AVS Forum banner
163K views 1K replies 186 participants last post by  Joe Gunawan 
#1 ·
Well, I've been haunting the "What gaming headphones to buy?" thread. The only problem, many of the people there have gone to strictly from Gaming setup to more 2 channel and then Audiophile setups. So here I am. This is what I currently own, and what I have planned.... What are your setups?

Own:

Source:

Dell Studio XPS 435MT

iPod 5.5G running RockBox for FLAC support

Dac:

NuForce uDac

Amp:

Little Dot I+ (Stock - for now)

Astro MixAmp

Fiio E5

Headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm (going under re-cable shortly)

Turtle Beach HPX (for Gaming, LOVE THEM)!

Grado SR-80i ( Modified )

Sennheiser HD428 (in the mail)

Sennheiser CX-250 (Maybe they'll go under the knife)

Headphones being acquired:

AKG K701 or K702 (of course, to be modded)

Future:

I will eventually migrate away from my computer as a listening station and get a stand along setup where I will get me a Crazy comfy chair, a very nice tube amp setup (and hopefully Electrostatics).

See less See more
#338 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSguy /forum/post/20380204

I have been looking for a nice amp for my 650's. Im planning to get some ortho's in the future..a solid state maybe? (i'm a ss lover)

Burson HA-160?

I've been looking at the Schiit Asgard too...

#339 ·
If you are going to get orthos like the HE6/HE500 or the LCD2 then you may want to look at the Schiit Lyr, or it may be a good idea and wait for Head-Direct and look at there new amp for the HE6 when it comes out.

#342 ·
new member here! have been into headphone audio for a couple of years, but now intimately into speakers

my existing headphone setup:

Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohms

Stax Lambda Pro

Sennheiser IE8 (IEMs)

amps:

Audio-GD C-2C

Stax SRM-1 MK-2

source:

various flac files feeding into Asus Xonar D2 (transport) out via Buffalo II DAC

previously owned:

Grado SR60

Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohms

Sennheiser HD650

Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohms

Sennheiser CX-95 (IEMs)

HeadDirect RE0 (IEMs)

Sennheiser PX100

Koss Portapro

Koss KSC75

#343 ·

Quote:

I have been looking for a nice amp for my 650's. Im planning to get some ortho's in the future..a solid state maybe? (i'm a ss lover)

I have heard the Schiit Asgard courtesy of a kind person
It was a pleasing pair with the HD650: more neutral, though less low-end compared to my Audio-GD C-2C. I preferred it to the latter for live recordings, seemed more enjoyable, and well, sounds more "live" for me.

It's a good recommendation

#344 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian /forum/post/20382762

Is the Audio Technica M50 any good?

They're very good. I won a pair in a Head-Fi giveaway and I listen to them a lot, even though my other headphones -- HD650, HE-5LE, and ATH-W1000X -- cost hundreds more. They're my favorite budget headphones. They sound great straight out of my MacBook.

#345 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/20334886

Titled "Senn 650 HD Audition" by glangford; Well my Senn's arrived and it took me a while, but I finally got a chance to sit down and give them a good listen. I gave them a few hours of loud rock n roll without even putting them on to begin to break them in, then I slipped them on and played an assortment of music. Even just playing through the Denon 3311ci headphone jack I was very impressed, although I have no baseline to compare to other than a pair of bose on ear phones I use with an ipod when i cut the grass. I'll be giving them some more dedicated break in time and look forward to more sessions with them myself.

I'm still undecided about the headphone amp. Nuforce icon HDP is still the leading candidate, with the Woo a close second. Although I'm researching other brands.

I just got the Nuforce icon HDP ($449) headphone unit/amp 7 hours ago.

Count me as impressed, and well worth the money.

It's 5 out of 5 stars with user reviews on amazon. I also give it 5 stars but did not buy it through amazon but rather through audioadvisor.com

It's small, comes with a plastic base which permits it to sit vertical, and has more than adequate amplification for my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. No remote but IMHO a small unit like this for PC headphone use doesn't need a remote. It also has great I/O for a unit at this price point.

#346 ·

Quote:

M1HPA also matches up with 650 well imo, with M1 DAC. In the future, if you want to drive HD 800, or HE6, I would recommend SPL Phonitor.

