AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung BD-P3600 Owners/Master thread

591K views 3K replies 688 participants last post by  chroma601 
#1 ·
#927 ·
I updated mine and the only thing I thought was annoying was that it set all my options back to factory defaults... Not too much of a problem since I only got this unit about 2 weeks ago, but would have been more annoying had I had it longer...

I re-entered my network info and was back in business in no time... Tried out You Tube real quick and it works quite well! Haven't played a disc yet or checked out Netflix or Pandora (I don't have a BB account), but all 3 worked fine for me before the update, so here's to hoping that doesn't change!

#929 ·
Been lucky so far, download and install completed ok. Only problem so far, Blockbuster on demand will not activate. Tried two different codes and both are invalid. Dont know whose screwup this is yet.

My only other gripes so far is the remote has no tv codes for new Panasonic tv and there is no screen saver for pandora.

#930 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdoc /forum/post/17118008

It prompted me for the update, I let it do it!!!!!!!!

It turned itself off after and then, when I turn it back on it just says "LOAD" cant get it to do anything else. Samsung Support was not helpful, got the "Sir you can send it in for service" pitch!

Ok, too many complaints like this from people that upgraded their firmwares directly.

For future references everyone- please update your firmwares via USB. Too many people have ended up with bricked units when upgrading directly.

#931 ·
Last person who updated via USD drive had problems.

I had no problems with the updates itself. I'm just tired of having to redo settings every time I do a firmware update. Never have to with any of my other players.

S~

#932 ·
Downloaded the latest update today for my Samsung - now I've got YouTube, Blockbuster in addition to Netflix and Pandora.

Has anyone else noticed a DRAMATIC drop in quality of Pandora?

If you have a Samsung, and you only have the two choices (Netflix and Pandora) and you don't need YouTube/Blockbuster, my advice:

DON'T UPGRADE!!!!!

I don't think I'll ever listen to Pandora via my Samsung again. The quality is now only marginal. I'm guessing they reduced the quality of their codecs so they could stream to more people with less bandwidth. The highs are gone - it sounds like I'm listening to it over a pair of $20 speakers.

DON'T UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE!!!!!!!!

#933 ·
My update went fine and Pandora/Netflix/YouTube work, but only for a short time then I get a message that the network is "unstable" or is "not configured correctly" and the only way to reset it is to power toggle the unit (it used to be that when this happened I could just re-engage the feature). Good grief.

#935 ·
Ok, think we're only hearing problems / complaints here too, so bear that in mind. I did the upgrade last night via USB. Went perfectly. I don't have a BB account so didn't activate that. Pandora checked immediately afterwards for about 15 minutes - flawless as before. Netflix - went in and browsed my 'online' queue - saw all the titles no issues there. Started Youtube - LOVE THAT FEATURE! Now this is pretty cool - linked it to my online account and started showing my wife my faves. She loved it - then we searched for 'puggle', and then she wanted the remote. An hour later very happy with the experience. One other thing - like anything else, you get better at the remote with practice. I find I like the 'phone' type of typing better than the whole keyboard on the screen - think its faster.

Thank you SAMSUNG!

#936 ·
Check out Pandora a little longer than 15 minutes and you will probably find, as I did, that it will eventually lock up your player with this new firmware. Try this to speed up the lock-up. Start playing songs, and use the skip function on your remote to go to the next song. After about 5 or 6 songs, your player will totally lockup. You can't EXIT Pandora when that happens. You can only power down your player and power it back up to get it working again.

#937 ·
There are Samsung Techs that started a forum on CNET and are awaiting feedback on the Firmware upgrade. Post your Pandora problems there so they can look into it.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0....forums06;posts

BTW, the Samsung Tech said that Firmware 2.02 is for the following:

-A/V sync issues

-Title compatibility

-NTP should be defaulted to on after reset or power failure

-Error msg "your Netflix Keys have been hacked"

-Blockbuster and YouTube support

#938 ·
Mine bricked its self yesterday. I used the USB firmware load.

Called Samsung and was informed I was 2 days outside of the 90 day maintenance warranty and it will be $85 to correct the issue from their own upgrade....

On hold waiting for a manager/higher up to see if I can wrangle it for free.

I am less than pleased.

