151FD Product Brochure

The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread

The Official 9G Pioneer General Discussion Thread

9G Elite Reviews

D-Nice's Review of the Pro-111FD

Sound and Vision's Review of the Pro-111FD

Ultimate AV's review of the Pro-111FD

CNet's review of the Pro-111FD

It seems I'm the first to get the PRO-151FD in this forum so I figured I'd start the Thread.

First impressions:

Can notice blacker blacks over 5010. It's hard to tell were the bezel ends with the black bars.

Initial start up is set to performance mode.

While in the menu. Very slight buzz when you put your head behind the set. Can't hear it in front at all. Haven't try TV or video yet but I will before I start break-in.

Update regarding buzz:

While running the break-in disc, I do hear a buzz which does change pitch from dark to light screens, light screens higher pitch, but I have to be 2 to 3 feet from the front to hear it and it's the same as my 5010. My DVR box is louder then the buzz.

Not the brightest backlite remote I've seen. It's a little hard to see if the room is very dark.

I like the menus better then the 5010. I didn't care for the windows xp-ish menus in the 5010.

It has a great tool menu that comes up from the bottom during viewing which you can change settings like picture mode and screen size. Here's the post of the picture. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=10

PRO-111FD/151FD Specs:

- High-Definition 1080p Resolution (1920 x 1080p)

- 50”/60" Diagonal Class / 16:9 Wide-Screen Aspect Ratio

- 1080 Progressive Image Reproduction with ability to accept 480i / 480p / 720p / 1080i / and TRUE 1080p 24fps signals

- New Deeper, Intense Blacks for Unmatched Contrast (5x Previous Generation)

- New Thinner Cosmetic Design with ››Elegant Acrylic Bezel

- New, Improved Optimum Mode. Automatically analyses and adjusts audio and video settings according to specific room light conditions and type of light and color. Program content is also monitored and finely adjusted so movies, sports and news are all faithfully reproduced. Includes OSD with status.

- New External Color Sensor

- Room Light Sensor for automatic picture adjustment adjustment

- PureCinema Smooth Film Motion mode to eliminate motion jutter in 3:2 Pulldown (60Hz) providing natural even playback of content created on film

- 4 Independent HDMI 1.3 inputs with HDMI-CEC control and the ability ››to accept 1080p 24/60Hz signal

- Standard 3:2 (60Hz) and Advanced PureCinema with 3:3 Pulldown (72Hz) for accurate playback of film content

- Fully integrated ATSC and NTSC Tuner with Clear QAM

- Home Media Gallery – offering a multimedia experience to enjoy movies, music and photos through an existing home network or USB memory device

- ISFccc Calibration Ready for professional customization of plasma picture according to personal preferences for contrast, tint, color as well as room conditions for both day and nighttime viewing. Includes:

- Independent Gamma Control (R / G / B) for heightened color ––calibration

- V-Chip Parental Control

- Remote Control – Illuminated / Preset Mode / Learning Mode

- New Advanced Redesigned GUI

- A/V Selection Memory – 10 options for viewing preferences: Optimum / Performance / Sports / Movie / PURE / Game / Standard*/ ISF-Day / ISF-Night / ISF-Auto (PC input: only Standard)

- Aspect Ratio Control – 9 positions: Auto* / Full / “Dot by Dot” / Zoom* / Cinema* / 4:3 / Wide* (only for SD) / Wide1* (only for HD) / Wide2* (only for HD) *Except PC signal

- Advanced Picture-in-Picture (4 positions), Picture-side-Picture for use with Home Media Gallery & Broadcast and Still Picture capability

- After-Image Reduction Function

- Orbiter (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Auto Size (Off/ Natural / Wide-Zoom)

- Side Mask Detection (Mode 1 – for black side masks / Mode 2 – for black & illustrated side masks)

- Side Mask Brightness Sync (Fixed / Auto)

- Video Pattern (White Bar)

- Game Control Preference (AV Selection: only Game) (Off / On)

- Fine Tune Setting for ultimate picture control of color temperature, noise reduction and color management

- Intelligent Mode (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Room Light Sensor & New External Color Sensor (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

See less See more
#26,163 ·
D-Nice just left my house. He completed a calibration on my Pro-111FD above expectations. D-Nice was skilled, knowledgeable and very professional during his visit. I let him do his kuro and ISF magic keeping my questions to a minimum, however, anything I asked he just responded in a polite and friendly manner while carrying out his measurements and calculations. I'm so glad that he came to Canada to perform his top notch calibrations. I hope he keeps coming back to Toronto and other Canadian cities. Us Canadians are very grateful to have such a fine calibrator as Mr. D-Nice to cross the border to help us realize the full potential of our flat panel displays. Now I can watch Blu-ray movies in all its ISF glory

Thank you D-Nice

#26,164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy /forum/post/20452045

D-Nice just left my house. He completed a calibration on my Pro-111FD above expectations.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) lists that are linked at the bottom of my post.

