151FD Product Brochure

The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread

The Official 9G Pioneer General Discussion Thread

9G Elite Reviews

D-Nice's Review of the Pro-111FD

Sound and Vision's Review of the Pro-111FD

Ultimate AV's review of the Pro-111FD

CNet's review of the Pro-111FD

It seems I'm the first to get the PRO-151FD in this forum so I figured I'd start the Thread.

First impressions:

Can notice blacker blacks over 5010. It's hard to tell were the bezel ends with the black bars.

Initial start up is set to performance mode.

While in the menu. Very slight buzz when you put your head behind the set. Can't hear it in front at all. Haven't try TV or video yet but I will before I start break-in.

Update regarding buzz:

While running the break-in disc, I do hear a buzz which does change pitch from dark to light screens, light screens higher pitch, but I have to be 2 to 3 feet from the front to hear it and it's the same as my 5010. My DVR box is louder then the buzz.

Not the brightest backlite remote I've seen. It's a little hard to see if the room is very dark.

I like the menus better then the 5010. I didn't care for the windows xp-ish menus in the 5010.

It has a great tool menu that comes up from the bottom during viewing which you can change settings like picture mode and screen size. Here's the post of the picture. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=10

PRO-111FD/151FD Specs:

- High-Definition 1080p Resolution (1920 x 1080p)

- 50”/60" Diagonal Class / 16:9 Wide-Screen Aspect Ratio

- 1080 Progressive Image Reproduction with ability to accept 480i / 480p / 720p / 1080i / and TRUE 1080p 24fps signals

- New Deeper, Intense Blacks for Unmatched Contrast (5x Previous Generation)

- New Thinner Cosmetic Design with ››Elegant Acrylic Bezel

- New, Improved Optimum Mode. Automatically analyses and adjusts audio and video settings according to specific room light conditions and type of light and color. Program content is also monitored and finely adjusted so movies, sports and news are all faithfully reproduced. Includes OSD with status.

- New External Color Sensor

- Room Light Sensor for automatic picture adjustment adjustment

- PureCinema Smooth Film Motion mode to eliminate motion jutter in 3:2 Pulldown (60Hz) providing natural even playback of content created on film

- 4 Independent HDMI 1.3 inputs with HDMI-CEC control and the ability ››to accept 1080p 24/60Hz signal

- Standard 3:2 (60Hz) and Advanced PureCinema with 3:3 Pulldown (72Hz) for accurate playback of film content

- Fully integrated ATSC and NTSC Tuner with Clear QAM

- Home Media Gallery – offering a multimedia experience to enjoy movies, music and photos through an existing home network or USB memory device

- ISFccc Calibration Ready for professional customization of plasma picture according to personal preferences for contrast, tint, color as well as room conditions for both day and nighttime viewing. Includes:

- Independent Gamma Control (R / G / B) for heightened color ––calibration

- V-Chip Parental Control

- Remote Control – Illuminated / Preset Mode / Learning Mode

- New Advanced Redesigned GUI

- A/V Selection Memory – 10 options for viewing preferences: Optimum / Performance / Sports / Movie / PURE / Game / Standard*/ ISF-Day / ISF-Night / ISF-Auto (PC input: only Standard)

- Aspect Ratio Control – 9 positions: Auto* / Full / “Dot by Dot” / Zoom* / Cinema* / 4:3 / Wide* (only for SD) / Wide1* (only for HD) / Wide2* (only for HD) *Except PC signal

- Advanced Picture-in-Picture (4 positions), Picture-side-Picture for use with Home Media Gallery & Broadcast and Still Picture capability

- After-Image Reduction Function

- Orbiter (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Auto Size (Off/ Natural / Wide-Zoom)

- Side Mask Detection (Mode 1 – for black side masks / Mode 2 – for black & illustrated side masks)

- Side Mask Brightness Sync (Fixed / Auto)

- Video Pattern (White Bar)

- Game Control Preference (AV Selection: only Game) (Off / On)

- Fine Tune Setting for ultimate picture control of color temperature, noise reduction and color management

- Intelligent Mode (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Room Light Sensor & New External Color Sensor (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

See less See more
#20,264 ·
ControlCAL User's Guide Here

#20,267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog /forum/post/17203528

EDIT: I just tried putting it on MediaFire . Let me know if that works okay.

