AVS Forum banner

HDMI over Cat5e problems and solutions, read before posting

289K views 516 replies 166 participants last post by  Emosewa09 
#1 ·

Welcome to the HDMI Extension Discussion Thread!

This thread exists to serve several devious purposes:
  1. document which combinations of equipment work great/okay/poorly
  2. civilly discuss the nature and technology of HDMI extenders

Public Service Reminders

In my personal experience with all that this thread has had to offer, the most important lessons learned are as follows:
  • Most all extenders will work at 1080i60 and many also at 1080p24 without issue. If anyone is planning on running only 1080p24, 1080i, 720i/p, or less, then they shouldn't stress and instead just go try any of the LESS expensive extenders first.
  • 1080p60 is a much different beast with double (or more) the data rate for full 1080p60 than other formats (1080i, 1080p24, 720p, etc). Doubling the data rate for full 1080p60 is a pretty daunting task and is where most extenders differentiate themselves or flat out fall apart.
  • All the wireless extenders that I have researched (as of mid 2011) add compression. Whether or not the compression will bother the viewer, of course, can only be decided by the viewer. My recommendation is to always buy-and-try (whether wired or wireless), but make sure you have a good return policy, covering even if you simply and SUBJECTIVELY do not like it. Many retailers will only exchange and only in the case of a faulty unit. Others charge obscene "restocking" fees. Still others make you pay for shipping both ways and only refund the pre-shipping purchase price. Don't expect a full refund plus shipping charges both ways- few offer such generous policies. But be aware of what you WILL be charged should you not like your choice or it not work out as you hoped.

Keep in mind also that these are all generalities and the internet phrase "YMMV" (your mileage may vary) applies greatly to this entire thread!

"Try This First" Tips and Tricks

There are a few things to try first; include results of these tests in your posts to let people know what you've already tried (and how each went). If some tricks kind-of work, let folks know that. All of this information will be useful to those trying to help you solve your HDMI extension problems. Good Luck!

• Try turning off your "bandwidth increasers--" deep color, 3D, etc.  If the link is unstable because you're pushing too much water through the proverbial pipe, then reducing the flow can help.

• Try to go down a resolution notch or two..  try 1080i, try 720p, even try 480p. There is always a chance that the adapter is DOA (dead on arrival). Rare, but it happens.  Likewise, there is a chance that the adapter simply doesn't work with your source hardware.  Some boxes require HDCP that the source (like a PC) might not provide. Other adapters don't support HDCP that the far-end display requires.

• Try a short pre-made patch cable.  DIY terminations can and have been causes of some people's problems in the past.  If you have a 6' premade Cat5e or Cat6 patch cable, try it first.  Caveat to that statement is that some extenders are expecting to run over a longer distance and sometimes "overdrive" the cable on the signal, meaning that if you use a short patch cable, it may overdrive the receiver and not work, where a longer cable would. (After all, if you have a short run between adapters, why use the adapters in the first place?) Along those lines, if you have access to long pre-made patch cables (50' or more), try it too.  Even if you only need 15', if a 50' cable works, find a place to coil up the remaining 35' and just leave it!

• Try other sources. You're PS3 is having problems? What about a Bluray player? DVR? DVD player with HDMI out? AVR?

Which is better- HDMI or Component Video?

Let's be clear here with a few things:
  • As far as physics go, triple run RG6 for Component Video (5x run if you also want L/R stereo sound with each wire on its own RCA connector) *beats the pants off HDMI*
  • RG6 / RG6QS can carry a much higher bandwidth signal, much farther, with much less loss (or skew). It's not RG6 that's the problem, it's the industry and the content producers. In short, it's content protection that is the problem.
  • Content producers lobbied hard (and quite successfully) for TV equipment makers to restrict component video inputs and outputs to 1080i60, and in many cases, even less than 1080i. So even if you WANT to run component video- often you can't. At least, not a full 1080p signal.
  • HDMI does work well- when it works. But it was never designed to span long distances, or chain through a dozen different devices. It supports 1080p60 and higher, with embedded audio, CEC, audio-return, Ethernet, and said content protection, all in ONE multi-conductor cable. For what it is, it's a remarkable creation! But for what it is, it's also wrought with problems from implementation differences (interoperability problems between devices from different manufacturers) to signal glitches over longer runs, to strange, unexpected random problems when a cable starts going bad. It's technology at it's peak- remarkable when working properly; a nightmare when it's not.

