AVS Forum banner

Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]

757K views 6K replies 740 participants last post by  whipit 
#1 ·

2 Days ago the Panasonic TC-P55VT30 hit the streets. The Panasonic TC-P65VT30 have hit too. In Europe VT30 will be available in 42, 50, 55 and 65 inches and will be called TX-P42VT30, TX-P50VT30, TX-P55VT30 and TX-P65VT30. The TV is basically the same.

Chad B ( Read about Chad B, Click Here ) stopped by for a visit and tested and reviewed the TC-P65VT30 >>> Click Here

The Eagles Have Landed !!

Review of the European Model TC-P50VT30 >>> Click Here

Another Review for the VT30 >>> Click Here She tested very well !!

See less See more
#5,205 ·
I have attached my calibration report for everyone. Just a little history, I ran through all the D-Nice procedures and setting prior to the professional calibration by Gregg Loewen of Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc. All I can say is wow what a difference look at the changes in the report, the picture is a day and night difference. So those that are on the fence about a professional calibration on this set go for it you do not know what you are missing.

Sept Build, Firmware 2.1 then 2.2 applied.

200 hours of break-in slide prior to D-Nice settings.

The panel is so much brighter and colors are way more accurate it's incredible

Sorry could only upload 5 out of the 6 files but you will get the point. Attachment 235999

Attachment 236000

Attachment 236001

Attachment 236002

Attachment 236003

#5,206 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfleming007 /forum/post/21582933

I have attached my calibration report for everyone. Just a little history, I ran through all the D-Nice procedures and setting prior to the professional calibration by Gregg Loewen of Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc. All I can say is wow what a difference look at the changes in the report, the picture is a day and night difference. So those that are on the fence about a professional calibration on this set go for it you do not know what you are missing.

Sept Build, Firmware 2.1 then 2.2 applied.

200 hours of break-in slide prior to D-Nice settings.

The panel is so much brighter and colors are way more accurate it's incredible

Thanks so much for sharing these-- your calibration was really worth it!

Great decision!

#5,208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by butternutty /forum/post/21582851

I've been enjoying my second 65VT30 for about 2 weeks now (the first I returned because of fluctuating brightness). The picture is great, no FBr or any other problems that I've noticed so far, and I'm having the set professionally calibrated in mid-February. However, it is a June build with an EEPROM value of 84:44. Apologies if this has already been asked and answered elsewhere in this forum, but if the set isn't exhibiting FBr, is there any reason to install the EEPROM update? If so, does it matter if the installation occurs before or after calibration?

Most people would update the EEPROM before having their display calibrated. If you are using any of the calibrators who's work is reported (post #2 for flat panels) in the link at the bottom of my post then I would recommend that you contact the one you're working with for their advise.

If you're having BB do the calibration then it probably doesn't make any difference. Their calibrations are superficial at best.

#5,209 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfleming007 /forum/post/21582933

I ran through all the D-Nice procedures and setting prior to the professional calibration by Gregg Loewen of Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (post #2) lists that are linked at the bottom of my post.

Enjoy.

#5,210 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc /forum/post/21583377

@cfleming007: would you mind if I asked how much it cost for the service? You can PM me if you're more comfortable that way.

Still on the fence about this for my 65vt30 as I'm pretty happy with D-Nice's settings.

It might work better for you to contact the calibrator directly. Prices can vary depending on several factors. Somewhere in the $350 to $400 range is common for many situations. The first issue is where you are located in relation to the calibrator and his local area or tour areas.

#5,211 ·

Quote:

@cfleming007: would you mind if I asked how much it cost for the service? You can PM me if you're more comfortable that way.

Still on the fence about this for my 65vt30 as I'm pretty happy with D-Nice's settings.

Here's some information from their website and the areas they cover: http://lionav.com/payonly.php

YMMV, of course -- so contacting the person you wish to hire directly is the way to go (as htwaits has said above).

#5,212 ·
well,after purchasing a Samsung PN64D8000 a few weeks before xmas,I found myself also purchasing a Panasonic TC-65VT30 which arrived today.WOW that thing is heavy! Decided to put the Sammy downstairs in the "mancave" and putting the "Panny" upstairs in the familyroom above the mantle,on the wall above the gas insert fireplace.Anyone interested in donating Wheaties cereal,5 Hr energy drinks,a pair of stilts,and Popeyes forearms,Im gonna need them to lift this huge piece of solid flat panel Plasma above my head.Of course,I will have to paint the Familyroom before I mount it so I dont have to deal with dismounting it again in the near future,so if anyone is a good painter and doesnt mind cutting in the edges,I give you FIRST dibs on the remote after its all done! Any takers??????

#5,214 ·
For anyone using D-Nice reference settings, I can tell you there is nothing like having him calibrate your TV. I was using his reference settings and I was very unhappy with the color. D-Nice calibrated my VT30 today and its night and day. There is no substitute. I was ready to sell the plasma. After the calibration I am a happy camper.

#5,215 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard32 /forum/post/21590230

For anyone using D-Nice reference settings, I can tell you there is nothing like having him calibrate your TV.

Thanks for posting your comments about having your display calibrated. I've included a link to your report in the flat panel (post #2) lists that are linked at the bottom of my post.

