Last updated: 04.03.10

A Few Items New or Prospective Owners may want to Know

REVIEWSDownloads:

General information:
Universal Remotes & RS232 codes:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Code:
Code:
- [URL='http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Search?keywords=ir+and+hex+codes+sc-0'][B]IR and Hex codes[/B][/URL] 
-Pronto (ccf format) files and "Universal" (mxf) files  [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16013382#post16013382']here[/URL] 
-RS232C Protocols for Custom installations [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-07%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-07[/URL]  and  [URL='http://pioneerusa.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-05%20RS-232C%20Protocol.pdf']SC-05[/URL] 
-Crestron , Crestron's Integrated Partner Module  [URL='http://www.crestron.com/tools_and_resources/programming_and_integration_resources/integrated_partner_modules/default.asp?module_id=658&devicetype_id=&manufacturer_id=134']Click Here[/URL] 
-Harmony codes: available as of 10/30/08 (ccotenj)
- [URL='http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16131010#post16131010']Harmony Remote Tips[/URL]
- Service Codes

========================================================

Tips/Examples from Members:

========================================================

Networking and Streaming:
-Apple and OS/X networking and Music Streaming ccotenj
-Internet radio Impression1 Impression2
-Network and media server connections ( a_ok2me )
Tips:
-To access HMG MENUS with the remote, be sure to switch from "receiver" to "source"
- Cooling/Ventilation
-SC-LX81 (SC-07) autopsy and here
-Removing stickers without Scratching? Method1 Method2 Method3
-Dimmer setting location: bottom portion of the remote, under the sliding door (number 3 button)
- PURE Direct Observations by MacFan
Subwoofers/Speakers
-Quickstart Speaker setup - MacFan
- Bossobass guide to subwoofers
-General Subwoofer settings (Macfan424) and here
-How do I hook up my Definitive Mythos to the SC/05/07/09? MacFan424
- Dual Subs Graphicguy and MacFan424
LFE/MCACC
-Proper Microphone position for calibration Ray
-LFE and crossover settings MacFan and secrets by Colin Miller & Brian Florian Thanks MacFan
-Why are my MCACC settings 6db lower from my last Pioneer? ss9001
-X-Curve and room sample by eldithomaso
- Connecting your PC to MCACC
- MCACC calibration MacFan
- MCACC and background noise by ss9001
General Connections:
-How to set Video HDMI with Digital (Optical/Coax) Audio Click here
-PS3 connection to Your new SC-05/07 AUDIO/VIDEO
- working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3 by mhdiab
-Zone 2 and 3 configuration example by Geoff and alerion
-Adding the ability to watch TV from one source and Audio from another? method1 (SC-05/07) method2 (SC-07)
-HMG and an external HD JS1000
Utilities
-DIY 12VDC Trigger for switching by mrgribbles and circuit diagrams by decoupe
-Member recommended CD to FLAC converters EAC winamp dBpower
-Rippng DTS with Windows - Info_Dan
- How much Power do you actually use? SPL Calculator Thanks MacFan
- Resetting your AVR/Service Mode Codes
- HMG Update
Potential problems:
-Problems with DD+ with the Toshiba XA2 and Samsung HD-DVD. Workarounds from FilmMixer and ss9001
-Rel Subwoofers and SC-05/07/09 Precautions
- Flashing MCACC LED and LED Issues
-Fios Cable Box shows "green screen of death" -- Try HDMI Input 3
added January-March 2010

MCACC background noise ss9001

SPL Calculator

SC-07 with Oppo 83 review Shane55 member's review (page 3)

working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3

FW HMG updates from users

Raymond G review
My first impression - original first post

See less See more
#9,781 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan /forum/post/16540111

Don't think there's any way to affect it. In fact, I put black tape over mine because, when watching a movie, I use the dimmer function to turn off the display and the blue light was annoying me...

I think it happened to someone else in this thread some time ago. I thought it was *extremely* rare for LEDs to burn out. Guess the new blue leds have some way to go in terms of reliability!

Dan.

Thanks Dan. Guess im one of the rare cases ;(

#9,782 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrius /forum/post/16540964

Good info to know, thanks for the reply. I wish I had read this before getting mine, perhaps I could have saved myself a headache (from calling 6ave) and even saved a few bucks.