#26,165 ·
Thank you for the kind words. It was my pleasure to bring your 111FD to the reference levels it is now in.

Getting ready for Anchor Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy /forum/post/20452045

D-Nice just left my house. He completed a calibration on my Pro-111FD above expectations. D-Nice was skilled, knowledgeable and very professional during his visit. I let him do his kuro and ISF magic keeping my questions to a minimum, however, anything I asked he just responded in a polite and friendly manner while carrying out his measurements and calculations. I'm so glad that he came to Canada to perform his top notch calibrations. I hope he keeps coming back to Toronto and other Canadian cities. Us Canadians are very grateful to have such a fine calibrator as Mr. D-Nice to cross the border to help us realize the full potential of our flat panel displays. Now I can watch Blu-ray movies in all its ISF glory

Thank you D-Nice

#26,166 ·
Thank you for the kinds words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY613 /forum/post/20441244

D-nice left couple hours ago, and now i can proudly say my 151fd is perfect!

D-Nice was able to answer any question I had, it was a great experience, he sure knows what he's doing, i'd highly recommend him.

I will definitely get him to calibrate my future tv's.

#26,167 ·
Yes, you were right before NY613. Glad to hear you are enjoying the PQ on both of your displays. Happy pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo235 /forum/post/20441376

I second that...he must have been here right befoe he came to see you.

The man is a champ. Thorough, informative, a true professional and overall just a good lad.

It's like having a couple of brand new tvs to play with now

EDIT: I have a non-elite, but what I said stands!

#26,168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf1 /forum/post/20394956

Does setting a bluray player to deep color have any benefit. My pio 51 always connected up at 36bit, over a 35' hdmi cable (Blue Jeans BJC Belden Series-1 Bonded-Pair HDMI Cable) with no problems. I bought a new player (Panasonic), as I'm having issues with the Pio. When I enable Deep Color, I get sparkles on the screen (Pio 151). I'm thinking the drivers on the Panasonic are a little weak. I'm trying to decide if I should just keep the Panasonic and leave the deep color off, or spend the extra money and get an Oppo, although I don't really need the enhanced audio it offers.

I have that same BDP, and I noticed the Deep Color settings in the spec sheet.

If I remember correctly, the problem with Deep Color is that there aren't any titles mastered with it.

Some help correct me if I'm way off base here.

#26,169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberowo /forum/post/20446918

I'm being offered a 60" KRP-600M for the same price as the brand new Samsung PS64D8005.. I assume this will be my last shot ever at owning a Kuro.. Are they still worth the money? Or am I better off getting a new Sammy or Panasonic at this point..?

Also, can someone tell me how the AR layer on this Kuro compares to the new TVs?

Get it while the getting is good.

#26,170 ·
Here is another Canuck that is extremely happy of the work that D-Nice has done to my Pro-101. I didn't think that it could get better but BOY it sure did.

D-Nice also calibrated 2 of my friends tv and the are also extremely satisfied.

Thanks D-Nice , I am glad to have finally met you in person.

#26,171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip61 /forum/post/20462775

Here is another Canuck that is extremely happy of the work that D-Nice has done to my Pro-101.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) lists that are linked at the bottom of my post.

#26,173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platti J /forum/post/20471853

I have a Pioneer pdp5010fd that I was thinking of upgrading to 110FD.

Is it worth spending the extra cash for the 110FD?

That would depend on the amount of cash involved. Where are you finding a 110FD for sale?

#26,174 ·
Hello all. I just picked up a 111FD and I had a few questions.

I found out how to check for firmware update and all that.

What I wanted to know is, for playing DVDs, what setting should the TV be in and also the DVD player. I read somewhere that the TV does a fai job of upscaling and it might be better to have the Oppo send a 720p to the TV instead in case of DVDs.

For Blu ray, I guess I would have to set the Oppo to 1080P 24, correct,

Does the TV have to be in a certain mode as well?

#26,175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia /forum/post/20473075

Hello all. I just picked up a 111FD and I had a few questions.

I found out how to check for firmware update and all that.

What I wanted to know is, for playing DVDs, what setting should the TV be in and also the DVD player. I read somewhere that the TV does a fai job of upscaling and it might be better to have the Oppo send a 720p to the TV instead in case of DVDs.

For Blu ray, I guess I would have to set the Oppo to 1080P 24, correct,

Does the TV have to be in a certain mode as well?

