AVS Forum banner

Signature Elite 141 Owners Thread

601K views 5K replies 441 participants last post by  info_dan 
#1 ·
*** Scroll down for Calibration reports

Time to start a stand alone owners thread for this model now that people are starting to get them in hand and installed.

So if you own the 141 take some pictures and post your impressions here. Maybe the 141 vs 151 thread could be merged here, but a "vs" thread is not what I am interested in nor is it the purpose of this thread. This is a stand alone 141 owners thread.

Useful Specs:
481 Watts (0.3 W Standby)

2.5"

Subjected to a 100 hour break in period at the factory

Mounting Holes: 33 15/16" by 19 11/16"
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/portal/site/EC/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogney Baux /forum/post/16864403

Here are my Pure Cinema refresh frequency results for each setting on the PRO-141FD.

Advance

480i 60 - 71.93 Hz

480p 60 - 71.93 Hz

720p 60 - 71.93 Hz

1080i 60 - 71.93 Hz

1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz

1080p 24 - 71.93 Hz

Smooth

480i 60 - 59.94 Hz

480p 60 - 59.94 Hz

720p 60 - 59.94 Hz

1080i 60 - 59.94 Hz

1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz

1080p 24 - 59.94 Hz

Standard

480i 60 - 59.94 Hz

480p 60 - 59.94 Hz

720p 60 - 59.94 Hz

1080i 60 - 59.94 Hz

1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz

1080p 24 - 71.93 Hz

Off

480i 60 - 59.94 Hz

480p 60 - 59.94 Hz

720p 60 - 59.94 Hz

1080i 60 - 59.94 Hz

1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz

1080p 24 - 59.94 Hz

RS-232 codes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/15223124

found em

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...splays.Default

Calibration:

list of ISF Calibrators who can calibrate the 141
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/15069982

Everyone needs to keep in mind that Pure mode on the Sig series has multiple sub-levels (very similar to a RadianceXD). You have to calibrate all sub-levels....meaning difference input types (1080p/60, 1080p/24, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i, etc)
While I totally recommend using ControlCal or getting a pro to calibrate your display since Pioneer does not allow you to have access to all adjustments this way, buts its still interesting to know how you can access the ISF mode via your web browser. This works on both Euro and north american units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/15454513

On the European models (KRP-M) I found that you can get into the ISF section by logging into the regular web interface and then going to:

http://your_kuro_ip /cgi/isf.cgi

as this bypasses the password page.

The options available are:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/16480237

EZ Hours:

Enter this in your Browser (Internet Explorer recommended)
http://Monitor_IP_Address/cgi/service_right.cgi
Networking Info:

(here is what I did)***anyone in my area who would like to hire a networker that is familiar with setting this feature up please send me a PM and ill pass on his info

1.) Bought Apple Aiport Express

2.) Connected 141 to the network (hired computer networker)

3.) Once connected I was able to access all the control menus excpet for ISF mode which requires a password. See above for how to access.

4.) Setting up the email function was a little tricky. My best guess is that what you are required to enter is in fact labled wrong.

------I did not need to put in an ID or password

-----"Mail server SMTP" is actually for the Mail Server IP address

-----"Sender Address" is for your email address

----- There is no DNS built into the email

5.) Once you get your IP address for the display type it into the browser. The manual suggests you should only use Internet Explorer, but I can confirm you can also use Safari. Remember to turn off Pop up blocker

Here is the info which comes on a test email and any update email you request:

Transmission trigger event : TEST MAIL

Model PRO-141FD

Name ****

Location Home

Installation date 8/29/08

Serial number HHPM000****

Usage time 000042 hours

Service code -05M ***************

Power status OFF

Power count 00018

INPUT INPUT5

Signal ********* ***.*

Temperature Temp1 :*** Temp2 :000

Temp3 :000 Panel :000

Failure information SD/PD :

1st : 2nd :

Operation record

1st Power off 000042H 28M

2nd Power on 000042H 28M

3rd Power off 000042H 30M

4th Power on 000042H 30M

5th Power off 000042H 33M

Compatible mounts

Because of the unique spacing of the mounting holes with the 141 it can be a litle tricky finding mounts. Here is a list of wall mounts which work with this display.

Sanus VMPL3: Comes with low profile (1.5") AND tilting attachment (2.5). You use one or the other.
http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/...delCode/VMPL3/

Peerless PLA60: Articulating wall arm, you need the adaptor plate too (PLP-NEC61)
http://www.peerlessmounts.com/en/dyn...60/u/f/av/8470

Peerless SA760P
http://www.peerlessmounts.com/en/dyn...66/u/f/av/8470

Pioneer KRP-WM01
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU....KRP-WM01.Kuro

Omni Mount U3 Tillt
http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/pr...f-328aab22a448

OmniMount ULPTX (low profile)
http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/pr...0-f854d5c0ad65

OmiMount Architectural cantilever
http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/pr...9-cde15c17b785

Pictures of my install

It arrives

It was such a nice day and a cruise ship was just leaving when I finished so I snapped a pic

Calibration Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally /forum/post/16582562

Pioneer 9G Elite Monitor 141 ISF-Night Settings.