So that leaves the unassuming user at a crossroads. 1080i over component video is rock solid all the time and even at absurdly long lengths-- but it's only 1080i. HDMI cables are markedly more feature-rich and much more convenient, with limitations in connector rigidity (bend/tug/weight stress on HDMI connectors generally decreases reliability life) and overall length.

HDMI extenders are trying to bridge the gap. From all we've seen in this unscientific thread, solution "A" will work absolute wonders for some users and be abysmal for other users. solution "B" will be the opposite. It does not look yet like any one single solution is a true "problem solver for everyone."

New HDbaseT solutions are beginning to hit the market. It will be interesting to see how they fare.

Please read this paragraph before posting

The bottom of this first post documents the combinations reporting to this thread as of the last-edited-date. Whether you are just beginning to search for an HDMI extender, or if you're ready to throw your Wii remote at your Plasma because nothing is working, check out the list below to see if there is a combination already tried that may be similar to your setup.No matter what you do -- please contribute to this thread! What worked well, what worked poorly, and everything else in between. If you don't know whether or not your cable is Cat5, 5e, 6, 6, shielded, termination style, etc-- don't worry. Give us the information you have and we'll go from there.

For the list, scroll down to "Products that are being used in this thread and their success"

Good luck!

..dane

Original Thread Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane on 25 Aug 2010 /forum/post/0

I'm ASSUMING that this is related to power glitches, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this and could give me some other things to look into...

When the air conditioner kicks on OR off, video on my panasonic tc-p50g10 blanks out for a moment, then recovers. When A/C kicks on, the blank lasts a little longer and has to renegotiate HDMI.. When the A/C shuts off, the video blinks but doesn't have the delays associated with renegotiation.

I am assuming that this is causing powerline glitches, and that it's not some sort of EMI issue. I was EXTREMELY careful when building this new family room though-- it has its own dedicated 30A circuit with nothing else on it besides my A/V equipment (no lights, dimmers, fans, etc)... I also took care to run the power and A/V cables away from each other, and also isolated from OTHER circuits around the house. This circuit goes up and across the ceiling rather than "around the room" through the studs like all the other outlets.

I don't seem to recall it happening before I got my DVDO Edge video processor, but then again I wasn't running HDMI exclusively before the Edge. HDMI was only for bluray before the Edge was put in place.. I have since added a high def Tivo that has HDMI out, so that is another option to try (in case the Edge might be more/overly sensitive to power glitches than everything else in the system). To be clear though, it was already happening before the new Tivo came along, so I know it's not the Tivo.

I am borrowing two UPS's from the office tonight and am going to plug in all A/V equipment to them (TV in one, A/V rack in the other) and see if it still happens. But aside from that-- are there any other things I should look for? Are there any small yet useful tools that can be had inexpensively to measure such "glitches" on the A/V power circuit?

thanks!!

..dane

First Thread Update
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane on 17 Nov 2010 /forum/post/0

( extracted from thread reply #84 )

Well I'm pleased to say that I have been testing out a single-CatX extender (as opposed on the dual-CatX extender that a I have been using) for the past week or so and my problems seem to have vanished. Still using the same Cat5e self-terminated cable (just one instead of two). I don't want to be too premature, but so far I have yet to see any glitching occur--- even when I flip the ceiling fan switch like a mad-man (fast, repeatedly, one-shot, super-slow to hear the arc'ing inside the switch, etc).

I don't know how these single-CatX adapters work (yet, tee hee hee), but if this unit is any indication of the single- vs dual-catX technology, then I'd recommend folks start looking into the single-CatX solutions. Until I saw beemer533's post above about a single-CatX extender for $95, I wasn't sure of any single-CatX extenders out there that hit the same price-point as the (lower-cost) dual-CatX extenders. I would very much be interested in trying out the $95 PI single-CatX extender but at this point I have a solution and I'd just as soon leave it well-enough-alone!

