Last updated: 04.03.10

A Few Items New or Prospective Owners may want to Know

REVIEWSDownloads:

General information:
Universal Remotes & RS232 codes:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Code:
Code:
- [URL='http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Search?keywords=ir+and+hex+codes+sc-0'][B]IR and Hex codes[/B][/URL] 
-Pronto (ccf format) files and "Universal" (mxf) files  [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16013382#post16013382']here[/URL] 
-RS232C Protocols for Custom installations [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-07%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-07[/URL]  and  [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-05%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-05[/URL] 
-Crestron , Crestron's Integrated Partner Module  [URL='http://www.crestron.com/tools_and_resources/programming_and_integration_resources/integrated_partner_modules/default.asp?module_id=658&devicetype_id=&manufacturer_id=134']Click Here[/URL] 
-Harmony codes: available as of 10/30/08 (ccotenj)
- [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16131010#post16131010']Harmony Remote Tips[/URL]
- Service Codes

========================================================

Tips/Examples from Members:

========================================================

Networking and Streaming:
-Apple and OS/X networking and Music Streaming ccotenj
-Internet radio Impression1 Impression2
-Network and media server connections ( a_ok2me )
Tips:
-To access HMG MENUS with the remote, be sure to switch from "receiver" to "source"
- Cooling/Ventilation
-SC-LX81 (SC-07) autopsy and here
-Removing stickers without Scratching? Method1 Method2 Method3
-Dimmer setting location: bottom portion of the remote, under the sliding door (number 3 button)
- PURE Direct Observations by MacFan
Subwoofers/Speakers
-Quickstart Speaker setup - MacFan
- Bossobass guide to subwoofers
-General Subwoofer settings (Macfan424) and here
-How do I hook up my Definitive Mythos to the SC/05/07/09? MacFan424
- Dual Subs Graphicguy and MacFan424
LFE/MCACC
-Proper Microphone position for calibration Ray
-LFE and crossover settings MacFan and secrets by Colin Miller & Brian Florian Thanks MacFan
-Why are my MCACC settings 6db lower from my last Pioneer? ss9001
-X-Curve and room sample by eldithomaso
- Connecting your PC to MCACC
- MCACC calibration MacFan
- MCACC and background noise by ss9001
General Connections:
-How to set Video HDMI with Digital (Optical/Coax) Audio Click here
-PS3 connection to Your new SC-05/07 AUDIO/VIDEO
- working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3 by mhdiab
-Zone 2 and 3 configuration example by Geoff and alerion
-Adding the ability to watch TV from one source and Audio from another? method1 (SC-05/07) method2 (SC-07)
-HMG and an external HD JS1000
Utilities
-DIY 12VDC Trigger for switching by mrgribbles and circuit diagrams by decoupe
-Member recommended CD to FLAC converters EAC winamp dBpower
-Rippng DTS with Windows - Info_Dan
- How much Power do you actually use? SPL Calculator Thanks MacFan
- Resetting your AVR/Service Mode Codes
- HMG Update
Potential problems:
-Problems with DD+ with the Toshiba XA2 and Samsung HD-DVD. Workarounds from FilmMixer and ss9001
-Rel Subwoofers and SC-05/07/09 Precautions
- Flashing MCACC LED and LED Issues
-Fios Cable Box shows "green screen of death" -- Try HDMI Input 3
added January-March 2010

MCACC background noise ss9001

SPL Calculator

SC-07 with Oppo 83 review Shane55 member's review (page 3)

working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3

FW HMG updates from users

Raymond G review
My first impression - original first post

See less See more
#9,521 ·
Can we operate Cable Box and TV without SC turn on because my tolders don't need to have SC to be on. Currently a HDMI Out from Cable Box to HDMI1 IN SC and then HDMI Out from SC to HDMI IN TV. I was thinking to run another S-Video, composit Out from Box to S-Video, composit IN into TV therefore when I turn off SC the Box will send Video and Audio to TV. But I'm worry/scare when SC on a TV will get Video and Audio from Box FIRST without giving SC a chance to upscale Video or Audio. Am I thinking right or wrong? Any other way to connect so that I can control both ways. Thanks

