AVS Forum banner

"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread

3M views 24K replies 2K participants last post by  Farru21 
#1 ·
It is finally starting to arrive! I have not spent a great deal amount with it but I figured I better start a thread soon before someone kills me!
I have my 805 hooked up like this. HDMI 1 is HD DVD(sending in 1080p/60, HDMI 2 is Blu ray(sending in 1080p/24 or 60), HDMI 3 is DTHEATER JVC HMDT100(1080i) or my XBOX 360 ELITE(sending in 1080p)... I use 2 two of the components for DirecTV HD DVRs. My main DirecTV HD DVR (HR20-100 BLACK) goes straight to my VP. So far after doing a bunch of tests between the inputs I can say I am very impressed with the sound Quality. I will most likely have a Pioneer 94 player here on Friday so I will be able to do more comparisons with a blu ray player that can do advanced audio codecs. The Dolby TrueHD sounds remarkable. even my wife was very impressed with it. She could tell a difference right away! I am planning to watch all of The Matrix movies this weekend and now I can't wait! I do plan to get the 905 (I really could use 4 HDMI inputs plus the 2 OUTS will be fun) but if I did not need the extra HDMIs then the 805 would definitely be good enough! And the BIG question people have been wondering... YES! You can make the 5.1 into 7.1 over HDMI... Thank God! Because I would not want my back surrounds taking the night off whenever we watch HD DVD or Blu ray discs.
This AVR at 130 watts per channel sounds like it is doing a lot more! I have quite a few subwoofers (7) around my theater. They are stategically placed. Some you hear some you just feel.
Anyway, the 805 handled them like a champ!
So far so good over here. I have sent in 1080p/60 and 24 without a hitch. I have also sent in 1080i, 720p, 480p, and of course 480i. They all work well. I only plan to watch 1080i and above for the rest of my life so I may not be the best expert when it comes to 480i sources.
I have to head into Chicago later this morning but I will be back tonite. If you have any questions feel free to post them and I will answer them the best I can. I apologize for not posting any pics yet. I just haven't had the time to get some done. I will as soon as I can slow down and breathe. I hope my "mini" review helps out some of you. Again, I apologize for being curt but I have just been so damn busy this week. That's why I was so dissapointed I did not get the 805 on Friday or Saturday... I have only spent about 2 or 3 hours with it so far... But if you are still wondering if this receiver is worth it, DON'T! At this price range you won't find a better sounding unit with all these codecs and features... Onkyo has out done itself with this unit. More later...

SPECIAL REQUEST:

Question: I want to use component and or HDMI input and component and or HDMI output. What does the 805 convert to what? When does the 805 downscale 1080p to 720p?

A:

For component input > 805 > HDMI OUTPUT:

480i > 480p

480p > 480p

720p > 720p

1080i > 720p

1080p > 720p

(It will convert component to HDMI with a max of 720p)

With HDMI input > 805 > HDMI OUTPUT:

480p > 480p

720p > 720p

1080i > 1080i

1080p > 1080p

(EVERYTHING IS UNTOUCHED)

For component INPUT > 805 > OUTPUT

480i > 480p

480p > 480p

720p > 720p

1080i > 1080i

1080p > 1080p

(EVERYTHING IS UNTOUCHED)

HOPE THIS HELPS!

See less See more
#15,641 ·
No issues with my 805:

DTS Bomb doesn't really apply to the PS3 and it doesn't bitstream the HD stuff. Besides, a DSP upgrade fixes that.

As for the heat, even though my unit is in the open air, I bought one of those fans that's on the FAQ for the 705. Quite a few have them here.

Seggers

#15,642 ·
Chad,

Maybe its just me but I'm not digging the Audyssey just yet. I'm having problem optimizing my sounds. I will play with them some more but right now I have them set to off with the exception of distance w/ frequency of 80Hz across the board.

Question for the experts. Do I need to max out (120Hz instead of 80Hz) the frequency knob in my sub or will the internal setting override it. Thanks a bunch!

#15,643 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorneth1 /forum/post/14605109

Question for the experts. Do I need to max out (120Hz instead of 80Hz) the frequency knob in my sub or will the internal setting override it. Thanks a bunch!

I think that depends on the sub. Some subs bypass the internal crossover when you hook up the signal to the LFE input. So, the receiver crossover setting is what determines what gets sent to the sub. Other subs may still use the internal crossover, in which case you should just turn it all the way up. That way, the receiver crossover setting is what's limiting the signal, with the sub accepting everything it gets. Make sense?

