Last updated: 04.03.10

A Few Items New or Prospective Owners may want to Know

REVIEWSDownloads:

General information:
Universal Remotes & RS232 codes:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Code:
Code:
- [URL='http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Search?keywords=ir+and+hex+codes+sc-0'][B]IR and Hex codes[/B][/URL] 
-Pronto (ccf format) files and "Universal" (mxf) files  [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16013382#post16013382']here[/URL] 
-RS232C Protocols for Custom installations [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-07%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-07[/URL]  and  [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-05%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-05[/URL] 
-Crestron , Crestron's Integrated Partner Module  [URL='http://www.crestron.com/tools_and_resources/programming_and_integration_resources/integrated_partner_modules/default.asp?module_id=658&devicetype_id=&manufacturer_id=134']Click Here[/URL] 
-Harmony codes: available as of 10/30/08 (ccotenj)
- [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16131010#post16131010']Harmony Remote Tips[/URL]
- Service Codes

========================================================

Tips/Examples from Members:

========================================================

Networking and Streaming:
-Apple and OS/X networking and Music Streaming ccotenj
-Internet radio Impression1 Impression2
-Network and media server connections ( a_ok2me )
Tips:
-To access HMG MENUS with the remote, be sure to switch from "receiver" to "source"
- Cooling/Ventilation
-SC-LX81 (SC-07) autopsy and here
-Removing stickers without Scratching? Method1 Method2 Method3
-Dimmer setting location: bottom portion of the remote, under the sliding door (number 3 button)
- PURE Direct Observations by MacFan
Subwoofers/Speakers
-Quickstart Speaker setup - MacFan
- Bossobass guide to subwoofers
-General Subwoofer settings (Macfan424) and here
-How do I hook up my Definitive Mythos to the SC/05/07/09? MacFan424
- Dual Subs Graphicguy and MacFan424
LFE/MCACC
-Proper Microphone position for calibration Ray
-LFE and crossover settings MacFan and secrets by Colin Miller & Brian Florian Thanks MacFan
-Why are my MCACC settings 6db lower from my last Pioneer? ss9001
-X-Curve and room sample by eldithomaso
- Connecting your PC to MCACC
- MCACC calibration MacFan
- MCACC and background noise by ss9001
General Connections:
-How to set Video HDMI with Digital (Optical/Coax) Audio Click here
-PS3 connection to Your new SC-05/07 AUDIO/VIDEO
- working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3 by mhdiab
-Zone 2 and 3 configuration example by Geoff and alerion
-Adding the ability to watch TV from one source and Audio from another? method1 (SC-05/07) method2 (SC-07)
-HMG and an external HD JS1000
Utilities
-DIY 12VDC Trigger for switching by mrgribbles and circuit diagrams by decoupe
-Member recommended CD to FLAC converters EAC winamp dBpower
-Rippng DTS with Windows - Info_Dan
- How much Power do you actually use? SPL Calculator Thanks MacFan
- Resetting your AVR/Service Mode Codes
- HMG Update
Potential problems:
-Problems with DD+ with the Toshiba XA2 and Samsung HD-DVD. Workarounds from FilmMixer and ss9001
-Rel Subwoofers and SC-05/07/09 Precautions
- Flashing MCACC LED and LED Issues
-Fios Cable Box shows "green screen of death" -- Try HDMI Input 3
added January-March 2010

MCACC background noise ss9001

SPL Calculator

SC-07 with Oppo 83 review Shane55 member's review (page 3)

working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3

FW HMG updates from users

Raymond G review
My first impression - original first post

See less See more
#7,341 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtownsend3843 /forum/post/16257951

So my problem started with the iPod touch, sw 2.2.1. Could navigate control it with the OSD but no sound.

Hi,

This is a well known problem with the ICE-Pios. We discussed that already in this thread and there is a fix for the Media Player (have to carry your amp to the service to get the update) which works with 2.2.0 but not!!! with 2.2.1.

With 3.x knocking on the door it's unclear what will be then ... so I wouldn't carry my amp around.

Cheers

AppleRedX

#7,342 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY /forum/post/16260460

So I cant have HDMI for video and OPTICAL for audio assigned in the setup for the same intput?

I did this and it works when there is NO video. When the HDMI video locks on the OPTICAL audio drops out. If I hit menu and the video goes to the GUI I hear the audio agian..any ideas? This is for my HTPC where my video card is HDMI and the audio is a pain out of HDMI so I use the optical out.