I am now using one of these:
XTENDEX® ST-C5HDMI-150

It is truly "plug and play." --- But to be fair, the Arkview extender was truly "plug and play" as well, but just had this debilitating vulnerability to AC motor on/off cycling --- This unit however (so far!) does not seem to have the same vulnerability, and I also like that I can plug in the AC wall adapter for the pair at the source end rather than forced to plug in power at the destination end (the Arkview extender). All that's now plugged into the power strip at the far end now is the TV, and I'd rather keep it that way...

Good luck to EVERYONE else experiencing this problem. With as many views as this thread has received to-date, it is clear there is a problem out there that is not yet well enough understood to fix it once-and-for-all.

cheers,

..dane

Latest Thread Update

Products that are being used in this thread and their success

last updated 10 May 2013

See less See more
#152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaycoolJr /forum/post/19978498

Ok. So which is the least expensive single cable kit that is known to work well?

Ah, that is the $64,000 question. Unfortunately there is no clear answer. HDMI performance depends on the cable, all the electronics involved, the bit rate, and the environment. Each of our situations is different. What works for someone else may not work for you.
Quote:
I'm only going 50 feet so that shouldn't be a problem.

Apparently you did not read the posts above...

Some trends seem clear. Inexpensive unpowered or line powered devices seem to have a dismal record. Powered two cable devices seem to work for some but not for others. And expensive single cable devices seem to work quite well.

The primary purpose of this thread is to identify combinations that are known to work. So, when you find one, please document everything here.

#153 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm
Yes, but ten bits are transmitted for every clock. The symbol rate is ten times that.

Unfortunately, you don't seem to know enough about HDMI yet to apply your experience aptly. I am sure that you could pick it up fast enough if you wanted to, though.

Here is a short explanation of the problems involved in transmitting HDMI over Cat cables.
Interesting Article Colm. Thanks fore the link!

#154 ·
Since Colm seems to have already answered everyone's recent posts, I'll just add a few notes. Thanks Colm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/19979060

No need, Valens has a chip set that they are trying to establish as a standard ( HDBaseT ) that transmits HDMI over a single Cat cable up to 100m. Don't know if that will ever happen. Only a few companies seem to have joined the organization, and consumer devices incorporating the technology are still missing. But some companies, including Gefen, use the chipset in some of their HDMI extenders.

I do wish this would take off. It seems to be the "thought out approach" that custom-installers and enthusiasts alike would faun over. Alas the "best" solutions aren't always what make it main-stream...

The other point worth mentioning here is that Gefen extenders are not all created equal either. I am by FAR no pro on Gefen equipment, but being "this close" to buying some during this journey led me to reading all the forum posts about their equipment and I found far more negative posts than positive ones. I do realize people tend to get online more when there is a problem than when it works the way it should, but the sheer number of negative posts web-wide about Gefen equipment made me look elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by partial quote from Colm /forum/post/19979145

Unfortunately there is no clear answer. HDMI performance depends on the cable, all the electronics involved, the bit rate, and the environment. Each of our situations is different. What works for someone else may not work for you.

Some trends seem clear. Inexpensive unpowered or line powered devices seem to have a dismal record. Powered two cable devices seem to work for some but not for others. And expensive single cable devices seem to work quite well.

Interestingly it seems a few people had better luck with powered dual-cable extenders than powered single-cable extenders. Since all we have to go on is their word, there's no way to judge definitively what is the "best" equipment for your situation. The "over-generalized-trend" however is as Colm mentioned-- single extenders seem to work better than dual extenders.

The bottom of the first post is intended to capture the test cases (and their success rates) of those reported to this thread to-date. Have a look there and see if anyone's configuration looks similar to yours. Maybe that can help guide you for the best place to start.