#9,522 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonLite /forum/post/16509658

Can we operate Cable Box and TV without SC turn on because my tolders don't need to have SC to be on. Currently a HDMI Out from Cable Box to HDMI1 IN SC and then HDMI Out from SC to HDMI IN TV. I was thinking to run another S-Video, composit Out from Box to S-Video, composit IN into TV therefore when I turn off SC the Box will send Video and Audio to TV. But I'm worry/scare when SC on a TV will get Video and Audio from Box FIRST without giving SC a chance to upscale Video or Audio. Am I thinking right or wrong? Any other way to connect so that I can control both ways. Thanks

well, since the only way the display would "know" to look for the signal on the s-video input would be if you told it to (i.e. set the input to "s-video" instead of "hdmi"), you are worrying needlessly....

#9,523 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hata /forum/post/16507483

All,

Apologies in advance if this has been answered but a search yielded people who tried setting up, but no definitive answers (pun intended). This very informative thread has me pretty much paralyzed on how to set up my brand new SC-05. I'm pretty confused by much of the conversation around running the MCACC setup and then changing your speakers to small?

In my case, I don't have dedicated sub, I let the built in subs in the ST's do all the work which is more than sufficient for me. My question is, how do I set this up with all the different suggestions in this thread on speaker setup?

Should I:

1) Leave subwoofer gain on (half way up) and set front L/R and center to large after running the MCACC setup?

2) Leave subwoofer gain off (turned to zero) and set front L/R and center to small after running setup?

3) Leave subwoofer gain on and let MCACC do all the work and don't change a thing?

4) other?

At this point it's all a bit overwhelming

Thanks!

Hata

Setting your speakers to small just means that the base will be redirected form them to somewhere else. So if the center and rears are small and your mains are larger, then base other than LFE would go to them. Since you do not have a sub then all LFE will go to your mains as well. If you had a sub, then normal base would go to the mains and the LFE would go to the sub.

As a note, LFE can kill speakers. I would be careful how loud you play movies if you are not going to use a sub.

#9,526 ·
if you run s-video to your display, you would need to select the "s-video" input on the display....

similar to how you have it set on an hdmi input now...

#9,527 ·
I definetly know your all trying to help.This site's always been great.I'm just frustrated and sorry for being sarcastic sometimes.I hope apology is accepted.

I just got back on,had to do a complete destructive recovery on my desktop,after removing that SP3 and putting back on.I then had all kinds of problems.

I'll leave things alone and next get the nll-modem cable.

Have a good wkend

#9,528 ·

Quote:

All,

Apologies in advance if this has been answered but a search yielded people who tried setting up, but no definitive answers (pun intended). This very informative thread has me pretty much paralyzed on how to set up my brand new SC-05. I'm pretty confused by much of the conversation around running the MCACC setup and then changing your speakers to small?

In my case, I don't have dedicated sub, I let the built in subs in the ST's do all the work which is more than sufficient for me. My question is, how do I set this up with all the different suggestions in this thread on speaker setup?

Should I:

1) Leave subwoofer gain on (half way up) and set front L/R and center to large after running the MCACC setup?

2) Leave subwoofer gain off (turned to zero) and set front L/R and center to small after running setup?

3) Leave subwoofer gain on and let MCACC do all the work and don't change a thing?

4) other?

Thanks!

Hata

Several people have already answered, but since I have the very similar Mythos STS's, I'll chime in as well.

You have three options, and all will give pretty much equal results:

1) Connect your ST's with speaker wire only and set them to Large in the AVR. Set the sub to No/Off. All LFE bass and all bass from other channels set to Small as well as the bass intended for the ST's channels will be directed to the ST. This is favored by many DefTech owners who post on AVS.

2) Connect your ST's by speaker wire and coax cables with RCA connections ("Subwoofer Cables"). You'll need a "Y" connector to the sub out on the AVR. Set the subwoofer to Yes/On in the AVR. Set the front speakers to Large. This will give the same effect as (1) above, but allows MCACC to balance the subwoofer levels to the rest of the system, which it can't do in (1). It also allows you the flexibility to boost the LFE by 2-3dB in the AVR which will give you a little boost for movies without affecting the tonal balance when playing stereo music. This is the option Definitive Technology recommends.