Use your signal sel button on the remote. HDMI is the default audio input if available. Signal select cycles you through HDMI -> digital -> analog. It won't affect your video feed.

#7,343 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy /forum/post/16255318

optivity....just curious....my TW SA8300 just started having issues. This past weekend, it was almost unwatchable...video freezing, pixelation, audio drop outs, etc.

Tech came out....installed a signal amplifier, changed the cabling (although I don't know what they changed it from/to). Deleted splitters. Still, same problems.

How did they diagnose your issues, if they were close to the same as I've experienced? All other sources are fine (PS3, BDP51, KURO, SC 05). Everything is connected via HDMI.

My belief is when the cable service is so poor that it makes TV viewing unwatchable, it is generally a provider issue (e.g. adding new channels to SDV).

It basically took years to get my TW cable woes resolved. My home was constructed during 1998, shortly before CATV migrated to digital cable, so unfortunately my house was wired with all RG-59 coax cable inside & out.

Minimally one should use all RG-6, for cable lengths of 200' or more RG-11, coax with digital cable TV. In terms of diagnosing your setup a good start is to remove all splits from your system and run a home-run from the ground block to the DVR to see what, if any, improvements this may produce.

One thing that works in my favor is I also have Verizon FiOS service for Internet/phone (no TV available yet) so I do not have to support both broadband and TV service on the same wire. Another thing you can try is to use a passive directional coupler and connect your primary TV (or DVR) to the tap port, which is used to pass the digital signal through with minimal loss.

#7,345 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck /forum/post/16260058

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Living room is about 15x20, which opens to the kitchen. Low 8' ceilings and all tile floors. Speakers are B&W 600 series up front and orb audio rear surrounds in a 5.1 setup with a SCS PC+ sub. Room is full of windows.

Thanks. Personally, I think either the 01 or the SC 05 would work great. Depends on how much emphasis you put on the ICEamps in the SC. They are very, very good. Feature-wise, they're both pretty close.

Either way, you'll have a very nice set up.

How's that for sitting on the fence?

#7,346 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbarar /forum/post/16260446

OK. I now have changed my cable configuration to the following: USB to Male DB9, Female/Female Belkin F3B207-10 (the approved cable detailed in the instructions). The result that I get now is "Timeout Occurred". Again following the instructions in the MCACC manual I have completed the following:

Try the following, in the order indicated.

1) In the setup screen of the receiver, check that Start the MCACC application on your PC is displayed.

(This message indicates that the receiver is ready to send data to the PC.)

2) Check that the RS-232C cable is properly connected. (Be sure to switch off all components and

disconnect their power cord from the power outlets before changing any cable connections.)

3) Exit any other active applications.

4) Check the COM port number. I am using COM8.

5) Check the type of RS-232C cable to use is correct (page 7).

6) Restart the Advanced MCACC application.

7) Restart your PC.

Additional thoughts?

Don

When the cable reaches the rs-232 port it has to present itself as a cross cable, or as CHP_VR points out a null modem cable. If you have an ohmmeter at hand check your 2&3 pins from each end of the cable assemblies, all the cables/connectors in the path. 2 on one end should be three on the other end. If so, you likely have the correct connection. 4&6 and 7&8 are also crossed.

In the recent firmware update frenzy on the Onkyo AVRs I can tell that some of the USB to RS-232 gizmos just plain didn't work well or not at all. If you search the Onkyo update threads there is a lot of chat on which ones worked and which ones didn't. One brand stood out as a top choice but I don't recollect it. I was successful with a cheapo Rat Shack unit.

If at all possible force your PC to use COM 1 for this exercise. Also from the Onk experience, you could tell the program to use any variety of com ports but only com1 worked. When I did the MCACC data transfer I didn't use the PC recommended port at all, I went straight to com1 and I had no communication problems.

I didn't see the recommended com port settings but IIRC, I used 9600-N-8-1.

If you're a bit PC savvy try running a terminal program to communicate with the AVR. From the same place you got the MCACC manual you can find the rs-232 commands that you can send via PC to completely control the AVR. Send it some commands and see if it responds.

To paraphrase another poster, "this is why I hate using rs-232 to talk to AVRs."

