AVS Forum banner

Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread

530K views 5K replies 476 participants last post by  spencers 
#1 ·

Welcome to the Latest AVS Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread

Goal

I noticed there are few threads here and there and in different forums, I hope this thread can help some of the new owners to set up and troubleshoot the tuner if there is a problem.

Brief history

In 2010, after few years of R&D and speculations, a fully working CableCard tuner finally released. This is a great news for the HTPC users in US who want to watch the pay channel programming within Media Center. No more S video, RCA, component or firewire input and IR blaster from cable box to HTPC. Other benefits are HTPC will be able to record the pay channel content such as CNN, ESPN & HBO into our own HDDs instead of the cable box's hard drive. Last but not least, with CableCard tuner, we can send the cable box back to cable provider and save $12/cable box, since our HTPC will be able to do just the cable box does and much more.

Engadget review here .

Price

$199 -> http://cetoncorp.com/buy-now/

Ordering CableCard from your cable provider

Do yourself a favor, if you have not order the CableCard yet, please just tell them you need the dual stream cable card like the one we insert to Tivo. I know Ceton or your dealer will ask you to be very specific such as "Multi-Stream CableCARD M-Card". But most if not all the service operators will have no clue what you about to do and in their system they will not list it that way. According to Comcast rep when I ordered my CableCard, it listed as "dual stream cable card (TiVo)" in their system.

Official manufacture site

Official Setup Guide

http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/  

Set up other than local HDD as a Recorded TV folder

Set up Kensafe iStorage server in the desired storage server and initiate local machine connects to as an iSCSI server using the instruction here .

Follow the direction here if you want to get a free 1 server lisc of Kensafe iStorage server.

Installation

PCIe

Official Installation Guide

Official Installation Video

Cannon PC installation Video at YouTube  - Video demonstrates steps for a Ceton InfiniTV 4 being installed in a PC.

Report problems to Ceton

Most likely before Ceton support will be able to help you out, you will need to send them the log. Please go to their Diagnostic Tool -> Diagnostic, describe your problem inside the top description box, click "collect information" and this tool will collect all the log. Save the log and email them. Yahoo mail and Gmail will think this is a virus after you attach and not allow you to send such log. You can use different email client or send the log via Ceton support site .

Most common problems
No TV signal

*Check your signal strength and make sure your signal strength is not -15 dBmV and more.

*Make sure you go thru the installation process, above, and activate and pairing your InfiniTV 4 tuner card with the cable provider's cable card.

Signal and Temp

Signal: From what I told by Ceton, we need the signal to be -10 dBmV to 10dBmV (some member using the Motorola signal booster to boost up the incoming signal.

I personally encountered some problems here and at the end, Comcast technician came back redo some of the coaxial wiring, removed the splitter and all fine after that. (from -15 dBmV to -1 to 3 dBmV now)

Temp: 60C to 70C (according to Ceton, anything over 70C we need to watch out) You can refer the signal and temp from their Diagnostic Tool OR you can try InfiniTV Status Media Center Plugin and after installed, it will be in the Extra section in Media Center.

"View or Listening Conflict" Media Center Message

*When you reboot and start your HTPC, this will be most likely the message displaying, about 5 to 10 secs, before the Live TV kicks in.

*According to Ceton, different AV vendors will block different ports/settings and such Windows message will appear. But with Ceton released Network Tuner Wizard, the build in tool will allows tuner to go thru different setting based on your AV software.

*Before the Official Network Tuner Wizard released in beginning of May, 11, there are few tricks to share the tuners. Different tricks or hacks can easily cause such Windows message appears.

"Video Error Files needed to display video are not installed or not working" Media Center Message

Below are what I noticed from different members to sove this problem.

* Disable "Exclusive" in the Properties of the default playback properties

* Change Windows Playback to stereo, 2 channel, and whatever speaker setting you have in Media Center

* Turn off navigation and animations sounds in Media Center

* If none of the above work, please try below and reboot.

Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off.

Turn off the media features. Reboot. Then follow the same procedure to turn them back on.

Please note that you will have to re-run the Media Center Setup.

Happy Live TV and Record 4 programming at once!

See less See more
#2,031 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4nc3f0rm3r /forum/post/21717062

Ok...so...in my fruitless quest to minimize the rebooting that occurs, I've downgraded the drivers to version 1.3.0.2 and the card is rebooting much less frequently. It's so noticable that I'm contemplating downgrading the firmware to 1.0.9.5...although my hardware image is 5000...not sure if I want to risk it. If I brick it, I'd call it quits and go the Tivo route....

