151FD Product Brochure

The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread

The Official 9G Pioneer General Discussion Thread

9G Elite Reviews

D-Nice's Review of the Pro-111FD

Sound and Vision's Review of the Pro-111FD

Ultimate AV's review of the Pro-111FD

CNet's review of the Pro-111FD

It seems I'm the first to get the PRO-151FD in this forum so I figured I'd start the Thread.

First impressions:

Can notice blacker blacks over 5010. It's hard to tell were the bezel ends with the black bars.

Initial start up is set to performance mode.

While in the menu. Very slight buzz when you put your head behind the set. Can't hear it in front at all. Haven't try TV or video yet but I will before I start break-in.

Update regarding buzz:

While running the break-in disc, I do hear a buzz which does change pitch from dark to light screens, light screens higher pitch, but I have to be 2 to 3 feet from the front to hear it and it's the same as my 5010. My DVR box is louder then the buzz.

Not the brightest backlite remote I've seen. It's a little hard to see if the room is very dark.

I like the menus better then the 5010. I didn't care for the windows xp-ish menus in the 5010.

It has a great tool menu that comes up from the bottom during viewing which you can change settings like picture mode and screen size. Here's the post of the picture. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=10

PRO-111FD/151FD Specs:

- High-Definition 1080p Resolution (1920 x 1080p)

- 50”/60" Diagonal Class / 16:9 Wide-Screen Aspect Ratio

- 1080 Progressive Image Reproduction with ability to accept 480i / 480p / 720p / 1080i / and TRUE 1080p 24fps signals

- New Deeper, Intense Blacks for Unmatched Contrast (5x Previous Generation)

- New Thinner Cosmetic Design with ››Elegant Acrylic Bezel

- New, Improved Optimum Mode. Automatically analyses and adjusts audio and video settings according to specific room light conditions and type of light and color. Program content is also monitored and finely adjusted so movies, sports and news are all faithfully reproduced. Includes OSD with status.

- New External Color Sensor

- Room Light Sensor for automatic picture adjustment adjustment

- PureCinema Smooth Film Motion mode to eliminate motion jutter in 3:2 Pulldown (60Hz) providing natural even playback of content created on film

- 4 Independent HDMI 1.3 inputs with HDMI-CEC control and the ability ››to accept 1080p 24/60Hz signal

- Standard 3:2 (60Hz) and Advanced PureCinema with 3:3 Pulldown (72Hz) for accurate playback of film content

- Fully integrated ATSC and NTSC Tuner with Clear QAM

- Home Media Gallery – offering a multimedia experience to enjoy movies, music and photos through an existing home network or USB memory device

- ISFccc Calibration Ready for professional customization of plasma picture according to personal preferences for contrast, tint, color as well as room conditions for both day and nighttime viewing. Includes:

- Independent Gamma Control (R / G / B) for heightened color ––calibration

- V-Chip Parental Control

- Remote Control – Illuminated / Preset Mode / Learning Mode

- New Advanced Redesigned GUI

- A/V Selection Memory – 10 options for viewing preferences: Optimum / Performance / Sports / Movie / PURE / Game / Standard*/ ISF-Day / ISF-Night / ISF-Auto (PC input: only Standard)

- Aspect Ratio Control – 9 positions: Auto* / Full / “Dot by Dot” / Zoom* / Cinema* / 4:3 / Wide* (only for SD) / Wide1* (only for HD) / Wide2* (only for HD) *Except PC signal

- Advanced Picture-in-Picture (4 positions), Picture-side-Picture for use with Home Media Gallery & Broadcast and Still Picture capability

- After-Image Reduction Function

- Orbiter (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Auto Size (Off/ Natural / Wide-Zoom)

- Side Mask Detection (Mode 1 – for black side masks / Mode 2 – for black & illustrated side masks)

- Side Mask Brightness Sync (Fixed / Auto)

- Video Pattern (White Bar)

- Game Control Preference (AV Selection: only Game) (Off / On)

- Fine Tune Setting for ultimate picture control of color temperature, noise reduction and color management

- Intelligent Mode (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Room Light Sensor & New External Color Sensor (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

See less See more
#18,903 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy /forum/post/16776330

like "The African Queen".

I believe in general you're correct. Fortunately for Bogart/Hepburn fans the AQ is available in the US (from Amazon and B&N) although the transfer seems to be of mysterious provenance and technical reviews are mixed.

#18,906 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/16775658

Yes, and don't forget the old "be kind, rewind" if I remember Blockbuster and other rental stores all charged around $1 for rentals that were not rewound.

VHS sure did suck but we did not know any better, it sure was better than nothing!

Lets see , hmmm ...... I think the last time I owned a VCR was 1988 , when I was 18 .

Geez, I remember when my grandmother got one of the first microwave ovens ever produced.

Dang , it sucks getting old..... and that reminds me, I had one of Sony's very first walkman CD player.

Is that right? Name a few, hmm actually id be impressed if you can name one. [URL='http:/smileys/img/2464/m09j0128lzji/smile.gif%5B/IMG']http://*****************/smileys/img/2464/m09j0128lzji/smile.gif[/IMG[/URL] ]
[/QUOTE]

Why stop at one? Why not 200

[URL='http://www.tcm.com/top/notondvd/']http://www.tcm.com/top/notondvd/[/URL]

#18,907 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1LSS /forum/post/16777800

This is a moving target. Some of those films are available on DVD. And some probably aren't classics to anyone but their fans (Troy Donahue!). But there are excellent (un-Sweded) films on VHS or LD not otherwise available. Likewise with music not on CD.

I do wish the PIP function preserved aspect ratio though (at least it doesn't look like it to me). I'd prefer to watch bad transfers on the "small" screen.