#15,644 ·
I too am having sound issues from HDMI connection from DirectTV connection to 805. I get no sound out thru my speakers connected to the receiver but if I select "HDMI Audio Out" as "on" then the sound gets passed thru to my TV and it plays on my TV speakers fine...I want sound from my home theater speakers connected to the 805...does anybody have any suggestions? Am I missing something in the setup or configuration?

Thanks for your help.

#15,645 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorneth1 /forum/post/14605109

Chad,

Maybe its just me but I'm not digging the Audyssey just yet. I'm having problem optimizing my sounds. I will play with them some more but right now I have them set to off with the exception of distance w/ frequency of 80Hz across the board.

I've mentioned it several times in this thread before, but for the first few months I owned my 805 I didn't like Audyssey and left it turned off. Then I read about all of the Audyssey calibration procedures and found I was doing pretty much everything right *except* I was only doing a 3 point calibration because I only have 3 seating positions. Once I started doing 8 point calibrations that made all of the difference. I'm now a big fan. Check out the Audyssey thread and scan this thread for more calibration info, but here are the basics:
  • first, pick a time of day when family members are out of the house and neighbors are not mowing the lawn, running chainsaws, leaf blowers, etc. For me, that is usually early morning or late at night.
  • make sure the room is absolutely silent. Temporarily turn off the A/C, unplug the fridge, unplug phones, turn off cell phones, etc.
  • use a tripod for the microphone and try to place the mic at the height and location of your ears. Make sure nothing on the tripod or your furniture is blocking between the speakers and microphone.
  • probably not necessary, but I put bath towels on the seating to simulate the clothing of the people who would normally be sitting there.
  • "pre-calibrate" your sub(s) by setting the sub level control on the 805 to "0", then adjust the volume level of your sub so that it is somewhere in the 75db to 82db range using the knob on the sub itself. This is so you will have plenty of +/- range in the 805's sub channel level control. If your sub has a phase control, set it to the "0" or "off" setting.
  • do a 6 point calibration at minimum. Best to do 8 points
  • after the calibration, I change all crossover points to match my speaker specs. I don't leave any of them full range. In my setup, that results in 80hz for mains and center, and 100hz for side and back surrounds.
  • after the setup, use an SPL meter to bring all speakers to 75db.

I may be missing something, but that's the main stuff I can think of.

#15,646 ·
I guess there are no quick solution to this but to browse the thread, experiment on my own, and see other's settings. Thanks for the input I will definitely try what you suggested especially the 8 seating position. I only did it for 3 position but I will go ahead and try more. Did you have any input for the sub knob calibration? Thanks.

#15,647 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metal /forum/post/14605669

I think that depends on the sub. Some subs bypass the internal crossover when you hook up the signal to the LFE input. So, the receiver crossover setting is what determines what gets sent to the sub. Other subs may still use the internal crossover, in which case you should just turn it all the way up. That way, the receiver crossover setting is what's limiting the signal, with the sub accepting everything it gets. Make sense?

Thanks Mr.Metal, that's what I've read so far but I want to hear from others as well. Will go ahead and try it.

#15,648 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorneth1 /forum/post/14605853

I guess there are no quick solution to this but to browse the thread, experiment on my own, and see other's settings. Thanks for the input I will definitely try what you suggested especially the 8 seating position. I only did it for 3 position but I will go ahead and try more. Did you have any input for the sub knob calibration? Thanks.

Mr.Metal covered that pretty well. What brand/model sub do you have?

#15,649 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T /forum/post/14605816

I've mentioned it several times in this thread before, but for the first few months I owned my 805 I didn't like Audyssey and left it turned off. Then I read about all of the Audyssey calibration procedures and found I was doing pretty much everything right *except* I was only doing a 3 point calibration because I only have 3 seating positions. Once I started doing 8 point calibrations that made all of the difference. I'm now a big fan. Check out the Audyssey thread and scan this thread for more calibration info, but here are the basics:
  • make sure the room is absolutely silent. Temporarily turn off the A/C, unplug the fridge, etc.
  • use a tripod for the microphone and try to place the mic at the height and location of your ears. Make sure nothing on the tripod or your furniture is blocking between the speakers and microphone.
  • probably not necessary, but I put bath towels on the seating to simulate the clothing of the people who would normally be sitting there.
  • do a 6 point calibration at minimum. Best to do 8 points
  • after the calibration, I change all crossover points to match my speaker specs. I don't leave any of them full range. In my setup, that results in 80hz for mains and center, and 100hz for side and back surrounds.
  • after the setup, use an SPL meter to bring all speakers to 75db.