What do y'all think?

I didn't even know a HW version 5000 existed (I'm still on 4884). I've been relatively stable on 1.0.9.5 for at least 7 months and actually downgraded back to this version when I tried the latest public release. But since you're on a different HW version, I wouldn't risk it w/out the OK from Ceton.

#2,033 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcr6419 /forum/post/21717418

This is the second person I've seen with InfiniTV Hardware Version 5000. Did ceton have you load this to try to resolve a problem?

Their update page still shows PCIe 4884 and USB 4881 as current.

I have 5000 and 5124 and still can't get this tuner sharing to work. Computer is back to freezing any time I implement support for tuner sharing. I tried every card slot configuration available. It's so bad that not only does it freeze, but it damages something so that windows won't even reboot without going through startup repair. Most of the time that fails requiring restoring from an image.

#2,034 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideNine /forum/post/21717136

How often did the card reboot?

So this is a tough question to answer...I would say at least once every two days (where I witnessed it) when there are less than 3 shows set to record at the same time.

And least each day when there were 3 or more shows set to record.

And now, it's probably once every 2-3 days no matter the load on it.

But I still got a partial last night...the show "Revenge" (my wife's) only 20 min recorded.

#2,035 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcr6419 /forum/post/21717418

This is the second person I've seen with InfiniTV Hardware Version 5000. Did ceton have you load this to try to resolve a problem?

Their update page still shows PCIe 4884 and USB 4881 as current.

No. The card came with hardware version 5000 (newegg). In fact, I sort of feel bleeding edge having a hardware version that Ceton doesn't even acknowledge as the latest version.

You know...it just needs to work. I don't mind tinkering a bit since I enjoy it, but for the regular consumer, it just needs to work. Say what you will about Tivo, but in nearly a decade, it's never missed a single recording or had any sort of problem except for power outages...or some other natural disaster.

#2,036 ·
I don't know if this will help anyone, but here is an update where I go from a somewhat negative to a positive experience: My USB unit would lose its USB connection almost daily. Solid blue light on, unit warm, so good on power, but only solution was to unplug for 10 seconds and let the unit reboot. No reboot of the PC itself. I tried signal improvement, no joy. Then I did 3 things: Moved the unit out from a shelf with little headroom to an open area (knocked about 5 degrees C off the operating temp down to low, mid 50's). I also reinstalled the Ceton in the WMC and disabled all the chimes. I cannot tell you what did the trick, but I am now about a week of uninterrupted uptimes and no failed recordings events.

#2,038 ·
Sorry folks, I forgot to post my data: Driver Pkg 1.5.4304.6, USB Driver 1.0.4.1, Firmware 1.0.9.6, Hardware 4881. Purchase date: Dec 11. FWIW I found you can get a few degress of temp drop if you install taller feet on the corners. There is very little clearance underneath otherwise and raising the unit surely helps convection/cooling. Even if overheat was not my issue, cooler components last longer in my experience.

#2,040 ·
I know I posted issues before but now have nothing but praises! The card, since I've upgraded the hardware and rebuild the OS, has not missed a recording yet. I still find myself checking the recording history just in case but it keeps on saying "Recorded". Very Nice!

Hopefully these are the last questions I have:

- Is anyone else using WD Green drives (5400rpm) for their recordings? Sometimes I think that is my bottle neck when streaming, recording more than 2 shows. I think I know I need to get a better drive but just wanted someone else's opinion...

- are there no ratings to be found in the guide at all? (like PG, R, etc) I just found that very odd...

- I'm thinking of getting a 2nd card to dedicate tuners to other PCs. has anyone got this working succesfully? In other words, was it fine when you had 1 card but started acting up when having 2?

#2,041 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp /forum/post/21718349

I don't know if this will help anyone, but here is an update where I go from a somewhat negative to a positive experience: My USB unit would lose its USB connection almost daily. Solid blue light on, unit warm, so good on power, but only solution was to unplug for 10 seconds and let the unit reboot. No reboot of the PC itself. I tried signal improvement, no joy. Then I did 3 things: Moved the unit out from a shelf with little headroom to an open area (knocked about 5 degrees C off the operating temp down to low, mid 50's). I also reinstalled the Ceton in the WMC and disabled all the chimes. I cannot tell you what did the trick, but I am now about a week of uninterrupted uptimes and no failed recordings events.

How do you disable chimes? Do you mean going into "Sound" from Control Panel and disabling all the Windows sounds?

