151FD Product Brochure

The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread

The Official 9G Pioneer General Discussion Thread

9G Elite Reviews

D-Nice's Review of the Pro-111FD

Sound and Vision's Review of the Pro-111FD

Ultimate AV's review of the Pro-111FD

CNet's review of the Pro-111FD

It seems I'm the first to get the PRO-151FD in this forum so I figured I'd start the Thread.

First impressions:

Can notice blacker blacks over 5010. It's hard to tell were the bezel ends with the black bars.

Initial start up is set to performance mode.

While in the menu. Very slight buzz when you put your head behind the set. Can't hear it in front at all. Haven't try TV or video yet but I will before I start break-in.

Update regarding buzz:

While running the break-in disc, I do hear a buzz which does change pitch from dark to light screens, light screens higher pitch, but I have to be 2 to 3 feet from the front to hear it and it's the same as my 5010. My DVR box is louder then the buzz.

Not the brightest backlite remote I've seen. It's a little hard to see if the room is very dark.

I like the menus better then the 5010. I didn't care for the windows xp-ish menus in the 5010.

It has a great tool menu that comes up from the bottom during viewing which you can change settings like picture mode and screen size. Here's the post of the picture. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=10

PRO-111FD/151FD Specs:

- High-Definition 1080p Resolution (1920 x 1080p)

- 50”/60" Diagonal Class / 16:9 Wide-Screen Aspect Ratio

- 1080 Progressive Image Reproduction with ability to accept 480i / 480p / 720p / 1080i / and TRUE 1080p 24fps signals

- New Deeper, Intense Blacks for Unmatched Contrast (5x Previous Generation)

- New Thinner Cosmetic Design with ››Elegant Acrylic Bezel

- New, Improved Optimum Mode. Automatically analyses and adjusts audio and video settings according to specific room light conditions and type of light and color. Program content is also monitored and finely adjusted so movies, sports and news are all faithfully reproduced. Includes OSD with status.

- New External Color Sensor

- Room Light Sensor for automatic picture adjustment adjustment

- PureCinema Smooth Film Motion mode to eliminate motion jutter in 3:2 Pulldown (60Hz) providing natural even playback of content created on film

- 4 Independent HDMI 1.3 inputs with HDMI-CEC control and the ability ››to accept 1080p 24/60Hz signal

- Standard 3:2 (60Hz) and Advanced PureCinema with 3:3 Pulldown (72Hz) for accurate playback of film content

- Fully integrated ATSC and NTSC Tuner with Clear QAM

- Home Media Gallery – offering a multimedia experience to enjoy movies, music and photos through an existing home network or USB memory device

- ISFccc Calibration Ready for professional customization of plasma picture according to personal preferences for contrast, tint, color as well as room conditions for both day and nighttime viewing. Includes:

- Independent Gamma Control (R / G / B) for heightened color ––calibration

- V-Chip Parental Control

- Remote Control – Illuminated / Preset Mode / Learning Mode

- New Advanced Redesigned GUI

- A/V Selection Memory – 10 options for viewing preferences: Optimum / Performance / Sports / Movie / PURE / Game / Standard*/ ISF-Day / ISF-Night / ISF-Auto (PC input: only Standard)

- Aspect Ratio Control – 9 positions: Auto* / Full / “Dot by Dot” / Zoom* / Cinema* / 4:3 / Wide* (only for SD) / Wide1* (only for HD) / Wide2* (only for HD) *Except PC signal

- Advanced Picture-in-Picture (4 positions), Picture-side-Picture for use with Home Media Gallery & Broadcast and Still Picture capability

- After-Image Reduction Function

- Orbiter (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Auto Size (Off/ Natural / Wide-Zoom)

- Side Mask Detection (Mode 1 – for black side masks / Mode 2 – for black & illustrated side masks)

- Side Mask Brightness Sync (Fixed / Auto)

- Video Pattern (White Bar)

- Game Control Preference (AV Selection: only Game) (Off / On)

- Fine Tune Setting for ultimate picture control of color temperature, noise reduction and color management

- Intelligent Mode (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Room Light Sensor & New External Color Sensor (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

See less See more
#8,561 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/15278781

Would somebody back up progprog ? I dont want to ruin the PQ on my 151 if I do buy it.

