AVS Forum banner

Show me your Star Ceiling

29K views 82 replies 27 participants last post by  SteveCallas 
#1 ·
Surprised not to see a thread already dedicated to this already but I think this will give future theater builders a great resource since these typically tend to get buried in build threads.

Please post pics, information and of course if you have a painted star ceiling who painted it or if DIY what materials you used.

Example Info Below

Star Ceiling Size – 10' x 16'

Star design - Summer Night East Coadt purchased from blahblahblah.com

Illuminator – FOSI LED Illuminator

Dimmable – Yes by Graphik Eye

Wired – Hardwired

Fiber Optic Cable Sizes – 550 .75 strands, 75 1.0 strands, 25 1.5 strands

Cable Manufacturer – Mitsubishi Eska

Structure – ¾” MDF

Finish – Black FR701 GOM

Secure Method – Aluminum Z channel

Opinion – Stars are no bright enough

See less See more
#2 ·
Not everyone at once now

#3 ·
Hey Larry. Thought I would beat the mad rush of comments and throw a couple of things out here.

First, the FOSI illuminator uses all 1.0mm fibers. They achieve various brightness intensities through filters for some of the fibers thereby creating a more realistic look. To my knowledge, this is the only company that does this. The stars are also plenty bright IMHO - I would actually prefer that they be dimmed a bit, especially during a movie. They also offer options of up to two shooting stars and two comets that will run off the same illuminator, which is convenient for installation purposes.

Another nice thing that FOSI does with their illuminators is offer two power inputs - a dedicated 120v input to drive the illuminator motor and a separate 120v input dedicated to the bulb. This way the bulb can be dimmed without affecting the motor.

It is also important to note that the standard illuminator is a Halogen bulb. However, you can pay a small fee and upgrade to an LED bulb and another small fee to have that bulb dimmable.

FOSI uses a fabric called "Prelude Eclipse" on their pre-made panels. This fabric is available through FOSI or directly through the United States distributor, Lockfast ( www.lockfast.com ). The fabric is much more dense than the GOM FR701, is blacker and still allows for the fiber to easily pass through. I have a sample of the material and it is used extensively in display cases for jewelry stores, exhibitions, etc.

The extrusion is custom-made and is a bit expensive if I recall correctly (say around $9ish per linear foot). However, it makes hanging everything securely extremely easy. I am going to see if I can modify some Unistrut profiles to work in the same fashion - I'll keep you posted.

They also have highly accurate star templates to get the most realistic "Milky Way" look. The templates are available on 4x8 sheets and are a bit pricey, but worth every penny to get the realism.

And when the optical fiber is cut, they recommend a special hot knife tool that leaves approximately 1/8" of fiber protruding beyond the black fabric to get the appropriate shine. Not only does the device cut the fiber very easily, but also slightly "mushrooms" the head so it cannot slip back through the MDF....saving time NOT having to hot-glue the fibers into every single hole.

Hopefully this will spurn some further comments and sharing! And my pictures will be forthcoming.....

#4 ·
Star Ceiling Size – 10' x 20'

Star design - September night sky template

Illuminator – FOSI LED Illuminator

Dimmable – Yes

Wired – Motor is controlled by occupancy sensor - LED is controlled by Grafik Eye.

Fiber Optic Cable Sizes – about 800-900 1mm fibers - 3 shooting stars included

Cable Manufacturer – Mitsubishi

Structure – ¾” MDF panels

Finish – Black FR701 GOM

Secure Method – 3" spax screws around perimeter. See build thread for details on how attached

Opinion – Despite some setbacks on installation it turned out incredible - couldn't be happier and everyone that has seen it thinks it looks great.

Reactions: Jk7.2
#5 ·
I originally painted my star ceiling using a stencil I bought from Ursa Major. I ordered the paint from Jeff at NightSkyMurals. After receiving some tips from him, I decided to give it a go. The mural worked well, and looked amazing. Jeff came and finished it off with like a BILLION more stars and the Milky Way, not to mention a shooting star and crescent moon.

Here are a couple photos taken after Jeff from NightSkyMurals came and touched up my night sky mural...

