AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 806 participants last post by  SailorVenus 
#1 ·

Ok here are some snapshot pictures of my 70" ELITE! Sorry for the wait everyone please enjoy, I'll take more later but it's been a very long weekend for me. OH and for those of you still wondering, YES this ELITE is the Real thing! I was totally blow away with the picture quality and deep blacks! When I have more time I"ll write a review, but for now enjoy some quick snapshots.

See less See more
#7,141 ·
OK, I'm no professional calibrator (God knows well!), but to calibrate or measure for reference a TV with an active function that dynamically alters the brightness of the LEDs based on the image contents seems plain crazy ...

I'm assuming (and hoping) that even though Tom says you can leave the LD function on in the lower settings he didn't for his measurements.

#7,142 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross /forum/post/21657515

There's no substitute for a professional ISF calibration by a pro like Kevin Miller. Kevin did my Elite today and although I thought the picture couldn't get any better, Kevin proved me wrong....With his ISF settings in place, the picture quality was raised to the next level. Flesh tones are stunning.

I just had my 70" Elite calibrated by the Best Buy Geek Squad. (It was included in the purchase of my set, so I figured I'd give them a shot).

Wow - the picture is unwatchable. The image is so overexposed now that I had to switch back to the CNET settings. The colors are amazing with the ISF Day setting, but the oversaturation kills it. I don't know what the guy was thinking - he must have relied 100% on his computer, gizmos, and test patterns and never actually looked at how awful actual TV/Blu-ray images looked when he was done.

Unfortunately, because the colors are so good on ISF Day, now the CNET settings also seem "blah" to me.

Does anyone know how to access the ISF mode? The calibrator unplugged the TV, then held some combination of channel and volume buttons on the side of the TV while I plugged the TV back in and turned it on. He then entered a 3-digit code (I think it was 1-6-3, but I'm not sure).

If anyone can tell me how to do this properly, I'd appreciate it. Then at least I can see if lowering the backlighting, contrast, or something would fix the overexposed image. I also can't even tell whether the guy left Film Mode or Motion Enhancement on or off since I'm completely locked out of the settings; the only thing I can adjust is Local Dimming (which he had left on OFF, if you can believe it).

#7,143 ·
Here is how to reset your Sharp to factory settings. Of course you will lose all of your calibrated settings. It works on most Sharps. Not sure about the Elite though.

1. Unplug your set

2. While holding vol down and input buttons on your set, plug unit back in. The set should turn on and you will see a blue box with a K in it on the left hand side of your screen

3. Push Vol down and Channel down buttons at the same time on the set. You should now be in service menu.

4. With the remote controle, push the arrow down button 1 time.

5. Look for factory init.

6. Arrow right to turn it on.

7. Press enter, or ok on the remote. You should see some //////. Wait a minute and you should should get a solid green screen that says Factory Init Success.

8. Unplug TV. Wait 30 sec's

9. Plug back in and power up. You should be at first time set up.

#7,145 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERosenbrg /forum/post/21666197

I just had my 70" Elite calibrated by the Best Buy Geek Squad. (It was included in the purchase of my set, so I figured I'd give them a shot).

Wow - the picture is unwatchable. The image is so overexposed now that I had to switch back to the CNET settings. The colors are amazing with the ISF Day setting, but the oversaturation kills it. I don't know what the guy was thinking - he must have relied 100% on his computer, gizmos, and test patterns and never actually looked at how awful actual TV/Blu-ray images looked when he was done.

Unfortunately, because the colors are so good on ISF Day, now the CNET settings also seem "blah" to me.

Does anyone know how to access the ISF mode? The calibrator unplugged the TV, then held some combination of channel and volume buttons on the side of the TV while I plugged the TV back in and turned it on. He then entered a 3-digit code (I think it was 1-6-3, but I'm not sure).