#2,042 ·
Eric,

I am pleased to say that my family has been running our PCIe Infinitv4 with three Xbox extenders, and we are very pleased with its performance. We are on Comcast cable, and it has been smooth sailing after we made a few adjustments on our HTPC

and network. Our current setup is on lockdown, and I am not doing any updates or changes to the computer or Xboxes. I would like to add another PCIe Infinitv4 card which leads me to a line of questioning that I would like for you to consider.

I want to build another HTPC using identical components to the current HTPC that is running so smoothly. Here are my questions:

Can I get an Infinitv4 card with the identical firmware and hardware versions of my original card?

Can I clone the hard drive that runs my system, and put the clone in the new HTPC? By the way I bought a Windows 7 disk when I built the original HTPC so I am assuming as far as Microsoft is concerned this would be legal for me to do from a licensing standpoint.

Can a Media Center extender be used with more than one Media Center HTPC? I would like to have one HTPC with a very limited channel guide for children and one for the adults.

Please, let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Lee

#2,043 ·
Answers inline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992lee /forum/post/21720428

Eric,

I am pleased to say that my family has been running our PCIe Infinitv4 with three Xbox extenders, and we are very pleased with its performance. We are on Comcast cable, and it has been smooth sailing after we made a few adjustments on our HTPC

and network. Our current setup is on lockdown, and I am not doing any updates or changes to the computer or Xboxes. I would like to add another PCIe Infinitv4 card which leads me to a line of questioning that I would like for you to consider.

I'm glad to hear that you like your InfiniTV
Quote:

I want to build another HTPC using identical components to the current HTPC that is running so smoothly. Here are my questions:

Can I get an Infinitv4 card with the identical firmware and hardware versions of my original card?

Unfortunately, we aren't in a position that we can guarantee a certain version of InfiniTV software, as we are constantly improving things
Quote:

Can I clone the hard drive that runs my system, and put the clone in the new HTPC? By the way I bought a Windows 7 disk when I built the original HTPC so I am assuming as far as Microsoft is concerned this would be legal for me to do from a licensing standpoint.

I can't speak to the legality, other than you would need two Windows licenses, and also if they are OEM licenses, they are tied to the original PC.

From the technical side, PlayReady DRM doesn't like being cloned and you may run into issues.
Quote:

Can a Media Center extender be used with more than one Media Center HTPC? I would like to have one HTPC with a very limited channel guide for children and one for the adults.

Not without re-pairing it with each host PC every time you want to use it.

#2,044 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 /forum/post/21720407

How do you disable chimes? Do you mean going into "Sound" from Control Panel and disabling all the Windows sounds?

It was a week ago, so don't hold me to this, but I believe I went into WMS/Settings/General/Visual and Sound effects and disabled the "Play sounds when navigating...."etc. I am pretty sure that I also did what you stated to disable that little musical lyric upon WMS startup. There is a box that you can remove the check mark for the startup sound.

#2,046 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp /forum/post/21720625

It was a week ago, so don't hold me to this, but I believe I went into WMS/Settings/General/Visual and Sound effects and disabled the "Play sounds when navigating...."etc. I am pretty sure that I also did what you stated to disable that little musical lyric upon WMS startup. There is a box that you can remove the check mark for the startup sound.

Thanks, that did work.

#2,048 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdavinci /forum/post/21720338

I know I posted issues before but now have nothing but praises! The card, since I've upgraded the hardware and rebuild the OS, has not missed a recording yet. I still find myself checking the recording history just in case but it keeps on saying "Recorded". Very Nice!

Hopefully these are the last questions I have:

- Is anyone else using WD Green drives (5400rpm) for their recordings? Sometimes I think that is my bottle neck when streaming, recording more than 2 shows. I think I know I need to get a better drive but just wanted someone else's opinion...

- are there no ratings to be found in the guide at all? (like PG, R, etc) I just found that very odd...

- I'm thinking of getting a 2nd card to dedicate tuners to other PCs. has anyone got this working succesfully? In other words, was it fine when you had 1 card but started acting up when having 2?

I have 4 of those hard drive in a RAID 5 array inside my media center and record TV to a folder on the array. No issues.

#2,049 ·
Those of you not having re-boot or USB diconnect issues on the USB version: What setting are you using in WMS: Optimization Scheduled: enabled or not? Auto Download Options: Enabled or not?

#2,050 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdavinci /forum/post/0

I use 3 of them in a RAID5 array, but I don't record directly to them. I record to my OS drive (normal SATA HDD) and then transfer the recordings to the array. I also only ever have one machine/extender pulling from it at a time, so I can't really comment on a bottleneck where that's concerned. That being said, I have never had any streaming or playback issues in the 2-ish years I've had this array up and running.

