AVS Forum banner

The Plains Theater

251K views 3K replies 122 participants last post by  J_P_A 
#1 · (Edited)
After reading as much as I could on this forum over the past several years, I’m finally ready to post my own build thread (my 500th post seemed as good a time as any). On one hand this seems like a huge step forward because I’ve waited so long to start, but on the other it’s still going to be a long time before I even get to put up the first 2x4. So, fair warning, this is going to be very slow, particularly to begin with as we have to build the house before I can actually start on the theater. Fortunately, to some degree we’re designing the house around a space for the HT, and this is what we’ve got in mind:

1) I intend to use the pro layout service, but I want to get the orientation of the room with respect to the rest of basement hammered out before I have the room designed by the pros. I will need the scale drawings from the architect to make sure I give Dennis and company the correct dimensions of the space.
EDIT: I ended up using two Pro Design Services. I first contracted Dennis to do a layout and acoustic plan. Dennis heavily favors the Quest treatments, but they weren't in my budget, and I didn't feel the DIY treatment plan he provided was detailed enough (essentially just replace all the panels with fiberglass panels). From the room layout standpoint, Dennis' layout was a good sanity check for everything I "think I know". Interestingly, my proposed layout, what I worked out based on what I read here, was within an inch or so of the layout Dennis provided. The big differences were screen size (Dennis didn't like my 160" screen :) ).

Once the room was drywalled and I was getting ready to finalize speaker locations, I decided I wanted a DIY'able acoustic plan that would take better advantage of the extra space I had available for treatments. I contacted Nyal at Acoustic Frontiers. You can see the resulting plans in post two below. Working with Nyal was a great experience, and I highly recommend contacting him as soon as you decide you're ready to commit to a space! There were lots of small tweaks to my layout that he recommended and I feel like the acoustic plan is a good compromise between engineered products and DIY. The money I saved using Nyal's treatment plan as opposed to Quest products more than paid for Nyal's analysis of my room

2) The theater will be in the basement with no exterior windows.
3) We want to have at least an 18’ x 24’ x 9’ space, but I would like to go as much as 19’ x full width of the basement if I can (around 32’ not counting odd nooks).
EDIT: The room ended up being 18'-10" x 30'-3" x 9'. There is an odd section at the back that adds another 2' for a total length of 32'-9" for half of the room, and a beam that will lower the ceiling by 2".
4) Right now I’m planning to use DD+GG, but I haven’t decided on which method to use for decoupling the walls yet (Room-within-a-room if possible, clips and channel if not).
EDIT: After talking with Ted, I've decided on clips and channel for ceiling and walls with a joist mufflers to isolate the HVAC supply and crossover duct to the adjacent room.
5) We are planning to have two rows of seating with a bar at the back for overflow seating. We intend to use this primarily for movies and gaming, but we also enjoy football and would like to host football parties during the season.
6) I would like a 2.35:1 AT screen, and after reading Tony123’s thread, I’m thinking 14’ wide sounds pretty good.
EDIT: I went with a 160" wide by 67.5" high screen (2.37:1). This should optimize 2.35 as well as 16:9 content for my room. I'll have bars for both, but they don't really bother me, and I can always add a DIY masking system later

