AVS Forum banner
1M views 8K replies 1K participants last post by  ErikGoBlue 
#1 ·
Don't know what came over me. I was going to buy a Sony 55HX909 tonight on shop NBC as it might be the value of the day at midnight. But I was in a local big box store and loved the look. Granted, it was a semi crappy feed, overly bright and not D65. But when I looked at the picture, I thought the bezel disappeared. I just got it home and my son took over the Toshiba 65" DLP that I'm moving to the basement. Hopefully, I'll set it up tomorrow and give some impressions.

I got it with an HDMI 3D 1000HD Monster Cable, which claims that if the HDMI tech changes, they'll upgrade it for free. I won't hold my breath, but we'll see. I also bought a Samsung BD-D6500 and a Samsung starter kit with Shrek 1-3 and Megamind in 3D.

All I can tell you so far is that it's much lighter than last years models (Samsung C series and Sony's at least). The box is very thin, and has 4 round plastic plugs, 2 on either side of the front and back. You squeeze and pull them out to release the box from the base, and the whole box (other than the base) comes off. I inspected the screen before I left and it was fine. The outside of the box says, "free qwerty remote." It's supposed to be a bonus to the touch screen, which I have not yet seen. The touch screen remote is supposed to let you stream the TV program. I read that it fan stream a second input, but I don't know how that will work. It could require a second satellite/cable feed or a second source. Not sure if the second feed could be a DVR recording, a different channel or a BD. Will update this when I figure it all out. I know the B series had some issues sometimes detecting wireless networks. Hopefully, the D8000 will be seamless. The BD6500 that I also bought is also wireless n. I would normally set up everything right away, but my son's too young to help me move my DLP, and my wife had enough electronics and went to bed. Lol. If anyone is interested, I'll have to pick up one of the calibration DVDs. I don't have one, but if anyone knows the easiest one to use that's not too expensive, please tell me and I'll order one.

See less See more
#7,545 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboys6190 /forum/post/21723069

Is anybody aware of any panel revisions for the 60 inch model?? I am suppose to be getting mine today and am curious what version I should be looking for.

Thanks.

I am pretty sure its the 303 version.

The reason being, they were not originally offered for sale. They came later.

However, I am lead to believe by various sources, that because they are 5 inches (and often 10) bigger than the 55's, the extra distance makes uniformity a bit of a problem too; and that the manufacturing process is 'down pat' now, so it won't be as big an issue at it first was with the original 55s

Quote:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-review-7.html
According to some anecdotal evidence, it looks like Samsung is addressing this but once again in their usually odd manner. Instead of doing sufficient quality assurance tests BEFORE the initial sets shipped to retailers, they have been busy performing very quiet panel revisions. Our sample used a H302 revision and the first batch of UN55D8000 TVs used H301 panels while the newest shipments seem to be coming with H303 units. Normally this wouldn’t make much of a difference but supposedly the newest revision fixes many of the uniformity problems we experienced. I guess this just goes to prove that early adopters can get royally screwed from time to time.

#7,546 ·
has anyone else tried my settings? I am interested in knowing if more people have had luck.

I am going to boot them onto my parents set on sunday, and they have the most critical eyes. On par with you guys, who everyone rightfully deserves the best.

I am looking at this screen and these settings are simply the best I've ever seen with my own eyes.

I am interested in finding any glitches with the settings. Though I suspect no settings are perfect, I have watched a wide variety of source material from sd to hd, sports and movies and tv shows. These settings simply handle them all so well.

I only lament that more people had better screens. I think samsung really owes it to such people for replacements.

Sometimes I write too much, but I had been remarking before (and someone told me this once) and that is to calibrate the tv NOT acording to the white settings. That you should not rely on that kind of thing to get to your final result. Because it won't be as good - and its oftent too tricky and compromising - as if you calibrate for a decent white balance (not perfect), and THEN, USE the tv's features to get to the picture you want. I think thats how this tv operates best. And clearly, the scenes I see on this tv now live up to the hype. It was always "very good" but never THIS good.

#7,547 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGwhat /forum/post/21721570

I actually have the same receiver as you. I don't have any sync problems with cable. I was able to use the RC360's sync adjust to fix sync problems with my PS3 for Blu Rays.

Is your Tivo connected to your TV? You mentioned using AnyNet+ to feed sound from the TV to the receiver. My cable box is connected directly to the receiver, which then feeds both video and audio through the D8000's ARC HDMI port 2. I would recommend trying that if you haven't already.

