AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVD player and Windows Media 9?

689 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  bootz 
#1 ·
Are there any dvd players that can playback wmp 9 encoded files? Any in the works? there's a new terminator 2 dvd coming out with a high definition version of the movie encoded with wmp9. It would be cool to be able to play this on my HDTV, not just my computer.

Fleming

#2 ·
Not for a while. We are just seeing standalone players that can do Divx files. The compression on WM9-HD is very tough on a processor. So untill they make a stand-alone dedicated WM9-HD decoder, like the sigma chip for Divx, they would need to use P4 or AMD procs. I can watch WM9 clips with my Athlon XP 1800, 1.533Ghz actual. I've seen post by others that get bad playback with 1.8Ghz P4s so it wouldn't be very cheap stand alone player. Not to mention noise for cooling the procs.

#7 ·
well I was right excpet they have develope a standalone decoder/encoder faster than I thought. I should've have known that with microsoft pushing it would get done sooner rather than later

here are some specs for the chip doing the work
http://www.equator.com/products/BSP1...ctBrief_t.html

wow built on .15 good for lowering heat and power consumption. This chip is about as complex as a P4 or XP ;)

#8 ·
that sounds like a very cool recorder/dvd player. i didn't see anything about resolution output, or recording resolution. i'm pretty sure it has component outs though so it probably will be able to do HD. i didn't see chip specs in that article, where did you see them?

#9 ·
Very Long Instruction Word (VLIW) Core

Execution units on two clusters for VLIW parallel processing at the instruction level

four 32-bit integer ALUs, two 64-bit shuffle/ partitioned add units, and two 128-bit multimedia units

128 32-bit general purpose registers, which can be treated as sixty-four 64-bit general purpose registers

thirty-two 1-bit predicate registers

eight special 128-bit registers

Native SIMD (single instruction multiple data) operations for parallel processing at data level

Memory Hierarchy

32KB four-way set associative non-blocking write-back data cache and 32KB two-way set associative instruction cache

Separate MMU (memory management units) data, instruction, and DMA

Glueless high-speed SDRAM/SGRAM interface, supporting up to 128 MB

Coprocessors

Variable Length Encoder/Decoder (VLx): a RISC coprocessor, fully programmable in C, that offloads bit-serial tasks from the VLIW core

Video Filter: a coprocessor for scaling of video with 4 (vertical) x 5 (horizontal), 3 x 5, or 2 x 5 tap filters

Fully programmable 64-channel DataStreamer DMA controller

DES engine for content protection

Integrated Peripheral Interfaces

PCI Bus: 3.3V, 33 MHz/66 MHz, 32-bit, PCI revision 2.2 compatible, internal host arbitrator

Inter-IC (IIC) serial I/O bus control port

Programmable format 64-bit/32-bit SDRAM controller, requiring no additional glue logic

Flash ROM read/write interface controller

Control signals for external video VCXO timing control loop for MPEG transport clock recovery

S/PDIF (IEC958) and IIS serial audio I/O ports

Two multipurpose ports, each of which can function as either an ITU-R BT.656 video decoder input port or a TCI (Transport Channel Interface) port

8-bit ITU-T BT.656 video encoder output port

1-bit serial or 8-bit parallel MPEG TCI (Transport Channel Interface) port to network interface modules

Programmable SVGA DRC (Display Refresh Controller) with 24-bit (8-bit x 3) 135 MHz digital-to-analog conversion

Digital RGB for supporting 12-, 18-, and 24-bit video streams, driving digital display panels

IEEE-1149.1 JTAG boundary scan compatible

Benefits

The BSP-15 chip matches or exceeds cost/performance features of fixed-function chips while adding exceptional flexibility to respond to rapidly evolving standards with software implementation changes.

The BSP-15 chip's C programmability simplifies and shortens the application development cycle, there by reducing time to market and enabling heightened responsiveness to changing market demands.

The BSP-15 chip's power and versatility allows it to function as the main processor in a single-processor embedded system, making it possible to build simpler, lower-cost systems.

Applications

The applications for the BSP-15 chip include digital cameras, hand-helds, imaging, media gateways, set-top boxes, telematics, video conferencing, video security, video head-end, and etc.

Development Support

The BSP-15 has a complete set of development tools, which include iMMediaTools software development kit, reference boards, and 3rd party software.

BSP-15 Chip Specifications

Technology 0.15 m, TSMC

Performance 40 GOPS @ 400 MHz

80 8-bit SIMD operations/cycle

16 16-bit MAC operations/cycle

BSP-15 parts

(CPU frequency,

SDRAM frequency)

BSP-15-300

BSP-15-350

BSP-15-400

283 MHz, 141 MHz

351 MHz, 117 MHz

405 MHz, 135 MHz

I/O voltage 3.3V

Packaging 352 BGA

These are just chip specs not what it can record or playback.

#10 ·
thanks, most of that goes right over my head, but it sounds powerful. it will be interesting to see what kind of resolutions it can record and playback. i did a simple calculation (which could be incorrect), but i took a 650 MB cd and 120 minutes of record time, and i came up with .77 megabits per second. wmp9 at that rate is probably decent quality. i know the HD clips MS has on their web site are 5.5-8 Mb/s

#11 ·
This is going to be very interesting. I wonder how the MPAA feels about DVDs playing back at 720p via analog?

The HD-DVD war is already starting! Sony pushing Blu-Ray and MS promoting its WM9 playback...Sony's PS3 versus MS's XBox2 may turn out to be much more than a console war.

Competition is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.