I used a Oppo BDP-83 for these settings

Oppo Setup for Blu Ray films 1080P@24

Picture Adjustemnt-Default

Primary Output-HDMI

TV Aspect Ratio-16:9 Wide

TV System-NTSC

Output Resolution- 1080P or Source Direct

1080p24 Output-On

DVD 24p Conversion-Off

HDMI Options-Film Bias Mode, Cue corection Off,

Color Space YCbCr 4:2:2, Deep Color Off (dithered), Demo Mode Off,

A/V Sync 0

Oppo setup for SD Films Auto with these settings.

Output Resolution-Auto

All the rest of the Oppo setup settings are the same.

Picture Settings:

AV Selection: ISF-Night

Contrast: 24

Brightness:-1

Color: +4

Tint: 0

Sharpness: -15

Pure Cinema: 2 (Advance)

Black Level: 0 (Off)

CTI: 0 (Off)

Color Space: 2

Color Temp: 6 (Manual)

Screen size 0 (Dot By Dot)

ACL: 0 (Off)

3DYC: 2

I-P Mode: 2

Text Optimization: 0 (Off)

Intelligent Mode: 0 (Off)

DRE Picture: 0 (Off)

Enhancer Mode: 1

Block NR: 0 (Off)

3DNR: 0 (Off)

Field NR: 0 (Off)

Mosquito NR: 0 (Off)

Power Save Mode: Off

Orbiter: Mode 0 or you can turn on

RGB Controls

R High: 0

G High: 0

B High:+16

R Low: =2

G Low: 0

B Low: 0

Color Management

R: 0

Y: +1

G: 0

C: 0

B: 0

M: -1 or -2

Gamma

10%R 0

10%G 0

10%B 0

20%R 0

20%G 0

20%B 0

30%R 0

30%G 0

30%B 0

40%R 0

40%G 0

40%B 0

50%R 0

50%G 0

50%B 0

60%R 0

60%G 0

60%B 0

70%R 0

70%G 0

70%B 0

80%R 0

80%G 0

80%B 0

90%R 0

90%G 0

90%B 0

Template by D-Nice

See less See more
#5,027 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinguinn /forum/post/19534817

So I'm moving from NYC to Austin, TX...but since I've been in a small apartment, I didn't keep my box. Any suggestions?

There are places that can do packing and even foaming but it depends on how you plan to move it. The large panels are delicate and the original box actually wasn't all that great so you have a chance to do better. A nice wooden crate with compliant foam panels would be a much better choice than the original cardboard box and polystyrene inserts.

Ideally you'd crate it and drive it down yourself in a passenger van. Next choice would be a crate on a pallet in a moving van and the last choice would be a generic freight company (FedEx, UPS, etc).

#5,028 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom /forum/post/19536557

There are places that can do packing and even foaming but it depends on how you plan to move it. The large panels are delicate and the original box actually wasn't all that great so you have a chance to do better. A nice wooden crate with compliant foam panels would be a much better choice than the original cardboard box and polystyrene inserts.

Ideally you'd crate it and drive it down yourself in a passenger van. Next choice would be a crate on a pallet in a moving van and the last choice would be a generic freight company (FedEx, UPS, etc).

Bodosom, who makes these foam panels?

#5,029 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmen82
Bodosom, who makes these foam panels?
I don't know. I'd get a viscoelastic mattress pad (or two) and cut the panels out of that. Failing that any large craft store will have a variety of foam panels in varying shapes and densities.

#5,030 ·
This is the kind of convoluted foam mattress pads I have bought from Walmart in the past quite a few times specifically just for shipping all sorts of various A/V gear I have sold, it works very well, I never had anything I sold arrive damaged. You probably can also find lower cost versions of it in the store, I think the most I paid at my local Walmart for one twin size pad was about $10-$15.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Val-Med-Ho...d-Pad/14880409

#5,031 ·
Has anyone connected a computer to their 141 for internet browsing?

If so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth it? Is there a resolution that is easy to see from 8'-9' feet away, or am I going to be frustrated trying to read the screen from that distance.

I assume a wireless keyboard and mouse is a must?

#5,032 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff /forum/post/19544069

Has anyone connected a computer to their 141 for internet browsing?