EDIT: I don't like trying to pick the equipment before my room is done because the current tech changes so quickly. However, I've learned that I need to at least have an idea of what I'm going to use in order to locate things in the room. With that in mind here's a couple things I'm considering: 
7) I'm considering either a Panny AE7000 or Epson 6010 for a PJ. a 12' or 14' screen is really going to be pushing either of these, but PJ technology improves every year. I'd rather build my room for a larger screen and update my PJ than have to redesign my room once the PJ will support a larger screen. I like the Panny as it would allow a memory zoom for 2.35 content, but I believe the EPSON is a little brighter.
EDIT: I went with a Sony VPL-HW40ES and a Panamorph UH480 A-lens. I got an amazing deal on both, and I'm very happy with the results. Even with the huge screen the image is plenty bright for my tastes, and I have zero regrets about going with such a large screen. This is an area where all the pros will tell you not to do it, but if you have to go with what you like!
8) Speakers are going to be a bit of a challenge as they will need to be high efficiency. I'm thinking something DIY like 4 Pi's or possibly the new SEOS project might be a good way to go.
EDIT: I went with three DIY Soundgroup Fusion 15s up front and Volt 8s for surrounds (two rows of side surrounds plus back surrounds). I'm also installing RSL C34E overhead speakers for atmos.
9) With a room this size, 7.x is a no-brainer. It may require multiple side surrounds due to the multiple rows. I'm not sold on the 9.x or 11.x just yet, but it shouldn't be too hard to retrofit in a room with soffits and columns.
10) For subs, I'm thinking 3 or 4 to help with room modes. I'd love to get some of the Danley DTS-10's, but I'm not willing to pay for the assembled units. If they do another kit, I may pick up a few. Otherwise, something like 4 F-20's might be a good option.
EDIT: I went with two lilWreckers up front. LOTs of output! More subs for room modes would be helpful, and I'm still lacking some mid bass punch.
Here's a top down view of the basement and theater. Again, the theater is 18'-10" x 30-3" x 9'

Index: I thought I would start an index of posts that I've found helpful while researching my theater. For now, it's just HVAC related, but I hope to update it as I run across useful stuff. Also, a good deal of this is lifted directly from the Dark Knight Theater, so you should really check out that thread if you're interested in a more comprehensive list of information.

HVAC
1) Your HVAC contractor is concerned with volume. They will calculate room requirements as Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM). They will size the ducts according.

From a noise perspective, we are concerned with Feet Per Minute (FPM) or velocity. To keep your diffusors (registers) from creating a lot of air flow noise, you do not want more than 250 FPM through a slotted or bar type diffusor. Therefore, let the HVAC contractor size the system but you insist upon the velocity...which will mean larger ducts and larger diffusors.

From a capacity perspective, the HVAC contractor needs to look at the demand of the room to be on the same order as a kitchen (that's if you cannot calculate latent and sensible BTU requirements). For example, six people sitting in the room will require 3000 BTU's/hr. (exclusive of equipment, etc). - Dennis Erskine

And another similar recommending that you size your HVAC based on a kitchen - by Dennis Erskine

2) Returns are high mounted (ceiling) and to the rear of the room. Noise transmission in the returns should never exceed the noise from the supplies and the system must be designed this way. Supplies are in the front of the room, high mounted (ceiling) and not near the screen. Diffusors should be Lenticular, slotted or bar type (www.nailor.com) and located in such a manner as to avoid drafts directly into seating locations. We typically will use the soffit as a duct chase to avoid direct penetration of the drywall barrier.

CFM counts when determing the cooling requirements of the air handler; however, for noise criteria, FPM is critical and should not exceed 250 FPM. The noise created by various diffusors may require a lessor velocity. - Dennis Erskine

Here's another post pertaining to the maximum desired velocity of 250 feet per minute.
3) Equally useful, is to increase the size of the duct by one size, have your HVAC contractor balance the system so that the VELOCITY of the air at the registers is 250 feet per minute or less. (Don't let them get confused between VELOCITY (fpm) and volume (CFM)). In other words, you want them to deliver the required CFM but at an FPM of 250 or less. - Dennis Erskine
4) Nah...don't think so. You'll want two supplies (typically in the front of the room, high mounted) and two returns (high mounted) in the back of the room. You do not want air flow directly on any seating location. You do not want a velocity of more than 250 FPM through any vent (diffusor). You want the HVAC system to maintain a temperature of 70 degrees F with an outdoor temperature range of -30 to 100 degrees F and to maintain a relative humidity of not less than 25% nor greater than 50%. You want six air exhanges per hour and 15 CFM of fresh air per person. - Dennis Erskine

HVAC SIZING
1) This theater has a single 8" flex supply line and no returns. From the table below, this should provide approximately 160 cfm of cooled air. It will be slightly less as the total length is greater than 25'