#347 ·
I run my headphones off of my Harman/Kardon 3490 stereo receiver

PC (24bit/192khz) to H/K via digital coaxial. And Rotel RDV-1092 for listening to cd's

My cans:

Grado SR325is (modded)(My fav cans)

Sony MDR-V6 (My first set of cans..can't seem to let them go)

Sony MDR-XB700 (Bass craving nights)

Sony MDR-EX85LP (buds)

Sennheiser RS-120 (wireless)

Sennheiser CX-200 (buds)

Turtle Beach HPA-2 (Headset/mic)

#348 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/20466634

It's 5 out of 5 stars with user reviews on amazon. I also give it 5 stars but did not buy it through amazon but rather through audioadvisor.com

It's small, comes with a plastic base which permits it to sit vertical, and has more than adequate amplification for my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. No remote but IMHO a small unit like this for PC headphone use doesn't need a remote. It also has great I/O for a unit at this price point.

love mine!

#349 ·

Quote:

The Nuforce is still the leading candidate (I guess). I have broadened my thinking somewhat however. My favorite medium for music listening is SACD. Given SACD is not put out via optical or coax, I struggle about the need for a DAC with my headphone amp. Although I do have a lot of just plain CDs so I can hook up both and select the input. I'll be using the Oppo BDP-83's dedicated stereo out analogs, which aren't shabby by any means, so I've broadened my thinking to include amps w/o DACs.

That brings up the WA3, again. (Can't seem to get tubes out of my mind). Then there's the Burson Audio HA-160, designed specifically for the 650s. I've also been toying going budget. I've read some intriguing things about firestone audio's cute beyond and I'm considering it with an OPA627 upgrade (grand total with OPA upgrade 224), then downstream upgrading the power supply. I considered Schiit for a while, but found something about each model I didn't care for. I've considered a few hybrid amps as well, the Music Hall ph25.2 and a vincent audio model. I've also toyed with the line of Little Dot tube amps and audio gd offerings. The one recommended with the 32 bit dac is no longer in production.

I should have pulled the trigger and just bought the nuforce when I had downselected to it or the WA3, but I suspect to someday have the BDP-95, so I'm not sure I need a DAC, although 6 moons audio loves it just for its amp function. With time, possibilities have opened up again. I'll be purchasing soon, so I need to decide. I guess nuforce is still no 1, followed by a tie for second between Burson Audio and Firestone Audio with OPA upgrade. Then comes the WA3. An assortment of other choices I won't rank below the WA3.

See my conundrum?

#350 ·

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/20471159

The Nuforce is still the leading candidate (I guess). I have broadened my thinking somewhat however. My favorite medium for music listening is SACD. Given SACD is not put out via optical or coax, I struggle about the need for a DAC with my headphone amp.

In addition to digital input that uses the internal DAC (coax/optical and USB), the unit also has 2 channel analog input. I wouldn't get in a twist because you don't use the internal DAC.

So for your Sennheiser HD650 headphones, you'd be using the rest of the unit which includes amp(headphone) and a decent *analog* volume control.

Quote:

Although I do have a lot of just plain CDs so I can hook up both and select the input. I'll be using the Oppo BDP-83's dedicated stereo out analogs, which aren't shabby by any means, so I've broadened my thinking to include amps w/o DACs.

That brings up the WA3, again. (Can't seem to get tubes out of my mind).

I like tubes. The main downside to a tube unit is that it usually takes up more space than a SS unit.

Quote:

Then there's the Burson Audio HA-160, designed specifically for the 650s. I've also been toying going budget. I've read some intriguing things about firestone audio's cute beyond and I'm considering it with an OPA627 upgrade (grand total with OPA upgrade 224), then downstream upgrading the power supply. I considered Schiit for a while, but found something about each model I didn't care for. I've considered a few hybrid amps as well, the Music Hall ph25.2 and a vincent audio model. I've also toyed with the line of Little Dot tube amps and audio gd offerings. The one recommended with the 32 bit dac is no longer in production.

I should have pulled the trigger and just bought the nuforce when I had downselected to it or the WA3, but I suspect to someday have the BDP-95, so I'm not sure I need a DAC, although 6 moons audio loves it just for its amp function. With time, possibilities have opened up again. I'll be purchasing soon, so I need to decide. I guess nuforce is still no 1, followed by a tie for second between Burson Audio and Firestone Audio with OPA upgrade. Then comes the WA3. An assortment of other choices I won't rank below the WA3.

See my conundrum?

The downsides to the NuForce Icon HDP headphone amp are 1) unit needs to be close at hand (it has no remote) so that you can reach the volume control and 2) running cables to/from it may get underfoot. It does have a very long power input cord combo (12'-to-15'), but depending on where your A/C wall socket is, that's still another cord that may get underfoot.

Also the unit does various cut offs, depending on what's plugged in.

So if you connect both 1) analog stereo input (via RCA) and 2) a digital input, would you be able to use the front panel U/D/A knob to switch from RCA input (A) to digital input (U or D) and have it work?

