AVS Forum banner

Best HTPC keyboard reception-wise? Adesso vs DSI vs Logitech vs ... ?

68K views 67 replies 43 participants last post by  MKANET 
#1 ·
So having recently built an HTPC, I'm looking for feedback on one of the most important aspects: the keyboard.

The keyboard I went with was the DSI wireless keyboard that looks exactly like Adesso. Here it is on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/2-4GHz-Wireles.../dp/B000MLB6V4 for only $50.

Now, the more popular Adesso keyboard ( http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=336 , http://www.amazon.com/Adesso-Wireles...7073246&sr=1-2 ) costs $11 more and looks absolutely exactly the same as DSI. Both say they're 2.4Ghz, does anyone know if one is just rebranded?

So, the problem is, while this keyboard is great when it works, it has extremely ****** reception. I'm sitting about 12-15 feet away from the computer (with the ugly USB stick receiver protruding out of it as you can see on the pictures here: http://beerpla.net/2008/11/08/buildi...ng-1080p-h264/ ) and I keep having problems with reception.

It never completely loses it but the mouse becomes very jerky and spotty, the keys get missed, and if there's a bit of a barrier (person, table, even food item) in the direct line of sight, the problems become 2x worse. When I read reviews, people seem to mention reception problems for pretty much every wireless keyboard, so I'm still unsure if I can do better. Is this out of the ordinary?

What is the best wireless keyboard? I really like the trackball AND the trigger-like left click underneath the keyboard on the right side. I also like the left/right click keys on the left side.

Oh, and another really odd thing I noticed is when I start transferring files over the 802.11N connection, the faster the transfer, the more interference I seem to get. At 5MB/s (megabytes per second), which seems to be my wireless' max throughput, I get jerky movements even if the keyboard is next to the PC. What gives?

Any suggestions, experiences, and comments appreciated.

See less See more
#27 ·
Another vote for the diNovo Edge, best keyboard I've bought. And like others have said, it has a killer battery life, it'll hold a charge for a good 4-6 months.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero /forum/post/15139530

I returned my DiNovo Mini because it didn't have a mouse roller and it took too many keystrokes to use the Fn keys (both of which I use on a regular basis with MPC-HC). Reception was excellent, though.

So... what is the perfect keyboard that has the scroll wheel, perfect reception, and all shebang?

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfa138 /forum/post/15140630

Adesso, DSI, and nMedia, either one will do the job. Has the scroll wheel, RF signal for perfect reception.

well, if you see my comments (and some others') about reception, it's far from perfect with these keyboards.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniti029 /forum/post/15130522

Make sure USB keyboard support is enabled in your BIOS. I thought i had that problem also until I saw the option.

Thanks for the response but I have USB keyboard support enabled. As a matter in fact, I have multiple Logitech wireless keyboard / mouse combos around the house and all work in BIOS whereas the Adesso does not.

I have tested the Adesso in multiple PC's as well and it will not work until an OS in booted.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gujuman /forum/post/15144133

I like the BTC solution below...it's cheap and very good....i have the BTC 9019URFIII

http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-21...htm#9019URFIII

I wanted to try this one out but saw that it uses the same 2.4Ghz technology as Adesso, so I didn't get it.

Just got the Dinovo Mini and the reception is excellent due to bluetooth. The keyboard itself though makes me want to smash it into a wall, compared to Adesso. No function keys, a 2-key combination just to mouse right click, awkward switching between mouse and arrow keys, pretty bad touchpad (at least without the software installed) - ever try to drag and drop something just using the touchpad? Not to mention no scrolling (just the page down and up keys). This baby is going back but I will be considering the full size Dinovo Edge, just because of bluetooth.

The Gyration option looks interesting too.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon810 /forum/post/15161965

I wanted to try this one out but saw that it uses the same 2.4Ghz technology as Adesso, so I didn't get it.

Just got the Dinovo Mini and the reception is excellent due to bluetooth. The keyboard itself though makes me want to smash it into a wall, compared to Adesso. No function keys, a 2-key combination just to mouse right click, awkward switching between mouse and arrow keys, pretty bad touchpad (at least without the software installed) - ever try to drag and drop something just using the touchpad? Not to mention no scrolling (just the page down and up keys). This baby is going back but I will be considering the full size Dinovo Edge, just because of bluetooth.

The Gyration option looks interesting too.

I didn't care for the mini Dinovo, due to exactly what you mentioned. IMO, the full size is much better. And the full-size is pretty thin also.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/15162701

I didn't care for the mini Dinovo, due to exactly what you mentioned. IMO, the full size is much better. And the full-size is pretty thin also.

with your Edge, did you get used to the seemingly crappy touch pad?