2) 1 Ton of cooling is equivalent to 12,000 BTU/Hr
3) 1 Ton of cooling can supply approximately 400 cfm of cooled air. This is a general rule of thumb used for sizing HVAC and will vary.
4) Each person generates roughly 500 BTU/hr at rest
5) Not considering the bar area, the theater will seat 8 people. This will require 4000 BTU/hr of cooling (8people * 500BTU/hr/person). I am assuming that when the theater is full including the bar at the rear (10 or 11 people), we will likely be watching a sporting event like the super bowl and will have the door open anyway.
6) The required cfm of cooled air is approximately

400 cfm/(12000 BTU/hr) * 4000 BTU/hr = 134 cfm

7) This is less than the 160 cfm supplied by the 8" duct.
8) The rule of thumb is at least 6 air exchanges per hour. The room is roughly 19x31x9 = 5301 c.f. (closer to 5,000 c.f. once the riser and stage volumes are accounted for). So 5301 c.f * 6 exch/hr * 1 hr/60 min = 530 cfm
9) The 8" supply will provide approximately 160 cfm, this leaves 370 cfm that must be provided by dead vents.
10) Here is a link to the Panasonic FV-40NLF1 fan that moves ~ 400 cfm.

Acoustic Treatments
1) I've read on the boards that the RT60 needs to be between 0.35 and 0.4.

Seating Information

1) Below is the often referenced seating distance chart.

Speaker Locations
  1. Below is one of the many speaker layout guides. This is the Audyssey layout for 7.x/9.x/11.x. The Dolby recommendations for PLIIz are pretty similar for heights, so this seems reasonable for layout purposes.
  2. Audyssey recommends +- 10 degrees for their azimuth positioning shown in the above guide. My front columns look like they will be at about 67 degrees from the center seating position. so this will be perfect for the front row, but I'm ~40 degrees from the back row. I suppose you can't make them all a money seat.
  3. Audyssey also recommends putting the front heights slightly wider than the L/R and as high on the wall as possible. Obviously, 45 degrees will not be possible in my room.
  4. Wides are recommended before heights when considering a 9.x setup.
  5. Wides should be set at ear height.

Other Threads About The Plains Theater
  1. Return Duct In Riser- I've decided against this due to the length of the duct run. I'm planning for a short just muffler/dead vent for the return.
  2. Clips + Channel at Outside Corner
  3. Beam 2" Below Ceiling - Need Suggestions
  4. Door Location and Size Advice Thread
  5. Soffit Heigh Advice Needed
  6. Where Do I Locate My Conduit and Power Feed for My PJ?
  7. Questions About Drywall And Green Glue on Back of Subfloor - Also includes link to 1-1/8" screws that are needed.
  8. Custom Door Jamb Question - Use 3/4" Ply or a ripped 2x8 for trimmer when a wide jamb is used.
  9. Fire blocking decoupled walls - There is also some good information on fireblocking here as well.
  10. Attaching trim to decoupled walls - Short thread, essentially just use liquid nails and finish nails or brads into the DD
  11. Light Spacing - Thread discussing light spacing the theater. Some good info here for determining the layout.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Reserved for pics of current progress:

Nyal completed my acoustic treatment plan. To keep costs down, Nyal did not do construction plans at my request. He did conceptual designs, and left the construction details up to me. This was a huge help to me. He did review my previous layout (at an additional cost) and offered a detailed review with recommendations on how to improve things. It's nice that Nyal is flexible with the level of detail he can provide with his service.

Nyal typically provides more detailed baffle wall drawings but was willing to give me just the details of what needs to go where in order to keep costs down. Again, I know how to build this sort of stuff, I just needed someone with the acoustic knowledge to tell me where it should go. Nyal's flexibility with this really helped me stretch my dollar!

I will try to keep a picture of the current state of the theater on this post.

Below are photos of the screen wall and front side wall. I plan to build grill covers for my side surrounds and also add some decorative corbels to my columns. I'm not happy with the fit of my fabric panels, but I'm also not highly motivated to tear them apart and rebuild them. If I ever decide to do any major renovations to the room, I'll go with fabric track the next time around.