Other than that, just make sure you buy from a company that has a return policy, in case you need to try different solutions before settling on the best approach for your situation. Be aware that many online retailers now charge restocking fees even if returned in mint condition. Sometimes even if still in plastic wrap.

good luck, and report back what you try and how it works out!

cheers,

..dane

#155 ·
Just as a quick note ... Since the thread is getting long enough now that people aren't reading through all of it -- I have reformatted the first post of the thread hopefully to be more readable and help better guide newcomers to our corner of the site.

If a different organization would be better, feel free to drop me a message .

..dane

#156 ·
Audiodane,

Great compilation! Maybe you may want to re-name the thread as just HDMI over Cat5/Cat6? Just a thought - I still found this thread, but the last part with 'video/fan etc." almost threw me off.

Good thread BTW!!! And, lots of great info from Colm. I'll post once I get and extender (was doing my research and this thread is great for that).

Thanks,

Ray

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon /forum/post/19988171

Audiodane,

Great compilation! Maybe you may want to re-name the thread as just HDMI over Cat5/Cat6? Just a thought - I still found this thread, but the last part with 'video/fan etc." almost threw me off.

Good thread BTW!!! And, lots of great info from Colm. I'll post once I get and extender (was doing my research and this thread is great for that).

Thanks,

Ray

Tee hee hee, this thread has already been renamed two or three times, as it has evolved to what it is today.
Most people find this thread because they are actually having problems with fans, A/C units, etc. So it helps to have that in the title. That said, feel free to recommend something different. It can't be anything longer than it already is ..

cheers,

..dane

#158 ·
^^^ Ahhh, thanks for clearing it up - I'm new to this thread. Keep it as is then if people are using those words in the search.

Keep this thread up! I think it'll get a lot more traffic in the future when folks move over to projectors (or want to move their equipment out of the movie room).

Thanks,

Ray

#160 ·
Hey all,

So I finally tried to jump into this technology as well. I've been watching this thread and technology for months hoping that these solutions would solve my issues as well. Jump to the summary if you just want the raw data. I figured I would give my system details for completeness.I have a basement distribution setup with dual Russound CAV6.6 units, Scientific Atlanta cable boxes (Comcast), Sony Blu-Ray changer and Roku media streamer. Most rooms are wired with a single RG-6 and single Cat 5E (done before I purchased the house or there would have been more). Up to this point I have been using the CAV composite (yuck ) output to distribute to most rooms except the family room where there is component. So I have been watching this technology and also HDMI over single coax as options.I picked my longest run from the basement at ~90FT of CAT5e as my test port. This means to get to this location would be Source HDMI->Balun->Cat5e/6 15ft->Punch down panel->~90Ft Cat5e->Wall plate->2 Ft Cat5e/6->Balun->HDMI->TV. So this is a fairly tough run for many of the devices that list 100-150Ft for 1080P. Especially due to loss with the punch down/wall plate connections. Due to this I decided to go with HDBaseT solution since it is digital and good for 100M (330 Ft). I looked around and picked the Conversions Technology CTHMDI-100E since others had luck with the CT60 series analog unit.

SUMMARY
Unit: Conversions Technologies CTHDMI-100E (HDBaseT based)
Runs: ~110Ft Cat5e with punch down panel and wall plate connections at ends
Display Device: Samsung LN46C630

Source: Sony BDP-CX960 Blu-Ray Changer

Results: Success at full 1080P with HDCP

Source: Roku XD|S Media Streamer

Results: Success at full 1080P without HDCP (Roku didn't request it)

Source: Scientific Atlanta 4250HD Cable Box (Comcast)

Results: Failed to negotiate HDCP (CTHDMI displayed HDCP enabled but cable box claimed no HDCP support)

Source: Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR Cable Box (Comcast)

Results: Failed to negotiate HDCP (CTHDMI displayed HDCP enabled but cable box claimed no HDCP support)

Both cable boxes work perfectly directly connected to the display. I even went into the diagnostic screen on the SA box and watched the HDCP status screen. When plugged into the CT HDMI100E units it would switch to unknown display type and disable output. Once connected to TV it would immediately switch back to authorized within seconds.

So...in general I was impressed with the ease at which this unit dealt with a tough connection/distance run BUT obviously there is an incompatibility with the HDCP implementation on the SA boxes and this unit. I have put a request into CT support to see what they say but I assume it will be a no go. May try a CT60 unit as a replacement.

