AVS Forum banner

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)

1M views 37K replies 244 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

*edit*

Watch as many horror movies you can take in 31 days.

Thirty-one total.  One a day.  Thirteen.  Twenty-two.  Six?

As many as you want, just have fun.

Every night (or day) in October! It's tough, but can it be done? I tried last year but ended up having to go away for business and it buggered up my schedule.

Half of the fun was creating the spreadsheet of movies/format/date.

Who's in with me?

See less See more
#6,861 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840#post_23795441

A few months ago I did all the AVP and Predator flicks. All but the original Predator flics get pissed on because Alien 1 and 2 are soo good. Cream of the crop, top o' the hill. A numero uno.

Enough time has passed I can enjoy these on their own individual merits and all make, at least, a yearly appearance in my HT ALONG WITH Alien and Aliens.

That is what I think about the 'rest of the films' after Alien/s and Predator. I can actually watch Alien3 without having that 'bag over the head' feeling that I remember so much watching it for the first time in 1992.

#6,864 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840_60#post_23795441

A few months ago I did all the AVP and Predator flicks. All but the original Predator flics get pissed on because Alien 1 and 2 are soo good. Cream of the crop, top o' the hill. A numero uno.

Enough time has passed I can enjoy these on their own individual merits and all make, at least, a yearly appearance in my HT ALONG WITH Alien and Aliens.
+1.....excepting A3, which I'll never watch again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840_60#post_23795469

I can actually watch Alien3 without having that 'bag over the head' feeling that I remember so much watching it for the first time in 1992.
I just don't care for the plot, the writing, the cinematography, the characters.....

#6,866 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840_60#post_23795900

. I do have some marathons planned (Let The Right One In and Let Me In, an Evil Dead Marathon and a Stephen King marathon).
Nice line-up.

#6,867 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840#post_23795924

Nice line-up.

I just have to pick the Stephen King films carefully though as whilst some are amazing others are....... lets just say not so fun to watch, especially if he himself directed it (cough maximum overdrive cough).

#6,868 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840#post_23795855

+1.....excepting A3, which I'll never watch again.

I just don't care for the plot, the writing, the cinematography, the characters.....

Trust me I know how you feel! Last time I watched it on BD I watched it with the MU-TH-ER Mode on and I learned a lot about Alien3. All in all the movie was a writing disaster, directing disaster and the sad thing is, iirc James Cameron/Ridley knew that this movie was off to a shaky start and they even told Fox to let them (together) work a story out for Alien3. Well you know what decision the studio made.

#6,870 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840#post_23795939

I just have to pick the Stephen King films carefully though as whilst some are amazing others are....... lets just say not so fun to watch, especially if he himself directed it (cough maximum overdrive cough).

Don't talk shirt about Maximum Overdrive.

#6,871 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840#post_23795964

Trust me I know how you feel! Last time I watched it on BD I watched it with the MU-TH-ER Mode on and I learned a lot about Alien3. All in all the movie was a writing disaster, directing disaster and the sad thing is, iirc James Cameron/Ridley knew that this movie was off to a shaky start and they even told Fox to let them (together) work a story out for Alien3. Well you know what decision the studio made.

Passed on the "Aliens Quadrilogy" package when it was on sale months ago. Good price but I didn't want Aliens 1 & 2 bumping up against Aliens 3 & 4. You know, cooties and all that...

Meanwhile...

1). Lifeforce (1985) - Golan-Globus '80s schlock at its best. Mathilda Ray as the space vampire who turns the London populace into zombies and a younger Patrick Stewart as Dr, Armstrong. Truth be told, I appreciated the special effects much more than the overused CGI we're saddled with today. Fun trivia fact. Henry Mancini did the theme song! 3 out of 5 comet hitch-hiking Zombies.

#6,872 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6870#post_23796135

Passed on the "Aliens Quadrilogy" package when it was on sale months ago. Good price but I didn't want Aliens 1 & 2 bumping up against Aliens 3 & 4. You know, cooties and all that...

