AVS Forum banner
5M views 32K replies 4K participants last post by  bradman 
#1 ·
#26,821 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy /forum/post/17308992

You can't compare a PTV with an 120 Hz LCD that has "AMP" or "motion-flow" or the like.... that feature produces an artificial "3D" or "live video" appearance.

I tend to disagree. Here's a rather accurate image of my over 8 foot wide screen.

#26,822 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy /forum/post/17308992

You can't compare a PTV with an 120 Hz LCD that has "AMP" or "motion-flow" or the like.... that feature produces an artificial "3D" or "live video" appearance.

Exactly; unfortunately, many people get used to the Discovery HD programming, mostly made with non-film, HD-video cameras. That is commonly referred to as "pop" or "3D." In fact, many like it so much, they actually prefer that movies (made with film) look the same way. Many feel that the higher refresh rates so commonly used with modern LCD HDTVs actually make film look like these non-film sources. Therefore, I also concur with what rdclark said about it actually be "flawed."

#26,824 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn /forum/post/17308882

Wireless G is too slow for HD video. 480i or 480o is OK, but nothing faster than that can make it over wireless G (so obviously Wireless B or A would be even worse).

A wired connection to the PS3 should be fast enough for HD streaming 100T or 1GB. Wireless N would probably have enough bandwidth for streaming HD video.

I guess it depends on what you call HD.

I occasionally put my BR discs on a server and compress them down to about 5GB (720P with DTS or DD 640K audio). They are in m2ts format.

The PS3 does struggle a bit to play them over 802.11g since I get occasionally stuttering etc but when it's okay the PQ is pretty good.

OTOH I also have a PC connected to the same server with a 802.11a connection. I run a web server (Swisscenter) on that PC and have a Popcorn Hour connected to the PC over a 100Mbs connection (cross over cable). So the web server accesses the content over the wireless (A) connection but the media player (and the PS3 would be no different if I connected it) accesses the media server over a hardwired connection.

Playing the same m2ts content, the picture is stable, there is no stuttering etc. I suspect it's because the 802.11a connection is just more robust, has the same effective speed as 802.11g but is immune to other networks (fewer folks use it), other devices like cordless phone, microwaves etc all in the 2.4GHz spectrum.

The PCH versus the PS3 also buffers the video since it does take a minute or so to start playing when you fire up a video. But I can also skip back and forwards and only take a 10s or so for the video to seek back to the point of interest.

Of course neither connection can handle the raw video stream on the BR title which well exceeds the capability of a/g wireless and might even tax N.

#26,825 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn /forum/post/17309036

The 40GB and 80GB models made in the last 2 years or so have a chip set that uses less power and the fans remain ultra quiet whether playing Blu-ray or DVD - you RARELY hear anybody with one of these later PS3s complaining about fan noise.

I can personally vouch of the utter quietness of the second generation 40 gig PS3. I have had mine for a year and a half and it is as quiet as a stone. The only time I can hear it at all is when I am standing over it to turn it on or off, or to insert or eject a disc. From my usual sitting position, about 9 feet away from it, my PS3 produces no audible sound.

#26,826 ·
Where did the "Use these settings:" list go to?

I got my new Denon and can't find anything that gives details on the setup for audio and video output.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

#26,828 ·
First BD purchase: "Slim" PS3 vs. new Sony Network Blu-ray Player BDP-N460?

From a quick read of the last dozen or so pages of this thread, I gather than many agree that the PS3 is a superior choice over most stand-alone players for its extensive built-in feature set (not to mention the included gaming platform!). But does Sony's new "network-enabled" BDP-N460 player help to level the field a bit, or are the file-serving and other CPU-esque attributes of the PS3 still trumping a dedicated player's comparatively limited feature set, in your opinion?

This would be my first BD player purchase (first of, eventually two). I also currently have an XBox Elite and Netflix, but rarely is there anything worth watching on Netflix' streaming offerings anyway. So, I'm, leaning toward the PS3 for its cool GUI and its apparent file-serving features. Plus, even though I have an XBox, it would be fun to play some old PS2 games (if they're even compatible, which I've heard they're not?) or buy a PS3 game or two now and again.

But the look and silence (are stand-alones, in fact quieter than the "slim" PS3?) of stand-alone players also appeal to me. Built-in IR is also nice. Start-up time is also high on the list--is the PS3 still beating Sony's stand-alones in start-up time as well? Although the new, slimmed-down PS3 is slightly more "component-like" in its appearance, it's still hard to resist the sleek cosmetics of a stand-alone player. Though I'm not sure I would have any use for any of the PS3's wireless capabilities, I'm still deciding whether a PS3 as a BD player is the right box for me, in light of the N460's introduction.

