Last updated: 04.03.10

A Few Items New or Prospective Owners may want to Know

REVIEWSDownloads:

General information:
Universal Remotes & RS232 codes:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Code:
Code:
- [URL='http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Search?keywords=ir+and+hex+codes+sc-0'][B]IR and Hex codes[/B][/URL] 
-Pronto (ccf format) files and "Universal" (mxf) files  [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16013382#post16013382']here[/URL] 
-RS232C Protocols for Custom installations [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-07%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-07[/URL]  and  [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-05%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-05[/URL] 
-Crestron , Crestron's Integrated Partner Module  [URL='http://www.crestron.com/tools_and_resources/programming_and_integration_resources/integrated_partner_modules/default.asp?module_id=658&devicetype_id=&manufacturer_id=134']Click Here[/URL] 
-Harmony codes: available as of 10/30/08 (ccotenj)
- [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16131010#post16131010']Harmony Remote Tips[/URL]
- Service Codes

========================================================

Tips/Examples from Members:

========================================================

Networking and Streaming:
-Apple and OS/X networking and Music Streaming ccotenj
-Internet radio Impression1 Impression2
-Network and media server connections ( a_ok2me )
Tips:
-To access HMG MENUS with the remote, be sure to switch from "receiver" to "source"
- Cooling/Ventilation
-SC-LX81 (SC-07) autopsy and here
-Removing stickers without Scratching? Method1 Method2 Method3
-Dimmer setting location: bottom portion of the remote, under the sliding door (number 3 button)
- PURE Direct Observations by MacFan
Subwoofers/Speakers
-Quickstart Speaker setup - MacFan
- Bossobass guide to subwoofers
-General Subwoofer settings (Macfan424) and here
-How do I hook up my Definitive Mythos to the SC/05/07/09? MacFan424
- Dual Subs Graphicguy and MacFan424
LFE/MCACC
-Proper Microphone position for calibration Ray
-LFE and crossover settings MacFan and secrets by Colin Miller & Brian Florian Thanks MacFan
-Why are my MCACC settings 6db lower from my last Pioneer? ss9001
-X-Curve and room sample by eldithomaso
- Connecting your PC to MCACC
- MCACC calibration MacFan
- MCACC and background noise by ss9001
General Connections:
-How to set Video HDMI with Digital (Optical/Coax) Audio Click here
-PS3 connection to Your new SC-05/07 AUDIO/VIDEO
- working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3 by mhdiab
-Zone 2 and 3 configuration example by Geoff and alerion
-Adding the ability to watch TV from one source and Audio from another? method1 (SC-05/07) method2 (SC-07)
-HMG and an external HD JS1000
Utilities
-DIY 12VDC Trigger for switching by mrgribbles and circuit diagrams by decoupe
-Member recommended CD to FLAC converters EAC winamp dBpower
-Rippng DTS with Windows - Info_Dan
- How much Power do you actually use? SPL Calculator Thanks MacFan
- Resetting your AVR/Service Mode Codes
- HMG Update
Potential problems:
-Problems with DD+ with the Toshiba XA2 and Samsung HD-DVD. Workarounds from FilmMixer and ss9001
-Rel Subwoofers and SC-05/07/09 Precautions
- Flashing MCACC LED and LED Issues
-Fios Cable Box shows "green screen of death" -- Try HDMI Input 3
added January-March 2010

MCACC background noise ss9001

SPL Calculator

SC-07 with Oppo 83 review Shane55 member's review (page 3)

working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3

FW HMG updates from users

Raymond G review
My first impression - original first post

See less See more
#7,162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/16234505

Sorry, I just arrived...haven't had the receiver but for a few weeks. I should've more thoroughly examined this 120-page thread. It's a bit disappointing that a receiver at least half the MRSP can get it right (Onkyo 605) but Pioneer's own "Elite" brand is flawed.

Then you may want to return in now since it's only a few weeks old and flawed by your standards. You obiously won't be happy with it, and Pioneer probably won't "unflaw" it for DD+ for HD-DVD format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/16234353

We've all tried to give a workaround for the issue for those affected... it's a little inconvenient for some, and unfortunate.. but haven't we beaten this horse enough?

+1 By experts in the industry and advanced users like ss9001

You may want to check the AVforum here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/hd-dv...r-hd-dvds.html

a few quotes:

Quote:
I did some further testing today with another film on HD-DVD (Chronicles of Riddick) & I think the problem is just with the English Language DD+ soundtrack as the Spanish & French Language DD+ soundtracks bitstreamed fine on that particular movie with no dropouts to the LX81!
Quote:
The fact that my Warner HD-DVDs play ok with their DD+ soundtracks seemed stange. I got info from an AVSForums board member who highlighted the fact that I wasn't aware of related to Warner HD DVD DD+ soundtracks. Apparently most of the Warner HD-DVD DD+ soundtracks are encoded at 640kbits (I think) whereas the Universal / Paramount are 1.5Mbps (I think). Just mentioning what was fed back to me - I don't know this for certain (& can't test it).

