Last updated: 04.03.10

A Few Items New or Prospective Owners may want to Know

REVIEWSDownloads:

General information:
Universal Remotes & RS232 codes:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Code:
Code:
- [URL='http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Search?keywords=ir+and+hex+codes+sc-0'][B]IR and Hex codes[/B][/URL] 
-Pronto (ccf format) files and "Universal" (mxf) files  [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16013382#post16013382']here[/URL] 
-RS232C Protocols for Custom installations [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-07%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-07[/URL]  and  [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-05%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-05[/URL] 
-Crestron , Crestron's Integrated Partner Module  [URL='http://www.crestron.com/tools_and_resources/programming_and_integration_resources/integrated_partner_modules/default.asp?module_id=658&devicetype_id=&manufacturer_id=134']Click Here[/URL] 
-Harmony codes: available as of 10/30/08 (ccotenj)
- [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16131010#post16131010']Harmony Remote Tips[/URL]
- Service Codes

========================================================

Tips/Examples from Members:

========================================================

Networking and Streaming:
-Apple and OS/X networking and Music Streaming ccotenj
-Internet radio Impression1 Impression2
-Network and media server connections ( a_ok2me )
Tips:
-To access HMG MENUS with the remote, be sure to switch from "receiver" to "source"
- Cooling/Ventilation
-SC-LX81 (SC-07) autopsy and here
-Removing stickers without Scratching? Method1 Method2 Method3
-Dimmer setting location: bottom portion of the remote, under the sliding door (number 3 button)
- PURE Direct Observations by MacFan
Subwoofers/Speakers
-Quickstart Speaker setup - MacFan
- Bossobass guide to subwoofers
-General Subwoofer settings (Macfan424) and here
-How do I hook up my Definitive Mythos to the SC/05/07/09? MacFan424
- Dual Subs Graphicguy and MacFan424
LFE/MCACC
-Proper Microphone position for calibration Ray
-LFE and crossover settings MacFan and secrets by Colin Miller & Brian Florian Thanks MacFan
-Why are my MCACC settings 6db lower from my last Pioneer? ss9001
-X-Curve and room sample by eldithomaso
- Connecting your PC to MCACC
- MCACC calibration MacFan
- MCACC and background noise by ss9001
General Connections:
-How to set Video HDMI with Digital (Optical/Coax) Audio Click here
-PS3 connection to Your new SC-05/07 AUDIO/VIDEO
- working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3 by mhdiab
-Zone 2 and 3 configuration example by Geoff and alerion
-Adding the ability to watch TV from one source and Audio from another? method1 (SC-05/07) method2 (SC-07)
-HMG and an external HD JS1000
Utilities
-DIY 12VDC Trigger for switching by mrgribbles and circuit diagrams by decoupe
-Member recommended CD to FLAC converters EAC winamp dBpower
-Rippng DTS with Windows - Info_Dan
- How much Power do you actually use? SPL Calculator Thanks MacFan
- Resetting your AVR/Service Mode Codes
- HMG Update
Potential problems:
-Problems with DD+ with the Toshiba XA2 and Samsung HD-DVD. Workarounds from FilmMixer and ss9001
-Rel Subwoofers and SC-05/07/09 Precautions
- Flashing MCACC LED and LED Issues
-Fios Cable Box shows "green screen of death" -- Try HDMI Input 3
added January-March 2010

MCACC background noise ss9001

SPL Calculator

SC-07 with Oppo 83 review Shane55 member's review (page 3)

working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3

FW HMG updates from users

Raymond G review
My first impression - original first post

See less See more
#6,941 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dias /forum/post/16196224

This sounds like a great idea. Can you give me a bit more info please?

Thanks,

Chris

If you're not inclined to do it yourself I have seen power strips that have this function built in but IIRC they are very pricey, circa $100 or so.

I had the materials I needed already but here's what you would need from Radio Shack:

1) 275-248 12V Relay 10amp AC load

* Coil rating of 12VDC

* 30mA

* 400 ohms

* Body size of 9/16x5/32x5/8"

The 30mA coil is important as the 12v triggers combined only source 50mA. The 10A is also important if you are going to hook up some loads. I use mine for my subs and some back lighting.

2) 274-251 1/8" Mono panel mount jack

Note: This is an open connector. You may want to use an insulated type, especially if your power strip is a metal case as this would short.

3) 1/8" male to male mono cable to connect to the 12v trigger jacks.

4) A power strip with some room inside to fit in the relay and the plug connector.

Open up the power strip and find a good place to fit in the relay and a place to put the jack. Drill a hole to accept the jack.

Cut or desolder the incoming AC black wire ahead of the 120v receptacles. Connect (I recommend soldering) one side of the black wire to the NO pin on the relay. Connect the other side of the black wire (going out to the receptacles) to the common pin on the relay. That's it for the AC line.

Solder a wire from the 1/8" jack ground connector (this is the one that contacts the side of the plug) to one of the coil pins on the relay. If the coil pins are polarized, connect to the "-". Do the same with the tip connector to the other coil pin, this is the +12v incoming. Most DC relays aren't polarized. That's it for the DC.