I think it would work but haven't tried it. I've only tried digital input from my desktop PC. One at a time (USB and coax and optical) and am currently using optical as my only input connection.

So I'd call NuForce (408 890-6840) and ask that question; as well as buy from a dealer like audioadvisor.com that has a no questions asked 30 day refund.

#351 ·
There is no question that the 83 is a good source player DAC, the upgrade SE (Sabre 9016 DAC) for the 83 is better and the 95 (Sabre 9018 DAC) is better still.

I have a little experiment coming next week, that is a used Pioneer sx650 2Ch amp. The only reason why I got this old Pioneer is to compare it to my very high end Woo WA5LE amp using my HE6 headphones.

Anyway if you would like I can try my HD-650's and compare how they sound to my WA5LE using this old Pioneer amp.

My first amp and headphones where the HD-650 and the LD IVSE, nice combo, my son now has it now and really likes it.

#352 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally
There is no question that the 83 is a good source player DAC, the upgrade SE (Sabre 9016 DAC) for the 83 is better and the 95 (Sabre 9018 DAC) is better still.

I have a little experiment coming next week, that is a used Pioneer sx650 2Ch amp. The only reason why I got this old Pioneer is to compare it to my very high end Woo WA5LE amp using my HE6 headphones.

Anyway if you would like I can try my HD-650's and compare how they sound to my WA5LE using this old Pioneer amp.

My first amp and headphones where the HD-650 and the LD IVSE, nice combo, my son now has it now and really likes it.
Please do I'd be interested in the comparison.

I do keep going back and thinking about the LD line as well.

#353 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs
Also the unit does various cut offs, depending on what's plugged in.
The paper manual that comes with the NuForce Icon HDP has some confusing wording and is not as complete as their web site writeup, see: www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconhdp/index.php

The "various cut offs" I mentioned above are that when headphones are plugged in then signal on the RCA outs are disabled, and when optical digital input cable is plugged in then the coax digital input cable is disabled.

Quote:
So if you connect both 1) analog stereo input (via RCA) and 2) a digital input, would you be able to use the front panel U/D/A knob to switch from RCA input (A) to digital input (U or D) and have it work?

I think it would work but haven't tried it.
Out of curiosity, I plugged in stereo RCA input cable and it worked fine with two inputs and using the front U/D/A selector knob; i.e. RCA analog input and optical digital input.

The HDP also seems to have two DAC circuits, one for USB, and one for optical and coax.

#354 ·
Quote:
The paper manual that comes with the NuForce Icon HDP has some confusing wording and is not as complete as their web site writeup, see: www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconhdp/index.php

The "various cut offs" I mentioned above are that when headphones are plugged in then signal on the RCA outs are disabled, and when optical digital input cable is plugged in then the coax digital input cable is disabled.

Out of curiosity, I plugged in stereo RCA input cable and it worked fine with two inputs and using the front U/D/A selector knob; i.e. RCA analog input and optical digital input.

The HDP also seems to have two DAC circuits, one for USB, and one for optical and coax.
Thanks, then it sounds like it will do what I need. I'd run rca cables from the 83 stereo outs to the HDP, and also an optical. When using SACD select rca analog, when listening to CD select optical.

Are the DACs upconverting? When I pass a 44.1 khz 16 bit signal via optical is it upconverting and putting out 192/24? What happens with HDCD when the HDP gets a 44.1/20 signal?

I'll download the manual and check as well.

#355 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/20475012

Thanks, then it sounds like it will do what I need. I'd run rca cables from the 83 stereo outs to the HDP,

i.e. for SACD playback from your OPPO 83 player you have to run RCA cables as the HDP does not have HDMI cable connectivity. It's worth mentioning that for the same retail money ($449) there are surely more than a few AVR's with HDMI cable connectivity and adequate headphone capability. The problem for me with that was/is that I need a truly small unit and for that the HDP fills the bill.

Quote:

and also an optical. When using SACD select rca analog, when listening to CD select optical.

I'm only using optical to my own HDP (from my PC), because I use both coax and optical digital cables from my PC at the same time.

Doing this is OK for output and provides two digital outs so that I don't have to switch Win7/64 RealTek from one output to another on the PC, as both the optical and coax are to RealTek the same output.

Anyhow, the optical out is adequate for headphone use (headphone to me is fatiguing after maybe 2 hours, so I want the better out cable to my speaker system), but the coax out is slightly better (jitter is the only explanation that I've seen that might make sense) and from my PC goes into my much more expensive speaker system via a 3 year old external/expensive Bel Canto DAC3 unit.