#7,163 ·
While I did get it from an authorized dealer, they won't accept returns so I'll just have to tolerate it.

I still don't like the dishonesty exhibited by the rep with whom I spoke...especially since this receiver's been out since August of last year. I can't be the first one to have reported this. I don't think expecting it to work as advertised is asking for too much.

#7,164 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT3
king kong is another one,and i had no prob with my onk 805
Now I KNOW we watched King Kong with the 09 and DD+ and again no problems
If I get time, I'll try to re-confirm which processors the 09 & 07/05 uses. It's been a long time since I looked all that stuff up.

Even tho there's strong evidence that Pioneer implementation has something to do with the problem, the posts here keep confirming that Toshiba's FW 4.0 is a big factor.

Hate to keep repeating myself
......is rolling back to FW 2.7 an option? 2.5 introduced stutter with 1080p/24, fixed with 2.7. 2.8 caused problems with AVC codec, wasn't fixed until 4.0. So....2.7 seems to be the best option to me

If you folks can find it with the modded header that fakes the player that it is is a later version than 4.0 - you most likely have a fix with or without Pioneer's help.

I had downloaded & saved the thread page referring to how to mod the FW with a hex editor but don't have the links to the FW. I have all Toshiba's FW iso files for the XA2, A35 & XA1 since I've owned all 3. I bought a demo A35 solely as a backup in case the XA2 dies. I can send the FW to any of you if needed. I had downloaded a freebie hex code editor and checked out the code in case I had to do this, but haven't actually done it.

I looked in the HD-DVD thread, but the specific thread discussing how to revert is not there anymore. You probably can find many references within the player FW discussion threads.

Attached is my downloaded page on how to do it.

ss9001

You can go back to older Firmwares - AVS Forum.zip 232.7880859375k . file

Attachments

#7,165 ·
I don't either, vinnie97, and if your rep was dishonest about it, I'm sure you can make a case to have him take it back. I know I would be upset if I specifically asked about something and was lied to about it, especially if I based my purchase on what he told me. (and who knows, if you did that, Pioneer might even do something about it, knowing they lost money on a sale because of that issue).

#7,167 ·
Thanks, ss9001

#7,168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR /forum/post/16234719

I don't either, vinnie97, and if your rep was dishonest about it, I'm sure you can make a case to have him take it back. I know I would be upset if I specifically asked about something and was lied to about it, especially if I based my purchase on what he told me. (and who knows, if you did that, Pioneer might even do something about it, knowing they lost money on a sale because of that issue).

I actually meant the customer service rep at Pioneer...I didn't even think of bringing up this issue with the authorized reseller (because I didn't realize how widespread it was). They weren't misleading, there just wasn't communication on this specific issue. Like I said before, I should've analyzed this thread more before taking the plunge.

#7,169 ·
Just really sorry if this issue takes enjoyment away from you, vinnie97.

Hopefully the workaround FilmMixer suggested or the firmware rollback ss9001 related can help.

It really is one heck of an excellent reciever. Best of fortune

#7,171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/16234669

I don't think expecting it to work as advertised is asking for too much.

I completely agree with you on that. I couldn't get my older HDMI 1.0 Pioneer 59AVI player to handshake with my new Kuro going thru the 09, but it works perfectly directly to the Kuro. Called Pioneer, they had no answer other than "cable run maybe too long" with that player going thru the 09, although every other device I have works just fine through the 09. Opened a case 3 weeks ago, and that's the last I heard from them.

Would it be nice if they found me a solution.....you bet!

Do I expect them to spend a lot of time researching a problem with a 6 yr old obsoleted player, even if it's theirs.....no.

Did I have a workaround.....yes. Ran a 2nd long cable run to the plasma just for the player. Problem solved.

They don't & can't have answers to all compatibility problems. I'm not defending them, but their engineers have to fix problems that have the highest priority. Somehow, I don't think one of founding members of the Blu-ray Association is going to put a problem with HD-DVD players on their highest to-do list. The good news is there are workarounds if you want to enjoy your HD-DVD's.

ss9001

#7,172 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/16234868

They don't & can't have answers to all compatibility problems. I'm not defending them, but their engineers have to fix problems that have the highest priority. Somehow, I don't think one of founding members of the Blu-ray Association is going to put a problem with HD-DVD players on their highest to-do list. The good news is there are workarounds if you want to enjoy your HD-DVD's.

ss9001

Yea, I realize that but just leave the DD+ spiel out of the specifications next time if there's no real intent on ensuring minimal compatibility. This is happening with Toshiba, Samsung and likely LG players.

#7,173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/16234715

If I get time, I'll try to re-confirm which processors the 09 & 07/05 uses. It's been a long time since I looked all that stuff up.

Even tho there's strong evidence that Pioneer implementation has something to do with the problem, the posts here keep confirming that Toshiba's FW 4.0 is a big factor.

......is rolling back to FW 2.7 an option? 2.5 introduced stutter with 1080p/24, fixed with 2.7. 2.8 caused problems with AVC codec, wasn't fixed until 4.0. So....2.7 seems to be the best option to me

If you folks can find it with the modded header that fakes the player that it is is a later version than 4.0 - you most likely have a fix with or without Pioneer's help.