OUTSTANDING!
Thanks progprog, that is very helpful and concise, great job!
Worked fine, btw.

#20,269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/17204620

ControlCAL User's Guide Here

Thanks for the link -- I just have never gotten around to using CC and with this guide, I can be motivated to use CC.

MikeSp

#20,270 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp /forum/post/17206737

Thanks for the link -- I just have never gotten around to using CC and with this guide, I can be motivated to use CC.

MikeSp

Perhaps if you need more motivation, I will call you

#20,271 ·
Well, Jeff (Umr) just finished calibrating my Kuro 151. He initially calibrated it last year when I had about 400 hrs on it. It's now a year later and many more hours have been put on the tv.

To my surprise, I lost light output over this time. It was originally calibrated for 40 ftl isf day. It dropped to 27ftl in 1 year! He brought it back to 44 ftl. The grayscale drifted a bit to the blue side,but nothing drastic. After these adjustments, he used a new set of tools/technics to calibrate the color space and WOW, what a difference overall ! I have never seen the picture look sooooo natural. Unbelievably so. I wasn't expecting this much of an improvement. He never ceases to amaze me with his arsenal of tricks and tools.

On a side note, If you have orbiter 2 engaged, change it to orbiter 1 asap. Orbiter 2 mode is constantly changing sharpness level quite a bit every second or so.. Not a pretty site on the test image he used to prove it to me.

For the record, he loved the LG 390 Blu-ray player I have. It was his first exposure to it and it blew him away. It passed all his stress tests and real image observations.. It is now on his list of highly recommended players.

Jeff, this has been your 5th visit to my home (several tv's and audio) and your visits have been very much appreciated and so well worth it. You out did yourself again and I couldn't be happier with the results.

#20,272 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 /forum/post/17207338

Well, Jeff (Umr) just finished calibrating my Kuro 151. He initially calibrated it last year when I had about 400 hrs on it.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it as Part II in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Enjoy.

#20,273 ·
Hey guys. i just bought The New World on bluray and the movie is 3 hours long. will i be ok watching this movie for that long and not get IR or burn in? i've only had my 151 for 2 months and i try to be careful with movies that have black bars.

PQ on this movie is beautiful, im just afraid to watch it

#20,274 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano /forum/post/17207552

Hey guys. i just bought The New World on bluray and the movie is 3 hours long. will i be ok watching this movie for that long and not get IR or burn in? i've only had my 151 for 2 months and i try to be careful with movies that have black bars.

PQ on this movie is beautiful, im just afraid to watch it

It'll be fine. Just watch some football or something afterward!
The whole idea isn't to avoid masking bars, but just to use common sense and mix it up. Don't let these concerns keep you from watching any movie you want to watch on your Kuro.

I agree about The New World, BTW. The Dark Knight has been my reference blu-ray, but I think this one now takes its place. Terrence Malick's movies are like moving paintings, even on SD-DVD, and this, his first on BD, is absolutely stunning.

#20,275 ·
Hi Guys:

Just unpacked and installed my new PRO-151FD yesterday. Its my first experience with plasma's having come from the RPTV world. Some observations:

1. No dead pixels so far

2. The buzz (sigh!) Any solutions while maintaining the classic KURO image?

3. The plasma screen emits a large sum of heat
Is this normal? Warms up my small 1 bedroom apartment a bit, unfortunately heat will not be of use in year round sunny cali

4. The plasma screen is BIG coming from a 50' RPTV!!! My brain will need time to get used to this size
Suprisingly, it looked smaller at BB

5. Out of box colors produced an OK picture in PURE mode but using D-Nice's suggested settings for the PRO-111 improved the image, though skin tones are somewhat reddish pn my 151. Happy with it for now, until I have it calibrated after I finish the BI process.