If anyone can tell me how to do this properly, I'd appreciate it. Then at least I can see if lowering the backlighting, contrast, or something would fix the overexposed image. I also can't even tell whether the guy left Film Mode or Motion Enhancement on or off since I'm completely locked out of the settings; the only thing I can adjust is Local Dimming (which he had left on OFF, if you can believe it).

You can use something like ControlCAL to access and manage the ISF settings. Otherwise you can just use the THX Movie AV mode - you don't need to reset - just don't use them

Oops! simultaneous posting syndrome!

You'll find the ISF settings a bit more involved as there are no generic tint / color controls. The only way to change color characteristics is through the RGBYCM settings in the CMS section, and the 10-point white balance section. You could try de-saturating by reducing each color's saturation setting by 1 or 2 in CMS. Might upset the color balance a bit but may not be too noticeable ...

#7,146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERosenbrg /forum/post/21666197

Wow - the picture is unwatchable.

There are a lot of members here at AVS that try to alert folks that a "free" calibration from BB is more of a sales gimmick than a benefit.

If you are ever interested in a professional calibration from someone with good references check out the link at the bottom of my post.

#7,148 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude /forum/post/0

You can use something like ControlCAL to access and manage the ISF settings. Otherwise you can just use the THX Movie AV mode - you don't need to reset - just don't use them

I was under the impression the Elite profile wasnt yet finalized for ControlCAL. I don't see any reference to it on their site. I actually need to disengage the 'Standard' motion setting in the ISF mode as I see an occasional stutter with motion. Previously I had used no motion enhancements.

#7,149 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross /forum/post/21666814

I was under the impression the Elite profile wasnt yet finalized for ControlCAL. I don't see any reference to it on their site. I actually need to disengage the 'Standard' motion setting in the ISF mode as I see an occasional stutter with motion. Previously I had used no motion enhancements.
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790

#7,152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross /forum/post/21666814

Ken, it's not in the main website but it's in the forum section, and you'll need to send Turbe an e-mail.

ControlCAL

#7,156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits /forum/post/21666566

There are a lot of members here at AVS that try to alert folks that a "free" calibration from BB is more of a sales gimmick than a benefit.

If you are ever interested in a professional calibration from someone with good references check out the link at the bottom of my post.

I didn't see any link at the bottom of your post.

#7,157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude /forum/post/21666298

Oops! simultaneous posting syndrome!

You'll find the ISF settings a bit more involved as there are no generic tint / color controls. The only way to change color characteristics is through the RGBYCM settings in the CMS section, and the 10-point white balance section. You could try de-saturating by reducing each color's saturation setting by 1 or 2 in CMS. Might upset the color balance a bit but may not be too noticeable ...

I just want to be able to start up the TV in ISF mode, nothing more complicated than that. All the calibrator had to do was hold down some combination of buttons in the lower left while turning on the TV, then entering a 3-digit code. Then I'm just going to change backlighting, brightness, and contrast to see if it makes any difference. If not, I'll call Best Buy and have them send a different calibrator to fix their screw-up.

#7,158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERosenbrg /forum/post/21667984

I didn't see any link at the bottom of your post.

Move your mouse over the text strings at the bottom of my post:

"Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations"

and

"Calibrator's locations and tour areas."

They are both links.

#7,159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERosenbrg /forum/post/21668001

I just want to be able to start up the TV in ISF mode, nothing more complicated than that. All the calibrator had to do was hold down some combination of buttons in the lower left while turning on the TV, then entering a 3-digit code. Then I'm just going to change backlighting, brightness, and contrast to see if it makes any difference. If not, I'll call Best Buy and have them send a different calibrator to fix their screw-up.

I have asked the same thing before but no one reply. I am able to get CalMan free trial to access the ISF. CalMan has auto greyscale calibration, which is very nice. but you can use its feature to simply adjust backlight, contrast and brightness without doing the calibration.

Interestingly, I haven't read anyone else here trying CalMan's AutoCal for elite. My result is fantastic.