AVS Forum banner

LandShark's small yet cozy home theater thread......

232K views 357 replies 143 participants last post by  mhdiab 
#1 ·
 The Cozy Theater 2.0 has started too!!

before & after:

~ my poor man's Bluray changer & whole house media distribution info/setup starts @ page 7~8 .

ok, after some planning and thinking, I finally decided to build a dedicate home theater using a small area in the basement.

I live in a townhouse, so space is a premium to me! the room/basement_area size is only 12'x15' with a 8' ceiling, and is currently used as my home "computer lab".

EDIT:

what I want is a nice home movie theater that I don't wanna go out anymore but doesn't make me rob a bank neither!

here's the equipment list that I already have or have it in mind:

Epson HomeCinema 1080UB projector
100" Elite CineWhite screen

Yamaha RV-X1800 receiver

Definitive Tech speakers (2 x BP7006 , C/L/R2300 , 2 x BP1.2X , SuperCubeI )

HTPC client

PS3

Wii

Xbox360

Panamax power conditioner

a low profile A/V center, got it from BestBuy

a comfy L shape sofa, prefer a reclineable one ( got it from Ikea )
Lutron Mateso IR remote lighting

Logitech 1000 remote

Logitech PS3 adapter

a Disc storage cabinet, also from Ikea

here's the SketchUp rendering that I have in mind.....

the last one is the closest thing to the real world.

I thought about cut out a hole and build a A/V rack on the side wall to left of the screen next to the entry door. however, there's a storage room behind that wall and has some water piping right along the wall! so I gave up that idea and go for just a low profile A/V center instead (and save some $ too).

also, I'm not rich nor have a huge budget. therefore, I'm trying to do what I want to do with the least amount of money too (but not necessary being cheap or cutting corner)! currently projected budget in mind, around $10k.

See less See more
#302 ·
Congrats, Gary - a well deserved honor!

#304 ·
Congrats on the electronic house spot!!!! Your theater has been an inspiration for my in progress 12'x18' townhome basement.

#308 ·
Landshark1, your small theater is an inspiration for me. I have bought my first home, and intend on transforming my formal dining room into a theater similar to yours. Can't wait to move in and get started. Congrats on the article, can't wait to see it... Is that the latest magazine, or next release??

#309 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener /forum/post/18928356

Landshark1, your small theater is an inspiration for me. I have bought my first home, and intend on transforming my formal dining room into a theater similar to yours. Can't wait to move in and get started. Congrats on the article, can't wait to see it... Is that the latest magazine, or next release??

That's a special edition issue from Electronic House. It's mail order only.
http://www.electronichouseideas.com/...wcase-p73.html

#313 ·
Hi Gary,

What's the old saying? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I've been following your thread and saving money for quite some time. Last year I started construction on my basement home theater and followed your design pretty closely. I used the same color scheme, bought my blackout curtains at target and plan on painting my baseboard the same color as yours. The only thing I haven't been able to find is your couch.

Just wanted to say thank you for inspiring me and for posting all of your hints, tips and pictures. My wife and I love our theater and it's in a large part thanks to you!

#314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic5279 /forum/post/19062127

The only thing I haven't been able to find is your couch.

(IKEA, if they still have that model...)

#316 ·
Well since I can't seem to find landsharks couch on Ikea's site does anyone know who else makes one that is the same or close to it?

#318 ·
That is a really nice simple setup which I'll likely borrow heavily from.

#321 ·
Time really flys! It's hard to believe it's been 3 years since I started to build this HT! And needless to say, we are enjoying it every minutes! Wii & Kinect are fun with the big screen, and we can't image if we have to watch a movie in a relatively small (55") regular TV! We are currently planning to move to a bigger single house in about a year or so, and I just can't wait to start my Cozy HT 2.0 there down the road!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antheo /forum/post/20006204

landshark1, page 7 shows your living room and it seems your have Def Tech Mythos. What Mythos model are they and How do they compare with the BP7006 in the home theater?

No, the speakers in my living room is a Mirage Omni FS/OS3, I wish I could have a Mythos STS in the living room.... But a friend of mine has a Mythos 1, and I still love the BP series' bipolar sound for movies. For TV, the front firing speakers are fine to me.

#323 ·
This thread has been the inspiration behind our build too. We should be done next weekend with the exception of a couple small things. I have a build thread but I haven't posted in it for a while. I've been taking pics and everything, just haven't found the time to post them.

Landshark's room is very clean and simple and I think that is very appealing. I'll try and post some pics of ours in this thread when we are done. As they say, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Great job Landshark!

#324 ·
I'm not sure if you have been updating on your HTPC setup but I found that XBMC's new version to be quite fantastic with my media setup. I am actually using my android phone official "XBMC Remote" app to control XBMC front end software through my wireless connection. If you have a tablet or any laptop you can actually go to the hosting IP address and see a nice little HTML based website for your videos and etc. You can add different scrapers like IMDB.com to find the descriptions and etc like the other program you were using. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me! Great job by the way. Love the way to feels comfortable while retaining the theater look. BTW, me and my wife love IKEA lol. We only wish we didn't have to drive an hr to the charlotte one everytime we wanted to buy something. Being a younger married couple we have pretty much lived there because of the modern style and all the great prices on stuff.

#326 ·
Hi Gary,

Thank you for the inspiration! I recently posted pictures of my finished theater that stole many of your great ideas.

Thanks again,

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.