6. My software version was 0901-xxxx. The manual and Pioneer site said it should be 0905-xxxx. So, when was my TV made? Is it a dinasaur?

7. Ticker tapes at bottom of TV are jerky! This never happened on my Sony RPTV. How can I fix this?????? Its really distracting and irritating.

8. I tried for hours to find out why my remote was unresponsive to the TV when I pointed it at the blue light on the left side of the screen....only to find out he remote sensor is on the right side of the screen a day later (lol)!

Thanks all,

David

#20,276 ·
congratulations on the tv.

When was your kuro manufactured? mine was march 2009. is the new firmware a required update?

I haven't checked my tv to see which software i have. i dont think its a big deal though.

#20,277 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke /forum/post/17207645

Hi Guys:

Just unpacked and installed my new PRO-151FD yesterday. Its my first experience with plasma's having come from the RPTV world. Some observations:

1. No dead pixels so far

2. The buzz (sigh!) Any solutions while maintaining the classic KURO image?

3. The plasma screen emits a large sum of heat
Is this normal? Warms up my small 1 bedroom apartment a bit, unfortunately heat will not be of use in year round sunny cali

4. The plasma screen is BIG coming from a 50' RPTV!!! My brain will need time to get used to this size
Suprisingly, it looked smaller at BB

5. Out of box colors produced an OK picture in PURE mode but using D-Nice's suggested settings for the PRO-111 improved the image, though skin tones are somewhat reddish pn my 151. Happy with it for now, until I have it calibrated after I finish the BI process.

6. My software version was 0901-xxxx. The manual and Pioneer site said it should be 0905-xxxx. So, when was my TV made? Is it a dinasaur?

7. Ticker tapes at bottom of TV are jerky! This never happened on my Sony RPTV. How can I fix this?????? Its really distracting and irritating.

Thanks all,

David

1. Good!

2. Try Energy Mode 2. It usually helps a lot.

3. Yes, they can run pretty hot. Oddly my smaller panel emits even more heat than my 151. Must just be a panel variance thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. You'll get used to it REAL quick!

5. D-Nice has posted settings specifically for the 151s. You could try those, or settings others have posted.

6. The manufacture date is indicated on a sticker both on the back of the panel, as well as on the outside of the box. It's not at all unusual to get one that was made months ago, even last year. That's just how they seem to come out of distribution.

7. Try a different Pure Cinema Film mode. (MENU>Setup>Picture>Pro Adjust>Pure Cinema>Film Mode) Those settings can have a big impact on the way motion is perceived, and some people are very sensitive to the effects some modes produce.

Hey...congrats on your new toy!!

#20,278 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano /forum/post/17207701

congratulations on the tv.

When was your kuro manufactured? mine was march 2009. is the new firmware a required update?

I haven't checked my tv to see which software i have. i dont think its a big deal though.

Hey Soprano:

Alot of the latest FW changes were to improve the tuner speed and performance. Not sure what else it fixes but the website tells all. FW was introduced March/April 2009(check website). Best to have the 151 with the latest FW even though you might not need its features, imho
Upgrade is very easy via USB.

David

#20,279 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog /forum/post/17207709

1. Good!

2. Try Energy Mode 2. It usually helps a lot.

3. Yes, they can run pretty hot. Oddly my smaller panel emits even more heat than my 151. Must just be a panel variance thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. You'll get used to it REAL quick!

5. D-Nice has posted settings specifically for the 151s. You could try those, or settings others have posted.

6. The manufacture date is indicated on a sticker both on the back of the panel, as well as on the outside of the box. It's not at all unusual to get one that was made months ago, even last year. That's just how they seem to come out of distribution.

7. Try a different Pure Cinema Film mode. (MENU>Setup>Picture>Pro Adjust>Pure Cinema>Film Mode) Those settings can have a big impact on the way motion is perceived, and some people are very sensitive to the effects some modes produce.

Hey...congrats on your new toy!!

Thanks progprog, will update features per your suggestions tomorrow AM. BTW, what is the link to D-Nice's settings for a new uncalibrated 151?

David