Meanwhile...

1). Lifeforce (1985) - Golan-Globus '80s schlock at its best. Mathilda Ray as the space vampire who turns the London populace into zombies and a younger Patrick Stewart as Dr, Armstrong. Truth be told, I appreciated the special effects much more than the overused CGI we're saddled with today. Fun trivia fact. Henry Mancini did the theme song! 3 out of 5 comet hitch-hiking Zombies.

Lmao!

It is worth the buy and even at the day one price. I haven't even been through all the special features. One cool thing I learned was that there was an Aliens 'ride' on Pier 39 in SF in the 90's. That one slipped under my radar!

+1 Lifeforce is a great start and has awesome effects!

#6,873 ·
Last night's "official" kick off couldn't have been better. We went a little overboard with the cocktails, but that's to be expected.
Anyway, here are #2 and #3.

2. Otis (2008)- {4/5} Blu-ray Talk about a fun movie folks! It easily fits in the top tier of the horror/comedy genre along with Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, Zombieland, etc. Normally these kinds of movies aren't really my bag (explaining the conservative 4 star rating), but this one is well done on nearly every level. Every character is unique and extremely well done and the story itself is simply awesome. We especially loved Kevin Pollack as the abusive older brother and Jere Burns as the cocky, bumbling FBI agent. This is my second time with this flick and it was even better this time around. For those who haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and add this to your list.

3. The Lords of Salem (2012)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Like others have stated, this movie is oozing with style and originality. It's obvious that RZ has continued to master his craft since the raw, but amazingly well done HOTC. We loved nearly everything about this movie. The 70's look, the mood, the atmosphere, the pacing, the story, the score......top notch. Although her range is still pretty limited, we thought that Sheri Moon did a pretty good job; while the rest of the cast was nearly perfect. The only issue that we had was the ending. It was a little bit of a letdown as we thought maybe a little more detail would have been better. Either way, this was a great watch and it'll fit in perfectly with the rest of my RZ movie collection. In fact, we've already talked about watching it again after the challenge is over.

Tonight, we're watching a repeat from last year....I Saw the Devil. My wife didn't get a chance to see it with me last time, so its a perfect choice for night 2.

#6,874 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6810#post_23793023

Apparently, there is a third movie in the works.

Jeepers Creepers 3: Cathedral (original title)

Excellent news. Keep 'em coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6810#post_23793331

October 1st:

Psycho (1960)

Frankensteins Army - 4 Zombies

4 steampunk frankenzombies.

4? Oh heck. So psyched to watch this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6810#post_23794131

Yes, the movie made a big splash here when it came out. I haven't seen it in a while and will probably watch the BD again this month. V/H/S is on NF, it's decent, too, although not a zombie movie. There's some talk about it here in this thread IIRC. Also, an early classic, I Spit On Your Grave is on NF streaming.

larry

Forgot about La Horde. Good lookin' out. It's got a little bit of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6810#post_23794343

...As this is the first I'm going to do the marathon, what is the best way to both update my list with (small) reviews and keep it current. I have made a list for the first week. what do you guys do generally, just update a particular post with all your titles? Sorry for asking such a "newb" question!

Niiice!

#6,875 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840_60#post_23796135

LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840_60#post_23796255

It is worth the buy and even at the day one price.
+1000000000

Quote:
I haven't even been through all the special features.
Neither have I....

#6,876 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6800_50#post_23794343

...As this is the first I'm going to do the marathon, what is the best way to both update my list with (small) reviews and keep it current. I have made a list for the first week. what do you guys do generally, just update a particular post with all your titles? Sorry for asking such a "newb" question!

I usually submit new posts with the movies I watch as I go. My first post of the challenge is the one that I continue to edit so that it reflects my entire list. I also add a link to my sig that people can click on to access my ongoing list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6800_50#post_23794416

I just saw that Amazon has added more horror movies to their prime movie list. Going to watch Creepers, and I think I have seen this movie long ago but I don't remember lol.