This is a great shot of the ceiling with the lights on showing off my cloudy sky mural...

This was taken with my camera with the black lights on...

Here is a shot using Jeff's camera, we tried really hard to capture the Milky Way that he painted... I've noticed camera's really don't capture what the eye can see...

Keep in mind, turning on the black lights and charging the stars in a fully pitch dark room is ideal for taking pictures of the mural. These photo's were taken while the sun was still out, quite a bit of ambient light was peaking through the blinds and cracks in the doors.

This image (same image as above) has been Photoshop'd. But this is a better idea of what is seen by the naked eye after the paint has been charged, and viewed in the dark (your eyes adjusted to no light). Using Photoshop, I adjusted the contrast to bring out more of what is actually seen. Keep in mind that contrast has been adjusted so more light (in the picture) is viewable. The camera can pick up the Milky Way, but for some reason doesn't expose it correctly. Have a look...

As you can see, the stars seem a bit too big and bright, this is due to Photoshop. In person, the stars are smaller and not as blurry.

In my opinion, NightSkyMurals' glow-in-the-dark night sky murals best portrays the night sky. I have seen the most spectacular night sky on Navy ships out to sea. Now thanks to Jeff... I have it in my theater room, ready for viewing pleasure. You really have to see it to believe it.

#6 ·
Thanks Xzener...

Ine question... does it really look like the "Photoshopped" picture when it's fully charged? If so, then I need to make a trip back out there and do it over again. :)

I would say (and correct me if I am wrong) that it looks like possibly a combination of the first dark pic that you showed that I took with my camera with the Milky Way from your photoshopped picture. Close?

You did explain it, but I just want to make sure that people understand that the stars aren't so bright and there are many variations of star sizes.

And, by the way... xzener did a great job on his Do-It-Yourself mural. It looked great. I just added a few extra things in so that I could get a great dinner... and I mean GREAT DINNER!!! Oh. My. Gosh!!! My taste buds were in heaven! Plus, I got instructions in how to do the clouds (which I am still not up to doing for people) and I met a great family. So, I won that round!

Thanks again. I'll see if I can find some pictures to post. :)

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener /forum/post/21995810

As you can see, the stars seem a bit too big and bright, this is due to Photoshop. In person, the stars are smaller and not as blurry.

In my opinion, NightSkyMurals' glow-in-the-dark night sky murals best portrays the night sky. I have seen the most spectacular night sky on Navy ships out to sea. Now thanks to Jeff... I have it in my theater room, ready for viewing pleasure. You really have to see it to believe it.

#7 ·
First, let me say that from what I have seen on this forum and in other areas on the Internet (never have I seen one in person) the FOSI fiber optics are probably the way to go if you want to go the fiber optic route. The seem to put more thought into actually creating a good experience for people... instead of just selling fiber optics and the rest of what goes into a star ceiling.

I am anxious to see the different ceilings that have been done both with fiber optics and painted. And, if anyone would like some basic tips on how to paint a mural yourself... please ask. I will try to give as much information as I feel I can, without giving away techniques that people have paid me to learn. I think, though, that I can help a little without going into too much detail.

I would suggest that you stay away from most "Free" or low priced instructions on the Internet. Most of those places are there to sell you paint and really don't know the first thing about painting a nice night sky. OK, maybe some know the first thing, but definitely not the second thing. :)

Bring on some pics.

Jeff

#8 ·
No, if it is OK, let me add a few pictures here of some murals that I have painted around the World. I have some pictures with both the lights on and also off, to give you some perspective. For other pictures, I have just the murals in the dark. And, for those who haven't seen the thread that has been going on for a while about fiber optics and painted ceilings... you can see it at: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1260948

Here is a picture of a mural I painted in a California home theater. With the black lights on the paint fluoresces (which is good if you want to see brighter stars during a movie). With the black lights off, you will see stars for most of the movie.... but the beauty of the mural is to view it with no lights on at all. Like turning the theater room into a relaxation room also, or a mini-planetarium.

Utah Home Theater with beams in it...

Here is a section of a mural showing the Orion constellation

I can't remember where this star ceiling was painted... but I think I caught the tail end of the lights being turned out (from the look of the soffit). Hey, I'm learning. :)

This is a theater room ceiling in Texas...