#2,051 ·
Well I finally have my completed set-up done. I had installed it at my temporary living space until we bought our new house and did a self install. When we moved it was to a different Time Warner area so I had to turn everything in and they came out to install it. I'll save you the gory details but it took four trips by techs and almost a week to get it working. They just didn't have a clue what they were doing. It went a lot better when I finally convinced them an S-Card was not going to work!!! I had some headache getting my Xbox to reconnect but that was my issue, the HTPC kept kicking the network connection, restart solved the problem.

But I have the HTPC up and running connected to my surround sound hooked up to my new 55ST30 TV. Xbox running like a champ in the bedroom. The Harmony One is all set-up and works great other than I need to figure out to get it to not control the power to the HTPC when I hit all off. I am one happy camper and am loving the $40 a month savings on the DVR's, not to mention the better interface.

PCIe version BTW.

#2,052 ·
ugh, so i just setup an account here for the sole purpose of complaining/trying to fix this card. i bought it from newegg last week and have the most up to date HW and FW, but my card just constantly crashes, usually every 2 hours or so. Sometimes after a crash it will just pop right back up and be fine after a few minutes and I can continue watching TV, other times I will have to go through the setup process again in WMC. Other times it will even then pop up and act as if a new cable card has been detected. By crash I mean I will be watching tv and then it will all of a sudden say something like No Tuners Available or some sort of conflict. Then if you check the Uptime in WMC you will see that it had just reset itself.

I sent a diagnostic to Ceton who told me they are aware of the issue and that they don't need any more diagnostic info from me. I've only had this card for a few days, but the amount of errors and problems it has given me is ridiculous. Has anyone who has had constant crashes like this found any sort of fix? The card is basically completely useless to me right now in it's current form.

Fortunately, Newegg has a 30 day return policy so I just ordered the HDHR Prime as well so that I can use them and do side by side comparisons. It should hopefully be here Monday and I will post some updates then. I'll probably also swing by Verizon and try getting a new CableCard in case I somehow have a faulty one. I also went ahead and ordered a low-pass filter, even tho I was told it wasn't necessary anymore, figured I'd try anything to solve what could be causing this.

Anyways, that's it for this rant. Hopefully Ceton will come out with some fix soon so I don't have to return it back to Newegg before my 30 days are up as I'd really love to get this working smoothly.

Sorry for the wall of text, but man this thing has frustrated me like no other piece of electronics has ever been able to, lol.

#2,053 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysidestreet /forum/post/21726876

ugh, so i just setup an account here for the sole purpose of complaining/trying to fix this card. i bought it from newegg last week and have the most up to date HW and FW, but my card just constantly crashes, usually every 2 hours or so. Sometimes after a crash it will just pop right back up and be fine after a few minutes and I can continue watching TV, other times I will have to go through the setup process again in WMC. Other times it will even then pop up and act as if a new cable card has been detected. By crash I mean I will be watching tv and then it will all of a sudden say something like No Tuners Available or some sort of conflict. Then if you check the Uptime in WMC you will see that it had just reset itself.

I sent a diagnostic to Ceton who told me they are aware of the issue and that they don't need any more diagnostic info from me. I've only had this card for a few days, but the amount of errors and problems it has given me is ridiculous. Has anyone who has had constant crashes like this found any sort of fix? The card is basically completely useless to me right now in it's current form.

Fortunately, Newegg has a 30 day return policy so I just ordered the HDHR Prime as well so that I can use them and do side by side comparisons. It should hopefully be here Monday and I will post some updates then. I'll probably also swing by Verizon and try getting a new CableCard in case I somehow have a faulty one. I also went ahead and ordered a low-pass filter, even tho I was told it wasn't necessary anymore, figured I'd try anything to solve what could be causing this.

Anyways, that's it for this rant. Hopefully Ceton will come out with some fix soon so I don't have to return it back to Newegg before my 30 days are up as I'd really love to get this working smoothly.

Sorry for the wall of text, but man this thing has frustrated me like no other piece of electronics has ever been able to, lol.

You should read all posts on this thread and see what others have done. Here are some pieces: Go to your Ceton diagnostics in the WMS, look at your temps on all four tuners, look at your signal strength and s/n on all 4 tuners, disconnect your chimes, tones in WMS and Win7. I got mine to work, though I have a USB version, some of the above may be common to both. Do a reboot, do a reinstall also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.