Good to hear. Considering how pathetic Blockbuster Online has become lately, I'm gonna need to use Amazon to supplement my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6850_50#post_23795847

We need Hot girls of Horror?

Agreed.

#6,878 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840#post_23795150

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064704/?ref_=sr_1

I'm probably the only one here that has seen this movie and while it's nothing special, it does have a special place in my household due to our love of the silliness which is this film. It's not scary, it's not gory, it's just lovingly odd. Can't put my finger on it but we watch it every year now so this is my shameless plug.

OK I'm in, but what am I hunting down? Girly or a hot chick zombie movie? signed -easily confused guy on drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840#post_23795900

Three days in and I have yet to see a single film, to be fair my projector is waiting for a new hdmi cable so I haven't been able to. I do have some marathons planned (Let The Right One In and Let Me In, an Evil Dead Marathon and a Stephen King marathon).

Monoprice to the rescue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/6840#post_23796056

Don't talk shirt about Maximum Overdrive.

lulz

BTW - FULCI LIVES!

#6,879 ·
Here we go. This year I planned to keep these things extra short w/ no "frills" but that's no fun. I'm out of control. BRING IT!

10/1 Trick or Treat (1986)

All trick no treat. SO much potential but this movie about a high school kid getting picked on plays like an ABC Family Channel Hallowtweenie special. The kid accidentally resurrects his favorite front man from the dead and the ghost/zombie rocker is hell-bent on causing mayhem. This movie is screaming for a proper remake with all the goodies! C-

This film contains:

Thrashin’ 80’s metal: \m/ YES!

Ruthless bullies: check

Resurrected rock God ready to cause destruction: Oh yeah!

Sex & boobs: Lil’ bit

Blood, death and dismemberment: NO. ZERO, ZILCH, ZIPPO…..HUH?!?!?!

10/1 Horror Hospital (1973)

This is one of those bad but good 70’s flicks that would be a most excellent feature at a crowded midnight showing. We’re treated to a couple of crazy kills right off the bat and then a bit of a lull until we get to the actual hospital. After that we’re hit with all those 70’s horror clichés like camera zooms, wacky unfitting music, sloppy super red gore and ending that leaves you questioning the writer’s sanity and your own. If you like old school trash this is kinda fun! B-

This film contains:

Decapitations Spy Hunter Style: Worth every quarter

British Boobs: Soapy

Diarrhea stains on main character’s pants: WTF?! (the F stands for fudge) uhhh wardrobe, hello!

A midget: duh

10/2 Drive in Massacre (1977)

Some maniac is slicing and dicing sex crazed movie goers at the Drive in and two goofy cops are on the manhunt with the same success rate as most drive ins had since the 80’s video boom. Another trashy 70’s gem that’s only good if you’re into low budgets, bad dialogue and actors that look like your neighbor Ted. I liked it, in a weird way. C+

This film contains:

Decapitations: Hattori Hanzo would be proud

Red Herring: A school of ‘em

Short running time:74 minutes

10/3 Microwave Massacre (1983)

Donald is unhappily married and hungry. All the poor guy wants is a “man’s” meal but all his annoying wife cooks up are these fancy schmancy dinners in their new Major Electric X1-74A microwave. The relationship doesn’t end well for these two and Don develops an insatiable taste for the other white meat. Totally trashy yet cute. C+

This film contains:

Big Ass Microwave

Boom Mic

Bodacious Boobs

Bad Recipe

10/4 Zombie Island Massacre (1984)

I had no idea Troma was responsible for this movie until the opening credits so obviously I expected the utmost quality. Man was I right! This stinker was horribly bad but oh so good. Perfect for a MST3K/Rifftrax ripping. I was laughing so loud almost woke the wife. It’s basically Romero’s NOTLD masterpiece but takes place in the Caribbean. But there’s no zombies. And it’s nothing like it. C+

This film contains:

Strong lead Black Male

Dumb white people

Zombies (???)