So odds are that when you have a CD disc in the OPPO 83, you'd be better off to use a coax digital cable (and not optical) to connect the CD sound to the NuForce Icon HDP unit.

At least that's my long experience when comparing digital cables; i.e. coax vs optical (a.k.a. toslink) vs USB, and also analog cables (RCA, and limited experience with XLR analog cables)).

It's unfortunate but my above cable comments have a serious chance of setting off the AVS "science" police on this thread; I will respond thoughtfully but there's a serious chance that it will quickly kill this thread.

Anyway, under $100 per stereo cable these bluejean cables are the best I've come across and can be used for either digital or analog; see: http://www.bluejeancable.com/store/d...udio/index.htm

What they charge for these "digital" cables (which also happen to be excellent for analog) covers the cost of the *excellent* Canare RCAP RCA connectors (~$16 per set of 4 connectors that you need for L/R stereo interconnects) if that was all that you bought from a decent place like markertek.com and you get the wire for almost free (depending on length of cables you buy).

Quote:

Are the DACs upconverting?

I understand "upconverting" but have no clue if the HDP DACs upconvert. Their documentation gives no clue, so far as I can tell.

For a unit (NuForce Icon HDP) at this price point, why would you care?

The NuForce Icon HDP unit sounds great going through either of it's two DAC circuitry systems (USB or optical/coax).

Quote:

When I pass a 44.1 khz 16 bit signal via optical is it upconverting and putting out 192/24? What happens with HDCD when the HDP gets a 44.1/20 signal?

Trying for bit rates higher than 44.1/16 seems to be on the minds of many these days.

My experience this past 24 months is that SACD and CD are still where the best true SQ disc value is at (not to mention selection), and where your time and money are best spent.

Quote:

I'll download the manual and check as well.

The online manual .pdf file is the same as the paper manual enclosed with the unit I just got. The online .htm ref that I provided for the HDP is the slightly more informative ref.

#356 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/20477126

i.e. for SACD playback from your OPPO 83 player you have to run RCA cables as the HDP does not have HDMI cable connectivity. It's worth mentioning that for the same retail money ($449) there are surely more than a few AVR's with HDMI cable connectivity and adequate headphone capability. The problem for me with that was/is that I need a truly small unit and for that the HDP fills the bill.

I'm only using optical to my own HDP (from my PC), because I use both coax and optical digital cables from my PC at the same time.

Doing this is OK for output and provides two digital outs so that I don't have to switch Win7/64 RealTek from one output to another on the PC, as both the optical and coax are to RealTek the same output.

Anyhow, the optical out is adequate for headphone use (headphone to me is fatiguing after maybe 2 hours, so I want the better out cable to my speaker system), but the coax out is slightly better (jitter is the only explanation that I've seen that might make sense) and from my PC goes into my much more expensive speaker system via a 3 year old external/expensive Bel Canto DAC3 unit.

So odds are that when you have a CD disc in the OPPO 83, you'd be better off to use a coax digital cable (and not optical) to connect the CD sound to the NuForce Icon HDP unit.

At least that's my long experience when comparing digital cables; i.e. coax vs optical (a.k.a. toslink) vs USB, and also analog cables (RCA, and limited experience with XLR analog cables)).

It's unfortunate but my above cable comments have a serious chance of setting off the AVS "science" police on this thread; I will respond thoughtfully but there's a serious chance that it will quickly kill this thread.

Anyway, under $100 per stereo cable these bluejean cables are the best I've come across and can be used for either digital or analog; see: http://www.bluejeancable.com/store/d...udio/index.htm

What they charge for these "digital" cables (which also happen to be excellent for analog) covers the cost of the *excellent* Canare RCAP RCA connectors (~$16 per set of 4 connectors that you need for L/R stereo interconnects) if that was all that you bought from a decent place like markertek.com and you get the wire for almost free (depending on length of cables you buy).

I understand "upconverting" but have no clue if the HDP DACs upconvert. Their documentation gives no clue, so far as I can tell.

For a unit (NuForce Icon HDP) at this price point, why would you care?

The NuForce Icon HDP unit sounds great going through either of it's two DAC circuitry systems (USB or optical/coax).

Trying for bit rates higher than 44.1/16 seems to be on the minds of many these days.

My experience this past 24 months is that SACD and CD are still where the best true SQ disc value is at (not to mention selection), and where your time and money are best spent.

The online manual .pdf file is the same as the paper manual enclosed with the unit I just got. The online .htm ref that I provided for the HDP is the slightly more informative ref.

I understood that I need to use rca cables with sacd. Either coax of spdif is fine.

