AVS Forum banner

Onkyo TX-NR906 and TX-SR876 Anticipation Thread

100K views 422 replies 67 participants last post by  Knucklehead90 
#1 ·
Updated TX-SR876 Specs, official US http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14424448

Updated TX-SR906 Specs, official US http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14424494

Onkyo is getting close to announcing its new top of the line AVRs for 2008... the TX-SR876 and TX-NR906. street price is $1,599 and $1,999, respectively, same as the SRP for their predecessors were discontinued.

Based upon a Japanese press release, Onkyo has put Audyssey Dynamic EQ AND Dynamic Volume into the upcoming 876 and 906, on top of their THX Ultra 2 Plus certification. The US models will retain both XM Satellite and Sirius Satellite readiness. The 906 retains its built-in HD Radio tuner and they have added the HD Radio to the SR876.

So far, we're looking at the addition of THX Ultra 2 "Plus", Audyssey MULTEQ XT, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, Image Science Foundation "ISF Mode" for brightness, contrast and other image adjustments for each input source.

The HQV Reon-VX remains in place along with the same overall electronic design makeup of their predecessors. With the ISF Mode, lets hope Onkyo, once and for all, has addressed the color-space issues with current the 875 and 905 Reon processor implementation. Let's also hope that they have built in aspect ratio control for setting of "Full" and "Normal" scaling for maintaining the 4:3 aspect ratio of upscaled standard definition content and fixed the HDMI syncing/signal delay issues that affective quite a few setups.

So far, they look very promising. I am hoping that Onkyo made significant improvements to the GUI and its control capabilities. Hopefully they improved upon the current 905's Ethernet and USB functionality, e.g. Internet Radio interface and audio streaming. More to follow as the info trickles in. Feel free to add anything you've heard. Here's to some great new AVR contenders for the second half of 2008!

Cheers,

Adam

The 876 appears to have the same new feature updates as the 906, with the electronic design makeup on par with the differences between the current 875 and 905. The 876 has gained a second HDMI output (as the 905 currently has) and, unbelievably, it looks like the NR906 lost the Toroidal Transformer! Both the SR876 and NR905 have the same 4 HDMI inputs as their predecessors.

See less See more
#2 ·

Onkyo TX-SR876

Amplification

140 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD

WRAT-Wide Range Amplifier Technology

(5 Hz-100 kHz bandwidth)

VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry)

Parallel Push-Pull Amplifier Design with 3-Step Inverted Darlington Circuitry

H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) High Power Transformer

HDMI Audio and Video Processing

(Deep Color, x.v. Color, Lip Sync, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolusion Audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digtal Plus, SA-CD and Multi-CH PCM)

THX Ultra2 Plus Certified

New THX listening modes for optimized surround sound at any listening level

HQV-Reon-VX Video Processing with 1080p

Video Upscaling of All Video Sources via HDMI

Component Video Upconversion

Burr-Brown (PCM1796) 192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converters

Three-TI (Aureus) 32-Bit DSP Chips

Connections

4 HDMI Inputs

2 HDMI Outputs

Onkyo RIHD for System Control

Component Video Switching (2 Inputs/1 Output)

Powered Zone 2 and Zone 2 and Zone 3 Pre Out

IR Input/Output and 12 V Trigger

RS232 Port for Interface Control

Bi-Amping and BTL Capability

Miscellaneous

40 AM/FM Presets

Audyssey MultEQ to Correct Room Acoustic Problems

Audyssey Dynamic EQ for Loudness Correction

Audyssey Dynamic Volume

Music Optimizer for Compressed Music Files

XM Satellite Ready

Sirius Satellite Ready

HD Radio

Independent Crossover Adjustment (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/200 Hz)

ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) Video Calibration

Newly Designed GUI for System Set-up

Compatible with RI Dock for iPod

Preprogrammed RI-Compatible Remote

with 3 Macros and Mode-Key LEDs

Weight: 50.7 lbs

#3 ·

Onkyo TX-NR906

Amplification

145 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD

WRAT-Wide Range Amplifier Technology

(5 Hz-100 kHz bandwidth)

VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry)

Parallel Push-Pull Amplifier Design with 3-Step Inverted Darlington Circuitry

Toroidal Super Massive High Power Transformer, H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply)

Processing

HDMI Audio and Video Processing

(Deep Color, x.v. Color, Lip Sync, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolusion Audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digtal Plus, SA-CD and Multi-CH PCM)

THX Ultra2 Plus Certified

New THX listening modes for optimized surround sound at any listening level

HQV-Reon-VX Video Processing with 1080p

Video Upscaling of All Video Sources via HDMI

Microsoft PlaysForSure Certified for Windows Vista

Component Video Upconversion

Burr-Brown (PCM1796) 192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converters

Three-TI (Aureus) 32-Bit DSP Chips

Connections

4 HDMI Inputs

2 HDMI Outputs

Onkyo RIHD for System Control

Network Capability for Streaming Audio Files and Internet Radio with vTuner

Component Video Switching (2 Inputs/1 Output)

USB Port for a Mass USB Storage Device (Audio Only)

Powered Zone 2 and Zone 2 and Zone 3 Pre Out

IR Input/Output and 12 V Trigger

RS232 Port for Interface Control

Bi-Amping and BTL Capability

Miscellaneous

40 AM/FM Presets

Audyssey MultEQ to Correct

Room Acoustic Problems

Audyssey Dynamic EQ for Loudness Correction

Audyssey Dynamic Volume

Music Optimizer for Compressed Music Files

XM Satellite Ready

Sirius Satellite Ready

HD Radio

Independent Crossover Adjustment (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/200 Hz)

ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) Video Calibration

Newly Designed GUI for System Set-up

Compatible with RI Dock for iPod

Preprogrammed RI-Compatible Remote

with 3 Macros and Mode-Key LEDs

Weight: 53.5 lbs

#4 ·
If it truly is improved including the gui and ethernet then I would maybe consider upgrading. It really needs to be that much better for me to upgrade, I will wait it this time around and see what the outcome is and how happy others are with the new unit.

#5 ·
Some Onkyo dealers are quoting expected availability of 9/8. So far, all are quoting pre-orders at SRP. The SR876 definitely appears to have gained the HD Radio tuner. Still waiting on confirmation of the number of HDMI outputs for each model and whether the 876 truly gained the Toroidal Transformer... or if it's all just a big mistake.

#6 ·
Aw, criminy! I thought I'd been decided for months to get the Denon 4308 and now it looks like these are going to be coming out about 3 weeks before I'm ready to buy.

Probably too early to call but guessing these will do a better job than the 875/905s in taking on the Denons...

#7 ·
Adam,

Darn shame we lost the entire history of this thread. Couple of new questions. Do you have any information on the possibility of Onkyo improving the method that the hardware can receive firmware upgrades? Also, what was your source that the 876 may get the Toroidal Transformer?

Thanks,

Rich

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior /forum/post/14426291

Adam,

Darn shame we lost the entire history of this thread. Couple of new questions. Do you have any information on the possibility of Onkyo improving the method that the hardware can receive firmware upgrades? Also, what was your source that the 876 may get the Toroidal Transformer?

Thanks,

Rich

Yeah, that did suck. Oh well, here today, gone tomorrow!
I have no information about the method of firmware updates. One would hope that they are more end-user supported than the previous, however there's nothing to indicate that this has changed. These specs came from an authorized Onkyo dealer in the UK.

#9 ·
I just got word in the Denon anticipation thread that my other possible AVR (the replacement to the 3808) will not appear until mid to late 2009. That kills the deal for me. My Marantz has just about had it. Now I can only hope that Onkyo will deliver on the 876. I am having some serious words with the Head Cheeze Upstairs on this one!