Now this Amarillo, TX game room ceiling was crazy. Not only was it long and wide, but... it was 22 feet up, I had a 15 foot ladder, and at the top (the ceiling slanted) luckily there was a beam to hold onto... but it was scary up there. Obviously in the light.

Here's he same Amarillo ceiling with the lights out... (If you look closely, you can see the beams)

This is an indoor swimming pool (I know... Duh, right?) in Las Vegas...

Same swimming pool in the dark (pic was enhanced)

Painting that indoor swimming pool... (My wet shorts in this picture are about how my shorts looked after painting the Amarillo ceiling above)

Theater ceiling in Montreal, Canada...

A Florida ceiling, right after the black lights were turned out, and the shutter left open just a little too long.

This last one is of a round skylight mural that I painted for a lady in London. It's on canvas and 4 feet in diameter.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG /forum/post/21995654

Hey Larry. Thought I would beat the mad rush of comments and throw a couple of things out here.

Congrats on beating the rush...You must have knocked over a few old ladies getting your post in

Great information in your post. I'm leaning toward the FOSI illuminator after your recommendation and StockMonkey

I have a sample of GOM 701 but I'll try to get a sample from Lockfast

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 /forum/post/21995692

Star Ceiling Size - 10' x 20'

Star design - September night sky template

Illuminator - FOSI LED Illuminator

Dimmable - Yes

Wired - Motor is controlled by occupancy sensor - LED is controlled by Grafik Eye.

Fiber Optic Cable Sizes - about 800-900 1mm fibers - 3 shooting stars included

Cable Manufacturer - Mitsubishi

Structure - ¾ MDF panels

Finish - Black FR701 GOM

Secure Method - 3" spax screws around perimeter. See build thread for details on how attached

Opinion - Despite some setbacks on installation it turned out incredible - couldn't be happier and everyone that has seen it thinks it looks great.

Thanks Stock! I know messaging you motivated me to get this thread going from all the questions I had for you.

I believe you also had an issue with Joann Fabric and variances in their blacks so a recommendation for anyone reading this thread is stay away from Joanns

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M /forum/post/22001711

Congrats on beating the rush...You must have knocked over a few old ladies getting your post in

Great information in your post. I'm leaning toward the FOSI illuminator after your recommendation and StockMonkey

I have a sample of GOM 701 but I'll try to get a sample from Lockfast

My recommendation is based off of StockMonkey's to be perfectly honest....plus a ton of research I did on my own looking at all of the different products / solutions and the pros/cons of each. I just kept coming back to the FOSI product for a variety of reasons I previously described.

I have not built my star ceiling yet, but I will certainly post pics of the final result here as well as construction pics in my build thread....when I actually start my build thread. Travel for me has been brutal the last 2-3 months to say the least.

#12 ·
HT completion is coming down the home stretch, but here's my star field ceiling with freshly installed LED effect lighting.

Star Ceiling Size - 10' x 15'

Star design - Summer Night East Coast by FOSI

Dimmable - Yes by Graphik Eye

Wired - Hardwired

Pre-Made - FOSI Pre-Installed Panels (4)

Stars - 741 total (523 Milky Way dimmed, 218 Constellation with larger strands, twinkle)

Structure - ¾ MDF with black fabric

Secure Method - Screwed with 3/4" backing blocks through double-drywall install clip held channels - Screw head hidden behind fabric

Opinion - Very pleased

Here are some quick shots in both red and blue. The locations of the shots are in the same order (entering the room, back right corner, right side, front right corner).

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M /forum/post/22001731

Thanks Stock! I know messaging you motivated me to get this thread going from all the questions I had for you.

I believe you also had an issue with Joann Fabric and variances in their blacks so a recommendation for anyone reading this thread is stay away from Joanns

In particular the stretch velvet from Joann. It only comes in 8 yard bolts and each bolt is a bit different.

#14 ·
Here's a shot of mine. Im not qute finished yet. There's still one more panel to put up. But Im very happy with the results so far.