The only acoustic treatment I have left is the front ceiling speakers and the resonator. The resonator is going to be difficult, to get installed and will require some rework of my back wall, so it's on hold for now.

I've also upgraded to ATMOS, which I have to say is impressive. My first impressions are adding those four ceiling speakers made a bigger difference in the quality of sound in my room than the treatments did! Here is the current situation with the ATMOS speakers. I still need to fill nail holes, add another coat of paint, paint the grilles, and add rope lighting to them.

Also, here's the obligatory Sketchup model. Obviously I changed to a blue/gray color scheme instead of red, and my column design has changed in order to same some space. I may come back and add some decorative trim to my wainscoting on the lower portion of the wall. I've had to forego the coffered ceiling due to lack of ceiling height on the riser

The Plains Theater - Rule Number One
Don't Buy Equipment Until You're Done!

At the outset of this, I realized my budget was going to be extremely tight. Primarily because I'm currently a graduate student at the moment, and the funds that I'm using for the theater were set aside back when I had a real job. My plan is to finish the room first, and then buy equipment with what's left. Even that's going to be tight, but I think I'd rather build the room right, and gradually add the equipment as I get the funds than have a room that's not built as well as I'd like.

What I'd do differently

I thought I would start a section on what I'd do differently if I knew then, what I know now.

1) I would consider options for a theater space other than in the basement. Yep, that's right! Our house ended up with a large, unfinished attic space above 1/2 of our house. This is where all the mechanicals went, but I've looked around in there, and it really would have a been a nice place for a theater. I realize it creates it's own set of issues, but I would have at least considered this option more thoroughly had I known. As it stands, we built a basement, just so we would have space for a theater.
2) Ten foot walls in the basement. I went with 9' walls because I thought that would be more than enough. However, I will have a 15-1/2" riser, which cuts down on the ceiling height quickly. A 10' or better ceiling height would be really nice!
3) I might consider different options for the theater entrance more carefully. At the time, I liked the idea of entering the theater at riser height, but it forced the riser to be at 15-1/2" when I might have liked it a little lower in order to keep a little more ceiling height.

Index
  1. Exhaust fan arrives. Followed by several posts discussing HVAC
  2. GG tips and application to subfloor DW.
  3. Joist muffler begins.
  4. Started installing clips on the ceiling
  5. Adding fire blocking around the top plate and starting clips on the wall
  6. Channel layout around supply duct penetration
  7. First sheet of drywall goes up.
  8. Plywood for PJ and backer boxes for receptacle and LV conduit. Also includes dead vents for HVAC supply and return.
  9. Relay and schematic used to operate my fan in my deadvent
  10. Drywall and fan install
  11. Door threshold Rev. 1
  12. Door threshold Rev. 2
  13. Soffit Framing begins. Also, Pic of the new A-lens
  14. Sketchup model of soffit. Also BIG's photo of the Utilitech can light I plan to use.
  15. Electrical layout
  16. Deadvent return revised to use a 90 degree register boot.
  17. Stage and riser begin. Slight revision and decking on the stage.
  18. Saga of the noisy fan begins. Includes measurements of the Panasonic Whisperline fan that was replaced by a Fantech.
  19. First hushbox model. A few revisions in subsequent posts.
  20. Here's a Sketchup program that will generate an optimzed cultist. A bit off-topic, but I'll likely be building a LOT of speaker boxes, so this should come in handy

Attachments

#2,625 ·
Reserved for pics of current progress:

Nyal completed my acoustic treatment plan. To keep costs down, Nyal did not do construction plans at my request. He did conceptual designs, and left the construction details up to me. This was a huge help to me. He did review my previous layout (at an additional cost) and offered a detailed review with recommendations on how to improve things. It's nice that Nyal is flexible with the level of detail he can provide with his service.

Nyal typically provides more detailed baffle wall drawings but was willing to give me just the details of what needs to go where in order to keep costs down. Again, I know how to build this sort of stuff, I just needed someone with the acoustic knowledge to tell me where it should go. Nyal's flexibility with this really helped me stretch my dollar!

