AVS Forum banner

Help me with my New Home Theater, Construction starts Mid July!!

13K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  htwaits 
#1 ·
My System!!

My Pioneer 151fd, Paradigm Signature S6 and C5, Sunfire TSEQ12 Sub

Grills Off!

Raxxess Skeleton Audio Rack:

Apple TV, Directv HR23 Receiver, Anthem D2v, Denon 5910ci for CD/SACD/DVD's, Denon 3800bdci Blu-Ray Player, NAD M25 Amp

Palliser Hiland Theater Seats

Adjacent Wine Cellar

View From the Wine Cellar

Hey Guys,

I am about to build a 7.1, home theater in my basement. I have purchased some equipment already, but am looking for help as the process goes along.

Room looks like 2 rectangles, no windows: the home theater will be 11 x 17 rectangle, opens on the right another 7 x 10 for a custom wine cellar.

11 x 17 room will be carpeted, ceiling height will only be about 7 feet, its a 1952 house. 75% Home Theater, 25% Music.

Currently I have :

Processor: Anthem D2v

Amp: NAD M25

Blu Ray Player: Denon 3800 bdci

Plasma : Pioneer Elite Pro 151FD

Sub: Sunfire TS EQ12

Sat. Video: Directv HR21

Cables: All Blue Jeans

HDMI from both video sources will go through Anthem, Directv will also go Component to Plasma if I listen to music while watching Television. Can Anthem output video HDMI from Directv receiver to plasma while playing audio from a different source, CD or IPOD?

Needs:

Front L/R Speaker: Paradigm Signature S6

Center: Paradigm Signature C5

Surrounds: Paradigm Signature 1.5R

Rears: Paradigm Signature 1.5R

Update August 1st: I purchased Paradigm S6 for front R/L and C5 for Center. Also purchased 4 Paradigm Signature 1.5R for Side Surrounds and Rears.

Audio Rack: Ordered Raxxess Skeleton Rack, 6 Feet Tall b/c the shelves can support 250 lbs and are wide enough for the M25 amp

Ordered Palliser Hiland Seats configured for 2 recliners on the ends with a loveseat in the middle. Should arrive first week in October

Looking forward to the discussions, will post pics in next two days.

See less See more
#27 ·
Now I am looking for a Dedicated CD SACD Player that is not limited to Stereo output only. Any advice here? I like the NAD M5, but other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#28 ·
I actually just ordered a C5 today. After looking at the S6 in my room, and knowing this will mostly be a HT area, I don't want to have any "what if's" floating around. There is plenty of room and I want to buy this stuff once and buy it right, so I will be exchanging the unopened C3 for a new C5 in about 10 days.

#29 ·
Here are some more pics now that the wine room and system is almost completely done:

#30 ·
The last piece I am looking for is a good Ipod Music transport. The wadia interested me, but lack of on remote and on screen controls is a must for me. Anyone have any suggestions on a good quality, functional ipod transport?

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vengazor /forum/post/17208726

The last piece I am looking for is a good Ipod Music transport. The wadia interested me, but lack of on remote and on screen controls is a must for me. Anyone have any suggestions on a good quality, functional ipod transport?

BTW the setup looks great so far! excellent job and great choice in speakers! You still enjoying the S6/C5 combo?

And as far as an ipod transport goes, since you are already using itunes, why not use the Apple TV? IT has an AMAZING on screen display and it has a remote. Obviously you wont dock your ipod to this, but there is just not alot on the market that will bypass the DAC in an ipod. The wadia would be my first choice, but as you said it just doesnt have a remote or on screen display. With the AppleTV it has built in wifi so you can connect it with your itunes and stream all your tunes.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/17208939

BTW the setup looks great so far! excellent job and great choice in speakers! You still enjoying the S6/C5 combo?

And as far as an ipod transport goes, since you are already using itunes, why not use the Apple TV? IT has an AMAZING on screen display and it has a remote. Obviously you wont dock your ipod to this, but there is just not alot on the market that will bypass the DAC in an ipod. The wadia would be my first choice, but as you said it just doesnt have a remote or on screen display. With the AppleTV it has built in wifi so you can connect it with your itunes and stream all your tunes.

That's a great idea for the apple tv. I have a macbook that i could just bring down and plug into the system easily and a wireless N network. I will check it out. I love the speakers and the amp. They handle the sound so effortlessly even when pushing them HARD.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/17208939

I am also thinking about purchasing a digital media server like a Request Audio that can FLAC compress music, does anyone have recommendations for one of these types of devices?

#34 ·
I'm trying to do some video calibration. My Processor is an Anthem D2v, Blu Ray player Denon 3800bdci.

When I try to set the player to output video my choices are YCbCr or RGB (studio or enhanced)

I wanted to have YCbCr set, but the color space comes in looking reversed. RGB is the only option that looks correct and I have it set at studio so that the D2v does minimal processing and my Pioneer 151fd will do most of the video work.

Is there a reason why I cannot get the YCbCr ouput to work correctly on the Anthem that I am overlooking? The video connection is HDMI.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vengazor /forum/post/17223098

I am also thinking about purchasing a digital media server like a Request Audio that can FLAC compress music, does anyone have recommendations for one of these types of devices?

why convert everything to .FLAC when you already have itunes which doesnt work with those files.

If you want uncompressed music then burn your CD's to Apple Lossles (.ALAC). Digital is digital.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/17228167

why convert everything to .FLAC when you already have itunes which doesnt work with those files.

If you want uncompressed music then burn your CD's to Apple Lossles (.ALAC). Digital is digital.

My Itunes is all apple lossless, I am heavily leaning towards apple tv.

#37 ·
And here's my new Palliser Hiland Theater seats

#38 ·
Rich,

I see you are in the Chicago area.

You will have to tell me more about the Palliser seats. I am getting close to ordering seating, and will be going after a similar configuration (4 across, with the love seat in the middle).

Curious as to the total width of this setup, and where you bought these.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 /forum/post/17286107

Rich,

I see you are in the Chicago area.

You will have to tell me more about the Palliser seats. I am getting close to ordering seating, and will be going after a similar configuration (4 across, with the love seat in the middle).

Curious as to the total width of this setup, and where you bought these.

Where are you located? I bought them from Sounds Deluxe in Naperville, much better build quality than Berkline. The store came out and installed them. My room is 10'6" wide, this setup is exactly 10' wide. If you angle the end recliners toward center, it adds another foot in width. Very Very happy with them.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 /forum/post/17304361

Rich,

Great info - THANKS!

I assume Sounds Deluxe had some on the floor that one can try out..?

I might be sending you a PM when I get closer.

No problem, they do have samples in the store.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 /forum/post/17308100

Rich,

Thanks Again! Just dropped them an email - I will need to stop by their showroom after work to check out the options. (Although I live up NW, I work in Glen Ellyn).

I live in Park Ridge and it was not all that awesome going to Naperville during the week

#44 ·
I had Jeff Meier (UMR) from Accucal over to calibrate my 151 FD last night (and another display in my family room) and all I have to say is he did a fantastic job. Took the time to not only explain every step along the process, but make sure I was also happy with the results. I had several errors in my setup for my HT system that he quickly resolved and made both of my systems much better. All around he did a great job and I highly recommend him for anyone to get the most out of your display and system.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vengazor /forum/post/17466561

I had Jeff Meier (UMR) from Accucal over to calibrate my 151 FD last night (and another display in my family room) and all I have to say is he did a fantastic job.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've added it to the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.