AVS Forum banner

QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread

Tags
sony
2M views 17K replies 482 participants last post by  Beefchopper 
#1 · (Edited)
In September 2004, the first news posted about a Sony 70" rear projection television capable of displaying 1080p appeared on the AVS forum. A news release from Cedia stated the model would be called a Sony KDS70XBR100 and sell for $10,000, with availability in early 2005. That television turned out to be the QUALIA 006 (Original MSRP $13,000), utilizing Sony proprietary technology labeled SXRD. A matching stand sold for $1,500. The entire QUALIA line of products was discontinued by Sony in early 2006. The latest reported manufacture date of a Q006 is January 2006.There were two QUALIA boutiques, located inside Sony Style stores. One in New York and the other in Las Vegas. I placed my order with the QUALIA store in Las Vegas on 12/30/04 and received my Q006 on 1/7/05.Screen Shots:NFL screen shots.CSI: NY screen shots.Various screen shots courtesy of brt3.Reviews:Sound & Vision Magazine.audio video revolution August 2005.JoeC5 posted this comparison between his newly purchased Q006 and Mitsubishi 65813.Picture Settings:brt3 provides these settings after tweaking with DVE (1080i) on his JVC 40000 over Input 4.mauricef provides settings from a Panasonic XP50 DVD player, which he verified were also excellent with a JVC DVHS player and HDTV from CableCard.JP2’s settings using a HTPC outputting a 1080i signal via a DVI to HDMI cable to the 006.From Penton-Man, here are his settings.nhey had his set professionally calibrated and posted these results.Miscellaneous:The Qualia 006 Owner's Guide in pdf.Here is a link to the Qualia 006 web page maintained by 006 owner brt3. This site contains photos, and a lot of other helpful information.To view signal strength of a digital station you are receiving from an antenna connected to the 006, go to Menu, then Diagnostics, and while utilizing the antenna feed as source material you can view signal strength and frequency of the station as descibed here.If you do not own a digital camera that utilizes the memory stick format, you can still purchase a memory stick (and reader, if necessary) to copy photos from your computer onto the memory stick, for display on the 006. These are the instructions.Bulb ReplacementYou can order a Sony OEM XL5000 replacement bulb for between $119.95 from TV Lamps For Less.To check the hours on your bulb and/or to reset the hours, this is the Official Sony Protocol.Joe C5 provides these detailed directions for resetting the lamp timer.Here are Tulsa1's instructions for carefully cleaning the glass plate adjacent to the bulb, which is known to accumulate a lot of dirt and dust, which may affect your picture more than you realize.Qualia Customer Support: 877-QUALIA3jb007

See less See more
#11,741 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesirjay /forum/post/0

The anthem d2 sounds like exactly what I want hmm now if I can only find a floor model for 95% off
. Thanks for the advice all I will definitely look into the Yamaha RX-V4600 although I have a feeling that the hdmi 1.3 thing will keep me from going 4 figures for a receive for the time being.

thesirjay,

I don't think the HDMI 1.3 should at all hold up your purchase (esp. since people like umr, Mr.Whigggles, and sspears? all rather recently went ahead and purchased the current HDMI (receivers on the market).

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in that last post, I didn't strongly consider the Anthem D2 because AT THE TIME of my swap-out, I knew far less about HDMI 1.3 than I do now so that restricted my allocation of Penton-paper resources.

Now I've come to the belief that the purpose of the HDMI 1.3 spec in regards to audio is either of one and or two things.

1. Put HDMI 1.3 logos on the receivers and get people to buy a new better receiver.

2. Fix some of the HDMI connection bugs between various components (better than the current HDMI spec - but still far from bug-proof).

And alot of that belief comes from the expert knowledge of people like umr and FilmMixer(also an Anthem owner) - so I duly give credit where credit is due.

So, all you really need is a current day receiver capable of decoding multi-channel LPCM via HDMI 1.1 - and you've got choices NOW among several manufacturers at different price points - but I liked the Yammy 4600 because of its features in toto..and I thought that maybe someday an Anthem would debut with more than one of those super-duper chips right around the time that I make my next super-duper display purchase.

(I *think* the Whiggle man and Stacey spears purchased Denon's AVR-2807 - which is even more economical than the Yammy - but, like I said, I like my Yammy
- and as umr said, if one's patient, one may be rewarded.)

