Last updated: 04.03.10

A Few Items New or Prospective Owners may want to Know

REVIEWSDownloads:

General information:
Universal Remotes & RS232 codes:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Code:
Code:
- [URL='http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Search?keywords=ir+and+hex+codes+sc-0'][B]IR and Hex codes[/B][/URL] 
-Pronto (ccf format) files and "Universal" (mxf) files  [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16013382#post16013382']here[/URL] 
-RS232C Protocols for Custom installations [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-07%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-07[/URL]  and  [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-05%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-05[/URL] 
-Crestron , Crestron's Integrated Partner Module  [URL='http://www.crestron.com/tools_and_resources/programming_and_integration_resources/integrated_partner_modules/default.asp?module_id=658&devicetype_id=&manufacturer_id=134']Click Here[/URL] 
-Harmony codes: available as of 10/30/08 (ccotenj)
- [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16131010#post16131010']Harmony Remote Tips[/URL]
- Service Codes

========================================================

Tips/Examples from Members:

========================================================

Networking and Streaming:
-Apple and OS/X networking and Music Streaming ccotenj
-Internet radio Impression1 Impression2
-Network and media server connections ( a_ok2me )
Tips:
-To access HMG MENUS with the remote, be sure to switch from "receiver" to "source"
- Cooling/Ventilation
-SC-LX81 (SC-07) autopsy and here
-Removing stickers without Scratching? Method1 Method2 Method3
-Dimmer setting location: bottom portion of the remote, under the sliding door (number 3 button)
- PURE Direct Observations by MacFan
Subwoofers/Speakers
-Quickstart Speaker setup - MacFan
- Bossobass guide to subwoofers
-General Subwoofer settings (Macfan424) and here
-How do I hook up my Definitive Mythos to the SC/05/07/09? MacFan424
- Dual Subs Graphicguy and MacFan424
LFE/MCACC
-Proper Microphone position for calibration Ray
-LFE and crossover settings MacFan and secrets by Colin Miller & Brian Florian Thanks MacFan
-Why are my MCACC settings 6db lower from my last Pioneer? ss9001
-X-Curve and room sample by eldithomaso
- Connecting your PC to MCACC
- MCACC calibration MacFan
- MCACC and background noise by ss9001
General Connections:
-How to set Video HDMI with Digital (Optical/Coax) Audio Click here
-PS3 connection to Your new SC-05/07 AUDIO/VIDEO
- working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3 by mhdiab
-Zone 2 and 3 configuration example by Geoff and alerion
-Adding the ability to watch TV from one source and Audio from another? method1 (SC-05/07) method2 (SC-07)
-HMG and an external HD JS1000
Utilities
-DIY 12VDC Trigger for switching by mrgribbles and circuit diagrams by decoupe
-Member recommended CD to FLAC converters EAC winamp dBpower
-Rippng DTS with Windows - Info_Dan
- How much Power do you actually use? SPL Calculator Thanks MacFan
- Resetting your AVR/Service Mode Codes
- HMG Update
Potential problems:
-Problems with DD+ with the Toshiba XA2 and Samsung HD-DVD. Workarounds from FilmMixer and ss9001
-Rel Subwoofers and SC-05/07/09 Precautions
- Flashing MCACC LED and LED Issues
-Fios Cable Box shows "green screen of death" -- Try HDMI Input 3
added January-March 2010

MCACC background noise ss9001

SPL Calculator

SC-07 with Oppo 83 review Shane55 member's review (page 3)

working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3

FW HMG updates from users

Raymond G review
My first impression - original first post

See less See more
#2,401 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 /forum/post/15079963

I'm not 100% sure that I know what I'm looking at, but the link to the Japanese pictures that markabuckley posted depicts a WM8740 chip in the SC07. So the DAC's are not all the same between the different models?

I'm don't know what's in the SC-05, but Pioneer uses the 8740 DAC in the SC-07, the BDP-05/51 players & upcoming BDP-09 player. Only the SC-09 gets the 8741 DAC's. They advertised that the SC-09/LX90 AVR had the 8741 DAC in the original press announcements, in Sept 07. And there are only 6 in the 09. IIRC, I think the BDP-09 player will have 1 8740 DAC per channel.

ss9001

#2,402 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/15080205

of course we were right...

suggestion: manually go in and set all your speakers to "small"... let the sub do it's job (plus take the load off of the amplification in the avr)... all of the correction software (mcacc, audyssey, etc.) tends to set speakers to "large", since it's measuring frequency response...

glad you like it... it IS a nice toy, even if at times we sound like a mutual admiration society in here...