Any more comments to push me one way or the other would be most appreciated. Actually, one feature that would push me to decide, is if I could browse the web semi-comfortably using a PS3. Is the PS3's browser tolerable for quick Google/IMDB kinda lookups? There's a BT-enabled PS3 keyboard available for it as well, right? I'll probably eventually end up with both. I'll likely get a slim PS3 for the bedroom (where the main HT set-up is) right now, and a shiny new "network" Sony BDP-N460 stand-alone player for the living room HT set-up later. Thanks for any replies!

POWER:

Power usage comparison between "slim" PS3 and Sony BDP-S360/S560 stand-alone players?

Unfortunately, many CE manufacturers no longer identify Wattage consumption of their products. Specifications only show required voltage. I would assume that a PS3, even a slim one, would likely burn more Watts than a stand-alone player. Anyone have any idea on the Wattage used by a slim PS3 vs. a standard player such as a BDP-S360?

#26,829 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVEL4 /forum/post/17320993

Power usage comparison between "slim" PS3 and Sony BDP-S360/S560 stand-alone players?

Unfortunately, many CE manufacturers no longer identify Wattage consumption of their products. Specifications only show required voltage. I would assume that a PS3, even a slim one, would likely burn more Watts than a stand-alone player. Anyone have any idea on the Wattage used by a slim PS3 vs. a standard player such as a BDP-S360?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10318727-1.html

#26,830 ·
Thanks for the link, Legairre! Interesting link with great information!

So, a new "slim" PS3 uses about 80 Watts of energy vs. a typical stand-alone player's 22 Watts when playing a Blu-ray disc, revealing that the PS3 uses nearly 4x as much energy as a stand-alone player! Although C|net states a "national average energy" estimate of 11.4 cents per kWh, and tells you this only costs you a few dollars per year, that's really not the whole story. That's 11 cents at the customer's "baseline" tier. Most modern households (even relatively "green" ones) will consistently far exceed the energy company's so-called "tier 1" baseline rate. Above tier 1, energy rates increase dramatically, and not very linearly. I'm currently at "tier 6," where every additional kWh I use, costs me 27 cents, more than double the baseline rate. So every Watt counts. Thanks again for the info!

#26,832 ·
New PS3 "slim" vs. new Sony BDP-N460 Network Blu-ray Player: Pros & Cons

PS3 (released Q2 2009, updated "slim" version)

[+]

Price lowered to more competitive $299.

PS3 game console + BD player in single unit with updated hardware in a 33%-reduced form factor.

Netflix-supported, network streaming video (requires special disc be inserted).

Network streaming via host PC/Mac with PlayOn (Win)/MediaLink (OSX).

Multimedia fileserver capability via built-in HDD (upgradeable).

Uses 34% less energy than previous model.

Faster start-up than Sony BDP-N460.

Updatable OS firmware.

Built-in 802.11 b/g WiFi and Bluetooth.

Full-function web browser, usable with optional wired or BT keyboard.

xross media bar GUI.

BRAVIA sync (CEC).

Available now.

[-]

Netflix not available until November 2009.

Netflix viewing requires special Blu-ray disc to be inserted first.

Netflix "embedded firmware" upgrade not due until Q4 2010.

PlayOn/MediaLink requires common router to an "always-on" host PC or Mac.

No IR remote/receiver.

IR-BT adapter required for use with universal IR remote ($14.99 USD).

Non-controller style Sony BT remote must be purchased separately ($24.99 USD).

Bluetooth devices drain batteries more rapidly than IR devices.

High variability reported in degree of fan noise, unit-to-unit (from "DVR-ish" to "loud").

Although some report that "slim" is quieter than "fat," "slim" is still noisier than most stand-alone players.

Uses 3-4x the energy (80 Watts during Blu-ray playback) of a typical stand-alone player.

Third-party OS installation (e.g., Linux) no longer supported.

PS2 games not supported.

Bulky, less "component-ey" cosmetics.

Sony Network Blu-ray Player BDP-N460 (released Q3 2009):

[+]

Moderately priced at

#26,833 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVEL4 /forum/post/17323006

PS3 vs. Network Sony Player: Pros & Cons

PS3 (Q3 2009, updated "slim" version)

[+]

Price lowered to more price-competitive $299.

Audio, video, and stills fileserver capability via built-in HDD.

PS3 game console with updated hardware and reduced form factor.

Full-function web browser, usable with optional wired or BT keyboard.

Rapid start-up.

Xross mediabar.

Available now.

[-]

No IR remote/receiver.

Needs IR-BT adapter to use multi-brand IR remote.

Traditional-style (BT) remote optional (PS3 controller less desirable for BD playback).

Nearly 4x the energy usage (80 Watts) of stand-alone players.

Bulky, less "component-ey" cosmetics.

Sony Network Blu-ray Player BDP-N460 (Q3 2009):

[+]

Only $236.55 (street).

Six-second, "Quick Start," start-up mode.

Energy efficient (approx. 20 Watts).

Uses standard IR remote/receiver.

Sleek, component-style cosmetics.

Near-silent operation.

Network streaming playback device: Netflix, Amazon VOD, YouTube, etc.

USB port allows still photo display via thumbdrive.