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon810 /forum/post/15102338

So, the problem is, while this keyboard is great when it works, it has extremely ****** reception. I'm sitting about 12-15 feet away from the computer (with the ugly USB stick receiver protruding out of it as you can see on the pictures here: http://beerpla.net/2008/11/08/buildi...ng-1080p-h264/ ) and I keep having problems with reception.

It never completely loses it but the mouse becomes very jerky and spotty, the keys get missed, and if there's a bit of a barrier (person, table, even food item) in the direct line of sight, the problems become 2x worse. When I read reviews, people seem to mention reception problems for pretty much every wireless keyboard, so I'm still unsure if I can do better. Is this out of the ordinary?...

I had the same problem with my Logitech LX 710 (I needed a REAL keyboard), solved putting a long USB cable with the receiver on top of the Sony 50, actually is sitting beside the Central speaker, placing it in a rised position helped a lot

Nik

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger2000 /forum/post/15164353

I had the same problem with my Logitech LX 710 (I needed a REAL keyboard), solved putting a long USB cable with the receiver on top of the Sony 50, actually is sitting beside the Central speaker, placing it in a rised position helped a lot

Nik

Hrm... that is a potentially great idea! I'll definitely try that, because I'm quite happy with the Adesso style and functionality other than reception. Thanks for the hint!

#39 ·

I have been using this Dinovo Mini for 4 months here.

I use it for my ps3 (occasionally) and home theater pc (most of the time)

-Battery Life: I love the battery life on this thing its amazing. It stays charged for a month easy if you used it all the time.. and a couple months + if you occasionally use it . The ability to switch modes between mouse pad and direction pad is cool. Also the later versions of the software now allow you to manually assign any key or combo of keyboard hotkeys your want. Which make all the hidden functions now available to you. NOTE: The Battery is removable... if it fails over time. just get another lithium ion from logitech and do it yourself.

-Back Light: Its nice and bright.. when you switch modes the backlight colors change. It amazes how bright this shines and yet the battery lasts for 1-2 months. All the letters are fully backlit... however a quick dimmer lowers the light to nothing when not in use on the main keys... less distracting in the dark. Very well thought out lighting system.

-PC Gamers: The hotkey remapping on the later software allowed me to start using my home theater pc as a pc gaming rig on the big screen. I use a wireless xbox 360 controller as my main means of control in game and the dinovo mini to navigate the mouse when its needed or occasional odd keyboard controls I would need (for cheats or menu navigation or chatting in mmo's).

-Very Light and Portable: I definitely like the compact size of it. Typing definitely is not as fast as a full sized keyboard (if you are a typing pro)... but if you can text message on a iPhone it should be no problem for you. Thumb typing seems like second nature once your try it out, even if you aren't a text'er type person.

I have tried the mid to full sized keyboard path many times in the past in the living room and I cant stand lugging that bulky thing onto my lap when I need to do something with it... dinovo mini is controller size and quick to pick up and sit back down without needing to situate myself any kind of way or have a hard time looking to place it back down or need to set it in some kinda of fancy charging stand. Not to mention full sized keyboard in the living room are a bit of an eye soar due to their sheer size. Dinovo mini can sit on the coffee table and blend right in next to your remote.

-Bluetooth Receiver: The bluetooth usb receiver it comes with has a little pairing button on it which eliminates the need to type in a bluetooth password onscreen or through software. Which means if you dont want to install the included software you do not need it at all it is self contained. Software is mainly for hotkey remapping. Also i never had to re-pair the device after computer or ps3 reboots.. ever!

- PS3/PC Switch: There is a switch in the back that allows you to go from ps3 mode to pc control mode. The only downside is you need to unplug the bluetooth receiver and move it from pc to ps3 or vice versa. However, it remembers the paired connection you had before after you click the switch. So you don't need to re-pair it once your switch the usb dongle from machine to machine. Very nifty. I am tempted to buy a second usb dongle from logitech (not sure if they sell it online anywhere). This would allow me to just hit the switch in the back and never have to unplug/replug the usb receiver again.

-360: It wont work on xbox 360. The one downside to this device.

-Reception: As far as reception goes I have not had a problem at all. I am about 15 feet from the receiver. I have yet to do a extreme distance test on it. I do remember reading that people experienced drop outs on this device back when I was 1st doing homework on it before I bought it. I am happy to say I never have seen this happen once!

I definitely would recommend it if anyone is in the market.. at very least put it on your radar and do some homework on it.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon810 /forum/post/15164007

with your Edge, did you get used to the seemingly crappy touch pad?