Rich

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior /forum/post/14426406

I just got word in the Denon anticipation thread that my other possible AVR (the replacement to the 3808) will not appear until mid to late 2009. That kills the deal for me. My Marantz has just about had it. Now I can only hope that Onkyo will deliver on the 876. I am having some serious words with the Head Cheeze Upstairs on this one!

Rich

That's because the 3808 and the 4308 are "Feature" upgradeable. Denon did announce that they will be offering a paid "Feature update" in October to add the Audyssey Dymamic EQ and Dynamic Volume to the existing 3808 and 4308. They realize they can't leave the lower end models having newer features than their upper end models.

I have a 3808 and am expecting (if I keep it) to be updating it with the new Audyssey features when they are made available in a couple of months. As you know, the 3808 and 4308 update their firmware via the Ethernet connection to the Internet. We're talking a couple of clicks of the remote, through the on-screen GUI interface!

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWL /forum/post/14426466

That's because the 3808 and the 4308 are "Feature" upgradeable. Denon did announce that they will be offering a paid "Feature update" in October to add the Audyssey Dymamic EQ and Dynamic Volume to the existing 3808 and 4308. They realize they can't leave the lower end models having newer features than their upper end models.

I have a 3808 and am expecting (if I keep it) to be updating it with the new Audyssey features when they are made available in a couple of months. As you know, the 3808 and 4308 update their firmware via the Ethernet connection to the Internet. We're talking a couple of clicks of the remote, through the on-screen GUI interface!

True, but here is my issue with these upgrades. While the firmware is available and I can see the ease of the update capability, I have a problem with the original hardware not having been designed for the firmware update, especially the remote. I understand that there are some key buttons on the remote just for the Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume Control. Unless they also offer a new remote with the firmware update, it may be cumbersome to use. I will be anxious to get your thoughts, if you get the firmware update. Denon certaily has it over Onkyo when it comes to customer support.

Rich

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior /forum/post/14426548

True, but here is my issue with these upgrades. While the firmware is available and I can see the ease of the update capability, I have a problem with the original hardware not having been designed for the firmware update, especially the remote. I understand that there are some key buttons on the remote just for the Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume Control. Unless they also offer a new remote with the firmware update, it may be cumbersome to use. I will be anxious to get your thoughts, if you get the firmware update. Denon certaily has it over Onkyo when it comes to customer support.

Rich

Funny you should say. I was just visiting this issue today, with the dealer I bought the 3808 from two weeks ago. First, I told him that I'm a little taken back that I have to pay an upgrade "tax" on the higher end unit I just bought, when I could have gotten these features included on a lower end unit. Heck, Denon is including Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dymamic Volume on their entry level AVR-589 for an SRP of $299! Now I'll in all likelihood have to pay a $100 for the firmware feature upgrade?

I've actually been considering returning the 3808 and replacing it with the 2809 and the ASD-3W WiFi Network Dock for $180+. That would give me all of the network features of the 3808 plus JPEG slideshow streaming from a PC media service along with audio file cover-art. I would however lose 15W/channel, HDCD decoding, the built-in USB front & rear ports and the Ethernet based online firmware updates (that was great about the 3808). But, going this route, I gain the new Audyssey features out of the box along with JPEG images for less than the original price of the 3808.

And then of course there's the Onkyo SR876 and NR906 that we're tracking here. So in the end there's just not enough available information to make a completely informed decision. I have actually had the recent revelation that instead of trying to decide which is the BEST mid/high end AVR to buy today and live with for the next 5+ years in my HT; hold off until the dust settles. Instead, by one of the low end 7.1 Denons (for $300 some-odd) with 3 HDMI inputs and the new Audyssey features which I will ultimately put into my bedroom to replace my 10-year old HK AVR. I'll keep the low-end Denon in my HT until I know without a shadow of doubt which mid/high end manufacturer and model AVR I'll be happiest with (and not have buyers remorse 6-months later)!