Star Ceiling Size – 7'6" x 16'4"

Star design - DIY - CAD files are available in my build thread

Illuminator – 2 x CoolSky LED, one for milky way, one for other stars.

Dimmable – Yes

Wired – Switched outlet on Grafik Eye

Fiber Optic Cable Sizes approx 850 .50 mm ,180 .75mm, 120 1.0mm strands

Cable Manufacturer – purchased from The Fiber Optics Store

Structure – ¾” MDF

Finish – Black FR701 GOM

Secure Method – screws around perimeter, finishing nails into backing blocks in the center of the panels. biscuits in panel edges, similar to stockmonkey's

Opinion – Stars too bright. Can be distracting if not dimmed. Many of the coolsky twinkle settings do not look natural- only a couple are practical.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTopDown /forum/post/22001849

HT completion is coming down the home stretch, but here's my star field ceiling with freshly installed LED effect lighting.

Star Ceiling Size - 10' x 15'

Star design - Summer Night East Coast by FOSI

Dimmable - Yes by Graphik Eye

Wired - Hardwired

Pre-Made - FOSI Pre-Installed Panels (4)

Stars - 741 total (523 Milky Way dimmed, 218 Constellation with larger strands, twinkle)

Structure - ¾ MDF with black fabric

Secure Method - Screwed with 3/4" backing blocks through double-drywall install clip held channels - Screw head hidden behind fabric

Opinion - Very pleased

RedTopDown,

Fosi did an incredible job on your ceiling. The burst of smaller stars (believe it is the Milky Way) are those stars the same fiber optic cable size as the others?

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M /forum/post/0

RedTopDown,

Fosi did an incredible job on your ceiling. The burst of smaller stars (believe it is the Milky Way) are those stars the same fiber optic cable size as the others?

Thanks! The MW stars use a fiber that's about half the size of the constellation stars. Only the constellation stars twinkle.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener /forum/post/21995810

I originally painted my star ceiling using a stencil I bought from Ursa Major.

Xzener

How do you feel about the stencil from Ursa Major? I was thinking about getting one and using it to guide me while I make my fiber optic ceiling. Did it have the Milky Way on it? Do you have any pics of the stencil?

You mentioned that NightSkyMurals added a bunch of stars, do you feel the stencil you got didn't have enough stars?

#18 ·
Hi Larry...

I'll let xzener tell you about his mural... but I can tell you about the Ursa Major stencil. They are very basic, at best... but I think that they are better than any other stencil on the Internet, as of right now.

If you want to use it as a guide for fiber optics, it might just work. I'm guessing that they have about 300 stars (maybe xzener can help out with that count)... which is right around what fiber optic kits usually use.

Not a bad idea to use it.

One quick note about xzener's mural and whether Ursa Major offers enough stars.... Again, they may have around 300 in a 10 x 10 stencil. I think i added another thousand or two. Again... I'll let him answer that. I was thinking more about the Ribeye I could smell on the BBQ while I was painting. :)

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M /forum/post/22044783

Xzener

How do you feel about the stencil from Ursa Major? I was thinking about getting one and using it to guide me while I make my fiber optic ceiling. Did it have the Milky Way on it? Do you have any pics of the stencil?

You mentioned that NightSkyMurals added a bunch of stars, do you feel the stencil you got didn't have enough stars?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M /forum/post/22044783

Xzener

Hi Larry M,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Been busy beta testing Media Browser "Atlas"... its been taking up most of my home life ATM.

The stencil from Ursa Major was decent quality. I bought the 12X12 stencil and had to trim it down to fit my ceiling. That took out a few stars, but the end result was still very nice. The most difficult part of the stencil is affixing it to the ceiling. The kit comes with a sticky block from which you take a small piece, roll it in your fingers to create a pea sized ball, and sticking it along the edge of the paper on the ceiling. After that... the wife and I quickly painted the stars. The only thing I MUST recommend is buying the paint from Jeff at NightSkyMurals. The paint that comes with the kit is much yellower than I expected. The kit basically has the constellations only.

#21 ·
Hey Xzener...

I think the was talking about using the Ursa Major stencil as a guide for poking holes for his fiber optics, not a DIY mural.

