AVS Forum banner

The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread

2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  John Hooper 
#1 ·
#9,643 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalsh /forum/post/15951869

D-Nice, Following up on SheeDoe's question, If I only watch Satellite programs at 1080i, couldn't I just keep Pure Cinema in "OFF" Mode all the time.

You stated that all signals that are not 1080p/24 would be at 60HZ.

This would be easier. Thanks

You could. Just rememeber that there would be zero pulldown done on film based 480i, 720p, 1080i material

#9,644 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/15951604

Do you have a device that shows you the refresh rate of a display? In English, that means can it tell you per a readout what the current refresh rate is?

I am telling you in English.

All the steaming about refresh rate numbers has zero value for practical users.

We are practical users. That concludes its language vocabulary and theoretical knowledge.

This is what practical users have (a standard set to get the best of 5020):

BD player

Two remotes

Blu-ray movies
Nothing else matters.

With BD player remote we set BD player to 24p On or Off.

With 5020 remote we chose from PureCinema Off>Standard>Smooth>Advance.

What for do we switch BD-player from 24p Off to On?

To see the advantage of 24p on our 5020.

What for do we switch PureCinema modes Off/Standard/Smooth/Advance?

There is no room for theory here.

Our eyes and two remotes.

One click on 24p On.

Then four clicks on PureCinema.

Standard and Advance are helpful.

Off and Smooth are useless.

Works equally in all languages.

Quote:
...there are two types of judder.... you being stuck on stupid fail to realize that.

????

I know that pretty well. That's elementary.

Does this unique knowledge help press remote's buttons better?

The 5020 accepts only one click on BD-player remote and four clicks on PureCinema menu.

#9,645 ·
Case and point. I'm done attempting to discuss items that are far beyond your intelligence level.

You are now on my ignore list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by video313 /forum/post/15952084

I am telling you in English.

All the steaming about refresh rate numbers has zero value for practical users.

We are practical users.

This is what practical users have (a standard set to get the best of 5020):

BD player

Two remotes

Blu-ray movies
Nothing else matters.

With BD player remote we set BD player to 24p On or Off.

With 5020 remote we chose from PureCinema Off>Standard>Smooth>Advance.

What for do we switch BD-player from 24p Off to On?

What for do we switch PureCinema modes Off/Standard/Smooth/Advance?

There is no room for theory here.

Our eyes and two remotes.

One click on 24p On.

Then four clicks on PureCinema.

Standard and Advance are helpful.

Off and Smooth are useless.

Works equally in all languages.

#9,646 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/15951604

I And for the record you cannot tell the refresh rate of a display with a camera. You can only attempt to sync the camera with the pulldown....which works sometimes and sometimes does not.

I completely agree that a camcorder cannot be used to determine the refresh rate of a display.. But, unless I am missing something ( and I may very well be ), it can be used to determine what the refresh rate isn't...

It seems to me that the captured footage will always show flicker on video recorded/viewed off a display which is, refreshing at a rate higher than the capture rate, and is not divisible by the capture rate.

But, I am by no means an expert on any of this, and would love to find a mode on the non-elites that allowed for modified grayscale and performed 3:3 pulldown.

#9,647 ·
Okay....let me throw out a few disclaimers here before I get stomped for asking....but I've been reading these threads like crazy. I'm at the point that I think I will try to buy a Home Theater for Dummies book for some way to get my brain (stuck on pause) to really understand this stuff. But I could really use some straight talk now....as I'm on the verge of watching my new Kuro. First a few disclaimers...

Confession/Disclaimer #1 -

I really don't understand squat when it comes to pull down, fps, refresh rates, etc, etc.

Confession/Disclaimer #2 -

I'm not sure I believe it's necessary for me to learn these things to enjoy my new set-up....if others will translate this stuff into a language I can understand.

I promise you...if I can understand it...anyone can! I'm tempted to start a new Kuro NE 9G thread for people who just need to know what the heck to do.

My set-up:

TV - PDP6020FD

AVR - Marantz sr7002

Sony PS3

Dish Network VIP722 HD Satellite Receiver.

Can anyone be kind and tell me in simple terms...

What settings should I have when I watch:

1. Satellite and OTA channels. (Dish reportedly has some VOD channels that are delivered at 1080p/24fps)

2. Bluray's

3. PS3 Games

I hate feeling so ignorant but I'm pretty much discouraged after reading hundreds of posts. I think I forget faster than I learn!

