AVS Forum banner

Mr.Poindexter's home theater under construction - 2.35:1

365K views 788 replies 203 participants last post by  djos 
#1 ·
I have been keeping a thread with photo updates on my new theater in a thread on the 2.35:1 forum, but I suppose I should have something here as well. I will make this the primary thread for construction of my new dedicated home theater.

The other thread is here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=555051

I put new photos several times per week.

The room is 22'x30'x9' with an equipment room/snack bar going in the back on one side with a bathroom on the other side.

I will have stadium seating for 9 with a 150" wide screen when we are finished.

EDIT: Theater construction stopped for a while and I came back recently to remodel the entry, equipment room, snack area and bathroom, plus do some small touch-ups to the main room. I will have new finished photos of the whole build in early May.

EDIT again: Hmm, it is early May. Where are the photos? Oh, here they are...

See less See more
#702 ·
Mr Poindexter,

I have viewed this thread back to the beginning of construction of your fine room. I would like to say it is pure class. As was your comments to rlindo in Feb. 2006. I was especially impressed with your desire and ability to shoot out the kids windows. Who could not be impressed with the quality of the equipment and the workmanship that has gone into it. Because I am still a little green I have stood back in amazement and just read and learned. My past has been in "Home Improvement" so I recognize quality when I see it. I agree with miltimj, on the back wall of the refreshment room, movie paraphernalia and the article, (the article at a eye level). Thank you for years of sharing your project. I can't help but have a touch of envy. Who couldn't?

#703 ·
I am tired, but the construction phase of the remodel is DONE!!

I still need to clean up some in there for photos and do a couple small things - mount my light for the candy shelf and install shelves there, plus change out one plug to a black decora plug instead of those cheap crappy round white ones. Then I have a lot of cleaning to do. I would have done that this weekend but had guests over for movies a couple times plus got to build a swingset for the kids.

Please excuse the quality of the photos - I snapped these just before I came into work. No tripod and need to clean and vacuum still.

Now, when one enters the equipment room and snack bar, this is what they see. (The rack rails will disappear as soon as I get my new gear from Kaleidescape installed).

Once inside, you can look back at the equipment rack...

The other wall, which is not as long due to the entry door, only has one poster on it. Two part rocker switch handles the overhead light on the top, the posters on the bottom.

One photo without the flash so you can see a nice contrast of the lit poster and a little of the overhead light.

I picked up my framed newspaper article to put up in the equipment room. I will get that one done put up and photographed when I get the candy shelf finished later this week.

#705 ·
Thanks, Bobbi Jean. I just finalized my open house flyer and schedule.

Saturday, May 8th, 2010

Clovis, CA

Ratatouille - 12:00pm

The Usual Suspects - 2pm

Tombstone - 4pm

Terminator 2 - 6:30pm

The Dark Knight - 9:15pm

All in HD, 4 of the 5 with D-BOX motion (not Tombstone).

If anybody from AVS wants to come, they are welcome to PM me. I will have another event for AVS members and HT enthusiasts only but I want to get a few more things refined and wait for a couple of impending gear upgrades first.

I will convert my flyer to a .pdf and post it once it passes the Senate (my wife).

#706 ·
I redacted my address from the flyer but otherwise it is exactly how I printed them.

Tell me what you think. I don't mind making changes but I am pretty happy for something I just threw together.

#710 ·
Wow!

Great lookin' theater! Congrats!

Old

#711 ·
The shelves for my candy counter came in yesterday, but I got a call at 4:30 pm that I could pick them up and they close at 5pm and are a 30 minute drive away. Thanks for the lead time.

I will be getting those today and install them this weekend. I picked up about $75 worth of theater candy to stock it for the party and am sure I will have plenty left over. Walgreen's has a nice selection of theater candy at 3 for $3, but I found a nice deal at Target, $1.02 for an XL pack of Red Vines. I got my Red Vines there, other stuff at Walgreen's: Starburst, plain and peanut M&Ms, DOTS, Charleston Chew minis, Raisinettes, Milk Duds and 3 different flavors of Mike & Ikes.