I think it would be OK, basic but OK... but possibly a good fit depending on how many fibers you were wanting to put in. I don't think there are more than 300 holes in the entire stencil... so if that sounds right, that may be a good fit.

I am still working on my stencils, but don't think they would be a good fit for fiber optics (too many holes).. but Ursa Major ones might not be bad. Xzener? What do you think?

Now hang on a second.... is there a need for a guide for placing the holes for fiber optics? I could even do something like that... and not worry about having the holes drilled (which is what is taking the most time with my other ones)

Let me know if there is a need for this and I could lay out a nice pattern for you guys.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener /forum/post/22070844

Hi Larry M,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Been busy beta testing Media Browser "Atlas"... its been taking up most of my home life ATM.

The stencil from Ursa Major was decent quality. I bought the 12X12 stencil and had to trim it down to fit my ceiling. That took out a few stars, but the end result was still very nice. The most difficult part of the stencil is affixing it to the ceiling. The kit comes with a sticky block from which you take a small piece, roll it in your fingers to create a pea sized ball, and sticking it along the edge of the paper on the ceiling. After that... the wife and I quickly painted the stars. The only thing I MUST recommend is buying the paint from Jeff at NightSkyMurals. The paint that comes with the kit is much yellower than I expected. The kit basically has the constellations only.

#22 ·
I did see your post about the article. Why don't you email me the details and I will post them on my website (with more pictures) and then link the article to it when it comes out. That's awesome!!! I can't wait to read about it.

I was going to write and ask if you minded I use your pictures, but figured you would't. Glad you liked seeing them.

There is still so much to add to the website, but it's happening slowly.

Still trying to get back out to Cal. Hopefully this week... but who knows?

Congrats again on the article! Let me know about it.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener /forum/post/22070854

Jeff,

Just looked at your website. Love the new layout... And thanks for adding my mural!! I feel famous now.
Did I tell you my Theater Room is being featured on a Home Theater Blog in June??

Take care,

Xzener

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals /forum/post/22075062

Hey Xzener...

I think the was talking about using the Ursa Major stencil as a guide for poking holes for his fiber optics, not a DIY mural.

I think it would be OK, basic but OK... but possibly a good fit depending on how many fibers you were wanting to put in. I don't think there are more than 300 holes in the entire stencil... so if that sounds right, that may be a good fit.

I am still working on my stencils, but don't think they would be a good fit for fiber optics (too many holes).. but Ursa Major ones might not be bad. Xzener? What do you think?

Now hang on a second.... is there a need for a guide for placing the holes for fiber optics? I could even do something like that... and not worry about having the holes drilled (which is what is taking the most time with my other ones)

Let me know if there is a need for this and I could lay out a nice pattern for you guys.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

I think a stancil for fiber optic people would be great. I believe Fosi offers it, just not sure how much.

#24 ·
I'll see what they have available. If its as good or better than the Ursa Major stencil, I'll give me $.02 worth. If I think there can be an improvement.... then maybe I'll think about coming up with something. But, fiber optics and painted stars are different creatures, so I'll have to see what sizes the FO come in to be able to lay something out. I'll look into it when I can find a minute.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M /forum/post/0

I think a stancil for fiber optic people would be great. I believe Fosi offers it, just not sure how much.

#25 ·
Hey guys,

I think we're kind of getting off the subject here.

Jeff, I think an unholy (No pun) stencil is a good idea for fiber optics. Being able to affix a stencil to a ceiling and just go to town with a drill would speed things along for many DIYers. Not to mention inspire people who think they aren't capable of creating a really nice star mural. The stencil I got helped me overcome my fear of messing up my ceiling... But knowing that Jeff from NightSkyMurals created a stencil, you know your ceiling is going to look amazing. So yes Jeff... I think an unholy stencil would create a buzz and help your business grow.

KEEP THE PICTURES COMING, THEY LOOK GREAT!!

#26 ·
CAD files of my layout are available in my build thread. I just used my projector and traced out the pattern with a marker, then drilled. Anyone could use the same method to make a layout of any size. Its a lot easier than a stencil IMHO, at least if your drilling holes for fiber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.