Specifically, I'm not so interested in color, contrast, etc...but more interested in what mode....like Movie, Sport, etc...and what Pure Cinema Modes for each application.

I am almost at the end of running the break in images using DNice's settings....and plan to go to his "reference" settings afterwards. Beyond this...I'm kind of confused! Can someone make it simple? Something I can put on an index card and laminate!

Thanks!

PS. I promise I'll never film my tv with a camcorder!

#9,650 ·
I've never returned an item through Amazon, and I am really considering returning my 5020 due to the buzz, so how would I go about doing this. (it is now at a different address than what they delivered it to, and I would rather not haul it back to my office where the delivered it, so can I have them pick it up at my house instead?)

#9,651 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/15952159

Case and point. I'm done attempting to discuss items that are far beyond your intelligence level.

You are now on my ignore list.

Glad you have finally decided to join me. This brainless twit has been the one and only member of my Ignore Club for some weeks. I predict that your having done so will improve your digestion and your mental health.

#9,652 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-phYre /forum/post/15949877

I can use these settings for proper break-in and occasional viewing.

No. The settings you listed are for viewing, not for D-Nice's break-in.

Quote:
I only view 1-2 hours a day right now anyways... I am also aware of all other things to avoid (stagnant images, ect).

According to D-Nice, to get any advantage from his break-in settings, they should be used exclusively with the break-in DVD for the first 150 hours.

In your case, there isn't much advantage in using D-Nice's break-in settings. What you want to do is avoid black bars and fixed images for the first 150 to 200 hours while you use the viewing settings of your choice.

#9,653 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/15952691

I've never returned an item through Amazon, and I am really considering returning my 5020 due to the buzz, so how would I go about doing this.

Contacting Amazon's customer service might be a good place to start.

You will need authorization from them as a first step.

#9,654 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/15952807

Glad you have finally decided to join me. This brainless twit has been the one and only member of my Ignore Club for some weeks. I predict that your having done so will improve your digestion and your mental health.

He is also the only person on my ignore list. He needs to funnel his determination and persistence into something positive.

#9,655 ·
Wow, lots of bickeringon here...lol. No biggie because I ran my break in period and I just got my 5020 calibrated a few ours ago by Clearly Resolved and let me tell you wow, what a nice pic. I am so looking forward to watching some high quality HD content oh yeah...
This TV just keeps getting better every day

#9,656 ·
Just had my 5020 calibrated by D-Nice yesterday. Difference was so obvious even my wife noticed. So, if you get the opportunuty to have D-Nice calibrate you set, it is well worth it. Great person and great experience. He explains everything to you as he goes.

Here are my results.

Attachment 135405

Attachment 135406

Pioneer PDP-5020FD Post Calibration Forum Report (Movie).pdf 196.5283203125k . file

Pioneer PDP-5020FD Pre Calibration Forum Report (Movie).pdf 204.60546875k . file

Attachments

#9,658 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorScott /forum/post/15953657

Just had my 5020 calibrated by D-Nice yesterday.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

#9,659 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural /forum/post/15953730

I have my elite running through my Yamaha RX-V1800 so all this time I haven't been getting my 24p converted to 72p when in advanced/off!?

You may be confussed. Nothing is being input into your RX-V1800 at 72 Hz. The 3:3 pull down from 24 Hz to 72 Hz takes place in your Dispay.

D-Nice was referring to a computer signal at 75 Hz.

#9,660 ·
Bump!

My set-up:

TV - PDP6020FD

AVR - Marantz sr7002

Sony PS3

Dish Network VIP722 HD Satellite Receiver. [/b]

Can anyone be kind and tell me in simple terms...

What settings should I have when I watch:

1. Satellite and OTA channels. (Dish reportedly has some VOD channels that are delivered at 1080p/24fps)

2. Bluray's

3. PS3 Games

I hate feeling so ignorant but I'm pretty much discouraged after reading hundreds of posts. I think I forget faster than I learn!

Specifically, I'm not so interested in color, contrast, etc...but more interested in what mode....like Movie, Sport, etc...and what Pure Cinema Modes for each application.

I am almost at the end of running the break in images using DNice's settings....and plan to go to his "reference" settings afterwards. Beyond this...I'm kind of confused! Can someone make it simple? Something I can put on an index card and laminate!

Anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.