AVS Forum banner

PR-SC5507, check this new Prepro out

157K views 1K replies 173 participants last post by  konoyaro 
#1 ·
Just found this on the Europe Onkyo site...I was ready to upgrade my 885 to an 886. Not now!

9.2-Channel A/V Network Controller

PR-SC5507

The PR-SC5507 is designed specifically for the serious home theatre enthusiast seeking a sophisticated pre-pro to partner a high-end power amp. You get the very best in video processing, with HQV Reon-VX and 1080p upscaling of all video sources via HDMI™ 1.3a, plus ISF calibration for fine-tuning of video parameters. Along with the latest high-def audio formats from DTS and Dolby, the PR-SC5507 handles Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz and Audyssey DSX™—

AUDIO & VIDEO FEATURES

9.2-Channel Balanced Line-Level XLR Pre Outs (with Front Bi-Amping Capability)

2-Channel Balanced XLR Audio Inputs

Dual IR Inputs with Common Output

Linear Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry

Neural-THX® Surround Decoder

Music Optimizer™ for Compressed Digital Music Files

Theater-Dimensional Virtual Surround Function

RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) for System Control

Direct Mode and Pure Audio Mode

Tone Control (Bass/Treble) for All Channels

Front-Side Auxiliary Inputs (for Camcorders, Game Consoles, etc.)

2 USB Ports (Front/Rear) for MP3 Audio Devices (Audio Only)

Component Video Upscaling (Up to 1080i)

Component Video Switching (3 Inputs and 1 Output)

5 Composite Video Inputs and 2 Outputs

Color-Coded, 9 Multichannel Pre Outs

7 Digital Inputs (4 Optical and 3 Coaxial)

Independent Crossover Adjustment for F/C/S/SB/FH/FW (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/200 Hz)

A/V Sync Control Function (Up to 250 ms in 5 ms Steps)

40 FM/AM Random Presets with RDS (PS/RT/PTY/TP)

OTHER FEATURES

Gold-Plated A/V Inputs and Outputs

High-Rigidity Flat Chassis (1.6 mm Thick)

4 S-Video Inputs and 1 Output

5 A/V Inputs and 1 Output

Monitor Outputs (Component Video, Composite Video, and S-Video)

3 Audio Inputs and 1 Output

Phono Input

Gold-Plated, Machined Solid Brass, 19 mm-Pitch Audio Inputs (CD and Phono)

Color-Coded, 7.1-Multichannel Inputs

12V Triggers (A, B, and C) with Adjustable Delay

Onscreen Display (OSD)

IntelliVolume

Aluminum Front Panel and Volume Knob

Firmware Updates via Ethernet and USB

Bi-Directional Ethernet Port and RS232 Port

Compatible with RI (Remote Interactive) Dock for the iPod

Bi-Directional, Preprogrammed, and Customizable RI Remote Control with Backlight, Onscreen Setup, Mode-Key LEDs, and Macro Presets for Four Activities

ADVANCED FEATURES

THX® Ultra2 Plus™ Certified

DTS-HD Master Audio™, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio™, Dolby® TrueHD, and Dolby® Digital Plus Decoding

HDMI™ Version 1.3a to Support Deep Color™, x.v.Color™, LipSync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Multichannel PCM, and CEC

HDMI Video Upscaling to 1080p with HQV Reon-VX

DSD Direct for Super Audio CD

Audio and 1080p Video Processing via HDMI (1 Front/7 Rear Inputs and 2 Outputs [Main/Sub])

Burr-Brown 192 kHz/32-Bit DACs (PCM1795 x 6) for All Channels

Ultra-Low-Jitter PLL (Phase Locked Loop) Circuitry to Improve Audio Quality

Three TI (Aureus™) 32-Bit DSP Chips (DA830 x 1, DA788 x 2) for Advanced Processing

VLSC™ (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) for All Channels

ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) Video Calibration

Audyssey DSX™ and Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz for New Surround Channels

Audyssey MultEQ™ XT to Correct Room Acoustic Problems and to Calibrate Speakers

Audyssey Dynamic Volume™ to Maintain Optimal Listening Level and Dynamic Range

Audyssey Dynamic EQ™ for Loudness Correction

Dolby® Volume for Reference-Quality Listening Experience at Any Volume

Network Capability for Streaming Audio Files (MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, FLAC, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, LPCM)

Internet Radio Connectivity (Last.fm* and vTuner)

Certified with Windows 7 and DLNA Version 1.5

Bi-Amping Capability

Zone 2 and Zone 3 for Playback of Separate Sources in Other Rooms

Zone 2 Monitor Outputs (Component and Composite) and Zone 2/3 Subwoofer Pre Outs

D-sub (15 pin) Input for PC or Analog RGB

Universal Port for Single-Cable Connection of Optional Onkyo Dock for the iPod or DAB+ Radio Tuner

4 DSP Modes for Gaming: Rock, Sports, Action, and RPG (Role Playing Game)

2 Independent Subwoofer Pre Outs

* Firmware Updates over Internet

HD Radio Module- manual: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...=Accessory&p=f

IPOD/IPhone Dock- Manual: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...=Accessory&p=i

9/16/09- NEW: Comparison Chart between SC5507 and 886: post #479
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17541232

Benchmarks:

1) Announcement on Onkyo EU Site: 8/17/09

2) First EU Owner Review: 11/7/09...well the first one I know of

3) Announcement on US Onkyo Pro Website: 11/14/09

4) Joerod posted that he purchased New Unit: 11/15/09

5) First US Owner Review: ???????