#11,742 ·
Just got this from Sony Cierge; the 70" (non-Qualia) SXRD can't be too far behind. Design note -- no elephant ears! Also, the F1/Indy race may have been the worst (most boring) race of the year. I'm still going next year; there's NO place like Indy (repeat two more times while clicking your heels). I've driven nearly 7,000 miles in about 14 days of driving. Time to take a nap...

PS to PentonMan: GO FLOYD!!!

The NEW 60" Grand WEGA SXRD Rear Projection HDTV television combines stunning high-definition 1080p picture quality with Sony's innovative SXRD technology to bring your entertainment experience to the next level.

Call Your Personal VIP Shopper to Pre-order or learn more.

Technology Details

Full HD (1920 x 1080)Picture Resolution with SXRD chip

3 SXRD chips (R/G/B), Over 2 Million Pixels each

Contrast Ratio up to 10000:1

1080p Input for Full HD via HDMI rear connections

Bottom Speaker. Slim and Stylish Design.

Also available for pre-order in 50" and 55" screen sizes.

#11,743 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 /forum/post/0

I've driven nearly 7,000 miles in about 14 days of driving. Time to take a nap...

Honestly, when Lance retired, the Euros probably thought they were on Easy Street.

Tonight, I'll bet some are eating their shorts.

To the uninformed, there is yet another American in yellow after arguably the hardest stage of the Tour de France.
It's a looooooooooong race but, at this point you would have to consider him THE man to beat.

i.e. Floyd Landis

(word of note, I rode with him errrrrrrrrrrrrrr behind him a couple times while he was racing mountain bikes before he switched to road as he's a SoCal transplant
)

Glad to see you made it home safely.

I see your favorite racer took the Indy win.

#11,744 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man /forum/post/0

Honestly, when Lance retired, the Euros probably thought they were on Easy Street.... there is yet another American in yellow... you would have to consider him THE man to beat.
i.e. Floyd Landis

I see your favorite racer took the Indy win.

Penton, I just pray to God that some Frenchman doesn't head-butt Floyd out of a TDF win!

On the F1 front, Michelin were overly conservative after last year's debacle, + they had zero data from last year's race (unlike their Bridgestone counterparts). They brought a more aggressive tire that might easily have won the race, but counseled their teams to stick with the conservative tire...

Here's an interesting link that tells you PRECISELY what I think of Mikey Schumacher; scroll down to the comparison made between people who constantly push the limit (of themselves and their equipment) and The German. My favorite quote: "These guys - Lauda, Schumacher... I've never seen them win a race spectacularly!":

Alex Zanardi Interview

Sorry for the Racing Moment. On the Qualia front, think I'll pop in a new bulb and see what happens! The old girl is, after all, well past her first birthday...

#11,745 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 /forum/post/0

Just got this from Sony Cierge; the 70" (non-Qualia) SXRD can't be too far behind. Design note -- no elephant ears! Also, the F1/Indy race may have been the worst (most boring) race of the year. I'm still going next year; there's NO place like Indy (repeat two more times while clicking your heels). I've driven nearly 7,000 miles in about 14 days of driving. Time to take a nap...

The NEW 60" Grand WEGA SXRD Rear Projection HDTV television combines stunning high-definition 1080p picture quality with Sony's innovative SXRD technology to bring your entertainment experience to the next level.

Call Your Personal VIP Shopper to Pre-order or learn more.

Technology Details

Full HD (1920 x 1080)Picture Resolution with SXRD chip

3 SXRD chips (R/G/B), Over 2 Million Pixels each

Contrast Ratio up to 10000:1

1080p Input for Full HD via HDMI rear connections

Bottom Speaker. Slim and Stylish Design.

Also available for pre-order in 50" and 55" screen sizes.

That 60" SXRD will be mine!

And a racing side note: what do you F1 fans think of Juan Montoya making the switch to NASCAR next year?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071201852.html

#11,747 ·
Anyone have an idea about the issue below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawrampe /forum/post/0

Question about Lamp Timer Reset.

I follow these instructions...

The Qualia 006 is in the OFF mode

Using the Qualia remote control

Press Display once

Press the Number 5 once

Press Volume Up once

Press Power

Press Jump Three times

This takes me to "DEM Service"

NOT

DIM SER as stated. Am I in the right menu?

Add to that, if I go further...