3) Same hookup as (2) but set the ST's as Small. This is essentially the way most people set their system if they have freestanding subwoofers. The results are essentially the same as (2), but any adjustments you make to the sub levels in the AVR will affect stereo music as well as multichannel and/or LFE sources.

After making your connections, run MCACC. The first two won't require any adjustments in MCACC after it has run, at least for the ST's; the third requires that you manually change your ST's to Small, as MCACC will set them to Large.

Assuming you aren't using a powered center, set all your other speakers (non-ST's) to small if MCACC doesn't already. All the above require that you have the ST subwoofer gain on, generally in the 11:00 to 1:00 range, but it will vary by room. Turning it off effectively leaves you with an expensive Mythos Ten.

As I said, any of these will work. Pick the one that makes you most comfortable and enjoy a great speaker/AVR combination.

Edit: For those with a separate sub, generally the same options apply, but in addition, the standalone sub would be connected to the Sub Out terminal and the AVR would always be set to Yes/On. In this case there would also be the additional option of connecting the DefTech's by speaker wire as in (1), but setting them to Small instead of Large, if preferred.

#9,529 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggy40 /forum/post/16510819

I definetly know your all trying to help.This site's always been great.I'm just frustrated and sorry for being sarcastic sometimes.I hope apology is accepted.

I just got back on,had to do a complete destructive recovery on my desktop,after removing that SP3 and putting back on.I then had all kinds of problems.

I'll leave things alone and next get the nll-modem cable.

Have a good wkend

It's all good, duggy40.

Windows computers can make a person crazy.

Hope the null modem cable works.

In the meantime enjoy the holiday weekend!

#9,530 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/16510672

if you run s-video to your display, you would need to select the "s-video" input on the display....

similar to how you have it set on an hdmi input now...

Oh! I see now. So when I turn SC on I select HDMI1 on display and the SC.

When I turn SC off. On display(TV) I need to select Video1, or Video2 on display (TV) right.

Thank you so much for clear up.

#9,531 ·
#9,532 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 /forum/post/16510820

Several people have already answered, but since I have the very similar Mythos STS's, I'll chime in as well.

1) Connect your ST's with speaker wire only and set them to Large in the AVR. Set the sub to No/Off. All LFE bass and all bass from other channels set to Small as well as the bass intended for the ST's channels will be directed to the ST. This is favored by many DefTech owners who post on AVS.

One caveat: the first option (referenced above) will be effective on only those inputs subject to digital bass management. It will not be effective on 5.1/7.1 multichannel analog inputs.

AJ

#9,533 ·

Quote:

All,

Should I:

4) other?

Thanks!

Hata

graphicguy, catapult, snownut, wiwavelength and macfan424.

Thanks for all your help!!! I was hoping to avoid the RCA connection for LFE (currently using the speaker wire inputs) so I wouldn't have to fish any wire (AVR in different room than speakers). I think I'll do it eventually when I find the time, but for now, thank you so much for the help and I'll just run it as you described without the RCA's for now.

Hata

#9,534 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3dp /forum/post/16507415

Per CHP_VR I am going to give an update to my recently purchased SC-05. LOVE IT! I finally recieved my Oppo Blu-ray player last saturday and had a chance to test out a couple of blu-rays Transformers, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk all sounded so much better then my old Sony STR-DE875. After reading the manual on the Oppo finally today I found out I am not taking advantage of the full audio capability of the SC-05 either. So I am going to play with that alittle more tomorrow as well. Found an old pair of Klipsch satelite speakers around and used them as 7.1 but one was distorted so I got the WAF on a pair of RSX-5 because they are more eye pleasing then a normal surround speaker "wife's opnion". I finally got the subwoofer box last night so now I just gotta paint and finish it and will be able to hook that up. I am still curious to see if any one is using the EP2500 to power a subwoofer using the SC-05 Sub pre-amp out. I had issues with the Sony on I geuss line-voltage (Yes I'm a Noob) which wouldnt give the EP2500 enough signal. Once the sub is complete I will provide some pictures. Thanks for the insight on the SC-05 I most certainly did not go wrong with the baby.