I will try to keep a picture of the current state of the theater on this post.

I've started adding the wainscoting. This thing is starting to look like a home theater!

Also, here's the obligatory Sketchup model. I'm still undecided on the color scheme, but for now I like the idea of a simple faux wainscoting on the lower portion of the wall. I've had to forego the coffered ceiling due to lack of ceiling height on the riser

The Plains Theater - Rule Number One
Don't Buy Equipment Until You're Done!

At the outset of this, I realized my budget was going to be extremely tight. Primarily because I'm currently a graduate student at the moment, and the funds that I'm using for the theater were set aside back when I had a real job. My plan is to finish the room first, and then buy equipment with what's left. Even that's going to be tight, but I think I'd rather build the room right, and gradually add the equipment as I get the funds than have a room that's not built as well as I'd like.

What I'd do differently

I thought I would start a section on what I'd do differently if I knew then, what I know now.

1) I would consider options for a theater space other than in the basement. Yep, that's right! Our house ended up with a large, unfinished attic space above 1/2 of our house. This is where all the mechanicals went, but I've looked around in there, and it really would have a been a nice place for a theater. I realize it creates it's own set of issues, but I would have at least considered this option more thoroughly had I known. As it stands, we built a basement, just so we would have space for a theater.
2) Ten foot walls in the basement. I went with 9' walls because I thought that would be more than enough. However, I will have a 15-1/2" riser, which cuts down on the ceiling height quickly. A 10' or better ceiling height would be really nice!
3) I might consider different options for the theater entrance more carefully. At the time, I liked the idea of entering the theater at riser height, but it forced the riser to be at 15-1/2" when I might have liked it a little lower in order to keep a little more ceiling height.

Index
  1. Exhaust fan arrives. Followed by several posts discussing HVAC
  2. GG tips and application to subfloor DW.
  3. Joist muffler begins.
  4. Started installing clips on the ceiling
  5. Adding fire blocking around the top plate and starting clips on the wall
  6. Channel layout around supply duct penetration
  7. First sheet of drywall goes up.
  8. Plywood for PJ and backer boxes for receptacle and LV conduit. Also includes dead vents for HVAC supply and return.
  9. Relay and schematic used to operate my fan in my deadvent
  10. Drywall and fan install
  11. Door threshold Rev. 1
  12. Door threshold Rev. 2
  13. Soffit Framing begins. Also, Pic of the new A-lens
  14. Sketchup model of soffit. Also BIG's photo of the Utilitech can light I plan to use.
  15. Electrical layout
  16. Deadvent return revised to use a 90 degree register boot.
  17. Stage and riser begin. Slight revision and decking on the stage.
  18. Saga of the noisy fan begins. Includes measurements of the Panasonic Whisperline fan that was replaced by a Fantech.
  19. First hushbox model. A few revisions in subsequent posts.
  20. Here's a Sketchup program that will generate an optimzed cultist. A bit off-topic, but I'll likely be building a LOT of speaker boxes, so this should come in handy

Hey you may have answered this before but do you mind me asking what you ending up spending on your build? Trying to create a realistic budget for mine. Thanks!

#3 ·
JPA,

That's a great looking space to work with. I'm jealous, as we came in at around 16 x 19.5 feet after drywall. Can you dig out to 10' at least for the theater room? I'm very glad we did in my home, and now wish we just did the whole basement this way. For example, we walk in on a 12" riser, the ceiling was dropped around 8" as the floating joists had to run perpendicular to the overlying floor joists, and I have a 12" tall soffit around the room that hides all of my wiring, dedicated deadvent ductwork, and some bass trapping. Just like that I lost 2'8" height, so the soffit is only 7'4" above the floor as you walk in.

Since you're doing new construction, I'd go whole hog for soundproofing. The free walls against foundation will be normal framing, and the 2 shared walls with storage and the stairwell can be easily double-studded.

