AVS Forum banner

QSC SC-2150 Clone

69K views 225 replies 43 participants last post by  hd0823 
#1 ·

***UPDATED 10/15/2009*** Added pics of the Xover connections to the terminal plate.
***UPDATED 10/18/2009*** Added pics of the rear surround speakers build progress.
***UPDATED 10/20/2009*** Added pics of the completed rear surround speakers.

Well, here are the first 3 of 7 QSC SC-2150 clones. Ever since seeing MKtheater's setup here on AVS, I have been interested in using commercial cinema speakers in my own theater. After I saw Star Trek at IMAX, I knew that this was the way to go.

Current setup at the time consisted of a 7.1 DIY JBL setup that I has built in 2006.

(Qty x3) JBL E100

(Qty x4) JBL E50

I say DIY because I purchased all of the drivers, x-overs, and parts from the harmanaudio.com website and directly through JBL. Luckly, I was able to purchase and build everything at a MUCH LOWER cost vs purchasing them fully built retail. This also gave me the flexibility to build enclosures that suited my space requirements at the time.

The JBL's have been VERY good to me but it was time for an upgrade.

While researching which cinema speakers to buy I stumbled onto the QSC DCS line of cinema speakers and liked what I saw. So I dug a little deeper and found that QSC has an online parts store. This is where I ordered most of the parts for the speakers.

The front 3 speakers measurements are:

LF Enclosure: 30"H x 38.3"W x 14"D

Mid-High system: 17.5"H x 16.5"W x 4.5"D

Tune for LF: 40hz

The rear 4 speakers will be 2 separate enclosures within the columns. Design TBD.

Here are the parts:

Waveguides

Part #: PL-000447-GP

Fits models: DCS SC-2150, HPR-153i

Description of use: These will be used for the front 3 speakers.

Pics:

Part #: SP-000106-GP

Fits models: HPR-122i

Description of use: These will be used for the rear 4 speakers.

Pics:

Crossover

Part #: PA-000210-00

Fits models: DCS SC-2150

Description of use: This xover will be used in all 7 speakers. FYI... should someone want to convert the HPR-153i from amplified to passive, they can use this xover since the HPR-153i uses all of the same drivers and waveguides as the SC-2150.

Pics:

Terminal Plate

Part #: WP-002157-00

Fits models: DCS SC-2150

Description of use: Terminal plate will be used for all 7 speakers. Note that this plate needs to be ordered with the xover in order to make easy use of it's passive and biamp functions.

Pics:

Drivers

All drivers are made by Celestion.

Driver: 1.4" Compression driver (Neodymium)

Part #: SP-000086-GP

Celestion #: CDX1-1425

Fits models: DCS SC-2150, HPR-153i, HPR-122i

Description of use: This will be used in all 7 speakers

Pics:

Driver: 6.5" Mid Range Driver

Part #: SP-000085

Celestion #: TF0615 MR

Description of use: This will be used in all 7 speakers

Pics:

Driver: 15" Woofer

Part #: SP-000084-GP

Celestion #: TF1530

Description of use: This will be used in front 3 speakers

Pics:

Driver: Dayton 12" Woofer Shielded DVC

Part #: SD315-88

Description of use: This will be used in rear 4 speakers. I needed a woofer that could be ported in a small enclosure, dual voice coil (since I would be using 1 woofer per speaker), and cheap!! The 4 rear speakers will be located inside columns.

Pics:

Since everyone here for the most part knows how to build enclosures, I'll just post the pics during the build.

Build Pics

Rear Surround Speakers Progress

Rear Surround Speakers Complete

If you have any questions, let me know.

See less See more
#128 ·
First I want to say great find/build Chuck.
Very nice!

I was piecing out the parts on their site and could not find the crossover and ternimal plate for this build on their site anywhere. Could I get a link for it?

Also the 6.5 mid part # SP-000085 that you have up is the same as part # SP-000085 GP on their site correct? Just checking.

Again great find/build. Once I can off load all my old speakers Ill most definitely be building these monsters. How could you not for around 500 per speaker.

cheers

#129 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by titch-- /forum/post/17427277

First I want to say great find/build Chuck.
Very nice!

I was piecing out the parts on their site and could not find the crossover and ternimal plate for this build on their site anywhere. Could I get a link for it?

Also the 6.5 mid part # SP-000085 that you have up is the same as part # SP-000085 GP on their site correct? Just checking.

Again great find/build. Once I can off load all my old speakers Ill most definitely be building these monsters. How could you not for around 500 per speaker.

cheers

You will have to call their parts department for that. The PN is earlier in the thread.

#130 ·
Yeah I could find the prices of everything eles on their site but just couldnt find those 2 things.