Xross mediabar.

Twitter and Facebook "widget" client.

[-]

Not available until mid-October 2009.

Netflix content not available until "fall 2009."

No HDD storage.

Not a game console.

No web browsing capability.

BD Live features require optional USB thumbdrive storage.

[Please feel free to add to this list in subsequent posts--I'll add/edit this post as I learn more about each player here.]

Hmmm, I'd say for a difference of ONLY $50, you'd be insane not to buy the PS3 over the N460.

I'm looking to get my 1st Blu-Ray player and just keep coming back to the PS3. I have a 360 and a Wii, and have no need whatsoever for another gaming console, but now that it's only $299, it just can't be beat!

I personally think that stand-alone networked players need to be at the $200 price point to even begin to compete with the PS3. $250 to $300 for a stand-alone player is just plain retarted in my opinion.

#26,834 ·
Well, I just wanted to get it all on the table so I could really analyze both products. A $50 price difference isn't enough to impact my decision either way. I really like component players. They just look nice, and do what they do simply, and generally really well. And I really like this new N460 player and its promised feature set. Just turn it on and go. No adapters or extra remotes to buy, etc. . . .

But the real kicker is the PS3 console's web browsing ability. I was originally going to buy a pricey little Mac Mini just for the bedroom HT set-up (which of course, doesn't play Blu-ray discs) for quick internet look-ups while watching TV, but, I guess I'm leaning toward the PS3 for right now instead, and the N460 later for the living room.

P.S. Just a polite suggestion--you may want to edit out the quote of my original post (or just quote a brief excerpt), since it's pretty long, and makes the thread a bit less-easy on the eyes.

#26,835 ·
I bought the fist wave 60gig version about 1 1/2 years ago. A game machine for my son, a blu ray player for me. I had no real knowledge of it being any kind of media server at the time, but now, through the use of the server for streaming content from my pc, to netflix, hulu, and south park episodes through playon(best $30 software I've ever bought)...I would say 75% of media use is server, 25% blu ray.

Quite a surprise, and a great bargain.

#26,836 ·
"Download and install PlayOn on your Windows XP or Vista PC . . . On the PS3, the PlayOn Server can be found under the XrossMediaBar > "Video". Make sure "Media Server Connection" is enabled under Settings > Network Settings . . . Make sure your entertainment device has a network connection to the same router that your PlayOn PC is connected to." --PlayOn website.

Interesting. Netflix, Hulu, etc. via PlayOn. Gotta add that to the list--thanks! But this does require that a PC be connected to the PS3, right (via the common router)? And, that the media is actually streamed "through" the PC, then "out" to the console? This means the PC has to be "on" and not crashing or frozen. Since PlayOn is Windows-only, there's also Nullriver's MediaLink (yes, I finally read the FAQ), which offers similar functions for OSX (I dumped all my PCs a year ago and converted the whole house to Macs).

However, power is also really becoming an issue and could be a deciding factor on whether to go this route, since a PS3 console + a PC could total as much a 300-400 Watts vs. the paltry 20-30 Watts needed to run a typical stand-alone player. I'm not really inclined to keep another network device running all the time since I already have "a bunch of stuff" running 24/7 (five STBs, security DVRs, monitors, cameras, splitters, DAs, exterior lighting, etc.). But, thanks for the post--another feature to at least consider!

#26,838 ·
Well, after long and careful review . . . I realized my priorities:

1. Near-silent playback.

2. Plug-and-play, built-in Netflix streaming.

3. Fast start-up (6 seconds). [Edit: an N460 owner posted that, "[The N460] is the same speed as the Sony BDP-S360, which is slower than a PS3 . . ."]

4. Energy efficiency (4x - 20x less energy).

5. Standard IR remote with long-lasting batteries.

6. Sleek, component-style cosmetics, and standard, rectilinear case form factor.

Guess which one I picked? I really don't need another gaming console, but I don't like to power up my jet-engine powered XBox Elite just to watch some crummy Netflix stream either. So the N460 wins! Although I do envy the web browsing ability that the PS3 offers, I guess I'll just have to cough up the cash for that Mac Mini someday (that's how I really wanted to do this anyway). IMO, there's just too much ancillary tinkering to get the desired streaming solutions happening on the console side. Plus, that whole BT remote deal, kludgey, IMO . . . I'm sure, most of you here may disagree with my choice, and I admit, it was a pretty tough decision.

But, my sincere thanks to all the previous posters here who helped me to make such an informed decision! Sorry, but I guess all these posts are in the "wrong" thread, now, huh?

#26,839 ·
Web browsing on the PS3 is suprisingly good. It has it's limitations and hiccups, but I find myself browsing the internet from the comfort of my bed rather than hunched over a computer desk nowdays. I know someone who doesn't even have a computer but is always on the internet via PS3 reading/posting on forums, ordering from Amazon, youtube, etc.

It's text entry is really good. I bought one of those text pad things for it but quickly realised the controller was far better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.