I rarely use the touch pad, it just isn't as 'functional' as a real mouse. If I'm watching a movie, and just need to get to a menu item, I'll use the touchpad. But for everything else, mouse all the way.

#42 ·
I have the diNovo Edge on the way. Hopefully it will serve my purposes (movies, web-browsing) though the mixed reviews of the touchpad have me a little nervous.

I'll post some initial impressions once I get a chance.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by upchuk_ise /forum/post/15128626

This one is very pricey but has features none other have... The remote acts as an air mouse so the keyboard is small and simple. I find 90% having the mouse is enough to do what I want.

Gyration USB 2.4GHz RF Wireless Mini Air Music Remote w/ MotionSense & Compact Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823172021

Forgot the mention the remote has a small display for music control. That's pretty sweet!

I have this wireless keyboard/mouse/remote setup. The keyboard sucks. It is constantly dropping keys.

The gyration remote works great, though!

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagz /forum/post/15188353

I have the diNovo Edge on the way. Hopefully it will serve my purposes (movies, web-browsing) though the mixed reviews of the touchpad have me a little nervous.

I'll post some initial impressions once I get a chance.

You will never look back, I swear. Oh by the way, make sure you install the setpoint software (I'm sure the driver CD that comes with the keyboard is out of date, you might as well just download the newest version from the Logitech website)

With the setpoint software those lovely ZOOM buttons on the left hand side work FLAWLESSLY. I never used to surf the web on my HTPC, but now it's just amazing!

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETninja /forum/post/15131406

The Rocketfish BT KB at Bestbuy looks interesting, around $100.

I use the Rocketfish BT KB and mouse. Works much better than previous Logitech wireless combo from 15 feet.

#47 ·
I'm close to buying the dinovo edge for the htpc but I'm starting to second guess myself thinking that I may end up gaming a bit on the big screen at about 10' away so now I'm looking into combos or seperates.

I've briefly looked into the Logitech MX5500 but I'm not a fan how the mouse is constructed. I guess I'm more of a traditional mouse fanboy.

One question that I have is can I buy separate keyboard and mouse and have them work off of one bluetooth usb receiver? Should I go with one brand when going this route? Or should I try to stick with a combo?

Also, would RF or IR be an option at 10-12'?

Any other suggested products that haven't been listed in this thread?

Thanks!

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0p /forum/post/15180526

I've been using the 9019URF verision (last keyboard on page) for years now. Only have problems when the batterys are getting low. Love the handles & joystick... Batterys last for months.

Me too - best $39 keyboard I ever bought. Get a short USB extender and place the receiver out from behind the HTPC and almost double the range. I have a Kensington 2.4g mouse, a 2.4g 802.11g, and this 2.4g device, and haven't seen any interference yet.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1110 /forum/post/15211245

I'm close to buying the dinovo edge for the htpc but I'm starting to second guess myself thinking that I may end up gaming a bit on the big screen at about 10' away so now I'm looking into combos or seperates.

I've briefly looked into the Logitech MX5500 but I'm not a fan how the mouse is constructed. I guess I'm more of a traditional mouse fanboy.

One question that I have is can I buy separate keyboard and mouse and have them work off of one bluetooth usb receiver? Should I go with one brand when going this route? Or should I try to stick with a combo?

Also, would RF or IR be an option at 10-12'?

Any other suggested products that haven't been listed in this thread?

Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you, so I said screw it, and went with a wired mouse and USB extension.

#50 ·
I have the dinovo edge and would not buy it again.

1. Built in battery. Unless logitech will replace the battery for a fee, these keyboards will have a limited life. I already notice the battery life getting shorter.

2. Fragile keys. The keys break easily, at least for me. Logitech will send an entire new keyboard for free if you report it, but won't send a spare key.

3. Touch sensitive volume. I can't tell you how many times the volume changed on accident.

4. No number pad. I can live without this, but it can be a hindrance. Using the calculator is specifically annoying. Some games also require the use of the number pad.

5. Having to hold Fn to do use the Play/Pause, Stop, Forward, and Back. Would it have been too hard to give these dedicated buttons in place of the useless magnifying glass buttons on the left?

6. (Minor) The scroll function on the touch pad rarely activates on the first try. It gets easier the more I use it, but still.

--------------------------------

The wireless connection is good. If you hold down the button on the receiver when you plug it in, the USB receiver functions in bluetooth mode and other devices can connect. Unfortunately, I seem to have to unplug the receiver and insert it without pressing the button to get back in HID mode (to use the bios).

Logitech could have something if they would allow a bluetooth keyboard to pair to two devices simultaneously and have a switch to switch between them. This would allow me to switch the Dinovo between the PC and PS3 by flipping a switch. As it stands, the Dinovo is 1 device at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.