Kevin, I believe the situation is that HiFi Heaven IS an authorized Pio dealer (it sure would appear so, since they have a page dedicated to Elite receivers on their website). However, my guess is they have not been authorized by Pio to sell them online. I have no idea how advertising online via videogon and then selling them over the phone qualifies. I'm hoping I have no issues registering my receiver with Pio for the warrenty. If worse comes to worse, I'll probably just tell Pio that I had a family member in Green Bay buy it and have them ship it to me (or some variation of that story
).

I had the opposite experience with HiFi Heaven. They were helpful on the phone, and even called me back with an answer to a question I had. A far cry from the service I got from 6ave, so I bought it from HiFi Heaven. I guess it just comes down to which CS rep you end up speaking with at the various places.

I spoke with Will from HiFi Heaven over the phone today. He seems like a decent enough guy. Although, he mentioned that if I go with ground shipping he could get it to my place in Maryland in 3 days. That statement seems a little dubious!

But unless I can get a lower price with 6ave, i'll probably go with HiFi Heaven.

Thanks for your help!

#9,783 ·
I just received this cable in the mail today. Hooked it up expecting to get all the goodies that are a by product of this set up. I am sorry to report that so far it has been a complete waste of time. Perhaps there is a problem in my set up. It is as follows.

1. HDMI Control in the Receiver set to OFF.

2. SR+ logo has been activated and is now illuminated on the SC-05 screen.

3. Have Directv HR20-700 running with HDMI to HDMI 1 input on Kuro.

4. Have Samsung BD-P2550 running with HDMI to BD input on Kuro.

So far, I can not get the volume to display on the TV or any of the other features SR+ was said to deliver.

Perhaps the issue is in my set up? I only spent $6.49 on this cable, 4 pole 3.5mm mini calbe.

The owner's manual advises running Video cables to Kuro while running the Audio cables to SC-05. As mentioned above, I have HDMI connections not Component. Will the SR+ features not work with HDMI connections? It seems this is the case.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has tried the same thing and if their results were similar.

Thanks for your time.

As FYI, have also posted this on the official 9G Kuro forum as well just in case you see this as duplicate.

#9,784 ·
I've noticed a few queries about HMG over time, so I'll share what I have found. Hopefully this helps people considering the external HD direct to amp set-up.

I have a 1TB external HD connected directly via USB.

HMG scrolling is painfully slow. This is slightly monotonous given there are over 1,000 albums on my HD. It is especially tedious when I have scrolled half way down and I am down to M', only to accidentally click out of the albums directory back to the HMG screen.

HMG seems fairly happy to play everything the manual says it can play (have tried mp3, Flac, wav, DTS encoded wav, m4a). Having said that, it occasionally freezes and a quick power off/on is required to start fresh. Same grief applies when you lose your place in the directory however.

I realise I could break it up into alphabetical folders (A', B', C', etc with artists in each folder alphabetically) but it's more fun reviewing all my options when I'm not sure what I want to listen to.

I plan to set-up an old spare PC as a predominantly music player (with occasional DivX play). At the moment it has limited audio connections, so I am hunting either a low-profile soundcard with coaxial/SPDIF out or an external USB soundcard with coaxial/SPDIF output for 5.1 DTS encoded wav files that I have.

After I've sorted that out, I then need to find a media player with the capacity to play the DTS encoded wav files, in addition to the usual suspects. I have looked at Media Monkey, Winamp, Songbird and a bunch of others, but haven't found one that plays all of these files types. Funnily enough, that's what HMG does with ease. Anyway, that's a work in progress...

HMG in action.

I realise the aspect ratio is probably wrong but I can't change this on the Pio so I've grown used to it (which is funny because I can't believe how many displays I see in hotels etc where the AR is incorrect and I always want to fix it!). When I select video parameters on the remote it always says CANNOT SELECT' unless I am viewing a jpg.

HMG playing a FLAC file. Note the absence of anything in the 'genre' field (although it has been tagged and shows in Winamp and other progs) and the remain time' is filled with stars.

HMG playing the same song as the above pic, ripped to a mediocre bit-rate mp3. Note that the last letter in each of the 'artist', 'album' and 'title' fields are missing. This happens to every mp3 I play. I tried placing one single album on the HD first to see if that would fix it, but it did nothing, so it is not to do with the quantity of songs/folders. Starry remain time' again.

HMG playing another mp3. Demonstrates the same last character missing' phenomenon. The 'remain time' is back however.

HMG playing DTS encoded 5.1 wav file. The fact that HMG plays and decodes this is pretty good, I think.