#941 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder /forum/post/17120422

Check out Pandora a little longer than 15 minutes and you will probably find, as I did, that it will eventually lock up your player with this new firmware. Try this to speed up the lock-up. Start playing songs, and use the skip function on your remote to go to the next song. After about 5 or 6 songs, your player will totally lockup. You can't EXIT Pandora when that happens. You can only power down your player and power it back up to get it working again.

Already did - we leave this playing during the day throughout the house - came home now and its running fine. Sorry.

#945 ·
well i installed the upgrade, everything works for a while, but while listening to pandora after 15 min music stops playing and i get a message the network is unstable. I have to turn off the player and then back on and it starts working fine again till the next 15 min goes by!!!

#946 ·
Are you on wireless? I experienced this Pre-Upgrade on my wireless at various times of day (perhaps more people jump onto their wireless in the early evenings, causing wireless traffic jams!). Other times, the service worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, now with the upgraded firmware, it sounds tinny, the highs are mesh together, very unhappy...

If you are on wireless, one thing to check is your signal strength. Mine runs very weak with the samsung wireless adapter (1 bar) even though my laptop in the same room has 3-4 bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb2428 /forum/post/17121761

well i installed the upgrade, everything works for a while, but while listening to pandora after 15 min music stops playing and i get a message the network is unstable. I have to turn off the player and then back on and it starts working fine again till the next 15 min goes by!!!

#947 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancon /forum/post/17121867

it sounds tinny, the highs are mesh together, very unhappy...

If you are on wireless, one thing to check is your signal strength. Mine runs very weak with the samsung wireless adapter (1 bar) even though my laptop in the same room has 3-4 bars.

The signal weakness is likely your problem. Pandora would reduce the bit rate to account for the low wireless throughput. As others have stated, pandora sounds great for me, but I'm wired.

#948 ·
Wow. I'm so glad I checked here before running the firmware upgrade -- I'll definitely hold off until Samsung (hopefully) corrects whatever the issue is. I'd love to add the YouTube and Blockbuster functionality, but I just got the 3600 to replace my PS3 after its Blu-ray drive died so I'm certainly not going to risk bricking it.

#949 ·
Upgraded over internet last night, no problems. For those still waiting to upgrade, here has been what I have found from my testing...

Network:

-No change really, Automatic doesn't find anything. Manual works the same way.

AVCHD:

-The AVCHD lockup problem that I was having with 1.03 seems to be gone.

MKV:

-Both 1080p and 720p avc files seem to play. The further off-spec the AVC encode is, the more problems the player has playing. Files I encoded a couple of years ago(not SA specs) don't always play so well, where as all my recently encoded stuff plays fine.

-All my 1080p files play with correct aspect ratio(2.35, 1.85, etc).

-720p files had some aspect ratio problems. 1280x720, 1280x692 and 1280x688 all play with correct aspect, but files with small vertical resolution played as 4/3 (1280x544, 1280x536, 1280x528). I haven't verified this, but I suspect that any AVC file with a vertical resolution less than 576 will play as 4/3.

-Codecs other than AVC in the MKV container do not appear to work. AC3 seems to bitstream but DTS(1.5) does not.

-Chapters did not seem to work, and one MKV didn't allow me to FF.

Divx:

-Hi Res divx does not work.

-Packed Bitstream Xvid files now seem to be choppy on playback. I had no problem playing them with 1.03. Fixing the files is really easy, so this is just a minor annoyance for files on a share or drive. Files that are burnt to disk would be a bit more annoying to fix.

Youtube:

-Seems to work.

I'm still testing so I will post if I find anything else interesting.

{Cap}

#950 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancon /forum/post/17121867

Are you on wireless? I experienced this Pre-Upgrade on my wireless at various times of day (perhaps more people jump onto their wireless in the early evenings, causing wireless traffic jams!). Other times, the service worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, now with the upgraded firmware, it sounds tinny, the highs are mesh together, very unhappy...

UPDATE

Just got off the phone with sammy, they had me do a couple things which did not fix the problem. Yes im wireless with a great 5 bar signel, I even found out that the player no longer will play avi files from my network, they play for a couple minutes then stop. Later tonight i will go hard wired with a ethernet cable and see if that does anything. Anyway sammy said they know of these issues and are working on a patch to fix these problems...gee i wonder how long that will take and why oh why they released this damn upgrade without testing it first!!!!

For anybody reading this DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPGRADE!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.