The Qualia will power up and display DIM SER in the center of the screen

Then press the Number 2 twelve times

Lamp Timer should appear below DIM SER with the

number of hours following it to the right

Turn the Qualia off to exit

Official Sony Protocol for resetting the Lamp Timer

Continue From the above

Press the Number 1

The menu display should now be at Lamp Timer Reset

Push the Number 3

See that last "Push the number 3"? On my screen, number 2 is "Lamp Timer Reset". What am I missing?

#11,749 ·
Thanks. I believe I purchased mine in May of 2005. Right now it has 3660 hours on it over two bulbs (and going dim again). I definately need to clean that piece of glass between the bulb and the rest of the TV. Last time I replaced I noticed it was very dirty but was afraid to touch it.

So that being said, any thoughts on lense cleaners (one for projectors would probably be good due to the heat...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C5 /forum/post/0

If nobody posts before tomorrow, I will go through it on mine again and verify the process (assuming there is only one menu - not changed because of some firmware change).

#11,750 ·
Warning - not allowing the lamp to cool before turning the set on can damage the lamp

Now that we have that out of the way (you will see why soon) we can discuss resetting the lamp timer. I like to cheat (or call it being lazy) so I modify the procedure somewhat. Also, please note that the 2/5, 1/4, and 3/6 keys when in the service mode are pairs (one forward, one back in that capability). So here goes...

If the TV is ON use Power->Display->5->Vol+->Power (within 5 seconds or you will be past the time the lamp is left on when power is pressed which would be bad - so practice if you want to try this method 5->Vol+->Power (again within 5 seconds, but the results are only slightly bad - you have to wait, or do the above dangerous method to achieve service mode).

You should now be on the "Version Page" of the service menu.

Press Jump 3 times. It is a loop, so if you mess up, just keep hitting jump (slowly) until you see the screen says "DEM SERVICE". It should go through QM, WEM version, DEM and then back to the main version page. Once you are on the DEM page go to the next step.

Press "5" 3 times (this is another lazy thing). You should now be on number 13 which is the "LAMP TIMER" section. You could of course press "2" 12 times (the manual mistakenly says 9 times). If you go too far, remember the other key and go back (this is the 2/5 pair we are working with now).

Press "1" one time ("4" to go back, but there are only 3 items in this loop). You should now be on the LAMP TIMER RESET line which resets the lamp timer. so at this point you should be on a screen which looks something like:

DEM SERVICE

13 TIMER

2 LAMP TIMER RESET 0

Note: Due to firmware variations you may need to modify the steps somewhat, or the screen may look slightly different.

OK, if you got this far, you are ready to reset the lamp timer. Press "3" one time and the "0" should change to a "1" ("6" puts it pack to "0" - remember the number pairs). Once you have the lamp timer reset set to a one, press "Muting" and then "Enter" to save it. You can now go back to the lamp timer menu ("4") and it should read 0 now.

Almost done now. So you can either be lazy like me and press "Power" twice (about 1 second apart) and continue to use your TV as it was intended, or you can just Press Power once, and then wait 45 minutes or more to let the lamp cool down before you turn it back on.

I suggest you print this out, and practice it in your mind a little before doing it. Practicing the "going into service mode" in another room is also a good idea (no exploding lamps please). It really is not that difficult for the technically inclined, but if you do not feel comfortable doing it (if you can change the lamp, you should be able to do this), then please call a professional and let them do it. I would hate someone to damage their expensive TV (though I do this all the time and calibrators do it every day).

As far as cleaning the optics, I can be of no help there. I would be very careful though since some optics have coatings which can be damaged, there is quite a bit of heat involved in that area, etc. In other words, a good camera cleaner would probably work, but be sure to read up on it, and look around the Wild Wild Web for information
Good luck...

#11,751 ·
Joe: An excellent explanation! Thanks from all of us.

jb007: I nominate this post for linkage from post #1.

--Dwayne

#11,753 ·
You have a few seconds to turn the set back on and enter the service menu because when you turn the set off, the bulb actually stays on with the screen going black via no signal.

After that, the bulb goes off, the mercury vapor has to return to a liquid state before being reignited. If you try to reignite the bulb before its return to a liquid state, its a much harder strain on the system.