Could or would I still benefit from break in if I did it after running it for 50 hours first ,or no?

I've been enjoying my set like a normal TV from the very first night on. Past that, take common sense precautions in the first 100 hours or so. Try to avoid lengthy times with static images, tickers, black bars, etc. Maybe keep the contrast capped at 35. Set the Orbiter to mode 2, use gray bars instead of black on 4:3 if the stretch mode drives you nuts...stuff like that.

Past that, please enjoy the set right from the get go!

#8,562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/15278781

Would somebody back up progprog ? I dont want to ruin the PQ on my 151 if I do buy it.

Could or would I still benefit from break in if I did it after running it for 50 hours first ,or no?

That light is not on a dimmer but it is not too bright , I am using these

bulbs...>
http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com...-lamps-ww.aspx

Id basically be buying this site unseen, ive never seen one in person...

but the screen is basically just glass right? Nothing done at all to get the glare down right? Does anybody know if they might have nonglare plasmas in the future?

guys,

I gotta make up my mind pretty quick.

Talk me into getting a 151FD !!

The room my 151 is in is a combination living room/dining area. The 151 is in the living room portion. There is a large window (east facing) to the left of the TV, 2 skylights above (south facing), and a sliding glass door to the right at the other end of the dining area (west facing).

I have no issues watching the 151 in this environment and it is plenty bright for viewing any time of day. For reference I like a natural looking picture and do not like the overly exagerated picture provided by the "torch" settings. I am currently using the ISF modes.

BTW, the screen is not "just glass". There is an antireflective coating that works very well, IMO.

I have not used any special break in procedure and watch whatever I want, which tends to be a variety of programming with a variety of aspect ratios. The stretch modes for 4:3 look fine to me so that is what I use for 4:3 material. Frankly, if it is no problem viewing movies that have black bars on the top and bottom (I've had no issues with this) I don't see why it would be an issue with black bars on the sides.

I was not able to properly audition the 151 before I bought it. The only place locally that had one on display was Best Buy/Magnolia. It was sitting at the entrance of the Magnolia section exposed to all the lights of the main store.
Another store had a 111, but it also was right next to the store entrance.

I ended up purchasing the 151 mainly based on feedback here and reviews with the condition that I could return it if I didn't like it. Needless to say, I am not returning it! It's a real shame so many stores will not display these great sets properly.

Hope something in this post was helpful to you.

#8,563 ·

Quote:
Duck, if you like the added pop of Performance then I would do the exact opposite of what you have done. Leave it on performance, and copy D-Nices' reference settings from Pure mode. Performance is naturally brighter with the same settings from Pure. What you will be sacrificing is linearity throughout within Performance mode.

The ISF settings give you similar overall performance in terms of "punch", but is much more capable of maintaining said linearity throughout things like grayscale, gamma, color, etc etc.

Hmmm interesting, I will definitely try that then. Thanks for the suggestion.

#8,564 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryray /forum/post/15277625

Just swapped out the PRo 1150 for the Pro 111FD.

I did that for the 1080p on blue ray, and I do see the difference.

My question is when watching abc from the direct TV box, when some scenes change I see a very quick horizontal blinds effect. It only last a milli second or two. I don't remember seeing this with the Pro1150.

The DTV HR20 is set to 1080I.

Only seems to happen on ABC (720P)

Anyone else see this?

I can't technically say what is causing this, but I have noticed this as well on some sources (TNT HD, etc.) Check your settings and see what Pure Cinema is set to (Options: Off, Standard, Advance, Smooth). Try turning it off. That might help eliminate the problem.

#8,565 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/15279521

thanks.

What would be the best looking width to go with , the panel is 58"

wide without the speakers,66" with them.

Id kinda like to keep the size down as much as possible.

Id not mind of the panel ends are off the stand a little bit on each side,

or would it look better if the stand was the same or longer than the panel.

Help me out here guys.

Also I am not sure I want a stand that the TV mounts onto.

How sturdy is the stand it comes with?

A lighter wood stand would be nice.

here is my room.....

I am pretty sure I am gonna do this, a friend of mine said he

would buy my sony 46z.

Burn in is still worrying me a bit. What are the odds of me doing this?