If so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth it? Is there a resolution that is easy to see from 8'-9' feet away, or am I going to be frustrated trying to read the screen from that distance.

I assume a wireless keyboard and mouse is a must?

When I purchased my 141 I also purchased a wireless keyboard so I could surf the net. Turns out it was a waste of money for me as I much preferred just using a laptop. I still use my computer on the 141 to show movies, pics, family videos...etc. But for internet, the laptop is much better.

And yes I had to zoom the internet view settings to be able to read text. Also had to lower the resolution and change font size on the desktop.

#5,033 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinguinn /forum/post/19534817

So I'm moving from NYC to Austin, TX...but since I've been in a small apartment, I didn't keep my box. Any suggestions? Called Pioneer, but they said they couldn't get me a replacement box. Anyone want to sell their box? Or does anyone have experience moving this behemoth without the factory box? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone knows of a calibrator that can calibrate my set in Austin (D-Nice maybe?), that would be great too!

Thank You...

Hey there! If you are renting a uhaul truck, then all you have to do is pad and stretchwrap the kuro really well, put your mattress against the wall of the truck, then put the kuro face first against the mattress and then the box springs against the back- sandwiching it. Then strap the sandwich tight against the wall- but most important put several layers of padding under the stand of the kuro to eliminate vibrations. Then make sure you drive gently. This will be alot easier than crating it. Regarding the calibration- I live in Dallas and always use Jeff Meier who is one of the best so give him a call or shoot him an email - he comes to Texas at least once a year! Welcome to Texas man!

#5,034 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish
I live in Dallas and always use Jeff Meier who is one of the best so give him a call or shoot him an email - he comes to Texas at least once a year! Welcome to Texas man!
I can attest to that fact about Jeff Meier (UMR), I worked with him on my 141 and this guy really knows what he is doing. Plus he has the best calibration equipment I have ever seen.

ss

#5,036 ·
I just came across this review of the 101FD which also includes some settings. it's old, however, it's the first time I've seen it and the settings may be worth trying out if you cant get your set professionally calibrated.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...nitor-settings

Also, I would like to say that I recently contacted Jeff (UMR) regarding a calibration and he was very friendly and promptly responded to my questions. I can't wait to meet him and have him work his magic on my TV this coming April.

#5,037 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr /forum/post/19571975

I will be in Austin in February.

Jeff the more I know about a ISF Calibration the more I realize that just having and knowing how to use hardware (I1pro) and software (Calman) like I use is not nearly enough. imo having a program like Calman and knowing how to use it really is not going to get you were you want to be. Matter of fact most posted settings are a joke and so is using a program like Calman if you go by the numbers (charts and graphs).

As I told you I still can't beat your settings. Even though when I run your settings using my I1Pro and Calman the charts and graphs say your settings should be bad and even though I can get spot on with Calman's Charts and graphs I can't get the great results you get.

#5,038 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally /forum/post/19572907

Jeff the more I know about a ISF Calibration the more I realize that just having and knowing how to use hardware (I1pro) and software (Calman) like I use is not nearly enough. imo having a program like Calman and knowing how to use it really is not going to get you were you want to be. Matter of fact most posted settings are a joke and so is using a program like Calman if you go by the numbers (charts and graphs).

As I told you I still can't beat your settings. Even though when I run your settings using my I1Pro and Calman the charts and graphs say your settings should be bad and even though I can get spot on with Calman's Charts and graphs I can't get the great results you get.

I've added your comments to the Elite 141 owner's list as "UMR's results (ART?) as seen by sillysally". Your views of calibration point out something that a lot of people miss.

If others are new to the owner's calibration lists, check out the link at the bottom of my post. See post number two for the Pioneer plasma displays.

#5,039 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits /forum/post/0

I've added your comments to the Elite 141 owner's list as "UMR's ART as seen by sillysally". Your views of calibration point out something that a lot of people miss.

If others are new to the owner's calibration lists, check out the link at the bottom of my post. See post number two for the Pioneer plasma displays.

Actually, it is not art. I have different tools that will deliver superior results which are visible.

#5,040 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr /forum/post/19573506

Actually, it is not art. I have different tools that will deliver superior results which are visible.

Having seen the results more than once, I agree ... but you still do a final check of your tools results and that's art to some of us. Maybe I read "art" into sillysally's comments.

Some revisions done.

#5,042 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob /forum/post/0

Different from what, Jeff? "Standard" meters?

bob

More ways than that. Although that is part of the sauce. I have also developed a different set of metrics than any I have seen that focus on the key characterizes of image reproduction. Instead of the tangential ones frequently discussed.

#5,043 ·
In other words, you are adding your subjective interpretations on how something should look instead of only looking at the numbers. At least I hope that is what you mean.