I will second or third or fourth this

#2,403 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult /forum/post/15075025

That's the same old switchable upsampling Pioneer has had for years in their receivers and DVD players, and most people prefer to leave it engaged. Hibit increases the 16 bit CD signal to 20 or 24 bits to give more bit depth for processing. Hismp increases the 44.1K signal to a higher sampling rate for processing. The BB chip in the 07 scales everything up 192K/24-bit before processing. Apparently Pioneer thinks it works well enough that they don't make it switchable in the 07. Think of it like a video scaler but it's in the audio domain. The 07 appears to have a very good audio scaler.

One more question on the HIBITSMP on the SC-05. Should this be engaged for all digital sources i.e. CD, DVD, Digital Cable/HDTV, Blu-ray via HDMI out?

#2,404 ·
i leave it engaged all the time... but as usual, my "testing" is non-scientific, and nowhere near thorough...

i wish i was more patient and willing to do better testing...

as an aside, i'm streaming "all the world's a stage" from my appletv right now (256vbr), with neural thx engaged... i'm having some significant flashbacks to my yute... other than the, ummm, lack of chemical enhancements, it's like i'm there...

#2,405 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/15082582

i leave it engaged all the time... but as usual, my "testing" is non-scientific, and nowhere near thorough...

as an aside, i'm streaming "all the world's a stage" from my appletv right now (256vbr), with neural thx engaged... i'm having some significant flashbacks to my yute... other than the, ummm, lack of chemical enhancements, it's like i'm there...

..."Thank You, Thank You very much!"....I can hear Geddy from here!

#2,407 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer_Hohn /forum/post/15082726

Hello,

today I have opened my SC-LX81 (SC-07). The result you can see on the picture. The numbers are a little different to the picture shown on original japanese pioneer page.

Thank you very much for the pic.....Did you by any chance get a shot of the AMP section?

#2,409 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley /forum/post/15082771

looks same as was on the JP site ? certainly same DAC and SRC ?

anyone brave enough to do the same for hte SC05/LX71

cheers, Mark.

That would be very interesting. I think there might be a significant difference between the 05 & 07. With the latter, the SRC (which is effectively the source of the timing info) is clearly right next to the DAC, which is exactly what you want it.

By all accounts, the SRC on the 05 is on the HDMI board. As well as being further from the DACs, it could be that the SRC works on the HDMI signal which is clocked to video. The audio then has to be decoded and down-clocked for the DACs, and thats not good for jitter, even if the cheap, no-name SRC is any good anyway.

Contradicting my cynical suspicion, David Vaughn said on UAV that the benefit of PQLS/ARC when playing CDs on a BDP-05 (I think) was questionable. And that was through an otherwise transparent and revealing amp. The 07 SRC cannot be as good as PQLS, so the advantage may not be so great.

It would be really great if we could get some sort of confirmation one way or the other.

Nick

#2,412 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/15082582

I will just leave it engaged for everything then, it probably won't hurt. Thanks

BTW, "All the Worlds a stage" was my first Rush album and got it when it was released in '76. They have been my favorite band every since!

#2,416 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos /forum/post/15083351

maybe it's me, but I don't see the amplifier section ?

Looks like it's hidden underneath all the I/O boards......Could you please remove those boards and take some more pics.....
......J/K.

Thanks for the additional pics! Looks like it would be tough to get a shot of the HDMI board as wll....Curious why they used copper screws throughout on the inside but left them off the external screws on the case.

#2,417 ·
#2,419 ·
49................... Unfortunately mine was a lemon. Channels went out at the drop of a hat. Not the amp, but the digital stuff feeding the signals to the amp..............

In the picture I have one of the digital boards removed. The one hanging is a daughter board to the other one at the top. The chips that went bad last time are on the board I have out. I need to wait until after the holidays are over to attempt a repair...........

#2,420 ·
perhaps I'll get a SC05 then lol !

your post puts me off a 2nd hand 49TX with no warranty - I'd heard of DAC issues before

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 /forum/post/15084490

49................... Unfortunately mine was a lemon. Channels went out at the drop of a hat. Not the amp, but the digital stuff feeding the signals to the amp..............

In the picture I have one of the digital boards removed. The one hanging is a daughter board to the other one at the top. The chips that went bad last time are on the board I have out. I need to wait until after the holidays are over to attempt a repair...........