I super glued the relay to the power strip case. Close it up. Plug in the AC and run like hell. If nothing happens good. The AC receptacles should be off. Connect a 12v trigger with the 1/8" cable on the back of the AVR to the connector you installed on the power strip. Go into the Pio setup menu and select an input, on the second page should be your 12v trigger assignments set it to "MAIN". The 120v receptacles should be on when you exit setup. That's it. $10 and a 1/2 hour.

Note: If you get a 12v trigger error on your display you have a short in the 12v wiring or the relay coil is pulling more than 50mA. After you fix it, you must press standby on & off to reset the circuit protection inside the AVR.

Another note: My technical writing skills or lack thereof not withstanding if the above doesn't make any sense or you can't figure this out yourself you're better off not doing it. It's easy to do and it's also easy to screw up for the un-electrical inclined. Have someone do it for you or buy the ready to go power strip.

TBS, good luck. Mine works great and since the built in 120v switched outlets in AVRs typically only carry an amp or less this adds more functionality.

#6,943 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here for awhile and finally pulled the trigger on a 05 last monday. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW. I am in tweaker heaven. Yesterday I had a chance to really start tuning my system and the MCACC setup was spot on except for the sub. It set the distance at 11-6 when it is at 9-2 from the setup mic. Overall the sound quality is outstanding and the only thing left for me to do is nail down the lows to my liking.

My first impression of the 05 coming out of the box was the power cord size being very small as other people have noted. I picked up the BDP51 at the same time and, yes, It,s cord is like a fire hose.

I opened it up and ran +10 for a half an hour and checked for heat in the unit and power cord. Pio picked an appropriate name when calling these ICE amps. Not overly hot at all and the power cord was at room temp. So it is safe to say the Pio engineers matched the power cord to the current drawn by this amp. I am amazed at how this unit can produce so much power with so little current.

I had decided on a SC receiver in Jan. and this thread confirmed my choice. So a big thanks to everyone posting here and CHP_VR for updating this thread as it has evolved. All my questions concerning setup and operation have been answered here.

Sticker and fingerprint photos coming soon

Thanks again and happy to be a member of the ICE club.

Steve

#6,944 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick /forum/post/16196642

anyone using a pioneer elite 59avi with analogue outs for sacd and dvd audio? i am coming from a 56txi and i find the sound very different. i want to make sure i dont need to change some settings in the 59 or the sc05 now that i am using analogue.

Check your bass boost settings on the Pio 59AVi. You may need to apply the +10 in the analog output/imput on either the 59 or the 07. The 59 only goes to +6 and that's default for all channels with the audio setting in the "fixed" postion.

Do you notice a bass loss with the 59Avi set to "fixed" in the audio setup?

If so on the 07 go to page 63/64 and make the 10db + change in other setup.

That's all you can do. I believe the SC-07 does BM over it's analogs but it's not clear about it.

#6,945 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveoreno /forum/post/16202098

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here for awhile and finally pulled the trigger on a 05 last monday. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW. I am in tweaker heaven. Yesterday I had a chance to really start tuning my system and the MCACC setup was spot on except for the sub. It set the distance at 11-6 when it is at 9-2 from the setup mic. Overall the sound quality is outstanding and the only thing left for me to do is nail down the lows to my liking.

My first impression of the 05 coming out of the box was the power cord size being very small as other people have noted. I picked up the BDP51 at the same time and, yes, It,s cord is like a fire hose.

I opened it up and ran +10 for a half an hour and checked for heat in the unit and power cord. Pio picked an appropriate name when calling these ICE amps. Not overly hot at all and the power cord was at room temp. So it is safe to say the Pio engineers matched the power cord to the current drawn by this amp. I am amazed at how this unit can produce so much power with so little current.

I had decided on a SC receiver in Jan. and this thread confirmed my choice. So a big thanks to everyone posting here and CHP_VR for updating this thread as it has evolved. All my questions concerning setup and operation have been answered here.

Sticker and fingerprint photos coming soon

Thanks again and happy to be a member of the ICE club.

Steve

I just set up a new SC-07 and I, too, noticed that my subs (which are both at 9' from the LP) showed up as 11' 3" and 11' 5". I adjusted this in the manual sp setup menu, and I boosted the sub level by 3.0db and I am much happier now. It still has some tweaking to go as my mid-bass seems weak now that I have upped the sub, probably a parametric EQ tweak will solve it.

Good luck!

#6,946 ·
I have had my SC-07 for a little while now, and I continue to be very dissapointed with its performance with Dolby TrueHD material. It sounds lifeless, lacking directionality and without punch. DTS Master Audio on the other hand sounds amazing.

I am using it with a Panasonic BD30 BluRay player, and have tried tweaking all the various settings, including the eq, but to no avail. The display shows DD True HD on the display, so it is getting the right signal.

Has anyone else had this experience. Any ideas ?

