AVS Forum banner

Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Screenshots thread

26K views 102 replies 27 participants last post by  buylongterm 
#1 ·
As people seem to benefit from seeing screen shots I thought I'd start a thread for those of us with these sets. Lets see your screenshots!

My first attempts, not the best, but...:

My second batch, making some progress. I've since changed from Warm to Normal color temp so these are a bit warm and consequently red, the actual picture is much more subtle. I should have worked on my white balance more when I processed these:

And some SD material just to show off not only the 85u but the upconverting of the PS3. Again, the photography could be a bit better.

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision /forum/post/14653768

Very nice screen shots. I just recently watch the Lord of the Rings series on my PS3, what an incredible job it does. What type of camera are you using on your screen shots?

Thank you. All shot with: Nikon D70s, 50mm 1.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carioca_FL /forum/post/14653808

Great shots indeed! Do you also do any tweaking in Photoshop?

No PS tweaking. I should have done a more accurate white balance rendition, as I intimated, the white balance throws off the colors a bit. I'll do better on the next set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/14654192

Those shots look fantastic, which size of the PZ80/PZ85 do you have?

Chris

It's a 42" 85u.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John /forum/post/14654433

Thank you. All shot with: Nikon D70s, 50mm 1.8.

No PS tweaking. I should have done a more accurate white balance rendition, as I intimated, the white balance throws off the colors a bit. I'll do better on the next set.

It's a 42" 85u.

Warms me heart...

I have this very TV (same size as well) comming in 4 days!!!!

I am blown away by your screens. What are the settings for movies you have settled on and what kind of lighting is the room normally when you view?

I will be running all disk content through the Panny DP30 Blu plyr. The room is about 12 x 12 more or less.

C.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl /forum/post/14655673

Warms me heart...

I have this very TV (same size as well) comming in 4 days!!!!

I am blown away by your screens. What are the settings for movies you have settled on and what kind of lighting is the room normally when you view?.....

C.

The viewing distance is 11' and the room conditions are dim. The photos were shot in complete darkness but I never watch that way, I use some bias lighting.

These settings are what I was running for those pics. I've since tweaked them a bit. The biggest change I've made though is going from Warm to Normal Temp. I think now that the set has a few hundred hours on it that the phosphors have warmed a bit and Warm is simply too warm now.

Cinema

Picture: 74 (now down to 67)

Brightness: 54

Color: 41 (now 38)

Tint: -2

Sharpness: 52

Temp: Warm (now Normal)

Color Mgmt: OFF

X.V. Color: OFF

C.A.T.S.: OFF

Video NR: OFF

Black Level: Light

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John /forum/post/14656303

The viewing distance is 11' and the room conditions are dim. The photos were shot in complete darkness but I never watch that way, I use some bias lighting.

These settings are what I was running for those pics. I've since tweaked them a bit. The biggest change I've made though is going from Warm to Normal Temp. I think now that the set has a few hundred hours on it that the phosphors have warmed a bit and Warm is simply too warm now.

Cinema

Picture: 74 (now down to 67)

Brightness: 54

Color: 41 (now 38)

Tint: -2

Sharpness: 52

Temp: Warm (now Normal)

Color Mgmt: OFF

X.V. Color: OFF

C.A.T.S.: OFF

Video NR: OFF

Black Level: Light

I am rolling with this settings ATM and I am impressed. Using warm though. For now.

Personal tweaks? Or a Calibration disk?

C.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl /forum/post/14711291

I am rolling with this settings ATM and I am impressed. Using warm though. For now.

C.

Anyone know if the blacks are a lot better than the PX80 blacks? I'm planning on returning my PX80 and I'm leaning towards the 50PZ80 HDTV. The difference in cash would be about 350 dollars. Anyone?

#10 ·
Nice screenshots. I have the 42PZ80U... I'll post some when I'm done with the break-in period (currently about 50 hours of break-in DVD non-stop).

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl /forum/post/14711291

C.

Not sure what you're asking but assuming: no I've not used any calibration disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingGod /forum/post/14711333

Anyone know if the blacks are a lot better than the PX80 blacks? I'm planning on returning my PX80 and I'm leaning towards the 50PZ80 HDTV. The difference in cash would be about 350 dollars. Anyone?

The PX is 15,000:1 and the PZ80 is 20,000:1. That said, I would expect a noticeable difference between the PX80 and the PZ85u which is 30,000:1. I mention it because there is relatively little difference in price between the 80u and 85u. Remember also that the PX series is 720p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmax /forum/post/14711503

Nice screenshots. I have the 42PZ80U... I'll post some when I'm done with the break-in period (currently about 50 hours of break-in DVD non-stop).

Thanks. Please do!

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John /forum/post/14713023

Not sure what you're asking but assuming: no I've not used any calibration disc.

The PX is 15,000:1 and the PZ80 is 20,000:1. That said, I would expect a noticeable difference between the PX80 and the PZ85u which is 30,000:1. I mention it because there is relatively little difference in price between the 80u and 85u. Remember also that the PX series is 720p.

Thanks. Please do!

I've read that the blacks are the same regarding the PZ80 vs PZ85. The only difference is that the PZ85 has a VGA input. Not really worth the few extra hundred dollars if what I just stated is in fact true.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingGod /forum/post/14713075

I've read that the blacks are the same regarding the PZ80 vs PZ85. The only difference is that the PZ85 has a VGA input. Not really worth the few extra hundred dollars if what I just stated is in fact true.

Not sure where youre buying from but the price difference between the 80u & 85u has been typically less than $200 for months (often less than $100).

As for the blacks being the same, I'm not sure I can agree fully. I don't own both sets but have recently confirmed that the measured difference between the two is indeed 10,000:1. I'm sure that amounts to at least a small difference if not more.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John /forum/post/14713139

Not sure where youre buying from but the price difference between the 80u & 85u has been typically less than $200 for months (often less than $100).

As for the blacks being the same, I'm not sure I can agree fully. I don't own both sets but have recently confirmed that the measured difference between the two is indeed 10,000:1. I'm sure that amounts to at least a small difference if not more.

Considering that the black level difference is small, is it really worth the extra 200 bucks?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingGod /forum/post/14713348

Considering that the black level difference is small, is it really worth the extra 200 bucks?

I guess that's up to you. Again, I've not seen them next to each other. The consensus is that it's not major. On the other hand....well just look what I wrote here

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John /forum/post/14713023

When I said Personal Tweaks or Calibration disk I meant were you going just by eye and your personal visual preference through general use of the TV watching a movie here and there versus useing a consumer calibration DVD of some kind to get accuracy...

I find your other comment about the Warm color setting getting warmer with time. I am now about 40 hours into this TV and I do not know if it's in my head or if I am now seeing it too. I find myself on the fence about Normal versus Warm at this stage. Warm seemed perfect the first few days I had this unit. Both look great once you get used to them though. Going back and fourth while watching a movie to decide on the best one will drive you mad.

Is this common?

C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.