Thanks for the update, dp3dp

Sounds like it's all coming together!

Wait until you get your sub installed...

another level in audio WOWness awaits

Keep us up to date and enjoy!!

Oh, and pictures always welcome

#9,535 ·

Quote:

2) Connect your ST's by speaker wire and coax cables with RCA connections ("Subwoofer Cables"). You'll need a "Y" connector to the sub out on the AVR. Set the subwoofer to Yes/On in the AVR. Set the front speakers to Large. This will give the same effect as (1) above, but allows MCACC to balance the subwoofer levels to the rest of the system, which it can't do in (1). It also allows you the flexibility to boost the LFE by 2-3dB in the AVR which will give you a little boost for movies without affecting the tonal balance when playing stereo music. This is the option Definitive Technology recommends.

3) Same hookup as (2) but set the ST's as Small. This is essentially the way most people set their system if they have freestanding subwoofers. The results are essentially the same as (2), but any adjustments you make to the sub levels in the AVR will affect stereo music as well as multichannel and/or LFE sources.

After making your connections, run MCACC. The first two won't require any adjustments in MCACC after it has run, at least for the ST's; the third requires that you manually change your ST's to Small, as MCACC will set them to Large.

Assuming you aren't using a powered center, set all your other speakers (non-ST's) to small if MCACC doesn't already. All the above require that you have the ST subwoofer gain on, generally in the 11:00 to 1:00 range, but it will vary by room. Turning it off effectively leaves you with an expensive Mythos Ten.

As I said, any of these will work. Pick the one that makes you most comfortable and enjoy a great speaker/AVR combination.

Hi Macfan; What center are you using with your STS's?

#9,536 ·

Quote:

i second that method. Im getting some def tech 7004's and most of the posts ive read, plus the def tech rep i e-mailed recomended this setup if you dont have a dedicated sub

#9,537 ·
well guys im locked into the setup im getting, except for a sub, maybe i can get some sugestions?

heres what im going for,

Room setup is 18X 13, heres a diagram
http://home.comcast.net/~kenshindono/room51.jpg

or possibly
http://home.comcast.net/~kenshindono/roomdraw251.jpg

which would be better acoustically? the first is better i think because in the 2nd one id be very close to the tv (60"), like 5 or 6 feet

Use: GAMING GAMING GAMING. seriously, gaming. 90% games 10%movies 0% tv/music. there isnt even cable hooked up to it, i watch tv on a seperate 32" on the side of the room

gear

Pioneer elite sc-05

front L/R: Definitive tech bp7004's

Center: clr2002's

rear L/R: BP2x's

Sub:here im not sure.. thinking martin logan ABYSS

the thing im not sure on is the sub. I'm hoping i can get some sugestions. I wasn't going to get one but the sound was a bit underwhelming without one. i tried the supercube II and it was ok but a bit muddy and gunfire wasn't that crisp. then i tried the abyss and it sounded really good. The plasma weapons in fallout 3 floored me, deafining with no distortion, regular gunfire sounded crisper too in COD. Thats where the confusion began, looking at the specs you would think the supercube is better. its got more wattage, and the frequency response is lower. but there was no question, the ABYSS was far crisper, louder, better.

the rep said it had something to do with the fact that the abyss uses a single 12".. dont know the term, cone?, and that its just a large sealed one, whereas the cube uses 2 smaller open ones or something. Does that make sense? maybe someone can explain that better to me.

i would just get the abyss but most of the threads ive seen about them claim theyre not that great for the price you pay. It is overpriced, the lowest i could find it for was about 900 bucks. I see a lot of people recomending an SVC, HSU, or Elemental Design, those range around high 500-almost 800 bucks. Id like to pay around 700 for one.

can anyone recomend something that will go good with that setup and reciever for gaming? or tell me what im realy looking for. Im very confused on the frequency response, i always though lower first number was better but maybe thats not the case? whats the deal with the single large sealed cone (or whatever its called) do those brands mentioned have that? help!