No, the Tivo is connected to my receiver on HDMI port 2, which feeds both video and audio to the TV. I use the ARC feature to return sound from the TV when using TV apps.

Also, the AnyNet+ feature gets confused when using Hulu on the Tivo box, it thinks the sound is coming from the TV so it switches the receiver to TV sound, resulting in NO sound since it should be coming from my Tivo box.

#7,548 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by d8000 user /forum/post/21723214

has anyone else tried my settings? I am interested in knowing if more people have had luck.

I am going to boot them onto my parents set on sunday, and they have the most critical eyes. On par with you guys, who everyone rightfully deserves the best.

I am looking at this screen and these settings are simply the best I've ever seen with my own eyes.

I am interested in finding any glitches with the settings. Though I suspect no settings are perfect, I have watched a wide variety of source material from sd to hd, sports and movies and tv shows. These settings simply handle them all so well.

I only lament that more people had better screens. I think samsung really owes it to such people for replacements.

Sometimes I write too much, but I had been remarking before (and someone told me this once) and that is to calibrate the tv NOT acording to the white settings. That you should not rely on that kind of thing to get to your final result. Because it won't be as good - and its oftent too tricky and compromising - as if you calibrate for a decent white balance (not perfect), and THEN, USE the tv's features to get to the picture you want. I think thats how this tv operates best. And clearly, the scenes I see on this tv now live up to the hype. It was always "very good" but never THIS good.

D8000 I have tried your settings and like them a lot. I think I will keep these settings. Dynamic Contrast set to medium and color is set to warm1 instead of warm2. the colors are vibrant and the blacks are nice a black. I will play around with brightness and contrast but I think 96 contrast and 53 work well for my set. I have a un55d8000 and I don't have the shadow detail option under advance beneath dynamic contrast. Gamma is below dynamic contrast on my set. thanks for the settings!

#7,549 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toepepper /forum/post/21723478

D8000 I have tried your settings and like them a lot. I think I will keep these settings. Dynamic Contrast set to medium and color is set to warm1 instead of warm2. the colors are vibrant and the blacks are nice a black. I will play around with brightness and contrast but I think 96 contrast and 53 work well for my set. I have a un55d8000 and I don't have the shadow detail option under advance beneath dynamic contrast. Gamma is below dynamic contrast on my set. thanks for the settings!

awesome Final settings included below. true vibrancy this one, and it does not alter/warp too much color. its fine.

***** Shadow detail question **** I think MKAnet told of the differences. I have the UA55d. Its bizzare how they are all different! frustrating.

Lucky for you shadow detail is a minor tweak.
sorry, maybe shadow detail for you is irrelevant, i think I remember MKAnet saying that your model gets it automatically done dynamically? Its back like 30 pages or so. lol sorry. But its not really anything to worry about.

The only reason i lowered it was to try and make it as dark as possible and also as bright as possible at the same time. Its true that darker shows hide flaws better, and my discerning eye (in critical mode haha) noticed that when I turned it down, it was just a fraction better, but its seriously not a big difference.

I have since tinkered with my settings. Because I felt I could get better color still. This set always surprises me.

I set out to make a movie mode than was like natural but without the drawbacks. And I think I have hit upon that right now.

See what you think.

I turned color up. I set it to 56.

Gamma I put to 0.

Shadow detail I put to -2.

---> I also put color tone to warm 1. I felt warm 2 was too warm, probably just like you.

I swear this is just breathtaking. The color pops just beautiful but its never over saturated or too green or blue.

It was the last missing piece of the puzzle for me ( a simple piece) thats made this into Natural-Movie Mode.

Here are my Natural-Movie Mode settings. The black is black, the colors pop crisply. There is such little difference now between this and Natural Mode, mainly that this is far superior in the things already mentioned. I am so proud of this tv.

This is the preset I wished Samsung included While my aim is to give you the natural movie mode experience, feel free to adjust settings to get what you feel is best. To me, my screen now looks like Natural but in the movie mode, as in the color is as vibrant, yet the detail is not crushed, and accuracy is preserved. Switching between this and Natural itself is only a slight difference. But the advantages of movie mode are clear - mainly that it still looks like Movie Mode and the accuracy of the original picture is apparent; to me, this is how TV should be viewed.

--->Natural Movie Mode

#7,550 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 /forum/post/21719246

The XBR, like the D8000, is a TN panel. Its biggest issues are viewing angles and local blooming (full array LED backlight). Until IPS starts to make a comeback, we'll continue to see crappy viewing angles. The new LG LM9600 is supposed to be IPS. Hopefully the other vendors will follow LG's example.