I think that would be classified as art not "better" equipment. You are not the only one who has a PR-670. One person in particular has multiple instances of sloppy work with their PR-670. The individual makes the equipment, not the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr /forum/post/19577218

I have also developed a different set of metrics than any I have seen that focus on the key characterizes of image reproduction. Instead of the tangential ones frequently discussed.

#5,044 ·
I just got a new in box 141 at a local high end AV shop. Great price, and I am blown away but the picture. I am replacing a 50 inch Fujitsu, so I had a great set already, but I am speechless.

I am currently only playing standard def dvd's with my Panny xp30, and the results look great on this monitor. I assume the up-scaling is handled by the monitor, and is being done flawlessly. I was going to get a blue ray, but was not sure if it was worth it (also, even with the pricing I got, wife is not thrilled with additional spend). I know pure blue ray is supposed to be better, and I assume it would be, but I own almost 800 standard def discs and the sales person i was dealing with said I needed to spend big bucks on a blue ray that up-scales well.

Should I stay with what I have, or go with something like the new Panny BD85 which I plays blue ray and also up-scales well and is under $200 at this point (and even if it does not upscale as well as a higher price point unit, the monitor up-scaling would take over and I would not notice any difference)?

Thanks, and glad to be part of this forum.

Mike

#5,045 ·
You really need to get a bluray player to see the full potential of this display. If I were you I would either find a used Denon 3800BDCI or you could get a new Oppo or a PS3 and any of these spinning bd will smoke sdvd. If you can find either the Denon or the Oppo then your sdvd collection will look even better than it does now on the kuro. Once you go bluray on the kuro, you will never want to go back to sdvd unless you absolutely have to.

#5,046 ·
If SD upconversion is a priority, you will need to look into purchasing an Oppo 83, Oppo 93 or Pioneer Elite 09 blu-ray player. A Panasonic BD85 isn't going to cut it when it comes to SD upconversion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by math08 /forum/post/19601658

I just got a new in box 141 at a local high end AV shop. Great price, and I am blown away but the picture. I am replacing a 50 inch Fujitsu, so I had a great set already, but I am speechless.

I am currently only playing standard def dvd's with my Panny xp30, and the results look great on this monitor. I assume the up-scaling is handled by the monitor, and is being done flawlessly. I was going to get a blue ray, but was not sure if it was worth it (also, even with the pricing I got, wife is not thrilled with additional spend). I know pure blue ray is supposed to be better, and I assume it would be, but I own almost 800 standard def discs and the sales person i was dealing with said I needed to spend big bucks on a blue ray that up-scales well.

Should I stay with what I have, or go with something like the new Panny BD85 which I plays blue ray and also up-scales well and is under $200 at this point (and even if it does not upscale as well as a higher price point unit, the monitor up-scaling would take over and I would not notice any difference)?

Thanks, and glad to be part of this forum.

Mike

#5,047 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by math08 /forum/post/19601658

I just got a new in box 141 at a local high end AV shop.

Wow - great find! Any others available? A friend is still kicking himself for not buying one...

#5,048 ·
I had mine calibrated by UMR right out of the box and he said that it would be just fine- why does everyone see the need to put additional hours on this set for break in when they already did 100 hours at the factory. I would think that other owners would rather be enjoying those extra 100 to 150 hours watching blurays or a season of HD NFL.

#5,049 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish /forum/post/19613012

I had mine calibrated by UMR right out of the box and he said that it would be just fine- why does everyone see the need to put additional hours on this set for break in when they already did 100 hours at the factory. I would think that other owners would rather be enjoying those extra 100 to 150 hours watching blurays or a season of HD NFL.

All Plasmas go through a "burn-in" at the factory. However, that "burn-in" does not account for voltage shifts that happen within the first 150 hours of the panel "on time". If you had your display calibrated right out of the box, cool. However, it is was not ideal for calibration and would have needed an adjustment after about 150 hours of "on time".

#5,050 ·
I'm thinking about selling my Pro 101-FD 50" plasma but i'm not sure what kind of price i can get for it. I just paid $2500 from best buy a few months ago, and I'm thinking of going with something bigger, like a 65" panny, maybe the P65S2. I am not ready to post on the classified section yet, i wanted to see if there is still a market for these things. Its not calibrated yet, no problems at all, no burn in, IR, no dead pixels, it would include stand, hardware, remote, manual with box, cloth, all that stuff. I'm 40 miles from NYC.

The size thing has been eating away at me, the more I look at this TV from 12 feet way, the more it seems too small for movies.

I have to start doing some research on the new S2 Panasonics. My co-worker says to keep an eye out on the newer technologies coming out soon. I think if I'm going to sell it, i should do it sooner than later.

Am I crazy for wanting to sell this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.