#9,786 ·
tiger123... do you also have hdmi control turned off on the display?

also, aren't the 9g kuros sr only (not sr+)?

edit: patgilm beat me to it...

#9,787 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger123 /forum/post/16546342

I just received this cable in the mail today. Hooked it up expecting to get all the goodies that are a by product of this set up. I am sorry to report that so far it has been a complete waste of time. Perhaps there is a problem in my set up. It is as follows.

1. HDMI Control in the Receiver set to OFF.

2. SR+ logo has been activated and is now illuminated on the SC-05 screen.

3. Have Directv HR20-700 running with HDMI to HDMI 1 input on Kuro.

4. Have Samsung BD-P2550 running with HDMI to BD input on Kuro.

So far, I can not get the volume to display on the TV or any of the other features SR+ was said to deliver.

Perhaps the issue is in my set up? I only spent $6.49 on this cable, 4 pole 3.5mm mini calbe.

The owner's manual advises running Video cables to Kuro while running the Audio cables to SC-05. As mentioned above, I have HDMI connections not Component. Will the SR+ features not work with HDMI connections? It seems this is the case.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has tried the same thing and if their results were similar.

Thanks for your time.

As FYI, have also posted this on the official 9G Kuro forum as well just in case you see this as duplicate.

Unfortunately you did waste your time. Not sure if you mentioned it previously but now that you say you have a 9G Kuro, the SR+ cable will not work. The 9G Kuro only has SR not SR+ (with the + being for video).

#9,788 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers /forum/post/16547127

Hi there, awesome thread.

I tried searching this, but "way" isn't a valid search term?

I was wondering if the SC05 can perform two way communication to a universal remote, showing me volume, options, etc on the remote?

Thanks!

i haven't tried it, but since they chose to include a rs232 port, i'm guessing that it may allow 2-way communication with a rs232 based control system...

ymmv. what remote system are we talking about?

#9,789 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR /forum/post/16545111

You definitely want some space behind you, like ccotenj says....

HOWEVER, if you want to experiment.. you might try putting a pair or even a single one (6.1) behind your sofa on the floor with the speakers pointed upward......

I did that when I was playing around with the idea, and it worked pretty well..

I ended up placing them 4 feet behind the sitting area and 4 feet apart, and about 3 feet from the ceiling, but behind the sofa worked surprisingly well dvab

YMMV, of course.

Interesting idea; now that might fly. Thanks to you and Chris for the replies.

#9,790 ·
dvab, yea that's worth a shot... when i was obsessing over speaker placement, that idea came up a couple times and it seems like people had pretty decent success with it...

#9,791 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster73 /forum/post/16541669

Hi Dan,

I have a Samsung LN A460P which supposedly has a native resolution of 1920x1080. I have connected to the receiver to HDMI1 (below the bluray input)via the ATI DVI/HDMI supplied dongle that allows audio pass through (audio works fine). I then connect from the receiver to via HDMI. My Radeon 4850 is then set to 1920x1080p @60Hz. With no adjustments, I have black borders and fuzzy text. I can adjust the overscan in the Catalyst control centre, but even though I can make it appear to fill the screen perfectly it is still fuzzy, less bright, and whites are yellowish.

Alternatively, I can plug straight into the TV via HDMI and on normal setting I get the same black border. But the TV allows for one HDMI input to be assigned as 'PC' that corrects the over/underscan issue and the result is very pleasing. This however means that everytime I switch from Blu Ray (stand alone) to PC, I have to enter the TV menu and switch the inputs instead of having my receiver take care of it. Not ideal. This also poses a problem that if I'm using the HDMI port from the PC to the TV, i can no longer pass Hi Def audio to the receiver, since I then have to use SPDIF instead.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

You say that when you plug straight into the TV via HDMI and on normal setting, you get the same black border. I assume then that the text is also fuzzy?

When you connect through the SC-05, what happens if you designate the input coming from the SC-05 as the 'PC' input? My guess is that it will look fine.

The SCs don't do any conversion on the HDMI signal, so I suspect your issue has more to do with your Samsung display than the receiver.

If leaving the input connected to the SC-05 permanently set to PC is not an option, then one idea would be to use an HDMI splitter to connect the SC-05 to two HDMI inputs on your TV, and switch from one to the other when using the PC (I hope you did not hesitate too much between the SC-05 and SC-07 that has two HDMI outputs...).