#18,908 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1515 /forum/post/16776418

Quick question when I put my ear up against the plasma with the power turned on I hear a slight buzz. I have the Pro-110FD. Does anyone else experience the same thing?

Is this a joke? I don't mean to offend if it's not.... but there are whole threads about buzz in Pioneer panels. It's a pretty common topic of conversation with these things. If you only hear it when you put your ear up close, that's probably better than normal.

#18,909 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom /forum/post/16777857

I do wish the PIP function preserved aspect ratio though (at least it doesn't look like it to me). I'd prefer to watch bad transfers on the "small" screen.

Don't you have an Oppo 83? (Sorry if I'm mistaken....but I thought I recall you discussing it.) It has some interesting "Zoom" settings, at least one of which lets you shrink the image considerably. I wondered what I'd ever use it for when I was playing with it, but what you seem to be requesting would be the ideal application.

#18,910 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy /forum/post/16773753

I can see how someone could get to 11 quite easily. I have 9:

Pioneer 151FD

Motorola cable DVR

Pioneer LaserDisc player (used every now and then for stuff I own still not on DVD or Blu-Ray)

Zektor HDMI/audio switch

Rotel RSP-1098 processor/preamp

Sony HD radio

XM satellite radio

Oppo 981H for my region 2 standard DVDs

Oppo 983 for Blu-Ray and everything else.

+1

Currently I have 9 components in the rack and that's after reducing the number of components over the past several years.

#18,911 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy /forum/post/16776330

Actually there are a whole lot of movies worth watching that are not on DVD at all and never have been (at least in North America), like "The African Queen".

These days, there's no reason to limit yourself to region-specific DVDs. I order from the UK, German, French, and Japanese Amazon sites on a fairly regular basis. The African Queen on DVD:

I do take your point. I know that many people might have a short wish list of flicks that never came out on DVD, but I really doubt that it amounts to "a lot" for most people. (Even the one I'd most want, Soderberg's King of the Hill, is available as a PAL German import. But now I'm waiting for the BD.
))

#18,912 ·
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone has had a 151 calibrated in the greater pittsburgh area. Am scheduled to get it done by Best Buy. Any thoughts/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

A more basic question is that once it is calibrated does it add that in the menu (day/night settings?).

I am using it in a room with a huge range of brightness (afternoon bright sun)

Thanks

#18,913 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog /forum/post/16778057

These days, there's no reason to limit yourself to region-specific DVDs. I order from the UK, German, French, and Japanese Amazon sites on a fairly regular basis. The African Queen on DVD:

I do take your point. I know that many people might have a short wish list of flicks that never came out on DVD, but I really doubt that it amounts to "a lot" of most most people. (Even the one I'd most want, Soderberg's King of the Hill, is available as a PAL German import. But now I'm waiting for the BD.
))

I buy from overseas too but a lot of people don't like the 4% speedup of PAL movies. Even when available, some of the foreign versions are pretty poor transfers. There are some films not available from anywhere (except in bootleg or pirated versions) like "Song of the South".

#18,914 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdoc /forum/post/16778153

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone has had a 151 calibrated in the greater pittsburgh area. Am scheduled to get it done by Best Buy. Any thoughts/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

A more basic question is that once it is calibrated does it add that in the menu (day/night settings?).

I am using it in a room with a huge range of brightness (afternoon bright sun)

Thanks

Most here will urge you to avoid the BB folks. They are not known for their calibration prowess.

What you're asking about is ISF calibration. Some calibrators do it, some don't; you have to ask. The ISF-Day and ISF-Night settings aren't really about brightness. Those are just labels for two of the ISF memories available on each input (ISF-Auto is also available). They can be differentially calibrated however you want, or exactly the same. You'd want to to talk to your calibrator about your use and preferences.

#18,917 ·
I have had the pleasure of going home after work and enjoying my professionally calibrated Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD for a couple weeks now. I now owe Shawn Byrne (SierraMikeBravo) a review as I am more then satisfied!

Shawn was very professional and personable. He contacted me several times before the calibration to answer any of my questions and also learn what setup I had so he could do research before arriving and maximize his time at my house. He made sure I got the most out of my money and explained each step he was doing and even spent time to discuss my current setup (audio and TV positioning) and possible upgrade ideas. Lastly, since the calibration, he has called to ensure I was satisfied and I will definitely call him for any AV questions.

I was debating if a calibration would be worth the cost and now that I have experienced the before and after, there is no doubt that every penny is worth it. I notice so much more detail on very dark and bright scenes watching HD cable and there are too many improvements in Blu-rays to even begin. Flesh tones look amazing and it's always fun to see the before and after calibration reports.

If you are in the region that Shawn services, please give him a call or check out his site. ( http://www.soundadviceht.com ) Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Adam

p.s. htwaits - will you please post this over in the Customer Reports Post #2 so others can enjoy the services offered by Shawn!

#18,918 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1LSS /forum/post/16777800

http://www.tcm.com/top/notondvd/

lol! Heck, all 200 in that list could be released on blu-ray disc tomorrow and zero of them would make it into my collection.

The oldest movie in my collection is 1941, Citizen Kane.

I have one movie from the 50's , The Searcher's 1956.

I have 2 movies from the 60's , both 1962 ,To Kill a Mockingbird and Lawrence of Arabia.

Of those the only one that I think is a great movie is To Kill a Mockingbird.

#18,919 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiape /forum/post/16778280

I have had the pleasure of going home after work and enjoying my professionally calibrated Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD for a couple weeks now. I now owe Shawn Byrne (SierraMikeBravo) a review as I am more then satisfied!
Quote:
p.s. htwaits – will you please post this over in the Customer Reports Post #2 so others can enjoy the services offered by Shawn!

Haven't I always?

Anyone wanting to check out owner reviews can use the link at the bottom of my post.