Would it be possible Chuck to get the break down on the price you paid? If its not against the rulez.
Even a pm would do.

I got a local place to get me prices on the parts needed for these, but of course the prices are all jacked up a fair amount for everything.

cheers

#131 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by titch-- /forum/post/17438084

Yeah I could find the prices of everything eles on their site but just couldnt find those 2 things.

Would it be possible Chuck to get the break down on the price you paid? If its not against the rulez.
Even a pm would do.

I got a local place to get me prices on the parts needed for these, but of course the prices are all jacked up a fair amount for everything.

cheers

You don't need to go local to get everything. Just order online.

All you need from QSC are the waveguides, xovers, and terminal plate. The waveguides can be purchased through QSCstore.com. The xovers and terminal plate need to be phoned in to QSC. All of the drivers can be sourced from other online retailers.

Searching this thread will get you the links needed for the drivers along with price.

#133 ·
These are component costs ONLY; not including shipping and handling or building materials...

ItemQSC Part #Celestion Part #LocationQuantityLocationsCostTotal Cost
WaveguidePL-000447-GPMain13$29.94$89.82
WaveguideSP-000106-GPSurround14$6.55$26.20
CrossoverPA-000210-00Both17$65.00$455.00
Terminal PlateWP-002157-00Both17$60.00$420.00
Compression DriverSP-000086-GPCDX1-1425Both17$60.68$424.76
Midrange DriverSP-000085-GPTF0615 MRBoth17$28.80$201.60
WooferSP-000084-GPTF1530Main23$99.25$595.50
SubwooferDaytonSD315-88Surround41$50.92$203.68
$2,416.56

#134 ·
Thanks that is a great summary!

That was the mid ranged used in the surrounds? I thought he used something different.

The same crossover is used for both mains and surrounds?

EDIT: I guess I should just read it myself.....I didnt pay attention

Thanks!

#135 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/17071107

Make sure you try running those speakers on full range. I just tried for the first time running the Dark Night on full range with my front stage and it was the best ever. I did not realize hoe deep my speakers can get. The vocals were the clearest and the dynamics seem to be better overall as well.

I too realized this, even with my little 512's. The sound is soooo much fuller running full range.

#136 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/17439210

Thanks that is a great summary!

That was the mid ranged used in the surrounds? I thought he used something different.

The same crossover is used for both mains and surrounds?

EDIT: I guess I should just read it myself.....I didnt pay attention

Thanks!

You're welcome!

I believe that those are the correct part numbers as they were pulled from chucky's posts directly. One way that you could make these a bit cheaper is to skip the Dayton subwoofers in each surround. Otherwise, based on chucky's results you could potentially use the Dayton subwoofers in place of the 15" Celestion's up front and be cheaper that way.

#137 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbrodie77 /forum/post/17354864

Hi Guys,

My names is John Brodie, I am a Loudspeaker Engineer for QSC Audio and I designed the horns that you guys are using. Just thought I would say 'Cool Stuff' and make a few comments. First off, the primary role of our service parts store is for supporting QSC products, although we are aware that a few people are buying the parts for DIY. Provided that the numbers are small, buying a few parts shouldn't be a problem. Please be aware that we don't stock huge quantities of each part. QSC prides itself on being a good citizen within the audio world and "doing things right", but the amount of support we can give this kind of project is obviously limited (but I couldn't help chime in).

A few notes regarding the HPR horns and DIY in general:

- All of our components are designed for use in very specific products. We have the luxury of designing and selecting all of the components as a system. For instance, in the HPR series, we have precise control over the EQ, crossover and limiting on each driver's band. This systems approach yields great results, but the individual components might be harder to use for DIY than parts that are designed expressly for DIY use. It's a good idea to buy the SC-2150 crossover and matching drivers and horns. NONE of our crossovers are even close to 'off-the-shelf', they are all designed using lab measurements, good software and many hours of listening. Don't expect to drop in a stock catalog crossover and get good results.

- We buy drivers from several manufacturers, including Celestion. A few of these drivers are standard catalog parts, but most of them are designed by our in-house transducer experts. 100% of the drivers that we use are measured at the end of the production line and checked against rigorous standards.

- Buy some measurement equipment. Given the choice between 1000$ in parts and no measurement capability, or 200$ in parts and 800$ to spend on a microphone and analyzer (and books). The analyzer, combined with proper knowledge and skill will win every time (and be more fun). CLIO, Praxis etc. will all get you there with a little practice.