#6,947 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsars88 /forum/post/16203513

I have had my SC-07 for a little while now, and I continue to be very dissapointed with its performance with Dolby TrueHD material. It sounds lifeless, lacking directionality and without punch. DTS Master Audio on the other hand sounds amazing.

I am using it with a Panasonic BD30 BluRay player, and have tried tweaking all the various settings, including the eq, but to no avail. The display shows DD True HD on the display, so it is getting the right signal.

Try THX Ultra2 Cin. To me, it blows past Dolby TrueHD and a bit better than DTS Master.

#6,948 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudigerS /forum/post/16203053

I just set up a new SC-07 and I, too, noticed that my subs (which are both at 9' from the LP) showed up as 11' 3" and 11' 5". I adjusted this in the manual sp setup menu, and I boosted the sub level by 3.0db and I am much happier now. It still has some tweaking to go as my mid-bass seems weak now that I have upped the sub, probably a parametric EQ tweak will solve it.

Good luck!

Remember that with Audessy and MCACC and other caibration systems you are NOT supposed to get accurate sub distance readings. The calibration system accounts for time delay in bass waves and standing wave issues that are not present with other frequencies. I think it's ok to tweek levels to your taste but if you rely upon auto calibration for distance settings - I would not mess with the distance settings for subs.

#6,949 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsars88 /forum/post/16203513

Do you have DRC (dynamic range compression) on? What discs are you using for reference? Some turn it on automatically.

How about THX loudness - on or off. Try both ways.

#6,950 ·
I have a Toshiba X-A2 hddvd player hooked up to my Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver bitstreaming high res audio to the receiver where the decoding of the hi res audio is done in the receiver. For some reason hi audio will drop out for a second and then pick back up immediately about five minutes after I start a movie. It does this continually during the film roughly every 5 minutes and is quite annoying. It never happens in the same place twice so it is not the discs. Anyone else experiencing this? The X-A2 did not do this when hooked up to my Onkyo 805.

#6,954 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchang /forum/post/14757675

This is a pretty specific issue but at least 2 other people on these boards have had it so I think it is worth posting in the Pioneer thread.

Namely, when Toshiba HD-DVD players (I have an XA2) are playing HD-DVDs and outputting Dolby Digital Plus via Bitstream to a PIONEER Receiver . . . there is audio skipping. It usually happen every few minutes or so.

To be very specific, it does NOT happen with any lossless codec. For instance True HD is fine. Furthermore, it doesn't happen even with DTS, etc. It ONLY happens with Dolby Digital Plus. Also, it does not happen to every disc. For sure it happens with King Kong, Transformers, Stardust, Tomb Raider.

I work around this by going into the Toshiba menu and setting the Digital Audio Out to PCM.

This does not happen with Blu-ray players outputting Dolby Digital nor does it happen when I play the same HD-DVDs on my Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on.

So . . . anyone have experience with this and have thoughts on this?

Granted when you finally get down to it, there aren't too many discs affected since many HD-DVD movies have True HD encoded on them and this does not affect SD-DVDs.

Still I figure many on this thread have owned many, many Pioneer AVRs in the past and I'm betting more than a few of us got an HD-DVD player too so wondering if I am alone on this?

Once again, at least 2 other people have had this problem with essentially identical setups and I'm just wondering what exactly is the technical reason for the handshake problem between Toshiba HD-DVD players and Pioneer receivers when it comes to bitstreaming Dolby Digital Plus codecs?

Thanks and hope that wasn't too confusing.

Dennis

This is the problem I am talking about any fixes from Pioneer?

#6,955 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD /forum/post/16204697

This is the problem I am talking about any fixes from Pioneer?

After searching for this problem a few days ago,i wound up on a forum,that i now can't remember,but they had it narrowed down to dd+ on Universal HD dvd's,but if you have the same thing going on with transformers than maybe it is not limited to Universal

#6,956 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT3 /forum/post/16204786

After searching for this problem a few days ago,i wound up on a forum,that i now can't remember,but they had it narrowed down to dd+ on Universal HD dvd's,but if you have the same thing going on with transformers than maybe it is not limited to Universal

I watched Black Snake Moan last night and it did it every 5 minutes. That is a Paramount title. It does it on Warners as well.

#6,957 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/16202954

Check your bass boost settings on the Pio 59AVi. You may need to apply the +10 in the analog output/imput on either the 59 or the 07. The 59 only goes to +6 and that's default for all channels with the audio setting in the "fixed" postion.

Do you notice a bass loss with the 59Avi set to "fixed" in the audio setup?

If so on the 07 go to page 63/64 and make the 10db + change in other setup.

That's all you can do. I believe the SC-07 does BM over it's analogs but it's not clear about it.

I did apply the +10 for sub and lows are good. it just seems as i remember more highs and certain notes with my 56txi that i am not hearing with the sco5. i am very familiar with my sacds DSOTM and brothers in arms and i know the sound is different, Depeche mode violator on the other hand, is freakin amazing at a -5 volume