About that storage.... How do you plan to use that if there is a false wall with an AT screen? You'd have to either take the screen down or build an AT door panel to get there. You'd also need to use a sealed solidcore door there.

For the 2 entry doors, obviously you don't want french doors, and the inner door at least needs to be solid-core and sealed.

How do you plan to ventilate the room? I tried to walk my HVAC guys through the requirements that Dennis Erskine once posted:

"You'll want two supplies (typically in the front of the room, high mounted) and two returns (high mounted) in the back of the room. You do not want air flow directly on any seating location. You do not want a velocity of more than 250 FPM through any vent (diffusor). You want the HVAC system to maintain a temperature of 70 degrees F with an outdoor temperature range of -30 to 100 degrees F and to maintain a relative humidity of not less than 25% nor greater than 50%. You want six air exhanges per hour and 15 CFM of fresh air per person."

They said they could not satisfactorily meet these requirements, but could just tie in the duct "with some bends". No grasp of soundproofing and flanking despite several discussions. My solution was a dead vent for some air exchange, and a minisplit for additional cooling. This they could not screw up. Another HVAC issue, absolutely do not permit them to lazily drop any duct runs below the floor joists running over your room. You'll lose even more room height, and properly planned these should run in the joist cavities when needed.

Not that you're there yet, and the design guys will surely help you out, but make sure to include lots of lighting that is zone controllable. I have 8 cans, 6 sconces, and perimeter LED uplighting of the ceiling, as well as step lights. With the fabric walls and colors I chose, it is inviting but nowhere near a diffused daylight brightness. I think that if you underlight your room, it will see less use, particularly for social viewing of sports.

Good luck with your build!

#4 ·
Looks like a nice setup for IB. Any plans to go this route?

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99
......... Can you dig out to 10' at least for the theater room? I'm very glad we did in my home, and now wish we just did the whole basement this way......
I'm not sure, yet. It's one of the items on the "I'd like to have" list, but I don't know if it will make it into the budget. I think there are some other things that might take precedence like getting spray in foam insulation in the attic. We're going with 9' ceilings throughout the rest of the house as well. The good thing, is the builder has a pretty nice theater in his house, and he's already made it clear that he wants the basement floorplan finalized to make sure we route mechanicals out of the way.

Quote:
......Since you're doing new construction, I'd go whole hog for soundproofing......
I'm definitely planning to do as much as I can, since this is one area I can't go back and fix later!

Quote:
......About that storage.... How do you plan to use that if there is a false wall with an AT screen?........
This is one of the areas I'm hoping for some advice on. the only thing I can think of would be to build my screen so that it is easily removed, and place the door carefully so that I don't have to move speakers to get to the space.

Quote:
.....For the 2 entry doors, obviously you don't want french doors, and the inner door at least needs to be solid-core and sealed........
I'm actually a little conflicted on this. Since we intend to use this for social events like football parties, I'd like to be able to open the room up so that it's not so claustrophobic. My thought was that the communicating doorway would help with sound isolation despite the double doors. Any thoughts on how to achieve both goals?

Quote:
.......How do you plan to ventilate the room? ........
This is one of the reasons I want to get the plans done before we start building. I hope the pro layout service will also give some guidance here that I can pass on to the HVAC contractor. We'll see what happens, but I'm not ruling out a dead vent.

Quote:
....... Another HVAC issue, absolutely do not permit them to lazily drop any duct runs below the floor joists running over your room. You'll lose even more room height, and properly planned these should run in the joist cavities when needed.........
Here again I think our builder has a good grasp on what we're wanting and is making sure we have finished plans for the basement before we start building since we're not planning to finish the basement at the same time we build the house.

Quote:
.............Not that you're there yet, and the design guys will surely help you out, but make sure to include lots of lighting that is zone controllable........
Thanks for the tip. That's a good point, and I think it also gets back to the same issue with the doors in trying to make this a dual purpose space.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice
Looks like a nice setup for IB. Any plans to go this route?
I've thought about it, but I'm concerned about tuning the thing. Having never heard one in person, I'm not sure what to expect, and I don't just want loud. I would like for the bass in the room to be loud and refined. For the subs I've also considered something like the Danley DTS-10 as well.

