AVS Forum banner

The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread

2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  John Hooper 
#1 ·
#11,681 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat /forum/post/16583295

And I'm stunned anyone wants to use a Kuro as a computer monitor with sound which is what you're asking.

Clearly a case of different strokes....

Diane

"Stunned" as to why someone would want to duplicate their laptop on their HT? Why? The internet (and your own HDD for that matter) opens up access to BILLIONS of pictures, music videos and other media that you would never normally have access to.

pretty straightforward, really.

James

#11,682 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/16581760

I think I may have unintentionally misled you. I don't use Media Gallery at all. My laptop replication is done by connecting my laptop to my AV receiver via an HDMI cable, not by any sort of network connection, which Media Gallery requires. The Kuro is receiving the signal sent by the laptop from the AV receiver via an HDMI connection, just as it receives all the other signals input to the receiver. I hope this helps to clear up any misunderstanding.

Cool, this was my assumption.

It's fine, I was just going crazy trying to figure out how you were accomplishing lap-top replication with that configuration!

later,

James

#11,683 ·
well I ran the thumbdrive images for ten hours last night, I must say it is pretty wild to see the whole 50 inch screen glowing red and green.

any thoughts on how long would be too long to run those images?

Since we can set the tv to repeat all, you dont have to worry about one image being stuck on the screen. I just turned it off before I left for work just to be safe.

I figure when I get home I will do the same thing again and knock another ten hours out by tommorow when I wake up to go to work.

#11,684 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/16578794

hey kuro pros/lovers: please help if you can.

Simply, I want to DUPLICATE my laptop on my kuro...WIRELESSLY if possible.

My kuro is on my network. My laptop is on my network. My Denon 3808 is on my network. Can this be done?

Although I haven't messed with the Media Gallery yet, I know it "finds" media files and allows playback of them over my LAN, correct? That's great, but I'm looking for complete control- web browsing, etc.

In the past, I tried HDMI with my CPU and xbr4 and found it to be a nightmare- no audio, cpu not recognized, etc. Plus, a long hdmi cable to boot.

It seems to me that if these can all be on the same network, this "should" be possible. Is it?

BTW- even if I "just" get the CPU to the kuro, it is one of the few TV's that actually pass multi-channel audio, correct? This way I could just output the audio to the receiver.

thanks guys!

James

If you're talking wireless, you will need one SMOKIN FAST wireless system if you are talking about HD video, especially 1080p. Wireless G peaks at 54Mb/s but more realistically delivers 35Mb/s. A good wireless N setup will peak at 300MB/s but 200Mb/s is more of a realistic transfer rate. The Denon's wireless port supports B and G standards so you can't count on any more than 35Mb/s from the Denon.

To be able to send Blu-ray quality, you need a long-term average of 54Mb/s, but there is a recommendation that 76Mb/s is needed to guarantee no interruptions of audio or video.

The Denon's ethernet port is 100BaseT (100Mb/s) so it "should" handle Blu-ray, but you won't be able to do anything else with the network (or very very little) while sending Blu-ray.

The bandwidth for 1080i and Dolby Digital is MUCH lower - so what you can achieve will depend a lot on what you want to send.

#11,685 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by minazaki /forum/post/16582181

A question from a relatively new 6020fd owner:

Does the optical audio output pass digital multi-channel audio signals from HDMI inputs, and stereo audio from the other inputs? If so, are there any special settings to get this working?

Thanks in advance!

The optical audio output will only pass stereo when processing audio from the HDMI. The movie studios are to blame. It will output 5.1 when using the internal tuner and I believe with media gallery.

#11,686 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by minazaki /forum/post/16582181

...Does the optical audio output pass digital multi-channel audio signals from HDMI inputs....

What are you trying to do? If you are running from a cable box, you can run an HDMI cable to the panel, and then an optical cable from the cable box to your receiver to get the surround sound on high def channels. Of course, you can run from the box to the receiver with an HDMI in, and then onto the panel.

#11,687 ·
So I pulled the trigger and got my set calibrated today. It was done by one of the posters on here, Mark who's screen name is "mkaye". I don't have the reports yet to post but it was certainly an interesting experience. I decided to simply calibrate MOVIE with Pure Cinema: OFF and to calibrate MOVIE with Pure Cinema Advanced.

I decided this because I was debating the effects of the color temperature and would it be better to calibrate STANDARD with Pure Cinema: OFF. The idea was that STANDARD would be a higher temp and when I brought it down to say 6500k, it would also bring down the temp on the other mode. When we looked at the Pre-Calibration, MOVIE was at about 8000k, so I just decided to bring that to 6500k, and still bringing down the other modes from what they were at.

The weird thing is MOVIE was at 8000k and that was after I used D-Nice Offsets so those offsets did not bring my TV close to 6500k. (But I have to admit they made my picture better than out of the box.)

