AVS Forum banner

360 Elites disappearing?

2K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  formulanerd 
#1 ·
 http://xbox360tracker.com/elite/

Dell has sold out and removed the elite off its website, both bundles on amazon.com are now gone - and look at all the other sites with no more elites!

whats goin on?

#3 ·
They might have removed them because they weren't selling. I sure never saw them selling in significant amounts in my area. In fact, when there was a shortage in the local retailers, you were more likely to find an Elite console on the shelves here than a regular one. Best Buy still has the regular Elite package and a GOTY bundle on their website as does Gamestop so I'm guessing they just liquidated their supply to make room for things that will sell.

#4 ·
A major change is coming. Pricing needs to drop since the PS3 is also changing it's price. The old Elite may become the new Pro. Who knows but something is up.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16800135

A major change is coming. Pricing needs to drop since the PS3 is also changing it's price. The old Elite may become the new Pro. Who knows but something is up.

what major change?

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16800135

When did they say the price is dropping for the PS3 and why do you think they need to react to a PS3 price drop that again hasn't been announced?

Nothing out there tells us what models are selling the most but the 360 has been selling YOY better here Since November 08 and it was just announced they have been the top seller in the U.K for 2009. So how do you come to a possible conclusion they are reacting to a price drop that hasn't been announced? For all we know Dell could have had 4 left in stock and they don't really have any more at this time in stock lol.

#7 ·
I read rumors a few months ago that MS might phase out the Elite. It kind of makes sense. The system doesn't have much going for it now versus the Pro, except a bigger hard drive, but nowadays the Pro comes with 60gb so the differentiation wasn't there when it was 20 & 120. The fancy color is nice but I imagine MS would want to cut SKUs and focus on the cheaper offerings to focus on getting this thing in as many homes as possible.

#8 ·
that does make sense but with the introduction of downloadable games from XBL instead of having cd's and the release of project natal, you'd think they would release a newer xbox with a bigger HD soon

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwind /forum/post/16800218

that does make sense but with the introduction of downloadable games from XBL instead of having cd's and the release of project natal, you'd think they would release a newer xbox with a bigger HD soon

Project Natal isn't coming out anytime soon, and discs are still going to be the primary medium on which 360 games are released. We'll see but I think Microsoft can get rid of the Elite now and introduce someting with the Natal later and come out alright.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife /forum/post/16800390

I think Ars Technica said the Elites were going away, and the Pro would have the 120GB HDD... Their console hardware rumors have been spot on so far, so I'm guessing the Halo/Fable bundle was to clear out the remaining inventory.

I remember that article also. The Elite is supposed to replace the Pro at $299.00 in September. The Pro will no longer be available.

#14 ·
...plus, the mythical price drop on the other box was yet again shot down by the head man himself; all they're doing is a bundle similar to the Elite GOTY bundle.

MS *is* obviously looking to reposition their lineup since, as prices drop, the differential between models goes away and can only muddy the market. Realistically, with Arcade running $200 and an "Elite" at $299, there isn't much room for a Pro at $249.

At this point the only question is what will the $299 360 look like; white or black? Will it include the audio-out dongle or not? In other words, will it be a true Elite of just a 120Gb Pro?

September is not far away but the real fun starts next month; expect serious deals clearing out the older SKUs...

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife /forum/post/16801895

Ah, that's right, the pro is going away. For some reason I thought the Elite was....

You thought so because before the Ars Technica article, that was the expectation, based on the fact that nobody had seen any Jasper Elites.

Could still be true, depending on how they configure the $299 sku.

#17 ·
I heard that a new Sku is coming that will incorporate "Project Natal" somehow perhaps it will be the new "elite" although I can't see it been ready by the holiday season...interesting.

#18 ·
Supports the rumor that a $199 Arcade & $299 Elite will be the only two consoles sold this fall/winter. The Pro is rumoured to no longer be sold. The new $299 Elite was also rumoured to be white not black.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calv1n /forum/post/16802909

I heard that a new Sku is coming that will incorporate "Project Natal" somehow perhaps it will be the new "elite" although I can't see it been ready by the holiday season...interesting.

What is "Project Natal"?

I googled this: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/projectnatal/

But I was wondering - same form factor as current 360?

Any other info?

Mike

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI /forum/post/16803337

What is "Project Natal"?

I googled this: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/projectnatal/

But I was wondering - same form factor as current 360?

Any other info?

Mike

Welcome back from the rock you've been under

It's an add-on to the 360 and should work with all of them. Lots of info around, and even an "official" natal thread somewhere around here. Ah, here it is:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1152362

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/16803313

Supports the rumor that a $199 Arcade & $299 Elite will be the only two consoles sold this fall/winter. The Pro is rumoured to no longer be sold. The new $299 Elite was also rumoured to be white not black.

If it's white it is not an Elite

I'm sure the hardware specs will be a white Elite, but it will probably say PRO on the box.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/16801047

...plus, the mythical price drop on the other box was yet again shot down by the head man himself; all they're doing is a bundle similar to the Elite GOTY bundle.

MS *is* obviously looking to reposition their lineup since, as prices drop, the differential between models goes away and can only muddy the market. Realistically, with Arcade running $200 and an "Elite" at $299, there isn't much room for a Pro at $249.

At this point the only question is what will the $299 360 look like; white or black? Will it include the audio-out dongle or not? In other words, will it be a true Elite of just a 120Gb Pro?

September is not far away but the real fun starts next month; expect serious deals clearing out the older SKUs...

Well I picked one up today, and paid $399 for it.

It is black, has Jasper Chipset, and comes only with STANDARD A/V cable, no audio dongle.

I'm happy that it's a Jasper, but I'm pissed that it didn't come with the Audio Dongle.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 /forum/post/17051204

It is black, has Jasper Chipset, and comes only with STANDARD A/V cable, no audio dongle.

I'm happy that it's a Jasper, but I'm pissed that it didn't come with the Audio Dongle.

Isn't the new price for that elite supposed to be $299.?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng /forum/post/17051245

Isn't the new price for that elite supposed to be $299.?

I believe so.

In retrospect now, I do not think Best Buy was supposed to have these out yet.

They were having a problem scanning the serial #, and mentioned that they had been having this problem, a manager overrode the serial # and I was out the door today.

I'm certainly going to go back and get my $100 back once the price drops.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 /forum/post/17051204

Cool.

Thanks for the update.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.