AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 806 participants last post by  SailorVenus 
#1 ·

Ok here are some snapshot pictures of my 70" ELITE! Sorry for the wait everyone please enjoy, I'll take more later but it's been a very long weekend for me. OH and for those of you still wondering, YES this ELITE is the Real thing! I was totally blow away with the picture quality and deep blacks! When I have more time I"ll write a review, but for now enjoy some quick snapshots.

See less See more
#7,921 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvin /forum/post/21859738

I am considering purchasing one of these TVs. In the brief look I have taken at this thread, I have seen the following issues enumerated:
  • Cyan color bug
  • Backlight pulsing in certain situations

I see that Sharp released a new firmware revision last week to address the backlight issue. Is that now resolved?

Are there other issues?

Thanks for your help.

After reading most of the thousands of posts on the Elite, I inferred that the vast majority of the ACTUAL OWNERS are happy with picture quality. I joined that vast majority a couple of weeks ago. Come on in; the water's fine.

#7,923 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy /forum/post/21860027

Was it cyan to be pulsed ?

I so wanted to post this yesterday for April Fools, but based on past experience in this thread some people can't take a joke so I didn't, but it was along this line:

-new firmware update available:

--fixes the cyan issue, but only fixes it if you can see it

--enhanced flicker/pulsing for when viewing the yule tide log channel

--return/exchange counter added

--Kuro mode added to allow direct Kuro/Elite comparison with the press of a single button

--Avsforum web app added; owner's forum thread only viewable by owners

#7,925 ·
Hey guys,

Was doing some measuring tonight in prep of wall mount a week from Wednesday and my audio/video cabinet with center channel speaker is about 34 inches high from floor to top of my center (my center is fairly large at about 11.5 inches in height). I will go with about two inches above my center on the wall and that will put the display bottom at about 36 inches from floor to bezel.

Those who have wall mounted does this sound about average? I hope it won't seem too high and I will be sitting fairly close as I have a fairly small room and will be maybe 9 to 10 feet back. Is this a fair distance to try 3D? I went and ordered a 3D compatible player tonight as I will want to try it..

Thanks

Rick

#7,926 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frottage /forum/post/21859922

I returned my Elite...to the on position when I got home today. I'm sure I'm in the majority

This post is a good reason why AVS could use a "Like" button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in SF /forum/post/21860246

Rogo,

Thanx for your input and insight. I think you have gone as far as you can to give us a clue how you came about your opinions. As a former military officer with TS & BS clearances, I do not want you to tell me your sources and then have to kill me.

Richard

I have taken a vow of forum non-violence.

Oh, and for everyone with kind words, thanks.

#7,927 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know you can add me to the list of people who have never had a pulsing issue in thx mode (if its there I have never seen it and am very very aware of it in other modes) and have only noticed the color issue on those same darn blocks as ken, cause he pointed it out. 100% Happy with my 70X5FD!

#7,931 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross /forum/post/21861780

I suppose you could stand on your head.

I'll take that as a no...

Looks like I might have to invest in some other 3D content - I just got this demo disc for free and wanted to check out the 3D before having to go out and buy some 3D movies (I'm leaning towards not - 3D has always seemed gimmicky to me.)

#7,932 ·
Derek,

There are multiple 3D formats. That disc may be in an old or incompatible format. While looking at the screen without glasses, my cable provider gives me side by side and one pic on top of the other. BluRays show as "fuzzy" w.o. glasses.

Get another test disc. The Elite shows a great 3D image; however broadcast is not as good as disc.

#7,933 ·
My 70 inch elite is perfect as well. Chad B calibrated it and it's gorgeous. So happy I bought when I did and have enjoyed it since September I think.

I never post. I love my elite and do not care what other people think about it. And I bet there are plenty of people like me that are very happy and never post.

#7,934 ·
Rick,

I don't know my exact measurements but I use a Salamander Synergy audio/video rack (three 'squares' next to one another) with an M&K S150 center channel which is something like 12" high. My 60" Elite is mounted about an inch above the center channel and I very much like the height - although I don't think I'd go any higher. Also, I sit eight feet back from the display and find it absolutely perfect. Hope this helps!

#7,935 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Rex /forum/post/21863027

My 70 inch elite is perfect as well. Chad B calibrated it and it's gorgeous.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included a link to it in the flat panel (post #2) list that's linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

Enjoy.

#7,939 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in SF /forum/post/21862458

Derek,

There are multiple 3D formats. That disc may be in an old or incompatible format. While looking at the screen without glasses, my cable provider gives me side by side and one pic on top of the other. BluRays show as "fuzzy" w.o. glasses.

Get another test disc. The Elite shows a great 3D image; however broadcast is not as good as disc.

Richard,

I know the clips on the disc which are just some movie trailers, that were formatted as side-by-side and I need to set the TV itself to side-by-side 3D to get it to try and combine the frames, however it was put together as a 3D test disc some time ago, so it's probable that it isn't in the standard layout expected (as my viewing seems to indicate.)

Do you have any recommendations on other test discs, or even movies to try out? I've seen more heavily encoded 3D sources on other TVs and it seems to mess with the 3D effect, so I can see how broadcast would be bad for that - I'd like to get Blu-ray sources if possible.

#7,940 ·
I promised to report back on pulsing and it's definitely still there for me. It is reduced - I would say by maybe 50-60%, so it's still a very welcome improvement. And yes, this is in thx mode with local dimming on. IVC low seems to do away with most of the rest of the pulsing, but it really is too bright the way I have it now.

I would still buy the set with no hesitation, but it is inaccurate to say that the pulsing has been solved. It has, however, been greatly reduced with this last FW update.