I may be missing something, but that's the main stuff I can think of.

One other thing I've found useful is to calibrate my sub to 75db before doing the Audyssey setup. Set the level calibration for the sub to 0, then adjust the volume knob on the sub to get to 75db.

#15,651 ·
Excellent mini how-to Chad. I'll second unplugging the fridge etc. I ran Audyssey one last spring with the windows open and the birds outside were too loud!

#15,652 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex /forum/post/14605885

One other thing I've found useful is to calibrate my sub to 75db before doing the Audyssey setup. Set the level calibration for the sub to 0, then adjust the volume knob on the sub to get to 75db.

Yes, good advice. I have two subs, so it is even more critical to pre-calibrate to make sure each sub is calibrated equally so one doesn't have to work harder than the other.

That reminds me of one other thing: if your sub has a phase control, I believe Audyssey recommends turning it to the "off" or "zero" setting before running the calibration.

#15,653 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk /forum/post/14605932

Excellent mini how-to Chad. I'll second unplugging the fridge etc. I ran Audyssey one last spring with the windows open and the birds outside were too loud!

Thanks! Yeah, Audyssey seems to be really sensitive to any sort of noise.

One other thing: I run Audyssey late at night or early in the morning.....some time when neighbors aren't out running lawn mowers, chain saws, etc. Also, one time I had the UPS guy ring my door bell during the test tones of the 8th point of the calibration. That was 45 minutes totally wasted as I had to completely re-do the calibration.

#15,654 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeysnout /forum/post/14605725

I too am having sound issues from HDMI connection from DirectTV connection to 805. I get no sound out thru my speakers connected to the receiver but if I select "HDMI Audio Out" as "on" then the sound gets passed thru to my TV and it plays on my TV speakers fine...I want sound from my home theater speakers connected to the 805...does anybody have any suggestions? Am I missing something in the setup or configuration?

Thanks for your help.

That is the correct behaivor of "HDMI audio out" but you should obviously hear sound from the speakers when that is off. Are you sure you have the inputs assigned correctly, and have the right input selected?

#15,655 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T /forum/post/14605965

Yes, good advice. I have two subs, so it is even more critical to pre-calibrate to make sure each sub is calibrated equally so one doesn't have to work harder than the other.

That reminds me of one other thing: if your sub has a phase control, I believe Audyssey recommends turning it to the "off" or "zero" setting before running the calibration.

Chad, did you start with 1 sub then upgrade to 2? Does having 2 subs make a big difference?

#15,656 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex /forum/post/14606232

Chad, did you start with 1 sub then upgrade to 2? Does having 2 subs make a big difference?

I had a single SVS 20-30PC+ sub, but sold it and upgraded to two AV123 MFW-15 subs awhile back. The main thing I noticed is that my frequency response really evened out. For example, the first time I watched the tripod rising scene in WOTW after switching to two subs there were parts that didn't have near the impact before. It really evened things out.

I also got some additional headroom, but the SVS did pretty good in that regard to begin with. The sound is also cleaner/more musical, but I think that is the difference between the SVS and AV123 subs and not so much one vs. two.

#15,657 ·
Chad, just out of pure curiosity, how do you place these subs? Opposing mid-wall points, are both up front, etc? Was there much experimenting at all? Just curious because I've wondered about going dual . . . one day . . . far in the future . . . my sub is expensive . . .

And my room is not symmetrical but open on one side. I don't have tremendous options in placement either, and they definitely will not fit up front, due to screen size. I've noticed localization is easier the louder I crank it. Pressurized from the right side.
Thanks for your two cents.

#15,658 ·
My room opens up into another room as well. From right to left, my setup is currently: wall->right main->sub->center->sub->left main->open into adjoining room. Not totally ideal, and I don't have much room for other placement options, but I'm pleased with the sound. My front wall is similar to "Figure 1" in this article aside from the adjoining room:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ge...nection-guide/

#15,660 ·
Thank you for the response, Chad. I'm glad you are enjoying the setup.

Ya know, a big possible benefit you have with subs up front is that you could boost certain frequencies, particularly the more localizable ones, from the subs. I personally find the one and possibly only area where HTs are not as good as some cinemas is the midbass. Entirely the fault of the mains. So, some people add a shelving filter to boost the area around 110hz or so from the subs with something like a DCX2496. Some call it the kick the chest or something. Wish I could actually give that a shot.

Can only do that when they are placed near the mains.