--Bill

#161 ·
Sorry, busy busy at work the past two weeks... starting to slow down again now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark /forum/post/20009775

I had this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?t=1307318#

and it didnt work past 720P.

I bought this like most other people:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=6532

and I'm good to go. I havent tested 1080p/24 yet, everything else is good. it is as advertised HDMI 1.2a and does not support 'deep color'

Thanks for the update. I will update the original post later (no time tonight). I recommend you go ahead and try to push it as hard as you can (1080p60, etc) while also cycling things like ceiling fans, washing machines, Air conditioning units, etc. For some the monoprice device you purchased work great. For others (like myself), the link is dropped momentarily when A/C glitches occur. Hopefully the one you picked will work flawlessly for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletour /forum/post/20013661

I picked my longest run from the basement at ~90FT of CAT5e as my test port. This means to get to this location would be Source HDMI->Balun->Cat5e/6 15ft->Punch down panel->~90Ft Cat5e->Wall plate->2 Ft Cat5e/6->Balun->HDMI->TV. So this is a fairly tough run for many of the devices that list 100-150Ft for 1080P. Especially due to loss with the punch down/wall plate connections. Due to this I decided to go with HDBaseT solution since it is digital and good for 100M (330 Ft). I looked around and picked the Conversions Technology CTHMDI-100E since others had luck with the CT60 series analog unit.

Wow Bill, thanks for the detailed post. You've got quite a setup there. A few points to note:

- I'm surprised that you are running your connections through so many patch panels/connectors. I imagine you've seen all the suggestions elsewhere on the interweb that any inline-coupler/connector is a bad idea. Is there any possible way you can run a single cable all that way and retest? It would be an interesting datapoint.

- The fact that some devices work and some do not does not surprise me at all, based on the way this thread has progressed. The monoprice 4x2 swtich seems to work well for many people. Have you considered trying it between one of your problem devices and the HDMI extender? It could be that the cableboxes don't have a "good enough" HDMI output to properly drive your extender. Such an idea seems quiet extremely silly ("a digital output is a digital output, right?" .. apparently not?), but that's the reality of what I've found in my testing.

I'll update the first post later with your to-date testing as well. thank you for the submission!

..dane

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletour /forum/post/20013661

...there is an incompatibility with the HDCP implementation on the SA boxes and this unit.

The question is, is the problem in the extender, the cable boxes, or both? FWIW some source devices don't handle HDCP with repeaters well. And cable boxes in general have a dismal record as far as HDMI goes to start with.

#163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane /forum/post/20023915

- I'm surprised that you are running your connections through so many patch panels/connectors. I imagine you've seen all the suggestions elsewhere on the interweb that any inline-coupler/connector is a bad idea. Is there any possible way you can run a single cable all that way and retest? It would be an interesting datapoint.

- The fact that some devices work and some do not does not surprise me at all, based on the way this thread has progressed. The monoprice 4x2 swtich seems to work well for many people. Have you considered trying it between one of your problem devices and the HDMI extender? It could be that the cableboxes don't have a "good enough" HDMI output to properly drive your extender. Such an idea seems quiet extremely silly ("a digital output is a digital output, right?" .. apparently not?), but that's the reality of what I've found in my testing.

..dane

I did try a single cable run as well. I actually hauled the cable box, a single 6Ft Cat6, and both Extender pieces to the TV. Still no such luck. So the cable box had a 3Ft HDMI to extender -> 6 Ft Cat6 -> extender and then 3Ft HDMI with the same results. So that didn't work.

From reading posts online on these SA cable boxes the HDMI seems to be an issue in general for a lot of people. Many have issues if they try to put the HDMI through their AV Receiver to switch as well. I am pretty certain they are slightly "non-compliant" and although they work with the TV directly the don't like the HDCP going through the extender.

Putting another switch in the middle is possible... I can try that.

--Bill

#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/20024353

The question is, is the problem in the extender, the cable boxes, or both? FWIW some source devices don't handle HDCP with repeaters well. And cable boxes in general have a dismal record as far as HDMI goes to start with.