#7 · (Edited)
As promised. here's my first progress update (of sorts). Here's a picture of the lot with a superb representation of where the house is going to go
. It's a big lot, and we have lots of options on where to put the house, but this particular spot gives us a walkout basement into the tree line, but also lets the front and back of the house be at grade as well. The lot slopes off at the tree line which you can't see well in the pictures.

The next bit of progress will be to have someone get a bush hog out there and cut down all the waste high weed and saplings!

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
I flipped the theater around and moved the entrance. This gives better access to the storage area on the left, but I liked the entrance better in the first option. I'm also a little concerned about where we are going to route the mechanicals.

What do you guys think? I'm open to opinions/options/alternatives!

Attachments

#9 ·
No more takers, huh? How about a different approach. Does anyone have any suggestions about the layout of the entire basement? We want a bedroom, a bathroom, and the theater. The wall at the bottom is the only one with windows and a door, and the stairs would be difficult to move.

Any suggestions?

#10 ·
I like the theater layout of the first option best - mostly because I think the sources and other electronics should be placed nearer the projector (behind the viewer), and I think that'll work out better in that orientation. I do think the place you put the door for access to storage in the second drawing is the better choice, and I don't see why you can't use that door location behind an AT screen. Also, I figure the best way to set up an AT screen is with a concealed walk-around - no door needed to get behind the screen, just walk between the front of the screen and the back of a column or short wall.

The other thing that comes to mind is how the HT electronics may integrate with other home systems. Will you want network access to you equipment? and where should that go? (this is another reason I would think the first orientation might work out best.)

I'm sure Dennis will see great opportunities here. I'm looking forward to it!

Fred

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred /forum/post/0

I like the theater layout of the first option best - mostly because I think the sources and other electronics should be placed nearer the projector (behind the viewer), and I think that'll work out better in that orientation. I do think the place you put the door for access to storage in the second drawing is the better choice, and I don't see why you can't use that door location behind an AT screen. Also, I figure the best way to set up an AT screen is with a concealed walk-around - no door needed to get behind the screen, just walk between the front of the screen and the back of a column or short wall.

That's a really good idea! I put the door in the back wall in option 1 because I figured the false wall would need to attach to the side wall. Which would likely fall where the door is. But your solution would let me leave that door on the side. I could let the door open into the storage as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred /forum/post/0

The other thing that comes to mind is how the HT electronics may integrate with other home systems. Will you want network access to you equipment? and where should that go? (this is another reason I would think the first orientation might work out best.)

I'm not sure I follow you here? I figured I would put some network jacks in the theater, but could also use wireless. The media closet would also be wired as well

Thanks again for the feedback!

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A /forum/post/20532137

The next bit of progress will be to have someone get a bush hog out there and cut down all the waste high weed and saplings!

use round up then bulldoze

#13 ·
You're the second person to tell me must to have them use the dozer to skim the entire yard. That way it gets all of the sapling roots and stumps as well, and I think that's what we're planning to do. However, I'm still planning to bush hog it, but just so we can get a better idea of where things are and where to put the house on the lot. It's hard to see much out there right now, and I'd hate to pay the guy with the dozer to come out there twice.

#14 ·
Oh, its a lawnmower of sorts - I thought you were searching for truffles.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20688128

Oh, its a lawnmower of sorts - I thought you were searching for truffles.

That's funny! You got me thinking, though. Bush hog is one of those things I've heard most of my life, but never really stopped to make sure it's the correct word. Fortunately, it is. I would have felt like a real rube if it hadn't been.

As a bit of an update. We've got what we think are the final sketches. So hopefully we'll be going to CAD drawings soon!

#16 ·
Didn't realize you had a build thread going! Good for you!

In looking at your layout and room dimensions, I didn't realize how similar in size our rooms were. You're 18" wider than I, but other than that, identical.

Looking forward to following along.

