AVS Forum banner

Vexille HD DVD *PIX* + Reviews

17K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Blasst 
#1 ·
An anime with the Americans being the good guy for once?

Unlike Appleseed Ex Machina this movie came under the radar. Its too bad because this one is a step up in the right direction as far as PQ and AQ for HD anime release. Aliasing is greatly reduced (its still there but not as distracting as Ex Machina) and motion artifacts (macroblocking) is very minimal. Unfortunately banding is still a problem. Its actually worse in some parts

With the AVC encode 17.80 GB used, it holds up really well especially at the end of the movie where our heroine is being chased by multiple JAGS (if you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about
)

Its only available (HD DVD release) in Japan and it has NO ENGLISH SUBTITLE. So what to do for non-Japanese speaker among us? You have two options: Buy the DVD - Ok not really an option
or HTPC.

Good thing I already have HTPC

So how to listen to multichannel lossless sound with English subtitle?

See less See more
#2 ·
You will need a program that adds or superimpose text on a video playback. In other words user added subtitling AND without remuxing the original file. This ensures you get the PQ untouched.

The program I used is called Titledrome (or any similar program) and it works very well on my setup. You will also need a .srt or .sub file that contains the English subtitle for the movie (just Google it).

So I set up the movie to output TrueHD and PowerDVD to 6 speaker setting with my receiver set to "EXT IN"

And Viola!

Here is a screenshot of my 120" screen.

And don't worry I have the info (top right corner) turned off when watching the movie. I only want to show you what I'm getting

#6 ·
Sweet, haven't seen this one but will love to pick it up as should every Anime fan.

The HD version looks so rich, not as muted as sd..

Man I was just observing the last comparison pic, and the helmet looks so smooth on HD side, great details!

Thanks great pix

DJoel

#8 ·
Holy crap theres a massive PQ difference between the dvd and HD-DVD..

#9 ·
Ain't that the truth, man it Vaseline city on the sd, look at that shoot of the shattered glass on the SD simply yuk...Then the HD is just right..The depth in that screen shoot is amazing, a true piece of art...

How the hell did we watched these sd before
, I popped in Ninjas Scrolls Tenth year anniversary, while I enjoyed the nostalgic trip I was very disappointed of the enormous amount of noise, man am I spoiled...Video snub

DJoel

#10 ·
The differences seems to be slighter noticeable and better than the Appleseed caps. Nice job Xylon. Appreciate your enthusiasm. I wish I had a good budget and the mindset to get a HTPC.

#11 ·
Wow, the difference is HUGE! I wish I had an HTPC.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon /forum/post/13603588

Yeah, I saw that. I cant resist that shot especially if you are at AVS

I don't follow exactly what you mean. When I said it was interesting that we picked the same screenshots I didn't mean it as a put down. I could see how someone could take it that way.

Just covering all the bases to be clear, just in case you thought I was unhappy with you using some of the same scenes.

#18 ·
Blasst they have a huge ass fraking home theater system!!! that I'm sure none in AVS owns one yet. Any movie that has that kind of scene should have a screenshot taken. Its a rule

Looking at it again they don't have a center speaker

#19 ·
Xylon,

Thanks for cluing me in..... just a bit tired last night and couldn't see the answer right in front of me...

I really do like your method of getting the subtitles, I just need to figure out how to make it all work. Lots of reading, unless of course you would like to give us a short course.

For those of us who are not as computer savvy to get HD DVD to work on it, there will be my old standby method coming soon.

Vexille will be released in the U.S. next month, on dvd, and it will have an English dub, so one could watch the HD DVD version for video, and use the dvd version for audio.

It blows that we have so many HD titles with no English subs, and we have to spend some extra time and money to make it work. Hell maybe we should start taking Japanese and improve ourselves at the same time. Then no need for subs or dubs......

#20 ·
I believe I posted the short course. if you need a more detailed info I will be glad to help.

Since Vexille is exclusive to Japan release its within reason why they dont need to include English subtitle.

On the other hand there is a market (albeis very small) out there outside Japan who is willing to spend a lot of money for this HD DVD. It wont cost them a arm and a leg to include foreign subtitles.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon /forum/post/13621503

I believe I posted the short course. if you need a more detailed info I will be glad to help.

Since Vexille is exclusive to Japan release its within reason why they dont need to include English subtitle.

On the other hand there is a market (albeis very small) out there outside Japan who is willing to spend a lot of money for this HD DVD. It wont cost them a arm and a leg to include foreign subtitles.

Short course being start to finish, is more of what I had in mind Xylon. That would include info on how to play the HD DVD with your computer. 360 addon, which programs to use, etc. I know there are threads on how to do this, maybe you could give more of the detailed info of what is needed.

I realize Vexille on HD DVD is exclusive to Japan, as I mentioned the U.S. will get the dvd version next month, and I wish it was the HD DVD with subs. I clearly wanted the HD DVD enough to import it without any subs. It won't be the first or last time this occurs.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst /forum/post/13621767

Short course being start to finish, is more of what I had in mind Xylon. That would include info on how to play the HD DVD with your computer. 360 addon, which programs to use, etc. I know there are threads on how to do this, maybe you could give more of the detailed info of what is needed.

I realize Vexille on HD DVD is exclusive to Japan, as I mentioned the U.S. will get the dvd version next month, and I wish it was the HD DVD with subs. I clearly wanted the HD DVD enough to import it without any subs. It won't be the first or last time this occurs.

Assuming you already have a HTPC setup:

Install a HD DVD player (cheapest is the XBOX 360 AO) to your HTPC. More details?

Install PowerDVD 7.xxx ot 8.xxx for playback. For lossless sound, set to 6 speakers. Make sure your soundcard have at least 6 speaker analog outs and a receiver that accept this (multi-channel input). Also make sure the volume is at max (you can adjust this by using the windows volume 100%, WAVE 100%

Install Titledrome. Google Vexille English subs.

Only two programs to use. Thats it.

If you don't have HTPC . . . . . DD 5.1 from DVD should suffice.

#25 ·
Hey guys,

While Vexille sounds very slick, even though I can't see the images with the !@#$'n filters on our company server now. I LOVED the 2004 appleseed and have that in the Limited Collector's Edition. Since then daddy got a 42" Aquos and a Toshiba HD-A2, albeit supposedly *dead*...anyway...I was wondering if I should pick up the HD DVD combo of Ex Machina, or just get the standard edition, and let the player upscale it.

The original Appleseed looks sweet on it, in the ratio that fills the whole screen, 1:85.1, so I'm torn between HD DVD (not available at local BB) or the standard version.

Thank you for any input, Jason

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blister72 /forum/post/13753757

Hey guys,

While Vexille sounds very slick, even though I can't see the images with the !@#$'n filters on our company server now. I LOVED the 2004 appleseed and have that in the Limited Collector's Edition. Since then daddy got a 42" Aquos and a Toshiba HD-A2, albeit supposedly *dead*...anyway...I was wondering if I should pick up the HD DVD combo of Ex Machina, or just get the standard edition, and let the player upscale it.

The original Appleseed looks sweet on it, in the ratio that fills the whole screen, 1:85.1, so I'm torn between HD DVD (not available at local BB) or the standard version.

Thank you for any input, Jason

HD ALL THE WAY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.