That is the $1000 question. According to many online posts these SA boxes have issues switching through things like receivers as well so I am leaning towards them being the issue. Especially since the extender worked so well with the Sony Blu-Ray and Roku. I can't 100% confirm it but the cable box is my gut feeling.

I have contacted Comcast about any possible firmware upgrades for the cable boxes or a possible swap out with a newer model (if available). I will see what they say.
--Bill

#165 ·
i'm relatively new here, but thought I'd report my success with the Mediabridge - Dual-Cat5e HDMI Extender; got it for $38 on Amazon.

Source: Cox Communications CableTV HD-DVR

Test Setup: HD-DVR -> 6' HDMI cable -> HDMI keystone (monoprice) -> Mediabridge HDMI/Cat5e sender -> 2x 14' of cat5e cable (slightly different lengths due to a crimping failure on one) -> HDMI keystone (monoprice) -> 6' HDMI cable -> Samsung UN55B6000 TV.

Video Resolutions tested: 1080i,720p

Audio: success/ok (i saw some reports of audio not working, so i wanted to mention this)

Also tested the following for 1080p:

Source: Samsung BD-P1600 blu-ray player

Test Setup: Blu-Ray player -> 6' HDMI cable -> HDMI keystone (monoprice) -> Mediabridge HDMI/Cat5e sender -> 2x 14' of cat5e cable (slightly different lengths due to a crimping failure on one) -> HDMI keystone (monoprice) -> 6' HDMI cable -> Samsung UN55B6000 TV.

Video Resolutions tested: 1080p

Audio: success/ok

I'm in the middle of re-building my theater setup/room and so before I put this stuff inside the wall, i've been testing it. So far, I'm very satisfied with this Mediabridge solution as it solves an issue I was having with HDMI cables getting through a corner of a wall. I actually still need to test it with the receiver which is what will eventually be connected to the TV directly.

I had a cat5e issue where one of the cables wasn't giving me 1Gbps transfer speeds (about 125MBytes/sec if your testing software tells you in bytes instead of bits, but I'm usually happy if I see 110MBytes-120MBytes/sec) when I tested the cable on the computer network. the issue was narrowed down to a bad crimp in one of the RJ-45 connectors. Once i cut that off and crimped on a new connector the issue went away completely. This is why one of my cat5e 14' cables is about 1 inch shorter than the other. The tiny length difference hasn't shown any issues. This is just for testing right now as I had a spool of cat5e laying around. Ultimately, I'll be using cat6 cable as I don't want to cut open the drywall again once i put the cable in the walls.

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOriginalGuru /forum/post/20079814

i'm relatively new here, but thought I'd report my success with the Mediabridge - Dual-Cat5e HDMI Extender; got it for $38 on Amazon.

Source: Cox Communications CableTV HD-DVR

Test Setup: HD-DVR -> 6' HDMI cable -> HDMI keystone (monoprice) -> Mediabridge HDMI/Cat5e sender -> 2x 14' of cat5e cable (slightly different lengths due to a crimping failure on one) -> HDMI keystone (monoprice) -> 6' HDMI cable -> Samsung UN55B6000 TV.

Video Resolutions tested: 1080i,720p

Audio: success/ok (i saw some reports of audio not working, so i wanted to mention this)

Also tested the following for 1080p:

Source: Samsung BD-P1600 blu-ray player

Test Setup: Blu-Ray player -> 6' HDMI cable -> HDMI keystone (monoprice) -> Mediabridge HDMI/Cat5e sender -> 2x 14' of cat5e cable (slightly different lengths due to a crimping failure on one) -> HDMI keystone (monoprice) -> 6' HDMI cable -> Samsung UN55B6000 TV.

Video Resolutions tested: 1080p

Audio: success/ok

I'm in the middle of re-building my theater setup/room and so before I put this stuff inside the wall, i've been testing it. So far, I'm very satisfied with this Mediabridge solution as it solves an issue I was having with HDMI cables getting through a corner of a wall. I actually still need to test it with the receiver which is what will eventually be connected to the TV directly.