I had downloaded & saved the thread page referring to how to mod the FW with a hex editor but don't have the links to the FW. I have all Toshiba's FW iso files for the XA2, A35 & XA1 since I've owned all 3. I bought a demo A35 solely as a backup in case the XA2 dies. I can send the FW to any of you if needed. I had downloaded a freebie hex code editor and checked out the code in case I had to do this, but haven't actually done it.

I looked in the HD-DVD thread, but the specific thread discussing how to revert is not there anymore. You probably can find many references within the player FW discussion threads.

ss9001

Oye!!!!!! You, FilmMixer and CHP are going to make me take a new SC-09 out of the box to confirm this and if that happens it's going to find a place in one of my own personal systems. Stop it I'm saving for a new projector.

#7,174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR /forum/post/16232660

Congratulations, b_scott

Your plan certainly sounds the best. 20" should be enough, but that would be an awefully tight squeeze, allowing only about 1 3/4inch for your cables (leaving about 1/8 inch for the front door clearance).. I sawed the back of mine for my SC-07 so I could leave a top back and bottom back panel.

However way you manage it, it'll be worth it!

Just be sure you have adequate ventilation for the fan (it's on the left side, facing the front)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15198973

Let us know what you think when Amazon delivers your new baby!

And welcome to the ICE Club!

Belated $.02 (long thread today) in support of CHP_VR:

20" will definitely work.

My cabinet is 20 1/2" inside front-back. There is 3/4" knob clearance in front (enough for small tassels) and room in rear for heavy speaker wire and banana plugs, heavy component cable, plus the usual suspects. Cozy though.

Hopefully back comes off for wiring and is vented. Otherwise removing a horizontal or vertical center section of back would be a good idea.

#7,175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/16234865

Thanks...again, no Toshiba here so that firmware rollback method is useless to me.
But that doesn't mean I can't set the player to do all the decoding for the DD+ titles and hope Pioneer doesn't leave us out to dry.

Sorry, if I misunderstood, but one of your posts mentioned an XA2 didn't it?

If another player like a Samsung is also giving you a problem, that's another issue. I came in late on this discussion, so sorry if I didn't pick up which players were the issue.

No matter, it's incumbent on the player manufacturer to also share in fixing compatibility problems. If you doubt that, read thru the thousands of posts in the Pioneer 51/05 thread about problems, need for fixes, etc. from its introduction to the present.

So I hope you are also talking to the player mfg, if other than Toshiba, about the problem

Just so that both sides realize the issue & can work on the fix. From the onset of both HD formats, the burden was more on the player mfgs than the receiver companies to resolve these things. They are the ones that took the most heat and had to release the FW updates not the receiver mfgs.

ss9001

#7,177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/16234715

ss9001

check post 7153,i posted about the firmware roll back thing

#7,178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/16234928

Sorry, if I misunderstood, but one of your posts mentioned an XA2 didn't it?

If another player like a Samsung is also giving you a problem, that's another issue. I came in late on this discussion, so sorry if I didn't pick up which players were the issue.

No matter, it's incumbent on the player manufacturer to also share in fixing compatibility problems. If you doubt that, read thru the thousands of posts in the Pioneer 51/05 thread about problems, need for fixes, etc. from its introduction to the present.

So I hope you are also talking to the player mfg, if other than Toshiba, about the problem

Just so that both sides realize the issue & can work on the fix. From the onset of both HD formats, the burden was more on the player mfgs than the receiver companies to resolve these things. They are the ones that took the most heat and had to release the FW updates not the receiver mfgs.

ss9001

Sigh, I own no Toshiba hardware (other than the 360 add-on).
I've repeated that about 3 times now. I use the Samsung BD-UP5000 as my primary HDM player.

Also, the Onkyo SR605 that I had previously operated without issue, so they obviously did their homework as a CEM. The only commonality I'm seeing across these DD+ dropouts is Pioneer so the onus is on them to furnish a DSP update. I can mention it to Samsung but once I've explained to them that another receiver in my possession doesn't exhibit these problems, I'm sure they'll tell me to get lost (in so many words).

#7,179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray /forum/post/16234913

Oye!!!!!! You, FilmMixer and CHP are going to make me take a new SC-09 out of the box to confirm this and if that happens it's going to find a place in one of my own personal systems. Stop it I'm saving for a new projector.

aww, go on.... you know you wanna

#7,180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/16234974

Sigh, I own no Toshiba hardware (other than the 360 add-on).
I've repeated that about 3 times now. I use the Samsung BD-UP5000 as my primary HDM player.

Also, the Onkyo SR605 that I had previously operated without issue, so they obviously did their homework as a CEM. The only commonality I'm seeing across these DD+ dropouts is Pioneer so the onus is on them to furnish a DSP update. I can mention it to Samsung but once I've explained to them that another receiver in my possession doesn't exhibit these problems, I'm sure they'll tell me to get lost (in so many words).

maybe this was the first that pio rep heard of this if you reported a sam doing it,