#7,347 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/16262262

My belief is when the cable service is so poor that it makes TV viewing unwatchable, it is generally a provider issue (e.g. adding new channels to SDV).

It basically took years to get my TW cable woes resolved. My home was constructed during 1998, shortly before CATV migrated to digital cable, so unfortunately my house was wired with all RG-59 coax cable inside & out.

Minimally one should use all RG-6, for cable lengths of 200' or more RG-11, coax with digital cable TV. In terms of diagnosing your setup a good start is to remove all splits from your system and run a home-run from the ground block to the DVR to see what, if any, improvements this may produce.

One thing that works in my favor is I also have Verizon FiOS service for Internet/phone (no TV available yet) so I do not have to support both broadband and TV service on the same wire. Another thing you can try is to use a passive directional coupler and connect your primary TV (or DVR) to the tap port, which is used to pass the digital signal through with minimal loss.

Thanks optivity. This has been a fairly recent issue. My home is about 15 years old (little older than yours). TW has re-run cable from the outside box to the house. Added an amplifier. I had to TELL them myself to pull a couple of splitters that weren't needed (amazing how some installers try to short cut their way to save 15 minutes of time for an install).

I do have my high speed internet through Road Runner. But, that's always been the case.

They're supposed to come out today. I'll give them credit, whenever I have an issue, they're right on top of it.

This, as opposed to DirectTV who always was about 3 weeks out when I had an issue. Plus, any service call was always accompanied by an attempt to charge me for it, or to sell me some sort of warranty service on their "stuff".

#7,348 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdog21 /forum/post/16260603

I just got the SC-07 and now I am finding that I am gonna have to send it in to get the firmware updated?! My ipod touch does not have any sound. Is there not a way to do the update myself through the Ethernet connection or the rs-232 port? I really don't want to go through all this with a brand new unit!

NO....no need to take your SC 07 in for FW. I think the problems with I-pod/i-touch/i-phones is something that cropped up with newer units (like I-touch). Bottom line, they don't work. There haven't been (and probably won't be) any FW upgrades to address the issue.

Not good news. But, sounds like at least the older Nanos work. Probably find one on e-bay fairly cheap.

#7,350 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIRATT /forum/post/16254374

I don't even know I could have scratched the front but I'm not gonna sweat it, the only person that will ever notice it is me. Trying to take a pic of the blue power light but my wifes camera sucks and wont show enough detail to capture what I'm talking about. If I dim the display, it's not that noticable.

Regardless,I'm not sending this thing back, I've grown rather attached to it in the last 24 hours.

My LED light is fine-I'd been studying the SC07 for weeks before the purchase and never really paid attention to the light. Pulled up every picture I could find and that's how they look! (white in the center) I even went to BB and looked at their floor model.(BB in Portland,OR has raised their price back up to MSRP) Anyhows, Im sure many people were losing sleep over my "light issue" and I just wanted to set them at ease. sorry

#7,351 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me /forum/post/16261123

The power conditioner with a battery is only going give you power for 4 to 10 mins after a blackout, enough time to safely shut things off. I bought my J15 several years ago when it was $532 (sale) vs $650 now. Although I like it, a power strip may be all you need. It really doesn't do anything for me over a power strip other than the battery backup. All that filtering you may have read is a myth. Also, it's 22" deep with all the cords in back so you need a deep cabinet and it takes up a spot in your cabinet. I like it...and top notch support vs other businesses. But, price is a consideration as you could use that money towards a damn good plasma, receiver, blu-ray, etc.

I have my plasma, blu-ray, HTPC, Harmony remote, modem, cable box and router connected to it. My sub is too far away so it's on it's own.

Aside from that, it's good bling for my cabinet.

Power consumption below, though it varies and can get up to 750W.

thanks so much for the info and time you put into it

#7,353 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbob /forum/post/16263324

Got my 07 last night and just want to say hello.

Bob

Hello.

#7,354 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3bby /forum/post/16260460

so i cant have hdmi for video and optical for audio assigned in the setup for the same intput?

I did this and it works when there is no video. When the hdmi video locks on the optical audio drops out. If i hit menu and the video goes to the gui i hear the audio agian..any ideas? This is for my htpc where my video card is hdmi and the audio is a pain out of hdmi so i use the optical out.

I think this is what you will need to do:

Go in to your input menu (page 92) to tell your sc-05/07 how you have it connected.