Oh, I forgot to say. The Denon 2809 with the new Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume use the exact same remote control as the 3808 and 4308. They use a programmable membrane/touchscreen to dynamically display the buttons that are relevant to each AVR function. So, you would not need a "dedicated" button to use the Dynamic Volume feature, it will show on the touchscreen.

#13 ·
Like I said before, Adam, you and I are in exactly the same boat. We want virtually the same in an AVR. I still have a hard time with the price of the 3808 and what features it gives you, vs. the 876, even if it doesnt have the sweet transformer in it.

At any rate, lets definately keep in touch with what we find out.

By the way, interesting idea about buying a lower level unit as a temporary measure. I am still holding out hope that the 876 will be everything I want and be executed flawlessly. I want to get the AVR out of the way so I can then focus on a new sub and finally a new set of speakers. I like to rattle my walls during movies so I have succeeded in blowing my rear speakers, and I suspect it had something to do with why I lost one of the channels in my Marantz. My Cambrige Soundworks center sucks and to top it all off, my Velodyne is loosing it's accelerometer. I have a long expensive road ahead.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior /forum/post/14426737

Like I said before, Adam, you and I are in exactly the same boat. We want virtually the same in an AVR. I still have a hard time with the price of the 3808 and what features it gives you, vs. the 876, even if it doesnt have the sweet transformer in it.

At any rate, lets definately keep in touch with what we find out.

By the way, interesting idea about buying a lower level unit as a temporary measure. I am still holding out hope that the 876 will be everything I want and be executed flawlessly. I want to get the AVR out of the way so I can then focus on a new sub and finally a new set of speakers. I like to rattle my walls during movies so I have succeeded in blowing my rear speakers, and I suspect it had something to do with why I lost one of the channels in my Marantz. My Cambrige Soundworks center sucks and to top it all off, my Velodyne is loosing it's accelerometer. I have a long expensive road ahead.

I never thought I'd want an AVR with networking capability until I originally got the the NR905. It literally opened a whole new world to music with its Internet Radio. I had dabbled with Internet Radio through iTunes on my Mac and while interesting, the sound and the experience was just a novelty at best. Then being able to stream your entire collection of PC based music files the way they were meant to be heard was the clincher. I really didn't want to go back.

When I replaced the NR905 with the Denon 3808 I was flawed by the interface improvement and overall superior usability Denon provided. The vTuner service for browsing and selecting Internet Radio stations, blew away having to type each individual URL into the NR905! (Btw, the NR906 is adding vTuner service.) So, at this point I wouldn't want to lose that level of integration the "Networking" AVR provides. True, I could get an Airport Express for streaming music or an AppleTV or other dedicated multimedia streaming player (and I likely will at some point), but that doesn't do away with the appeal for an integrated solution.

Yes the NR906, on paper looks great (as did the NR905, but the 906 looks better)!
However, I'm just not sure I can justify $2,000 if you want to be an early adopter (as well as a test subject for Onkyo to work out the likely bugs).
I also very much like the idea of being able to see audio file cover-art on from my PC streaming media, along with a JPEG slideshow. The NR906, simply will not do this. However, the Denon 4308 does, but that's way to much of an upcost for the addition of this feature.

So, the best of both worlds may just be waiting for the SR876 (working through any bugs) and adding the Denon ASD-3W WiFi Network Dock. That would give all of the network features of the 4308 (audio and JPEG slideshow streaming from a PC media service along with audio file cover-art) to the SR876s best of class audio and VP. When all is said and done, it should yield a better Networking feature-set than the NR906 at a lesser price. With the SR876's HD Radio, and, if in fact it has the Toroidal Transformer, it should be an unbeatable combination.

Btw, the Denon Network/iPod dock was designed to work with any manufacturers AVR. It comes with its own remote control and its own built-in GUI to display on your TV to control its functions. If you have a Harmony, you can make an Activity for its functions to avoid using multiple remotes. The SR876 and the Denon dock just might provide the best overall solution.