Download Brochure: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/...ex_leaflet.pdf

Intl Onkyo- Download English Manual: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/...7_manual_e.pdf

US Onkyo- Download Manual/may not have the manual at this time: http://www.onkyousa.com/download/own...t=Preamplifier

Here are some website:

11/3/09: AVS Forums, review of SC5507: http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo...ontroller.html

Video from IFA 2009: Display of SC5507 and more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GzKD...e=channel_page

The SC5507 webpage
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/PR-SC5507.html

AV Entusiast
http://www.aventhusiast.co.uk/new-on...3.htm#more-893

9/29 I also updated with better pic's

See less See more
#457 ·
Man he goes to mention that dreaded relay click, I can't recall any clicking in my 886?

Also he mention a firmware for internet radio? I thought this unit didn't have internet radio, and you had to buy the tuner? What ever, sound all good so far..

Thanks for the link..

Djoel

#459 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof /forum/post/17492531

It is currently the ONLY Pre/Pro in the market to do Audyssey DSX (albeit only 9 and not 11 channels) and is slated to be Audyssey Installer Ready.

If you don't need these features, why bother with the upgrade?

The added HDMI inputs and better DAC's are my primary reason.

#460 ·
I think the analog stages of the DAC are more important than the DAC chipset itself. Not when the media is still limited to 24/192 max. And HDMI inputs can be augmented with external switches in a pinch.

The DSX/IIz is going to continue to be a premium priced feature for now and is a big differentiating feature over other pre/pros in the market, whether you need it or not.

I think the Emotiva UMC is probably the best bang for the buck now... even more so than the previous gen of Onkyos if you don't need the new frills on the 5507.

#461 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt /forum/post/17503716

The added HDMI inputs and better DAC's are my primary reason.

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof /forum/post/17503892

I think the analog stages of the DAC are more important than the DAC chipset itself. Not when the media is still limited to 24/192 max. And HDMI inputs can be augmented with external switches in a pinch.

I am also very interested in the effect of the jitter reduction. I have two CD players that both bit stream Cd's. One sounds better than the other when it up samples. I do not think I will every know why.

- Rich

#462 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel /forum/post/17501381

Man he goes to mention that dreaded relay click, I can't recall any clicking in my 886?

Also he mention a firmware for internet radio? I thought this unit didn't have internet radio, and you had to buy the tuner? What ever, sound all good so far..

Thanks for the link..

Djoel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof /forum/post/17501511

I did have a major click on the old 875 when switching between codecs.

My new 4810 seems to click more

I have an Onkyo 805 and have that clicking noise (it's a relay) when switching between codecs, i'm use to it and it doesn't bother me at all. I can't wait for the PR-SC5507 pre-pro. i found a place about 2.5 hours from where i live that can get me on for $1787.50 the price sounds reasonable to me but i'm gonna wait for a bit closer to the holidays before buying. that link to the UK fellow that already has one was a very nice thread to read. the thing i love is that it weighs in at 30lbs, that's a damn good weight for a pre-pro, it weighs as much as some receivers! It's also the same size as my current 805 so, it will fit in the same space (minus the heat!), great! clicks aside, it sounds like it performs not just well but great and if the clicking between codecs is the downside, then, i'm there!

someone mentioned earlier about wanting the USA to release it, well it's released in the USA now and it's also on their USA website.

http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?cl...PR-SC5507P&p=i

#463 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd /forum/post/17536541

I have an Onkyo 805 and have that clicking noise (it's a relay) when switching between codecs, i'm use to it and it doesn't bother me at all. I can't wait for the PR-SC5507 pre-pro. i found a place about 2.5 hours from where i live that can get me on for $1787.50 the price sounds reasonable to me but i'm gonna wait for a bit closer to the holidays before buying. that link to the UK fellow that already has one was a very nice thread to read. the thing i love is that it weighs in at 30lbs, that's a damn good weight for a pre-pro, it weighs as much as some receivers! It's also the same size as my current 805 so, it will fit in the same space (minus the heat!), great! clicks aside, it sounds like it performs not just well but great and if the clicking between codecs is the downside, then, i'm there!

someone mentioned earlier about wanting the USA to release it, well it's released in the USA now and it's also on their USA website.

http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?cl...PR-SC5507P&p=i

Yeah that sounds more reasonable price, I'll also wait it out a bit...Hmm I've been all up in the Onkyo site but for got to check out the pro site...Also I didn't see the new ipod dock SD N1, H one N something
I forgot the name of these things...Oh and no price talking house rules

Djoel

#465 ·
#469 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla /forum/post/17537262

Old news already, you're about 3 hours late..