DVDs are 480p and your 111FD is a 1080p display. There is no reason to have your Oppo upscale to 720p, only to have the 111FD upscale the image yet again to 1080p.

So you essentially have two choices when it comes to DVDs: a) have the Oppo upscale them to 1080p, or b) have the Oppo send a native 480p image for the 111FD to upscale to 1080p. I personally have found that my Oppo BDP-83 does a better job of upscaling, and have it set to deliver a 1080p 24fps signal to my 600M.

#26,177 ·
Also, debating on wether I should have the the set calibarated, I came across this from CNET:

This is what CNET says about their calibrations:

"Note that, unlike many of the third-party TV calibrations offered today, such as those available from contractors certified by groups like the ISF, the calibrations performed for CNET TV reviews no longer utilize settings in the hidden "service menus" of televisions. Nearly all HDTVs have these menus, and previously we would access them to better calibrate our review samples. In the last couple of years, however, we have begun posting our ideal dark-room picture settings as part of our reviews, and since users cannot typically assess those service menus (at least, not without voiding the warranty), we decided to no longer use them in our calibrations. We recommend that TV viewers avoid accessing the service menus themselves, because without proper training they can do more harm than good. Happily, many new HDTVs offer ample controls to achieve optimum picture quality without having to resort to service menus."

I submit that the Pionee Elite Kuro is one of those new HDTVs that "offer ample controls to achieve optimum picture quality without having to resort to service menus."

Anyway they made very little adjujstments to the picture and yet still rated it as the best they have reviewed. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...?tag=mncol;lst

Your link is very helpful for demonstrating the various settings, however I can achieve most of those results without accessing the service menu or giving someone $400 for a calibration.

#26,178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia /forum/post/20473172

ok, so leave the Oppo on 1080P/24 for DVD and bluray?

The Oppo will automatically render Blu-Ray at 1080p/24fps, while you will need to make menu selections for DVD to be output at 1080p/24fps. Your 111FD's Pure Cinema setting should be set to either Advance or Standard for 24fps to be displayed.

Quote:

And then on this setting, the Kuro will not do 3:2 pulldown resulting in a much smoother pic, correct?

Actually, many people find 3:2 pulldown to be smoother than 24fps, which will show judder particularly on panning scenes. The reason to select for 24fps is to be true to the original film format, not for smoothness.

#26,179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia /forum/post/20473206

Also, debating on wether I should have the the set calibarated, I came across this from CNET:

This is what CNET says about their calibrations:

"Note that, unlike many of the third-party TV calibrations offered today, such as those available from contractors certified by groups like the ISF, the calibrations performed for CNET TV reviews no longer utilize settings in the hidden "service menus" of televisions. Nearly all HDTVs have these menus, and previously we would access them to better calibrate our review samples. In the last couple of years, however, we have begun posting our ideal dark-room picture settings as part of our reviews, and since users cannot typically assess those service menus (at least, not without voiding the warranty), we decided to no longer use them in our calibrations. We recommend that TV viewers avoid accessing the service menus themselves, because without proper training they can do more harm than good. Happily, many new HDTVs offer ample controls to achieve optimum picture quality without having to resort to service menus."

I submit that the Pionee Elite Kuro is one of those new HDTVs that "offer ample controls to achieve optimum picture quality without having to resort to service menus."

Anyway they made very little adjujstments to the picture and yet still rated it as the best they have reviewed. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...?tag=mncol;lst

Your link is very helpful for demonstrating the various settings, however I can achieve most of those results without accessing the service menu or giving someone $400 for a calibration.

Two points. First, your 111FD has a color management system that is not in the service menu and can thus be readily calibrated.

Secondly, there is no way anyone is going to beat the results that a serious professional calibrator like D-Nice or umr can achieve with one of these displays. Whether to spend the money is a personal choice, but the accuracy of the results gained by a real pro using tens of thousands of dollars of equipment as opposed is readily documented through measurement and not especially arguable.

#26,180 ·

Quote:

ok, so leave the Oppo on 1080P/24 for DVD and bluray?

If you have an OPPO Blu-ray player you should be getting your setup information from the thread that matches your player. There are some outstanding experts in all the OPPO Blu-ray threads.

There is a draw back to using 24p with SD DVD sources because the vast majority of them do not contain the correct flags for conversion from 60p back to 24p.

Quote:
And then on this setting, the Kuro will not do 3:2 pulldown resulting in a much smoother pic, correct?

That's the hang up as I understand it. Without the correct flags, a DVD will not be smoother, and depending on the transfer, will probably have some new nasties introduced into the image.

A lot of knowledgeable people feel that DVD sources are best left at 60p unless you have one known to have correct flags.