Best regards,

John Brodie

QSC Audio Products

Hi John,

Just a quick thank you to QSC for their support of this community. I hope you see this as an opportunity rather than something negative. I truely believe this activity will extend the QSC name to other horizontal markets that might not have otherwise been aware of the brand and its stellar products. Undoubtably many will become aware and decide just to buy the finished product (like me). It will also help sell amps! I just boguht a 4050HD!

#138 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykz34 /forum/post/17439168

These are component costs ONLY; not including shipping and handling or building materials...

ItemQSC Part #Celestion Part #LocationQuantityLocationsCostTotal Cost
WaveguidePL-000447-GPMain13$29.94$89.82
WaveguideSP-000106-GPSurround14$6.55$26.20
CrossoverPA-000210-00Both17$65.00$455.00
Terminal PlateWP-002157-00Both17$60.00$420.00
Compression DriverSP-000086-GPCDX1-1425Both17$60.68$424.76
Midrange DriverSP-000085-GPTF0615 MRBoth17$28.80$201.60
WooferSP-000084-GPTF1530Main23$99.25$595.50
SubwooferDaytonSD315-88Surround41$50.92$203.68
$2,416.56

I've not read every post in this thread, so I hope I'm not repeating something already said, or already proved wrong, but if a person wanted to save some money, they could eliminate that terminal plate. You'd have to wire up the speaker to be passive only, but if that's what you were going to do anyway, that could save someone $400.

#140 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/17439608

I've not read every post in this thread, so I hope I'm not repeating something already said, or already proved wrong, but if a person wanted to save some money, they could eliminate that terminal plate. You'd have to wire up the speaker to be passive only, but if that's what you were going to do anyway, that could save someone $400.

The only problem that I see with that is that you'd have to figure out how to wire the xover up so that it is passive only. Xover has next to no identifiable marking for leads out. Only marking are for HF, MF, LF, and input. that leaves 6 wires unidentified for the bi-amp/passive switch. The terminal plate made it so much easier and flexible just in case I do want to bi-amp.

You are correct however, if you do figure out the wiring, you can same some cash.

#141 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 /forum/post/17440818

The only problem that I see with that is that you'd have to figure out how to wire the xover up so that it is passive only. Xover has next to no identifiable marking for leads out. Only marking are for HF, MF, LF, and input. that leaves 6 wires unidentified for the bi-amp/passive switch. The terminal plate made it so much easier and flexible just in case I do want to bi-amp.

You are correct however, if you do figure out the wiring, you can same some cash.

Ideally, you would buy just one terminal plate and use that as your example to follow for the other speakers. That would still save $300+.

Chucky, I believe you commented earlier in the thread about how the Dayton subwoofer integrates with the rear/surround speakers - do you think that the Dayton would be sufficient to be a viable option to replace the dual 15" woofers in the mains? If so, that would drastically reduce the cost and size of the project.

Thanks!

#142 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 /forum/post/17440799

Hi Penn,

The xover is the same for all speakers. Now, I know it's not ideally what everyone here would do but given the results, it really worked out for the best.

I think that is awesome!!

I have those waveguides and the Celestion drivers so I guess I should order some crossovers.

#143 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 /forum/post/17438739

You don't need to go local to get everything. Just order online.

All you need from QSC are the waveguides, xovers, and terminal plate. The waveguides can be purchased through QSCstore.com. The xovers and terminal plate need to be phoned in to QSC. All of the drivers can be sourced from other online retailers.

Searching this thread will get you the links needed for the drivers along with price.

I wanted to check out the prices here just to see what the prices were and because I live in canada I thought it just might be easier just to get them here.

Thanks for the break down of all the parts dykz34. cheers

I was also thinking that would be nice, is if they had layout of the crossover on their site so we could build it ourselves and put in better caps etc but that might be asking for to much already.

thx

#145 ·
Well the horn I think can only be bought through QSC's parts dept, along with the crossover. If you're good with electronics, you could duplicate the crossover, but good luck duplicating the horn.

BTW, I picked up a few of the horns and have been playing around with one of them.

It sounds bad because I just dropped some stuff in (took apart an Infinity Beta 20) and there's a 1/4" gap between the tweeter and horn. Heh, the woofer bolted right up though.

#146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/17439608

cool beans Looney! Never thought of that. cheers

I take it that you dont have the drivers for this yet? I would like to know your opinion on these when you get them up and running. If thats what your building.

By looking at the crossover can you tell what all the components are?

thanks

EDIT: my bad, for some reason I thought those were the crossovers for the 2150's

#151 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 /forum/post/17643623

According to the spec sheet, it's 4ohm in passive mode.

If that is the case, how well would a standard AVR handle the load when they are designed for 8 ohm speakers? Have you noticed if yours runs hot with extended use? Would a viable option be to use an 8 ohm woofer instead of the 4 ohm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.