The other reason I decided to calibrate MOVIE with Pure Cinema: OFF was that I find myself watching most HD television and all Blu-Ray in MOVIE, and I thought it was the closest thing to set it and forget it. One HDMI is Pure Cinema: OFF, the other is Pure Cinema: Advanced. (I think they hold independently. I'll let you know if they don't)

I have not had too much time to play around with it to truly see if I notice a huge difference. We did play The Dark Knight for awhile and it was amazing, it always was.

SO my original RGB out of the box were:

R-High - 507

G-High - 502

B-High - 500

Lows all at 500

My calibrated MOVIE with Pure Cinema: OFF

R-High - 496

G-High - 500

B-High - 570

Lows all at 500

Strange how it was measuring more blue at 8000k yet we still had to raise the blue?

My calibrated MOVIE with Pure Cinema: Advance

R-High - 485

G-High - 500

B-High - 560

So they are somewhat different than with Pure Cinema: OFF

What is more important is that my obsession with making sure I am getting the most from this TV is over. At least I hope it is.

Thanks Mark

#11,688 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn /forum/post/16585204

To be able to send Blu-ray quality, you need a long-term average of 54Mb/s, but there is a recommendation that 76Mb/s is needed to guarantee no interruptions of audio or video.

It's actually much worse than that...Those numbers are for the bandwidth required to transmit compressed Blu-ray video. The bandwidth needed for the uncompressed 1080p at 60fps produced by your laptop is over 350 MB/s. That's megabytes per second...

#11,689 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby /forum/post/16585973

So I pulled the trigger and got my set calibrated today. It was done by one of the posters on here, Mark who's screen name is "mkaye".

Thanks for your calibration report. I've added it to the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

If you come up with some PQ impressions related to before and after calibration, it would be helpful if you also used the edit button to add them to your original post.

#11,693 ·
HELP! Hi guys. I was using ControlCal v10 and now the screen is hung on the white "pattern" screen. Even if I reset the TV from the back switch it comes back to the white screen. Now, the sound is working (though my speakers), so it is just what it is displaying that is the issue. I also cannot use any buttons on anything to help it. HELP!

#11,694 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmorgan23 /forum/post/16587042

I am really debating having one of the posters on this forum calibrate my tv when they are coming in through austin.

Any thoughts on getting my 5020 calibrated?

Here are some options.

I think D-Nice just did a tour in Texas, but I'm not certain of that.

David is based in Southern California but he tours Texas.

David Abrams
http://www.avical.com/
dave@avical.com

1-323-679-4079

If Gregg doesn't tour Texas, he has someone in his LionAV group that does.

Gregg Loewen
http://www.lionav.com/services.php
gregg@lionav.com

Turbe maintains a list, including work areas, of calibrators that work on your model Kuro, and that can activate and calibrate the ISFccc Interface. David and Gregg are on that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/15943063

Check this LIST of Calibrators that can activate and calibrate the ISFccc Interface.

#11,695 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNace /forum/post/16587154

HELP! Hi guys. I was using ControlCal v10 and now the screen is hung on the white "pattern" screen. Even if I reset the TV from the back switch it comes back to the white screen. Now, the sound is working (though my speakers), so it is just what it is displaying that is the issue. I also cannot use any buttons on anything to help it. HELP!

Dont panic! The same thing happened to me as well.

1. Turn on the TV via controlcal

2. With your owner's remote, press the Mute button twice, then enter. (You wont see anything echo on the screen)

3. Press Calibration ON and see if it comes back.

Let us know what happens.

#11,696 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree /forum/post/16587366

Dont panic! The same thing happened to me as well.

1. Turn on the TV via controlcal

2. With your owner's remote, press the Mute button twice, then enter. (You wont see anything echo on the screen)

3. Press Calibration ON and see if it comes back.

Let us know what happens.

Well, it receives the code (which is good and it did not do before) but then does not do anything. If I hit calibration off it just sends an error code. The screen is remaining white. So it seems like I can access the service menu but can't see what the heck I'm doing. I would seem that I need to know the keystrokes to get out of the "pattern 1" to get back to anything else.

I may have to do a master reset. Does such a thing exist? Could someone walk me through it with the appropriate number of clicks since I can't see...

EDIT: Turbe helped out. We needed to do things without Calibration on. Crisis averted. Solution as follows: Try moving the PATTERN Slider to 0 and press the small SEND Button next to that Slider/Control. Even it it's on 0, press the small SEND Button Next to it. Try this with and without pressing the CALIBRATION ON Button.

#11,697 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNace /forum/post/16587946

EDIT: Turbe helped out.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I just woke up from being put "under" for a Procedure at the MD that started Mid day

Now I'm hungry..

#11,700 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigs21 /forum/post/16588528

Does the 111fd benefit at all from clean power..

I need to get a new surge any way to hook up the Tv just was wonder for any suggestions..

All electronics benefit from clean power but a surge protector doesn't provide that. The best way is a carefully built inverter driven from a sturdy battery. This can sometimes be found in a (pricey) UPS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.