#5,217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard32 /forum/post/21590230

For anyone using D-Nice reference settings, I can tell you there is nothing like having him calibrate your TV. I was using his reference settings and I was very unhappy with the color. D-Nice calibrated my VT30 today and its night and day. There is no substitute. I was ready to sell the plasma. After the calibration I am a happy camper.

lizard32

11 years at AVS ((New Member)) 0.0004981 posts per day, I think you might have the record-->

If D-Nice lived by me, I would not be contemplating returning my 65VT30-->

HH

#5,220 ·

Quote:

Just go to Lionav.com and their pricing is right on the Site. Gregg was awesome explained eveything all the way through. Not only is he one of the best but he is also the Lead THX instructor for the Nation. He's got some really good stories as well. Belive me when I say it the changes between D-Nice setting which are very good (Thanks D-Nice) are night and day. I woud do again in a heart beat. I am scheduling Gregg to come back and do my other 3 sets as well.

#5,221 ·
I am currently running my panel prep slides. Was cleaning the glass with proper cloth, and standing at a side angle. Saw a couple areas where it looked like a prism of colors. When I look at more direct angle I don't see it. What would cause the colors to leak out like that?

I also have a black pixel stuck only on blue slide. If a pixel was stuck why wouldn't it show on every color slide?

Thanks in advance.

#5,222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel7 /forum/post/21591390

I am currently running my panel prep slides. Was cleaning the glass with proper cloth, and standing at a side angle. Saw a couple areas where it looked like a prism of colors. When I look at more direct angle I don't see it. What would cause the colors to leak out like that?

I also have a black pixel stuck only on blue slide. If a pixel was stuck why wouldn't it show on every color slide?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe you are seeing a rainbow type effect from the AR filter and how it's louvers line up with the pixels. We are talking very small stuff here.

A black pixel on a blue slide means the blue sub-pixel in not working. That Pixel will work on other slides because the red and green sub-pixel is working. With a blue not working some secondary colors won't show the proper color and blue won't show at all.

#5,223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi /forum/post/21591150

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good calibrator for the VT30 near Oklahoma (or who occassional tours the area?) I'm considering having a calibration done sometime in the future.

Try the link at the bottom of my post. You can post in the "location" thread and ask for calibrators that work in your area, and then check the "owner reports" thread for references. Chad B might be one, but that's a guess.

#5,224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit /forum/post/21592213

Maybe you are seeing a rainbow type effect from the AR filter and how it's louvers line up with the pixels. We are talking very small stuff here.

A black pixel on a blue slide means the blue sub-pixel in not working. That Pixel will work on other slides because the red and green sub-pixel is working. With a blue not working some secondary colors won't show the proper color and blue won't show at all.

I wish I could get a picture of what I am seeing. Its not all over the screen, just certain spots. Some are more rectangular and some are more round blobish. I'll have to try to see if I can see it once I have completed my panel prep.

I tried massaging the location of the stuck pixel. I know with LCD some have had success with this method. Am I suck with this stuck pixel or is there something else I can try. I hate to return over a pixel. If I hadn't run these slides, I probably would have never seen it. But now that I know its there, it bothers me.

#5,226 ·
Strange question, I know..... Just had a Panasonic 65VT30 delivered and the box was open and foam plastic around the set was disoriented. The dealer had previously mentioned they might have an "open box" unit, but then sadi no and that the one I was buying was absolutely new. Was told by driver that the warehouse makes them open every box and look at plasma screen to make sure it isn't cracked.

Can anyone tell me if when they received this unit whether there was a plastic sheet on screen that you had to peel off? I ask b/c this is the first large set I have bought that did not have such a sticky plastic sheet on the front that had to be removed and I would like to know if I'm getting a truly "new" unit. Thanks.

#5,227 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2005 /forum/post/21594228

Strange question, I know..... Just had a Panasonic 65VT30 delivered and the box was open and foam plastic around the set was disoriented. The dealer had previously mentioned they might have an "open box" unit, but then sadi no and that the one I was buying was absolutely new. Was told by driver that the warehouse makes them open every box and look at plasma screen to make sure it isn't cracked.

Can anyone tell me if when they received this unit whether there was a plastic sheet on screen that you had to peel off? I ask b/c this is the first large set I have bought that did not have such a sticky plastic sheet on the front that had to be removed and I would like to know if I'm getting a truly "new" unit. Thanks.

My 55VT30 had no plastic on the glass. It had 2 little blue plastic inserts on the sides about 6-8 inches long.

#5,228 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2005 /forum/post/0

Just check the hours on the set.

#5,229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel7 /forum/post/0

I wish I could get a picture of what I am seeing. Its not all over the screen, just certain spots. Some are more rectangular and some are more round blobish. I'll have to try to see if I can see it once I have completed my panel prep.

I tried massaging the location of the stuck pixel. I know with LCD some have had success with this method. Am I suck with this stuck pixel or is there something else I can try. I hate to return over a pixel. If I hadn't run these slides, I probably would have never seen it. But now that I know its there, it bothers me.

I would return over a stuck pixel. I consider that defective. Would you buy a new car with a little crack in the window?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.