

B = 57

Yellow

R = 50

G = 54

B = 0

Zerog6,

Thanks dude! You 'da man!

#311 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 /forum/post/14200336

try it for a week without it.

you might change your mind.

i did.

so much more natural (well very, very dark scenes in some ways are more natural with DC on, but overall it's not worth it IMO and gamma +1 to get to 2.2 helps make up for its loss) and i noticed the bunkers at Augusta would get clipped with DC on too.

Isn't there a way to calibrate around it?

What I use, is Dynamic Contrast = Low & set the Contrast to 66 & the Color to 39 to compensate. I also sometimes lower the backlight 1 or two clicks as well.

I just don't know what the gamma is supposed to be at with those settings.

I should mention that I notice Dynamic Contrast on will lower the backlight lower than what is possible at zero with it normally off.

Have a black blank screen or one that is mostly black at backlight 6 with the Dynamic Contrast off & then turn it on & the blank screens black goes shades darker by a huge margin without lowering the backlight.

BTW zerog6, did you post the Main WB settings in the service menu, the one with the sub brightness & the sub contrast?

I noticed when I did a Factory reset, they changed as well as being different with each & every firmware.

If your are different, your settings for other people wouldn't be 100% accurate.

Also in the OptionByte menu, is the gamma at Off or at 0.95?

They override all settings including the one in WB Movie.

#312 ·
Can someone willing to check update to the new 1008 firmware and see if they, once again, made changes to the white balance settings in the service menu?

#313 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezuz183 /forum/post/14195257

How's it going studdad?

Im interested in trying out your settings with dynamic contrast. Mind sharing them

?

Thanks.

Right now they are pretty basic. I just set them to what looked pleasing to the eye, and am going to make changes once AVIA comes out with their Blue Ray Calibration Disk (hurry up guys). Anyway, here they are:

Mode: Standard

Backlight: 5 (3 in a dark room)

Contrast: 87

Brightness: 41

Sharpness: 15

Color: 45

Tint: G50/R50

Black adjust: Low (tried Med, and liked it too)

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Gamma: 0

Color Space: Auto

Flesh Tone: +2

Edge Enhancement: Off

xvYCC: Off

White Balance:

Offset

R: 27

B: 24

Gain

B: 25

Color Tone: Normal

#314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev99 /forum/post/14195371

Yes I also would like to know some good settings for dynamic. Also, Is there any good reason to put the backlight over 5? Just wondering. Thanks!

Dynamic Contrast, not Dynamic Mode. I like the Dynamic Mode on this tv as it uses the DNIe engine and really clarifies things, but I could not warm up the picture enough.....maybe when I get that calibration disk.

#315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 /forum/post/14200736

Here are some calibration settings one may want to try on the 750 series Samsungs.
http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...52/index7.html

I see they were able to get a contrast ratio of 2889 in those calbrations. I'm going to have to try to get one more reading to see how they did that because it's getting to me, lol. At this point I'm assuming it's just because of lower backlight that they get higher contrast ratios so i'm gonna see

#316 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer /forum/post/14201253

BTW zerog6, did you post the Main WB settings in the service menu, the one with the sub brightness & the sub contrast?

I noticed when I did a Factory reset, they changed as well as being different with each & every firmware.

If your are different, your settings for other people wouldn't be 100% accurate.

Yeah, all of the main WB settings in the service menu are set at 512 by default. And the contrast and brightness are at 128.

The gamma is also by default at .95

#318 ·
I finally got it, lol, I finally got the contrast ratio up to where you see them from other calibrators.

It was 2 things:

1. Really so simple that I overlooked it. What setting gives better contrast ratios? The Contrast Setting!!! lol. Yes that was the big thing. These sets can be taken up to a Contrast of 100 without any clipping. So that was it, I turned up the Contrast from 91 to 100, and bam, instant amazing contrast ratio. The best thing, everything else remaing contstantly the same, so there were no compromises to it.

2. I found that a small problem was that I was pressing the sensor up against the screen a bit too hard, which due to the pressure, the pixels in that area got brighter, so it was making my O IRE reading higher than what it should've been. So after changing the position of the sensor and not putting much pressure on it, I got it correct.

The only thing afterwards is that I had to slightly adjust the color space settings again because now the luminance of the colors was a bit higher of course.

It still wasn't as high as some reviews i've seen where it's up to 3,600:1 or so, to that I really have no clue how. At that point, turning up the contrast even further in the service menu doesn't work because then it gets noticeably blue at the higher IRE. I'm guessing, as what was the case before, is that since they're using better equipment, perhaps the eye-one, as good as it is, can't quite get as good a reading at 0 IRE. But either way, I'm stoked that I finally got it up there.