My new Kaleidescape server comes in on Monday, but I don't think I will have my new scaler before the party.

#713 ·
OK, snack bar is DONE!! Shelves mounted, candy stocked, ready to rock and roll.

Here is a tall shot of the snack room that gives a better view of the approach. I think the wood curving back towards the doorway and gives a less boring and harsh transition than if I went with it straight across.

There is a bit of a void on the right side of the counter so I put up a framed newspaper article that featured my theater in it. I plan on hanging it up on the wall tomorrow about 8" higher than where it is now.

I have about $75 worth of candy in there and it isn't even full. I could probably put another $30 of it in there. I got tempered glass shelves for $29 locally, which was much better than $99 shipped via the internet and $78 from another company that was local. While the bottom didn't need a shelf, I put a glass shelf on the bottom to make it easier to clean plus I will have a spare ready to go if a shelf should ever break.

#715 ·
Thanks. My dentist says thanks, too.

I got the Kaleidescape servers pulled out of the rack this weekend. My new server comes in today and then the transfer begins - should take about 2 days to get all my movies switched over.

I noticed when I was hanging my newspaper article that the framers covered over the part of the article at the top that said "The New York Times" even though I specifically told them I wanted that visible. I will have to have that fixed after my party. Aaron Brothers took about 2 months to frame it - really annoyed at that one.

I also got a ring at the doorbell Saturday about 11:45am from a couple friends who said they were just a little early for the movie party. I told them "Yeah, about 7 days early" but brought them in and showed them a few clips but didn't really have time for a full movie and had work to do.

#716 ·
I really like your theater. Very impressive. I read the whole thing for the past 2 and a half hours. I like the look, as compared to some others. Those racks are awfully nice. I like that your theater cost more than either of my houses! What do you do with your old gear?

#717 ·
Thanks. I think my theater almost cost as much as the house it is attached to. Old gear generally gets passed down to other rooms but what I have pulled from my theater is:

HD-DVD Player - is a doorstop now.

Samsung BluRay - moved to living room and replaced with Oppo BD-83

Kaleidescape Servers (5U) - one sold, one traded in on a 3U server

Kaleidescape Player - sold and replaced with a BluRay units (on order)

Slingbox - retired

Crowson Amp - upgraded to A300, old one needs a new home...

Lumagen VisionPro HDP - traded in on a Radiance XE

That is all the equipment I have had to pull out in 3+ years. I expect to be changing my projector at some time in the near future.

#718 ·
Absolutely beautiful theater in both concept and workmanship.

I was going to suggest a solution to the lightbox border light leakage issue. I used a collection of the colored plastic film from a sign maker to make a pseudo stain glass window for our church. It is on a large sheet of lexan and the film applies easily and does not shrink or leave a gummy residue. They carry this film in a hundred colors with multiple tones including black and both opaque and translucent.

Also given to beautiful woodwork, seating and carpeting, I strongly suggest you NEVER screen The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

#720 ·
Movie day went well but it was too much. Next time, it will just be a double feature. I had some friends that could only make it before 2pm and others that couldn't make it until 9pm so I tried to accommodate them all. I fell asleep during The Dark Knight but didn't even notice - I was dozing and then one of the guys said it was great and I didn't even feel like I was sleeping but I missed the last half hour.

The most we got up to was 8 in the theater. People are horrible with RSVPs. They won't RSVP or they will say "yeah, I will be there" but no time or number of people.

I will be doing another one in about a month or two.

#723 ·
OK, I am done, or at least as done as I am going to get in the next 6 months aside from gear upgrades. Time to take another breather and keep enjoying the fruits of my labor.

And now, for your viewing pleasure, I present...

AVALON

I will probably go back and touchup these photos in a couple weeks but I will be occupied for a little while and want to get this posted.

#725 ·
Beautiful room, love the look, very classy.

Brad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.