Do this with HDMI Control off.

First, you need to assign a function on the remote for your htpc

example: If you want to assign "dvd" for your htpc; from the "input setup menu", select "input ": Dvd , "digital in": Digital (coax 1-3) and "hdmi input": Hdmi (1-3)

page 92:

page 93: (default values)

from the above example, anytime you want to connect your htpc, you would hit dvd on the remote

when you try this, if you still don't hear sound, you may have to go to the "input signal" menu (page 38) by pressing sig sel on the remote and scroll between auto, hdmi, digital and analog - because it will sense hdmi and assume audio is also hdmi (you should only have to do this once).. Digital will be the one you want (see below)

page 38:

hope that works, let us know

#7,355 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbob /forum/post/16263324

Got my 07 last night and just want to say hello.

Bob

Hello fishinbob

And welcome to the forums! (and the ICE Club
)

#7,356 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIRATT /forum/post/16263201

My LED light is fine-I'd been studying the SC07 for weeks before the purchase and never really paid attention to the light. Pulled up every picture I could find and that's how they look! (white in the center) I even went to BB and looked at their floor model.(BB in Portland,OR has raised their price back up to MSRP) Anyhows, Im sure many people were losing sleep over my "light issue" and I just wanted to set them at ease. sorry

LOL, cool. Glad it's all taken care of, SKIRATT!

#7,357 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtownsend3843 /forum/post/16257951

Well I finally got my SC-05 hooked up and the audio and video with the Pioneer BDP-51FD. Works great, direct video mode 1080/24p and TrueHD Master audio. Very nice combo these 2.

So my problem started with the iPod touch, sw 2.2.1. Could navigate control it with the OSD but no sound. My media gateway sw version is: 3.7.30.7468. I then plugged in one of the kids nanos and all worked perfect. I have 2 car integration units that are digital and they have never had issues like this through all the sw upgrades from Apple.. I also tried 3 different iPod cables, same thing, no sound.

Can't seem to get through to Pioneer yet....

Any other folks have a way to fix this???

--Bill

Bill,

I had the same problem within the last 5 days: new SC-05, iPod Touch 2.2.1 recognized by the receiver but no sound at the speakers. I did get through to Pioneer 4/13/09 and was advised by a rep who seemed to have heard of this issue before that there is a firmware update by Pioneer to be released in a week or two (April 2009) that fixes the problem. The same issue has been raised on Apple forums with respect to Pioneer receivers. I talked to Apple and their rep could only shrug his shoulders, so to speak. The iPod was working fine; not Apple's problem. Perhaps there's no practical way Apple can upgrade its software and be sure there won't be a compatibility issue somewhere with some product, and neither can Pioneer or other hardware manufacturers. No doubt the Touch and the SC-05/07 were compatible when the Pioneer owner's manual was printed, probably with 1st gen Touches. I do wish my Pioneer dealer had been up to speed on this though. Anyway, Pioneer can supply the name of the place nearest you that can do the firmware update when it's available. Also, re cables for your iPod, you probably know that evidently the device will only work with cables manufactured with an authentication chip, cables that of course you can only get from Apple or authorized agents for rather a lot of money.

#7,358 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/16263197

what's everyone's opinion on the best sound mode for movies on the SC-05? I did MCAAC (or whatever) and I put it on THX Cinema last night. Sounded pretty good

Personal opinion only:

For Blu-Ray, Stream Direct gives me the most enjoyment.

DVDs: Depending on the movie, Pro Logic IIx MOVIE or lately,

THX Ultra2/Select2 CINEMA

#7,360 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/16263634

how do you switch it to "stream direct?" I hit the THX button and now I can't get out of THX mode.

\\

Page 38:

While listening to a source, press AUTO/DIRECT

(AUTO SURROUND/STREAM DIRECT) to select the

mode you want.

Check the digital format indicators in the front panel

display to see how the source is being processed.

AUTO SURROUND - See Auto playback on page 35.
DIRECT - Sources are heard according to the

settings made in the Surround Setup (speaker

setting, channel level, speaker distance, acoustic

calibration EQ, and X-curve), as well as with dual

mono, the input attenuator, and any sound delay and

hi-bit/hi-sampling (SC-05 only) settings. You will hear

sources according to the number of channels in the

signal.

PURE DIRECT - Analog and 2 channel PCM sources

are heard without any digital processing.1