On the Pioneer displays, one of the video modes is "dot by dot", where every pixel from the incoming signal is mapped to a single pixel of the display. Would there be a similar mode on the Samsung display? Or is that the PC mode...? You might get additional ideas in the Samsung Owner's thread.

Hope this helps a little,

Dan.

#9,792 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1000 /forum/post/16546813

After I've sorted that out, I then need to find a media player with the capacity to play the DTS encoded wav files, in addition to the usual suspects. I have looked at Media Monkey, Winamp, Songbird and a bunch of others, but haven't found one that plays all of these files types. Funnily enough, that's what HMG does with ease. Anyway, that's a work in progress...

I had a PC as a media player before getting the SC-07, and the HMG is definitely no threat to that solution

All my CDs are ripped as lossless WAV, and one of them is a DTS encoded CD (Alan Parsons Project - On Air), so I have DTS encoded files as well.

You don't need a special player to play them to the SC, but you do have to make sure that the digital data is sent through the digital out without absolutely ANY modification whatsoever.

I am using Windows Media Player 10, and here is a list of the things that need to be checked to get the SC to recognize the incoming data as a DTS stream:

- Media Player Volume to maximum

- No volume leveling

- No equalizer or tone control

- My audio card has an "avdvanced" mixer option called "rate conversion". This needs to be off as well.

- S/PDIF does not have volume control, but if it had, it would probably need to be set to maximum.

Basically, anything that would alter the data will cause the DTS signatures to be corrupt and you will get noise with speaker-damaging potential.

But the nice thing is that once you get your DTS files to play as DTS, you *know* you are sending the original data, and any other lossless file you play will be absolutely no different than coming from a high end CD player connected through digital output. (Yes, I know, I'm skipping the digital/optical and jitter aspects of the connection to the receiver here).

Dan.

#9,793 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kevin- /forum/post/16545272

I spoke with Will from "Bill at Videogon" over the phone today. He seems like a decent enough guy. Although, he mentioned that if I go with ground shipping he could get it to my place in Maryland in 3 days. That statement seems a little dubious!

But unless I can get a lower price with 6ave, i'll probably go with HiFi Heaven.

Thanks for your help!

I just thought I'd update those who were interested in this particular discussion. I received my SC05 yesturday from "Bill at Videogon". The receipt shows it as a phone order (which, technically it was), so I don't anticipate any problems registering it with Pioneer, I'll update on that aspect when I do it.

It came single boxed in the original, unopened Pioneer box, and with no appreciable damage. The unit was indeed brand new (which I was expecting) and protected by quite a bit of styrofoam inside the box. I really wouldn't sweat the 'no double box' issue personally.

The unit seems fantastic. Mine is currently not in it's final resting spot yet (HT room still under construction), so I hooked it up in the game room and replaced an old Yamaha 5.1 DD/DTS receiver (about 10 years old). I did a quick run with MCACC, but I still have a lot of tweaking/learning to do there. I don't have my OPPO 83 yet, so I just played the Transformers DVD. The sound was awesome. The biggest difference I noticed was how smooth the sound was even at higher volumes (though I didn't blast it too high yet, the kiddo's were asleep). I think -20 is the highest I went. However, comparing it to the older Yamaha, even at that volume level the higher SPL peaks were much more bearable. I realize this is a debated discussion, but so far this has helped convinced me that headroom for higher spl peaks helps smooth out the sound and reduce the piercing factor that can often be heard during explosions or other high volume peaks. Anyhow, very pleased so far and well worth my money.

#9,794 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kevin- /forum/post/16545272

I spoke with Will... over the phone today. He seems like a decent enough guy. Although, he mentioned that if I go with ground shipping he could get it to my place in Maryland in 3 days. That statement seems a little dubious!...

I bought a gift for my daughter from them, and it arrived in Portland OR within three days, so there is a good chance he's right. They ship within hours after receiving payment.

(BTW, I redacted the company name, as I don't think we're doing them any favors by repeating it. Pioneer might frown on their distribution channel, so no reason to flaunt it. I'm pretty sure there is a reason they don't say who they are on Videogon.)

#9,795 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrius /forum/post/16547832

snip...

It came single boxed in the original, unopened Pioneer box, and with no appreciable damage. The unit was indeed brand new (which I was expecting) and protected by quite a bit of styrofoam inside the box. I really wouldn't sweat the 'no double box' issue personally.

My SC-05 came in original box from a different vendor, no double box. The packing was damaged, foam cracked, and it was about one more transfer away from the unit being damaged.