I do watch alot of 4:3 stuff with black bars, I dont like stretched out 4:3

too much.

Somebody convince me that this is a waste of $5000 please!

My pocket will thank you!!!!!

I find the stretched 4:3 stuff looks really good since I hooked up my bell satelite pvr reciever. The tv has a mode to deal with 4:3 and when I change channels it is in 4:3 for about 8 seconds then goes full screen, but nothing looks out of proportion. It the best full screen I have seen. The only time I have bars is above and below for some content. Never sides.

Bello is ok, but the BDI novia 8429 at 76" is made to work so well with the 66" wide 151. Its 2kish but nothing works better that I have seen. Beautiful piece of furniture. Comes in light or dark cherry. Glass insert top.

#8,566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/15279521

Somebody convince me that this is a waste of $5000 please!

My pocket will thank you!!!!!

If it's your last $5000 and your kids would have to skip Christmas this year and your house is in foreclosure, or if you're an autoworker (
...couldn't resist that one), then yes, this is a bad financial decision.

Otherwise, just go buy it, watch it, and stop worrying so much!

#8,567 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog /forum/post/15282780

If it's your last $5000 and your kids would have to skip Christmas this year and your house is in foreclosure, or if you're an autoworker (
...couldn't resist that one), then yes, this is a bad financial decision.

Otherwise, just go buy it, watch it, and stop worrying so much!

Good point

#8,568 ·
"If it's your last $5000 and your kids would have to skip Christmas this year and your house is in foreclosure, or if you're an autoworker (...couldn't resist that one), then yes, this is a bad financial decision."

But, as Curtis Mathes once sort of said, "Still Darn Well Worth It".

heh heh

#8,571 ·
From what I gather, this fellow is going to spend 5k on a tv....but it is between an lcd and the elite. So take the can you afford it out of the picture. Large and nearly unaminous ammounts of elite owners are happy, just wander through 288 pages and look for someone unhappy. Much less % of A950, and XBR8 are happy....some are, but there are some with issues and unhappy, this is easy to find on the LCD threads for those 2 sets. Reminding you that there are complaints with the xbr8, and that is from only a handfull of owners, more owners would bring a % more complaints.

If a few hundred people can be nearly 100% happy with a product that they are very particular about, AND paid more for it than you can buy it for

#8,572 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog /forum/post/15282909

Ouch! I know you probably hate to have me point this out, Roman, but financing a purchase like a big ole bad-ass plasma TV might not be a wise thing to do in the current economic environment.

I leave that to the consumer to decide
Its an option and allot of smart consumers take a short term financing term like 6 months.

#8,574 ·
Just wanted to inform everyone of my EXCELLENT experience with a calibraion from Eliab of Avical Video.

He came by on Tuesday to calibrate my Pro-111. Not only was he completely knowledgeable and intelligent, but he is a great person and extremely client focused.

His calibration equipment is top notch and his approach to the entire calibration was perfect. Set up quickly, offered tons of info, continually asked if I had questions, etc...

He engaged ISF Day and Night modes as well as transferred the ISF Night settings to my Pure mode so I can tweak it if desired.

I HIGHLY recommend Eliab and his services.

Oh and my TV looks freakin' incredible!!!

#8,575 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky /forum/post/15283439

Just wanted to inform everyone of my EXCELLENT experience with a calibraion from Eliab of Avical Video.

Thanks for your report..

#8,577 ·
How come the guide that shows up when I press the DISPLAY button is incorrect? I checked all my clock settings and they are all right. Is there a way to completely reset 151fd to factory settings and start all over? I only have this TV for 1 week I can still exchange it if defective. Let me know what you think. Also is there a way to get into the service menu?

#8,580 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRed /forum/post/15283661

How come the guide that shows up when I press the DISPLAY button is incorrect? I checked all my clock settings and they are all right. Is there a way to completely reset 151fd to factory settings and start all over? I only have this TV for 1 week I can still exchange it if defective. Let me know what you think. Also is there a way to get into the service menu?

What guide do you mean? And what's incorrect? (BTW, yes, there is a reset to default option, but let's clarify the problem before you do that. And yes, you can access the service menu, but only with the service remote code or a program like ControlCAL.)