One note in the printed manual it quotes the dac for spdif to be 96 khz/24 bit and not 192/24 as the on line specs say. I sent off an email question, no answer. I also asked about upconversion.

#357 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/20477588

I understood that I need to use rca cables with sacd. Either coax of spdif is fine.

One note in the printed manual it quotes the dac for spdif to be 96 khz/24 bit and not 192/24 as the on line specs say. I sent off an email question, no answer. I also asked about upconversion.

FWIW differences between decent cables is at most subtle. My experience is that really noticeable differences only happen if a cable is truly inadequate or a cable is defective.

With regard to NuForce I suspect that they'll get back to you. Let us know what their response is, thanks.

For myself, my focus with my home PC is to not spend time/money on hi-rez audio files on the hard drive.

I rip CD discs via EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and store them in .flac format at the redbook standard of 44.1/16. I also make sure that I don't let the PC software change the rate (during playback) to a higher level (than 44.1/16) as doing conversions like that is more likely to screw the sound up.

#358 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/20477588

Threads drift off topic but IMO the above is directly related to a headphone "amp", which is on topic to this thread.

One ref worth reading is this on "Digital volume controls": http://extra.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki...olume_controls

I've also seen one excellent explanation of what Benchmark does with "up-conversion" on their 4 DAC1 models, but I could not find the ref (Benchmark site doesn't make it easy to find stuff like this). Maybe someone else will post the ref.

#359 ·
Well I ordered the headphone amp. I ordered the Firestone audio cute beyond and the OPA627 superchip op amp upgrade. In the end I decided I'd forgo a dac for now and use the savings toward what will probably be my next purchase, the Oppo BDP-95. Read many nice things about the cute beyond particularly with the OPA627 upgrade. It also satisfies my insatiable desire to tweek, with op amp rolling.

I'll report back my findings when recieved and the answers to my questions from Nuforce, should they ever answer. Thanks to those who've helped.

#360 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/20481032

Well I ordered the headphone amp. I ordered the Firestone audio cute beyond and the OPA627 superchip op amp upgrade. In the end I decided I'd forgo a dac for now and use the savings toward what will probably be my next purchase, the Oppo BDP-95. Read many nice things about the cute beyond particularly with the OPA627 upgrade. It also satisfies my insatiable desire to tweek, with op amp rolling.

I'll report back my findings when recieved and the answers to my questions from Nuforce, should they ever answer. Thanks to those who've helped.

Nice choice for under $200 for the "Firestone audio cute beyond" headphone amp. SS and small with what appears to be an analog volume control for the rear RCA analog inputs. So you'll xfer both SACD and CD 2 channel sound from your OPPO player via RCA analog, right?

What did the "OPA627 superchip op amp upgrade" set you back, and what exactly does it do? If you've got a ref that'd likely be best. Thanks.

#361 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/20481239

Nice choice for under $200 for the "Firestone audio cute beyond" headphone amp. SS and small with what appears to be an analog volume control for the rear RCA analog inputs. So you'll xfer both SACD and CD 2 channel sound from your OPPO player via RCA analog, right?

What did the "OPA627 superchip op amp upgrade" set you back, and what exactly does it do? If you've got a ref that'd likely be best. Thanks.

Yes, a downmix (for multichannel SACD) via analog from the Oppo's stereo R/L outputs.

The op amp upgrade was 37 bucks. It takes two chips to replace the one as it is a monochip. The superchip combines two chips on an adapter pcb to replace the one factory installed two channel chip. the BB 627 maybe a little dark and I may also try an AD797 superchip, which may be a little brighter. The 627 is highly regarded musical chip with the 797 a very close second.

#362 ·
Well, I've had it now for about 2 weeks. I really like it alot. I don't have much of a baseline to compare it to, other than before it arrived I've been using my Denon 3311ci headphone jack. It is definetly a huge step above a headphone jack. The OPA627 op amp upgrade was a very nice addition. I'd agree with most things I've read that it is a very good musical op amp. The sound is clear and also has a hint of warmth to it. I may also order and try the AD797 op amp as reports are it tends to be slightly brighter which might be a good match for the Senn 650 HDs, although I have no complaints with the set up I have now. The Cute Beyond gets its feed from the dedicated stereo outs of my BDP-83. All in all I'm quite pleased.

I noticed on head-fi that one guy had managed to fit in a Burson Audio totally discrete op amp into the small Cute Beyond. It was tight, but it fit. Interesting idea I may give a whirl some day. I also noticed that the dedicated stereo outs of the BDP-83 can be replaced with discrete op amps. Hmmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.