The box damage experiences I've had have been FedEx Ground. Whether that is a local issue or national I don't know.

I would pay a bit extra for double boxing if that is an option.

#9,796 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm /forum/post/16547456

Unfortunately you did waste your time. Not sure if you mentioned it previously but now that you say you have a 9G Kuro, the SR+ cable will not work. The 9G Kuro only has SR not SR+ (with the + being for video).

Thanks. I do have a 9G Kuro PDP5020FD and it is only SR. That would explain it. I wonder how difficult it would be for the Pioneer engineer's to upgrade this feature in the PDP5020FD via firmware? I don't see that happening anytime soon as I can't imagine this is a big enough issue for them.

Oh well, at least I'm not out a lot of money on this cable.

Thanks again.

#9,797 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono /forum/post/16545161

...im a bit confused though. What guage should i really get? is 28 fine? or should i go for 24? whats the difference gonna really do? the runs are going to be no longer than 5 or 6 feet

I wouldn't worry about gauge. Any HDMI cable rated as 1.3 Category 2 certified meets the highest current standard. All of them are capable of carrying signals well in excess of anything supported by other equipment currently on the consumer market.

Heavier gauge (lower number) cables will carry the signal over longer distances. It also harder to bend and more difficult to install in some situations.

28 Gauge is more than sufficient for a 6 foot cable. In fact, any cable MonoPrice sells will work. They don't sell cables longer than the gauge will support. The cheapest ones they sell will work as well as the most expensive.

Quote:
Im looking at monoprice right now

i was looking at some of their options, the 28 and the 24 seem to have the same ratings

EXCEPT for the true color rating. the 28 rates

10-bit, 12-bit, and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths. x.v.Color

while the 24 says

Deep Color: 10-bit, 12-bit, and 3*16-bit (48-bit RGB or YCbCr) color depths. x.v.Color

whats the 3*16 mean? does that make it better?

3*16 just means it's 16 bit for all three colors. In these specs, 16 bit and 48 bit mean the same thing.

Chances are none of your other equipment exceeds 12 bit, so it is of little concern anyway.

Quote:
2 other questions regarding the 24 if i go with that, whats the difference between the flat one and the regular one with a net?

net is a bit more expensive. is there any perfomance difference?

Shape. The flat one can be configured to fit in tighter spaces. A lot of people like the net for the "cool" factor; it looks more like the expensive brand "M". There is no performance difference. Digital cables either work or they don't (sparkles, obvious dropouts, or no signal at all). There is no subtle degradation as there could be with analog cables.

Quote:
and finally, whats the silver plated one do:

again the stats seem the same its just listed as silver instead of tin plated. I want to get the better cables if i can just not sure which are better =P

Check the MonoPrice Knowledge Base for the product you are considering. They answer most of your questions. In response to this one, they say:

"Tin and silver plating refer to plating on the copper wire conduits inside the cable. The plating is to control the "skin effect." The skin effect is the tendancy of digital signals to travel along the surface of a wire and be more suceptible to surface disipation. The plating is suppose to lock the signal in the copper core.

"Silver is a better conductor of electricity than tin and therefore offers better signal integrity."

IMO, there is nothing to be gained from silver plating in practical use, but some like the comfort of buying something theoretically "better."

#9,798 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 /forum/post/16547958

I bought a gift for my daughter from them, and it arrived in Portland OR within three days, so there is a good chance he's right. They ship within hours after receiving payment.

(BTW, I redacted the company name, as I don't think we're doing them any favors by repeating it. Pioneer might frown on their distribution channel, so no reason to flaunt it. I'm pretty sure there is a reason they don't say who they are on Videogon.)

Your probably right, concerning the store name. I went back and edited my posts and used "Bill at Videogon" as the store name, instead. If anyone is interested in the actual store name, PM me.

#9,799 ·
kenshin... i agree with everything macfan told you (no surprise there
)...

check out this page ... LOTS of good information there...

#9,800 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerion /forum/post/16548040

My SC-05 came in original box from a different vendor, no double box. The packing was damaged, foam cracked, and it was about one more transfer away from the unit being damaged.

The box damage experiences I've had have been FedEx Ground. Whether that is a local issue or national I don't know.

I would pay a bit extra for double boxing if that is an option.

Fair enough, it can certainly happen when dealing with most if not all of the shipping companies. Mine was far from being damaged, and some do like to keep the original box in as pristine condition as they can.