#11,754 ·
One thing I do (unrelated to the service menu) to help get the most bulb life is this. Most electronics and machines don't like short on/off cycles. If I ever have to switch the set on for a "quickie" -- say, to check the program guide and set up a recording -- I never turn it back off when I'm done. I use the sleep timer, and set it for at least 15 minutes.

#11,756 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawrampe /forum/post/0

So that being said, any thoughts on lense cleaners (one for projectors would probably be good due to the heat...).

Hey there gang. Yes I'm still alive and kicking.

I thought I would chime in on this one since I recently had a VERY POSITIVE

experience by cleaning the lens adjacent to the lamp. I too had been on my

second lamp since January and was disappointed at lack of picture contrast so

I went to LensCrafters and bought a small spray bottle of lens cleaner and a box

of there lens tissues. After the Q006 had been off overnight I removed the lamp

and using a penlight flashlight to see the lens inside. It is on the left recessed in

in a box in the lamp cavity. I could see it was very dirty. I took two of the the lens tissues

and wrapped them over the end of my index finger and sprayed the lens cleaner

lightly in on it. I rubbed this all around the lens in that recessed box.

The tissue came out very dirty. I did this several times with fresh tissues until they

came out clean. I then did the same with a dry tissue to remove any residual

cleaner. I reinstalled the used lamp and turned it on very nervously not knowing

what to expect. It was like I had just fired up a perfect brand new Q006.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen it look so good!!!!

The picture now had depth and boldness again. Colors back to real.

I wish I had done this long ago. Live and learn I guess.

Hope this helps some of you.

Cheers,

Martin

#11,757 ·
Long time no hear, Tulsa !
Did you ever get your display problems worked out thru the powers that be ?

You know I always hesitated to use liquid anything on the internal stuff of displays because I was paranoid of residual streaking ?

This has to have come up with other displays, esp. among the calibrators out there like umr that have tweaked a bunch of different brands.

What exactly is the official or even the practical policy of using some liquid cleaner or just removing the dust dry with a lint free rag ?

JimP, you've probably played with a bunch of lenses in your time, what do you think ?

Dry is safer ?

Slightly moist is better ?

#11,758 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man /forum/post/0

What exactly is the official or even the practical policy of using some liquid cleaner or just removing the dust dry with a lint free rag? JimP, you've probably played with a bunch of lenses in your time, what do you think? Dry is safer? Slightly moist is better?

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the forum...

Man-O-Penton-Man, WHAT has happened to our beloved Floyd?

About the "lens cleaning"...

I've played with cameras pretty seriously for the better part of 30 years. I don't think dry cleaning would be a good idea, but you also have to be judicious in the use of wet lens cleaning solutions. Any product that's endorsed by a major camera/optics manufacturer should work for this purpose. I like a product that's packaged by Zeiss for use with their binoculars. A Qualia tech might correct me, but if you use this type of product, go slowly, and frequently change out whatever "cloth" you're using it should work just fine with no damage to the set. For the "cloth" I'd use optical grade microfiber; I've been using this on my computer screens for the past year or two and really like this product...

#11,759 ·
P. M.

Are you trying to clean a lens or the front surface of your 006?

If its a lens, what I've alway been told is you use one of those combination brush blower contraptions to get any loose particals off of the lens first. Then apply some lens cleaning solution to a lint less cloth or lens cleaning tissue. Lightly wipe the lens. What you don't want to do is to squirt the cleaner onto the lens which may find its way between the lens elements where you can't get to it.

As to brt3's suggestion about using a lens cleaner along with one of the microfiber cloths. If its one of those antistatic cloths, I believe it may already have some kind of solution in it as one that I tried to use to clean a lens left a residue. I went back to the lens cleaner and lens cleaning tissues to remove the residue.

#11,760 ·
What we're cleaning (and I did) is the piece of glass that sits in front of the actual bulb unit. It is not part of the bulb unit, rather fixed in the TV (held by little tabs, so pay attention when cleaning).

BTW, I am going to pull the bulb every 3 months from now on. I am thinking that the dust that clogs the little screen below the bulb, on the bulb unit, is what shortens the life of the bulb. To clean it, remove the two philips screws, take off the screen/filter, and blow out. Don't blow it out with it attached to the bulb unit.

I looked at the dead bulb I have, and the dimming bulb in there, and in both cases that screen/filter was solid with dust. No wonder the bulb dies, it's not being vented anymore...!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.