I don't have too many sources for this, but previously I've always heard that the D8000 was an S-PVA panel (LTJ 550HQ04 S-PVA according to a quick google). Not quite as fast as TN, but much better colors, and still pretty fast.

IPS - which I have on my Dell monitor at work - has pretty good viewing angles but turns blacks to purple at an angle. It is also VERY slow, not suitable for active 3D at all; and 3D is one of Samsung's strongest points.

#7,551 ·
What I mean when I say I want to see "what the director intended" (instead of an image that always is super bright and poppy) is that the director will often skew a picture to be desaturated overall, over saturated, or skewed to one color or the other. A good example of this is The Matrix, where blue was sucked out of the picture to give the viewer a subtle feeling of despair. These kinds of things are lost when you get a little too excited with the settings.

That's why the HD709 spec exists- it's what the director has his monitors calibrated to. Ideally, you want to be as close to this as possible. What you've done with your set is not a calibration- if it looks good to you that's awesome, but it's impossible to calibrate a set without test patterns at the very least (brightness, contrast, color, tint), and a colorimeter in a good case.

#7,552 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 /forum/post/0

What I mean when I say I want to see "what the director intended" (instead of an image that always is super bright and poppy) is that the director will often skew a picture to be desaturated overall, over saturated, or skewed to one color or the other. A good example of this is The Matrix, where blue was sucked out of the picture to give the viewer a subtle feeling of despair. These kinds of things are lost when you get a little too excited with the settings.

That's why the HD709 spec exists- it's what the director has his monitors calibrated to. Ideally, you want to be as close to this as possible. What you've done with your set is not a calibration- if it looks good to you that's awesome, but it's impossible to calibrate a set without test patterns at the very least (brightness, contrast, color, tint), and a colorimeter in a good case.

Tempest, did you see the screen shots I posted?

#7,555 ·
Here are my former calibrated settings. I am/was VERY HAPPY WITH THESE. But for anyone who wants enhanced color on high quality material, the other settings are fine too.

Mode: movie

b light 14

contr 96

bright 54

sharp 15

color 47 (But I love having it as high as 56 too)

___

D-contrast. off (but by all means if you want more vibrancy set to medium, it will crush some detail not a lot)

Black Tone off

shadow detail 0

gamma -2

white balance, 19 18 18 31 29 24

warm 2

film mode auto 1

xvYCC: ON ( i always find when turning this on, I get even better color again. Coming from my computer (the d8000 is the second monitor, the color is cropped somewhat if I do not have this on. having it on makes the color more vibrant, so check your blue ray players?)

COLOR SPACE

Color Space - Custom.

Red. (red, green, blue) 48, 0, 0

Green 0 52 0

Blue 0 0 55

Yellow 50 50 0

Cyan 0 50 50

Magenta 50 0 50

the color may not pop as much as the other one, but it is the more acurate of the two, for those who have such tastes. I wholeheartedly see nothing wrong with the settings. shadow detail and gamma is good for me. it uses a coarse white balance (using a non individualized 10 point is worthless btw) colors are acurate and there are never any unwanted artifacts or wrong colors, ect.

#7,556 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by balla01 /forum/post/21723027

What demo are you using on your picture above, and what is the exact time you are on?

Is the AVS HD 790 cd version

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

I see your pictures and look good. I can't see any banding on your set, You try the sony demo, I like to see some picture of your set with this demo.

#7,557 ·
Hi,

Im looking to buy a samsung TV not sure which series yet, but ive noticed that the colors on a samsung are not natural. Its got way too much more color then the other sets like sony and LG. How does everyone like it this way?

Have a look at the pic ive linked to, the baby looks pink on the samsung (top left), where it looks more natural on the LG and Sony.

#7,559 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMX /forum/post/0

Is the AVS790HD cd version, I see your pictures and you have a great set I can see any banding on your set, You try the sony demo, I like to see some picture of your set with this demo.

The Sony demo. I did not see that video you were referencing I'm those links you posted. Do you have a direct link to it??

#7,560 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop Parwani /forum/post/0

Hi,

Im looking to buy a samsung TV not sure which series yet, but ive noticed that the colors on a samsung are not natural. Its got way too much more color then the other sets like sony and LG. How does everyone like it this way?

Have a look at the pic ive linked to, the baby looks pink on the samsung (top left), where it looks more natural on the LG and Sony.

Sorry to say, but this is probably not the best way to compare sets. Go see them side by side.

#7,561 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by balla01 /forum/post/21724550

Sorry to say, but this is probably not the best way to compare sets. Go see them side by side.