It's already been mentioned and linked to, just look a few posts above yours.

Yeah, but he had the manual link too

Now, where is the power buy?

- Rich

#470 ·
I'm ready to pull the trigger. Now to find a dealer and a deal.

#472 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/17537770

I am planning to post my review sometime soon. The 5507 is without a doubt the best pre-pro I have heard/seen/used to date.

Joe,

What do find the 5507 does better than the 886? What amp are you using with the 5507? Can you hear the relays clicking when changing audio formats that has been reported with the 80.1?

Bill

#473 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/17537806

Joe,

What do find the 5507 does better than the 886? What amp are you using with the 5507? Can you hear the relays clicking when changing audio formats that has been reported with the 80.1?

Bill

I won't go into specifics just yet. I will say I am using a B&K 200.7 (purchased new from Jason Turk/AVS) and together I am getting my most optimal results to date.

Review coming...

#474 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/17537816

I won't go into specifics just yet. I will say I am using a B&K 200.7 (purchased new from Jason Turk/AVS) and together I am getting my most optimal results to date.

Review coming...

Hello Joe,

Also interested in the firmware downloads over the internet. As I remember, the Europeans mentioned that they had already downloaded one. It will be interesting to hear if there is one for the U.S. model.

This may be the best featureno more posts/complaints about manual firmware loading

#475 ·
Here are a few noted changes between the 886 and the 5507 form the Onkyo Pro website... sure I missed a few.

Additions to the PR-SC5507 over the 886:

Extra Sub Output

DTS HD Express

Fine Linear Optimum Gain Volume

HDMI- 4 more Outputs

Dolby Pro Logic IIz (Front High Channels)

Dolby Volume

Audyssey DSX (Front High / Wide Channels)

192K/32 Bit DACs (total of 6)- 886 used 24bit

9.2 design

Internet Radio Capability via Ethernet

Firmware Updates via Network

Network Audio Streaming (Windows7, DLNA Certified)

Streaming Audio From USB memory (PlaysForSure)

Pandora, Rhapsody, vTuner

MultEQ Pro Ready- Not sure if anyone has made this upgrade on the 886?

Dimensions:

5507: 17-1/8 x 7-13/16 x 17-7/8

886: 17-1/8 x 7-5/8 x 17-1/2

886 adjustments and other items that are better then the 5507:

Speaker Distance: 886 measures .2 feet, 5507 measures .5 feet

Audio EQ: 886= 15 band EQ, 5507 = 7 band EQ

Composite Video I/O: 885= 6/1, 5507 = 5/1

S-Video I/O: 886 = 6/1, 5507 = 4/1

Hd Radio: Need to buy module for 5507

Sirius / XM: 886 has both, 5507 only comes with Sirius

#476 ·
Lets see...EU press release was 8/17, First purchase that we know of in the US, 11/15. WOW!

Oh, and that happened in the same year, LESS THEN 3 MONTHS

Note: Added new pic's, Benchmark info, another place to dload manual, AV Forum review-link, to cover of thread.

#477 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/17538887

Here are a few noted changes between the 886 and the 5507 form the Onkyo Pro website... sure I missed a few.

Here are a few more changes:

Additions to the PR-SC5507 over the 886:

"GAME" Surround Modes

Music Optimizer (Compressed Audio Enhancer)

Front panel HDMI

Video up conversion lists "HQV Reon-VX" whereas the 886 lists "HQV Reon"

886 adjustments and other items that are better then the 5507:

Digital Audio OUT (OPT/COAX)

Composite inputs 6 versus 5 on the 5507

S-Video I/O 6 inputs versus 4 on the 5507

Front panel optical

I am working on a comparison chart which I will post after I check some items further.

#478 ·
thanks, I will post on cover

#479 ·
The attached PDF document is based on a comparison of the "features" tab for the 5507 and for the 886 from the onkyopro.com web pages. In addition I have added notes to clarify possible differences based on referencing the manuals for the two units, a 5507 brochure, and web research I have done. I hope others will find this useful.

Onkyo-5507.pdf 375.8544921875k . file

Attachments

#480 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by retate /forum/post/17541232

The attached PDF document is based on a comparison of the "features" tab for the 5507 and for the 886 from the onkyopro.com web pages. In addition I have added notes to clarify possible differences based on referencing the manuals for the two units, a 5507 brochure, and web research I have done. I hope others will find this useful.

Thanks Bob, great work...Very useful..

Djoel

#481 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by retate /forum/post/17541232

+1 Geat job.

Do you know how many DACs the 886 used, I do not recall that mentioned before.

I think the power usage went up in the 5507 for some reason.

- Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.