Booty traps

Boobs: BIG'UNS

Twist

10/5 NJ ZOMBIE WALK No movie

10/6 Zombie High (1987)

Virginia Madsen goes to an exclusive prep school where the students just ain’t acting right and her friends are starting to fit right in. Not the “walker” zombies I was expecting but an ok watch nonetheless. 80’s cheese. C+

This film contains:

horse neighing after the 4 minute mark (no horse in movie)

Shoulder pads

CHIMES!

Exciting car chase with a Ford Merkur (remember those?!)

10/7 Monstroid aka Monster (1980)

Columbia’s version of Godzilla and God was this bad. US cement factory poisons lake and kills fish. Columbians mad. People are dead. Humongous (20ft?) monster shows up. Boom goes the dynamite. D+

This film does NOT contain:

Sofia Vergara

Anything to keep you awake

Action

A budget

10/8 NO MOVIE

The Devil Doll
(1936)

Stingy Mr.Potter cross dressing and chewing the scenery for over an hour! Cool sfx for 1936. B-

Freaks (1932)

No arms? No legs? No height? No problem. REVENGE! Always gooble gobbly good. A

The Body Shop aka Doctor Gore (1973)

When hi tech medical procedures are performed using aluminum foil and duct tape you know it’s gonna be a treat. The crazy hunchback assistant (Zach Galifinakis?) stole the show. Fine 70’s women too. Good trash. B

Eden Lake (2008)

FASSBENDER! This revenge tale runs into a few of those “what are the chances?” situations but the performances and direction made this very enjoyable. It also helped that I hate 99.8% of young teens. Glad I finally checked this out. B+

Hell of the Living Dead
(1980)

Basically just a ripoff of Fulci’s Zombi and Dawn of the Dead with bad dubbing and gibroni version of Fabio Frizzi’s fantastic score. It does have an eyeball gag at the end though (bonus point awarded). C

Prey (2010)

So the French super cutie from The Artist is in this? Yay! Excitement ensues. She’s in it for maybe ten minutes. *sad trombone* Man vs. Nature vs. Man. These pigs are like great white sharks on land! Dafuq? Not bad, not great. C

Three on a Meathook
(1973)

Started off nicely in 5th gear with some bedroom action, skinny dipping, broken down car and then death. Unfortunately it spiraled out of control into a boring psycho character study and lost all its gas. This is the Yugo of low budget 70’s horror. D+

Visiting Hours (1982)

Thanks to Brian Conrad for bumping this up my NF queue. Michael Ironside plays one of the baddest slashers of all time. Yeah I said it. Dude is just so smooth! At 3AM this had me on the edge of my seat. The exceptionally tight hospital security provided comic relief. Solid B

The Collection (2012)

Gnarliest club scene since Blade? Hell yeah! I Didn’t expect this to be as good as The Collector and it wasn’t. Not too bad though. Collector got the booty traps that make Jigsaw jealous. C+

The Last House on the Left (2009)

I had no idea what to expect here but see it getting props frequently around these here parts. Darned near perfect it was. The rape scene was a little long for my taste. I usually enjoy them more when it’s under 5 minutes (*gasp*). Perfectly cast, pacing was on point and the makeup/efx had me believing. I was actually shouting at the TV and rooting for the family. This was much better than the original but not a hard feat to accomplish against a pure exploitation flick. Grade A beef.

The Baby (1973)

Something about a grown ass man playing a toddler made me cringe the entire movie. Musta been a good thing because I quite enjoyed this. Loved the bat **** crazy mama and her creepy hot daughters too. The ending was something special: easily the most fun WTF moment this month. B

The Pact (2012)

Started this at 2AM. It creeped me out. But what did I watch? Is there a cohesive story here? Why do I care? Can someone ‘splain this one to me? C+? B-?