i may just get the abyss since I KNOW it sounds good but i feel like im overpaying. Im just worried that i'll get one of the other ones and wind up with a muddy sound for al that gunfire and explosions then be boned =(

#9,538 ·
Well, I waited a month or so after purchasing the SC05 before writing a couple of comments here, I'm sure that what I have to say has most likely already been said before in this forum which has to be one of the most organized and helpful forums on the web. Picked up an SC05 about a month ago for an incredible price, was amazed at the almost half off pricing of the it! I was wondering if the low price was a reason to worry, but figured what the heck I'll do it. Hooked it up to a Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000system with a Supercube sub and was immediately blown away by how detailed and the great soundstage of that combo.

Before making the purchase, I had a Marantz AV8003 along with two Monster amps that I was using to power a pair of BP7002 Def Techs and a CLR2500 along with some BPX2s. I never felt that this combination was getting me to audio "Eutopia", I mean don't get me wrong they sounded great for a lot of sources but I felt that the combo was just too harsh and not detailed enough. I decided to downsize and just kind of give up on the separates world of audio and go with a receiver and a small speaker system. I was not willing to spend the really big bucks that it would take to put together a true high end system. I worried about "stepping down" in audio quality by going to a receiver especially one with a much cheaper price tag.

Right out of the box I noticed that the 05 sounded darn good, but I have also noticed that it seems to sound better after it warms up a little. I like the type of sound that comes out of the 05, seems pretty neutral with just a little warmth in the midrange. Bass seems to be maybe just a little laid back and that is taking some to get used to. I originally was using a Denon 5910 for SACD and DVD Audio playback through the analog inputs, but purchased a Pioneer DV-58 that allows DSD and MCPCM over HDMI and I definitely prefer that manner of HD audio transmission, allowing the Wolfson DACs in the 05 to do the work.

The phono preamp seems pretty good, I went ahead and sold off my Rotel one because they seemed about equal in SQ. Home Media Center is a nice inclusion, has some user function issues, but I have used it to play music and it is a nice little extra to have when company is coming over and you can stream hours of music without having to switch CDs.

I have one major gripe, and that is the video section. My 5910 upscaling SDVDs over HDMI blows the Pioneer away. Too bad they couldn't have gone the REON route also, I have other sources that I would have loved to run through a better upscaling receiver.

So anyway after having the 05 for a few weeks I picked up some B & W 683s and was able to audition them with the receiver. They seem to be a really good match and the 05 runs the 683s without breaking a sweat. So much so that I finished out the system with B & W speakers and sold off the Def Tech stuff. I am very pleased with this receiver, it has answered all doubts that I had when purchasing it, including that small little non-detachable power cord (man I love to see a huge power cord running out the back of my receivers) but oh well it sounds great, I feel that it gives me a better sound than that expensive separate and tower speaker combo that I had before.

Equipment:

Pioneer SC05

Denon 5910

PS3

Pioneer DV-58 (for audio only)

B & W 683, HTM61, 686, Def Tech SuperCube

ProJect Debut III Turntable

Kimber Kable interconnects

#9,539 ·
tmj811998,

Thanks for sharing your impressions

Glad you're not disappointed.

The more you use it, the better it sounds

(same with your speakers)

Yeah, B&Ws seem to work well with those ICE Amps IMO!

For the model range, the Faroudja DCDi ain't that bad.. but agreed, it's not top of the line. To get Marvell QDEO quality (and still get the same audio quality), you'ld have to step up to the SC-09TX (same applies for the detachable cord, unless you buy European) and that's quite a jump in price if that's all your looking for..

Adding your impressions to the member's review section.

Thanks for the great write up!!

Enjoy your system!

Oh, no pictures????

Edit: Added link Member's Reviews Page2

#9,540 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/16511498

One caveat: the first option (referenced above) will be effective on only those inputs subject to digital bass management. It will not be effective on 5.1/7.1 multichannel analog inputs.

AJ

True. I guess I'm so glad not to have to use them anymore that I forgot about that possibility. It's called repression.