I have. multiple times. hence i ask. The colors seem more natural on a LG or Sony. Doesnt anyone feel the samsung has way more color on its sets making peoples faces on their tv screens less natural when compared to a sony or lg?

#7,562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop Parwani /forum/post/0

I have. multiple times. hence i ask. The colors seem more natural on a LG or Sony. Doesnt anyone feel the samsung has way more color on its sets making peoples faces on their tv screens less natural when compared to a sony or lg?

I think if I had to choose, I would choose the one that has "too much" color and you can tame it down to your liking.

#7,563 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop Parwani /forum/post/21724526

Hi,

its just so hard to know which picture is the correct one for real life, or if they were doctored by the people selling.

colors on the samsung when dialed in are praised. in fact they come pretty close out of the box, and its not hard to improve it a lot.

#7,564 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast /forum/post/21724537

d8k, have you used the Standard setting? Personally I have might setup as that as Movie mode is too dark and have modified the settings to look nearly identical to Movie with the same colors.

thats interesting

have heard of it but I have not done it.

share your settings if you life. interesting.

___

The below settings in movie mode are the ones I was using previously and they were very good.

movie

b light 14

contr 96

bright 54

sharp 15

color 56

___

shadow detail -2

gamma 0

white balance, 19 18 18 31 29 24 (white balance is tricky, sometimes if you go either way on a couple of someone elses settings you can get them even better, its hard to get the bloody gamma flat. its like shooting in the dark)

warm 2

film mode auto 1

COLOR SPACE

Color Space

Red

Green

Blue

Red

Green

Blue

Yellow

Cyan

Magenta

#7,565 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by balla01 /forum/post/21724539

The Sony demo. I did not see that video you were referencing I'm those links you posted. Do you have a direct link to it??

The direct link dont work, use the first two links I post and click on download link on that page. Is the Eye candy demo if you like to search on the third link I post.

#7,566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by d8000 user /forum/post/21724813

thats interesting

have heard of it but I have not done it.

share your settings if you life. interesting.

Sure thing. I have the initial settings here, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21572181 , and have made minor changes. I have been happy with them and was giving the tv a little more usage before I worked on them again. Here they are:

Picture mode: Standard

Backlight: 16

Contrast: 86

Brightness:43

Sharpness: 20

Color: 52 (yours was missing)

Tint: 50/50

Advanced Settings

Black tone: Off

Dynamic Contrast: LOW

Gamma: 1

Expert Pattern: Off

RGB: Off

Color Space: Native

10P White: Off

Flesh Tone: 0

Edge Enhancement: On

Motion Lighting: Off

LED Motion Plus: Normal

Picture Options

Color Tone: Warm1

Digital Noise Filter: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

HDMI Black Level: Normal (can't change)

Auto Motion Plus: Clear

Film Mode: Auto2

Smart LED: Standard

Cinema Black: Off

My comments from MK's settings, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21563872 . Probably due to the low light where the tv is having dark's too dark doesn't work for us.

I might pop in the 709 disc soon and check these out again. My wife falls asleep in the living room a lot and doesn't like the clicking sound from the remote. And during the day here is FL it is sunny which will throw the settings off, unless it is overcast.

I don't know how to tweak the White Balance settings. But for Color I pulled out my handy Avia blue and green filters as well as checked in the RBG only mode. How would I tweak red?

#7,567 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by d8000 user /forum/post/0

I tried your settings last night. Overall, I do like them and have not gone back to my older settings. The only thing I noticed was that with your settings, the image seemed more grainy, less sharp. I wonder if that has to do with your Sharpness setting at 15. It does offer an older movie look that is nice for some content (caught a few seconds of Godfather II on TNT, and it looked great). I pumped up the Sharpness but it wasn't a drastic difference.

#7,568 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by by96 /forum/post/21725272

I tried your settings last night. Overall, I do like them and have not gone back to my older settings. The only thing I noticed was that with your settings, the image seemed more grainy, less sharp. I wonder if that has to do with your Sharpness setting at 15. It does offer an older movie look that is nice for some content (caught a few seconds of Godfather II on TNT, and it looked great). I pumped up the Sharpness but it wasn't a drastic difference.

+2, i like this settings very much, i am using them right now but i also noticed the grainy images, other than that i am very happy with these settings.

i was using MKANET settings which i love very much, the image is sharp and zero grain the only thing that i did not like was, the "grey" sheet across movie mode as d8000user said .

anyway i am very happy with either one...thank you both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.