I had a cat5e issue where one of the cables wasn't giving me 1Gbps transfer speeds (about 125MBytes/sec if your testing software tells you in bytes instead of bits, but I'm usually happy if I see 110MBytes-120MBytes/sec) when I tested the cable on the computer network. the issue was narrowed down to a bad crimp in one of the RJ-45 connectors. Once i cut that off and crimped on a new connector the issue went away completely. This is why one of my cat5e 14' cables is about 1 inch shorter than the other. The tiny length difference hasn't shown any issues. This is just for testing right now as I had a spool of cat5e laying around. Ultimately, I'll be using cat6 cable as I don't want to cut open the drywall again once i put the cable in the walls.

just wanted to follow up on this with some disappointing news. I finally got around to test the setup with my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR707) with this Mediabridge HDMI extender, a lot of stuff stopped working. I even upgraded to some high quality cat6 of equal length (14ft) and still no go. Here's the specific setup:

Source: Cox DVR, Samsung BD-P1600

Test Setup: Onkyo TX-SR707 -> 6' HDMI cable -> HDMI keystone (monoprice) -> Mediabridge HDMI/Cat5e sender -> 2x 14' of cat6 cable -> Mediabridge HDMI/cat5e receiver -> HDMI keystone (monoprice) -> 3' HDMI cable -> Samsung UN55B6000 TV.

My Cox DVR, BD-P1600 blu-ray player are connected to the TX-SR707. Cox outputs 1080i, but I get nothing on the screen. When I play a blu-ray movie, it only outputs 480/p. When I play a DVD in the blu-ray player, it works fine (480p). Using passthru video on the TX-SR707, but even when I tried to set the output manually, doesn't work.

When I take the TX-SR707 out of the picture, i get 1080/p out of the blu-ray no problem. Anyone think it's worth trying cat6a STP instead? Or is there just something between the Mediabridge extender and the TX-SR707 that just doesn't want to work regardless of cable quality?

#167 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOriginalGuru
My Cox DVR, BD-P1600 blu-ray player are connected to the TX-SR707. Cox outputs 1080i, but I get nothing on the screen. When I play a blu-ray movie, it only outputs 480/p. When I play a DVD in the blu-ray player, it works fine (480p). Using passthru video on the TX-SR707, but even when I tried to set the output manually, doesn't work.

When I take the TX-SR707 out of the picture, i get 1080/p out of the blu-ray no problem. Anyone think it's worth trying cat6a STP instead? Or is there just something between the Mediabridge extender and the TX-SR707 that just doesn't want to work regardless of cable quality?
I would lean towards something between the Mediabridge and the TX-SR707. I know there is some sort of HDCP passthrough that needs to be used when switching through a receiver and maybe the Mediabridge doesn't like that bit set and HD is getting rejected.

Only my best guess but it doesn't sound like a distance issue to me.

--Bill

#168 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bletour
I would lean towards something between the Mediabridge and the TX-SR707. I know there is some sort of HDCP passthrough that needs to be used when switching through a receiver and maybe the Mediabridge doesn't like that bit set and HD is getting rejected.

Only my best guess but it doesn't sound like a distance issue to me.

--Bill
I tend to agree that the problem is probably with the mediabridge... they were kind enough to send me another one to try out, but i'm not 100% hopeful about it. their support by the way has been very friendly and professional; no hassle at all.

Although, doesn't the blu-ray player to TV connection require HDCP too? that worked with the mediabridge w/o the receiver... so, i can't understand why it won't work now with the TX-SR707 in between... it does seem to be a "HD" related thing as 480/p works....

#169 ·
Looks like the Monoprice extenders I am running finally bit the dust. I attribute the failure due to extreme heating of the receiving unit. It is powered, unlike the sending unit, and it was very very hot to the touch. I'll send it back and get another pair. My plan is to either unplug when not in use (it has been plugged in since I posted in this thread originally) or devise a simple fan/heatsink for the device.

I'll post more when I get time to work on it.

Thanks!