Oh and I also turned up the Brightness from 42-43. After everything, I found that it really does not give any more black depth to the picture on 42 as I thought before, and on 43 it gives you slightly better shadow detail, so 43 is better.

I updated my previous post with the new info, new settings, and new HCFR file. Take a look and let me know what you think

#319 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 /forum/post/14203111

White Balance

Offset

Gain

R_Gain = 52

B_Gain = -89

R_Offset = 0

B_Offset = 8

Gamma = M2

Backlight = 3

Contrast = 100

Brightness = 43

Color = 50

Sharpness = 10

Tint = 50/50

Gamma = 0 , If you already adjusted Gamma through the Service Menu (Expert Settings)

Color Space

Red

R = 30

G = 0

B = 1

Green

R = 26

G = 46

B = 0

Blue

R = 9

G = 0

B = 41

Cyan

R = 30

G = 47

B = 56

Magenta

R = 38

G = 0

B = 58

Yellow

R = 60

G = 48

B = 0

Hey zero,

Do we leave these settings the same from your original Warm-1 settings?

Black adjust: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: -3

Flesh Tone: 0

Edge Enhancement: On

#320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dza /forum/post/14203468

Hey zero,

Do we leave these settings the same from your original Warm-1 settings?

Black adjust: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: -3

Flesh Tone: 0

Edge Enhancement: On

No, both the gamma and color space settings I updated to what's posted above. Everything else though yes you leave the same

#322 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 /forum/post/14199748

Here they are:

White Balance

Offset

Gain

R_Gain = 52

B_Gain = -89

R_Offset = 0

B_Offset = 8

Gamma = M2

Backlight = 3

Contrast = 100

Brightness = 43

Color = 50

Sharpness = 10

Tint = 50/50

Color Space

Red

R = 30

G = 0

B = 1

Green

R = 26

G = 46

B = 0

Blue

R = 9

G = 0

B = 41

Cyan

R = 30

G = 47

B = 56

Magenta

R = 38

G = 0

B = 58

Yellow

R = 60

G = 48

B = 0

damn that CR is sick!!

I think I really need to insist they don't try to mess with my 5271 and just ship me the 650/750!

WB looks pretty good, although a bit off at 10% and a few other spots.

CIE looks really good

you should take the saturation measurements for all channels too though, I would bet your setting of Color 50 is way too high.

If it is anything like the 71 series it likely should be down at 40 or so.

would also be interesting to see the dark curve and light curve measurements to look into the 3000:1 ratio better.

#323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer /forum/post/14201253

Isn't there a way to calibrate around it?

What I use, is Dynamic Contrast = Low & set the Contrast to 66 & the Color to 39 to compensate. I also sometimes lower the backlight 1 or two clicks as well.

I just don't know what the gamma is supposed to be at with those settings.

I should mention that I notice Dynamic Contrast on will lower the backlight lower than what is possible at zero with it normally off.

Have a black blank screen or one that is mostly black at backlight 6 with the Dynamic Contrast off & then turn it on & the blank screens black goes shades darker by a huge margin without lowering the backlight.

yeah turnign contrast down might help that, I still sticking with it off though, especially if I get the 650/750 then at 3000:1 i really don;t se the point in messing with DC anymore.

#324 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dza /forum/post/14207411

Do I have to upgrade my firmware to use your most recent calibrations? I'll be using the user menu version

I don't recommend you update unless it's to fix the specific problems that update is meant for. I'd say leave your current FW, and adjust the settings to fit how you like it, which you would probably have to do regardless.

#325 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 /forum/post/14207763

damn that CR is sick!!

I think I really need to insist they don't try to mess with my 5271 and just ship me the 650/750!

WB looks pretty good, although a bit off at 10% and a few other spots.

CIE looks really good

you should take the saturation measurements for all channels too though, I would bet your setting of Color 50 is way too high.

If it is anything like the 71 series it likely should be down at 40 or so.

would also be interesting to see the dark curve and light curve measurements to look into the 3000:1 ratio better.

White Balance at 10% or below are not supposed to be accurate because they're so close to black. So no worries there

Unfortunately I can't do complete saturation or near black/near white luminance measurements because I don't have the test patterns for it. The DVE and AVS discs I'm using only have 5% increments and 75% and 100% color patterns.

#326 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 /forum/post/14208035

I don't recommend you update unless it's to fix the specific problems that update is meant for. a

The auto backlight (Energy Savings Auto) hasn't worked properly on the 750, and one person has reported that it is working properly now on the new 1008 firmware. So, anyone interested in this feature working properly has an interest in upgrading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.