#16 ·
Well this should provide about perfect timing with the buttoning up of my theater. Having tried the 805, 875, and 905, I'm really interested in how the 876/906 will compare. I just placed an order with my local B&M for the 876. According to them, it sounds like the 1st week in September is the drop date. From the sounds of it, it should be a close match to the old 905. If the rumors of the toroidal transformer are accurate, it should be a very serious contender in the current crop of receivers. I just hope Onkyo learned their lesson concerning the firmware updates, and has a bug free receiver ready to go the first time out.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWL /forum/post/14426886

Anyone looking to get one of these new beasts, don't forget about the $50 rebate available for them (until 9/29), because they have an HD Radio installed! http://www.hdradio.com/rebate/rebate.php

I'm wondering it they will ammend the rebate form to include the 876. I can just see them denying the rebate form as the 876 is not specifically listed.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict /forum/post/14429375

Well this should provide about perfect timing with the buttoning up of my theater. Having tried the 805, 875, and 905, I'm really interested in how the 876/906 will compare. I just placed an order with my local B&M for the 876. According to them, it sounds like the 1st week in September is the drop date. From the sounds of it, it should be a close match to the old 905. If the rumors of the toroidal transformer are accurate, it should be a very serious contender in the current crop of receivers. I just hope Onkyo learned their lesson concerning the firmware updates, and has a bug free receiver ready to go the first time out.

Will Onkyo provide better thermal management support for the TX-NR906 (i.e. eliminate/minimize heat issues)?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/14430147

Will Onkyo provide better thermal management support for the TX-NR906 (i.e. eliminate/minimize heat issues)?

It's all speculation until someone actually gets their hands on one. I personally don't think you'll see a huge reduction in operating temperature. With massive power supplies/heat sinks comes more heat, it's the nature of the beast. Hopefully Onkyo implements it better this time around, to resolve the severe problems some encountered with the previous model. I myself never had a problem with any of the 3 I owned. Keep in mind that mine were in a completely open environment however, with no chance of heat build up. I ran my 905 at reference through a 3 hour movie and it wasn't too hot to hold my hand on it.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict /forum/post/14430477

I myself never had a problem with any of the 3 I owned. Keep in mind that mine were in a completely open environment however, with no chance of heat build up.

Many individuals report heat issues with various A/V devices (e.g. PDPs, PS3). I have no thermal problems with my PRO-150FD or 40 GB PS3 and will place the AVR on a table top next to my PDP.

Using the Google Internet search engine returns little information about the TX-SR876 or TX-NR906 and with the recent data loss @ AVSF, a lot of information is gone from this Forum.

Can you summarize the most important differences between the 876 & 906 models?

I was seriously considering the TX-NR905 but can wait for the 906 if it has more to offer.

#21 ·
I'd wait to see how the Reon is implemented in the 876, and if it indeed has the toroidal transformer before you jump on the 905, or 906 for that matter. I loved my 905 and had absolutely no problems with it, other than the few minor issues (Reon, etc), that would have made it a show stopper. If the 876 performs on par with the 905, and manages to upgrade it's already amazing amp section, along with adding a few other tweaks, I think it will be tough to beat in it's price range.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict /forum/post/14429424

I'm wondering it they will ammend the rebate form to include the 876. I can just see them denying the rebate form as the 876 is not specifically listed.

They really should. If I'm not mistaken they originally included the 876 and 906, but apparently Onkyo didn't want any reference on the listing for models that weren't as yet announced. Makes sense. I'd be pissed it they didn't honor the rebate because they weren't announced at the time the rebate was printed.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz /forum/post/14433564

I am buying the 906 so hard.

I got to admit, the 906 does look sweet. Unfortunately, I don't think I can justify cracking that $2000 nut. I pretty much set my upper limit for an AVR at $1500. So for me, it's either the Denon 3808, I currently have, or the 876. I have to decide on Networking or Reon; USB or THX; built-in Web server control/Internet firmware updates or HD Radio.

Decisions, decisions...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.