-Chris

#171 ·
I am using a J-tech hdmi extender using cat7 cable. The cable is 25' long and the two hdmi cables on each end are 3' mediabridge hdmi over ehternet cable. I am connecting a DVDO edge (LG Blueray connected) to a Knoll HDP-1200 projector. When entering into the EDGE settings, it does not allow me to access the deep color output settings. Has anyone used this hdmi extender, and what exactly are the implications of the Edge problems? THANKS FOR ANY HELP.... I originally started with a 50' Monster HDMI cable but had connection problems.

#172 ·
I am actually going to use 50' cat7 sstp cable. My hopes are to create a system which allows quality equal to the use of a short run HDMI cable rated at 10.2 Gps...Is that even possible? The extender uses 2 cat 7 cable and has a 5v power adapter for the receiver. Thanks again

I realize that this info may be found elsewhere in the myriad of threads, but was hoping you guys would allow me this one indiscretion since I need to make a decision soon on additional equipment which I might have to buy.

#173 ·
So finished up my basement remodel and two long HDMI runs that worked fine on testing prior to putting up the drywall aren't working. Luckily I had also run CAT6 to all locations (just in case) as well as conduit. Purchased 2 NXG adapters through Amazon. These are HDMI over a single CAT6 cable.

- Source-end: Comcast cable box, OPPO BDP-83

- CatX Adapter: NXG Technology NX-HDEXT160-1 (Amazon, $84.99)

- CatX Cables: Single cable runs (~50 foot and ~35 foot) of CAT6 (UTP, solid-core, Monoprice)

- Far-end: Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector or (old) Viewsonic N3250W LCD

- Resolution(s) tested: 720p, 1080i, 1080p60, 1080p24

Note that this also seems to work just fine running through the Monoprice 4X4 True Matrix HDMI 1.3a Powered Switch. No HDCP handshake issues.

#174 ·
I'd just like to add an update about my setup with dual cable passive extenders. They're still working fine. Amazon screwed up twice (the first time in all the orders I've placed with them) and sent Cat5e instead of Cat6 patch cords (molded connectors). Either way, they work fine.

To recount, I have a cheapo iSymphony 26" 720p TV in the kitchen connected via HDMI over the Monoprice extenders from Amazon. The source is a Dish 722k DVR, and the cables are 50' long. I still have no issues whatsoever. I did have an occasional problem when a rechargeable vacuum was plugged or unplugged into the same power strip as the TV, but connecting the TV directly into the outlet (instead of the strip) took care of the problem. If I had it to do again, I'd still go this route, as it was extremely cheap and works perfectly for me.

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumori /forum/post/20214120

So finished up my basement remodel and two long HDMI runs that worked fine on testing prior to putting up the drywall aren't working. Luckily I had also run CAT6 to all locations (just in case) as well as conduit. Purchased 2 NXG adapters through Amazon. These are HDMI over a single CAT6 cable.

- Source-end: Comcast cable box, OPPO BDP-83

- CatX Adapter: NXG Technology NX-HDEXT160-1 (Amazon, $84.99)

- CatX Cables: Single cable runs (~50 foot and ~35 foot) of CAT6 (UTP, solid-core, Monoprice)

- Far-end: Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector or (old) Viewsonic N3250W LCD

- Resolution(s) tested: 720p, 1080i, 1080p60, 1080p24

Note that this also seems to work just fine running through the Monoprice 4X4 True Matrix HDMI 1.3a Powered Switch. No HDCP handshake issues.

Thanks for the report on your success. I do have a question about the NX-HDEXT160-1, all the images of it I can find show two units, one input and one output but only the output has hdmi connection showing. Is it just a bad product image? I assume both the input and output units would need a hdmi connection for this to work or am I missing something....

thanks again.

#176 ·
Have any of you guys had any experience with the Snap AV single cat 5e hdmi extender? I have read good things about the product but cannot find a source to purchase one. They do not allow any of their dealers to advertise/sell online. They primarily sell their products to "integrators". I tried to purchase one of their single cat 5e extenders locally but the dealer would not sell to me without providing the installation of the product at an additional fee. Anyone know of any of our members who are Snap AV dealers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.