#17 · (Edited)
Great to have you along, Tony! We got our first set of CAD drawings yesterday, and we actually gained a few more feet of length in the room. I'm hoping that will make it easier to access the storage area behind the screen.

We're planning to start construction around the first of next month, so I could really use everyone's input on the layout.

Attachments

#18 ·
How do you access the storage room now?

There's a reasonable chance that if you go with the Danleys, the ports will face into the front wall. If so, you'll need that air space we discussed. I would suggest a minimum of 28" behind the screen. That also opens up options for other subs, if you go a different route now or in the future.

Your room dimensions are fantastic! You are 18" wider than me, and my side isles could use that extra 9" per side. I'm okay with it, but yours will feel "generous".

I also really like how the stairs let you off at riser level for the theater!

#19 ·
I'll be interested to see what you do with seating. I'm 1 foot shorter than you in length.

People made fun of me for reserving 22' x 30 space for HT... "what do you want to do, play hockey in there?", but I was surprised how restrictive it is. I just gave up on 2 rows + desk/bar and I'm starting to wonder if I can really do 2 rows without comprising both.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident /forum/post/20786068

I'll be interested to see what you do with seating. I'm 1 foot shorter than you in length.

People made fun of me for reserving 22' x 30 space for HT... "what do you want to do, play hockey in there?", but I was surprised how restrictive it is. I just gave up on 2 rows + desk/bar and I'm starting to wonder if I can really do 2 rows without comprising both.

I understand completely! The look on our architect's face when I told them I had to have at least 18'x28' (IIRC) for a theater was priceless. My builder get's it though. He's got a nice HT in his home, and he just asked, "what else are you going to do with a basement? You only need so many bedrooms, living spaces and bathrooms."

With regard to seating, have you looked at tony123's thread? He has a space that's nearly identical to what we have, and he has two rows with a bar at the back. I'm modeling quite a bit of my space after his.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/20786929

JPA, I enjoyed the phone call! Always nice to meet good people! Best wishes as you break ground on the home.

Tony,

I truly enjoyed the conversation as well. I haven't met anyone in my area with the HT affliction, so it's always nice to talk with someone that understands. Like I said, misery loves company

I also mentioned to my wife that I'd talked with you, and that you'd extended an invitation to visit your theater. All she asked was when I was planning to visit? I love my wife!

Thanks for the feedback on my layout as well. I think I would have preferred a rear entry into the theater similar to yours, but it wouldn't fit with the rest of the layout. However, I like the idea of the stairs stopping at riser height as well. There may be one more step-down from the landing, but it will be outside the theater.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/20779262

How do you access the storage room now?

There's a reasonable chance that if you go with the Danleys, the ports will face into the front wall. If so, you'll need that air space we discussed. I would suggest a minimum of 28" behind the screen. That also opens up options for other subs, if you go a different route now or in the future.

Almost forgot. Entry to the storage area is a problem I haven't worked out yet. I've considered using french cleats and just lifting the screen off the wall when I need to get back there, and I've also considered a piano hinge or something to swing the screen up. I'm not a huge fan of either option as I'd like to DIY a masking system at some point.

I'm open to suggestions!

I was guessing about 24" behind the screen wall, so it sounds like I need to bump that up to 28"-30". I'd rather have a little extra than not enough!

#25 ·
I think I would lose too much space by moving it the far forward. It's a good idea, though. I think my drawing may be a little off as well. I think the false wall and the wall dividing off the storage area will actually be a little further back. I didn't have enough dimensions to work from so I had to guess at it a bit.

#26 ·
The 28" is working well for my room, but that's not to say your room doesn't respond differently. Also consider that you may limit options for your LCR depending on how much space you leave back there. Some mains are rear ported and quite deep.

What are the two spaces on the plan that aren't labelled at all? crawl space?

In my room I think there is an advantage to rear entering doors particularly because they can open up and allow viewing from the gameroom. Yours is layed out differently, and I like the rear/side entry you have drawn.

Your wife sounds like a smart woman! She's welcome too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.