Feature running time: 121 Minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Malcolm McDowell, Tyler Mane, William Forsyth, Scout Taylor-Compton, Brad Dourif, Dee Wallace
Written & Directed by: Rob Zombie
Music by: Tyler Bates
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 21, 2008

"The face behind the mask"

Film Synopsis:

Rob Zombie's terrifying vision of American horror classic Halloween is back and more chilling than ever. This brand-new edition contains the unrated feature film with director's commentary, thrilling bonus features including deleted scenes and an alternate ending, and an all-new second disc containing an exclusive 4 1/2 hour documentary giving a behind the scenes look at how Zombie created the film.

My Take:

I reviewed the original Halloween on Blu-ray just under a year ago. I thought I would include some of my comments from that review here: "On a black and unholy Halloween night years ago, little Michael Myers brutally slaughtered his sister in cold blood. But for the last fifteen years, town residents have rested easy, knowing that he was safely locked away in a mental hospital... until tonight. Tonight Michael returns to the same quiet neighborhood to relive his grisly murder again... and again... and again. For this is a night of evil. Tonight is Halloween! I remember when Halloween was released and scared the pants off of people. It has since become quite a cult classic which spun off seven sequels and this Rob Zombie remake. I don't think I saw any of the original releases past Halloween 4: The return of Michael Myers, as I felt that the series was becoming redundant. The original John Carpenter film holds a special place for many."

I went into this review with an open mind trying to ignore any preconceived notions based upon what I had heard about this remake. It is tough to look at this film and not compare it to the original especially when it makes the comparison itself in many ways. Initially I thought the idea of provided a more detailed background on Michael Myers was an interesting approach. As the film progressed and moved into the second act I changed my mind. One of the things that made Michael so menacing in the original film was that you really never knew who or what was behind the mask. This made his physical and mental invulnerability somehow seem more plausible. The added information provided in Rob Zombie's telling made him not only feel human but actually pretty sympathetic when you see where he came from. This Director's cut represents my first viewing of this film so I am not sure what was added etc. There were many aspects of the story that remained faithful to the original, especially when Michael returns home. The explicit sexuality contained in the screenplay was unnecessary in my opinion. This was also inherent in the dialogue. I realize that the first film was made 30 years ago but its use of sexuality was enough that it appropriately fit into the story without becoming a focal point.

Other than young Michael and his mother Deborah none of the character featured in the 1st act were likeable which made it tough to empathize with them. Of course in a movie like this character development, outside of the main players, isn't especially definitive due to the fact that they don't last long. The story dragged and a number of the murder sequences just lasted too long. I thought that Daeg Farech did a good job portraying 10 year old Michael. Malcolm McDowell was just fine as Dr. Loomis and I felt that Scout Taylor-Compton played Laurie with just the right amount of innocence/sincerity. There was a multitude of cameo's that included Danny Treo, Mickey Dolenz, William Forsyth, Danielle Harris, Brad Dourif, Richard Lynch, Dee Wallace, and Sid Haig.

The film had a few good moments and I can't say that I thought it was awful. It just doesn't have the built in suspense and underlying terror of the boogeyman that the original film holds.

Parental Guide:

The film contains bloody, brutal violence, graphic nudity, sexual content and language. Nuff said.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Halloween comes to Blu-ray Disc featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 36 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 2.8 mbps.

This was a solid video presentation that featured high level detail and naturally delineated colors. Images were rich in delicate texture and multi-dimensional definition that brought out subtle nuance in close up and long range visuals. The video was reliably resolute with excellent sharpness in all but one or two instances that didn't appear to be related to the encoding. The opening act takes place 15 years prior to the second and uses select colors that are cooler in tonality, and muted enough to make them appear less vivid but still natural. I think that this effectively provides the feeling that the events are taking place during earlier time period. As the second act opens 15 years later colors are warmer, with deeper saturation, broader scope, and vibrant hues. Skin tones are tonally consistent with lifelike complexions and perceivable variety. Blacks are stable with ample dynamic range so that dark scenes have good visible depth and contrast. The Rendering of detail in shadows and low lighting was never a problem. This is a high bitrate encoding that had a clean pristine quality that appeared free of video related artifacts/noise.

The lossless audio mix was rich in sonic detail that was highlighted by room filling surround sound and palpable dynamic presence. Being a horror movie the soundtrack plays an intricate role in the telling. Like the original Halloween the music here helps build suspense/tension and this mix rendered its score with well placed and clearly defined instrumentation that sounded excellent. Sound effects were spread throughout the soundfield and generated a believable and immersive soundstage in my room. Bass response was well extended and appropriately balanced within the mix so that it added impact but never drew strict attention to itself. Dialogue was rendered with clarity and discernible intonation which enabled even subtle vocal inflections to be audible.

Bonus Features:

Disc 1:

• Feature length commentary with Writer/Director Rob Zombie

• 17 deleted scenes with optional commentary

• Alternate ending with optional commentary

• Blooper reel

• The many mask of Michael Myers - Featurette

• Re-imagining Halloween - Featurette

• Meet the cast - Featurette

• Casting sessions

• Scout Taylor-Compton screen test (Laurie Strode

• Theatrical trailer

• BD-Live enabled

Disc 2:
  • (HD) Michael Myers Lives: The making of Halloween - 4 ½ hour documentary of the films making staring with pre-production through wrap.

Final Thoughts:

Halloween is an ambitious re-make that falls rather short of the mark when compared to the original John Carpenter cult classic film of the same name. Its high definition Blu-ray disc presentation from The Weinstein Company succeeds admirably by offering high quality visuals and an excellent Dolby TrueHD lossless audio soundtrack. All the bonus supplements from the recent three disc DVD release are included which make this a strong offering for fans that held out for the Blu-ray Disc.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player

Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter /forum/post/14878187

This remake of the Halloween story bears I feel a loose similarity to the story of Darth Vader ie. innocent youngster becomes inhuman monster.

Darth Vader never looked an "inhuman monster" to me.

This Halloween remake reminds me of Hannibal Rising actually.

The problem with these characters that they're built like monsters, but after a few sequels, we have to feel for them because there's the touching backstory we didn't know in the first place... But it's pretty obvious anyone acting like they do wouldn't have lived a normal and quiet life.

Besides, a good villain in a movie is someone we *love* to hate anyway... No need for him to appear sympathetic. That's what I liked about the Joker in The Dark Knight. We don't know his background (even when he seems to give some hints about it, we still can't figure what happened exactly), which makes him even more frightening.

#7 ·
Ralph Potts;

Disc 2:
  • (HD) Michael Myers Lives: The making of Halloween – 4 ½ hour documentary of the films making staring with pre-production through wrap.

Ralph, other reviews I've seen of this title list the disc 2 documentary as being in standard definition. Is it really HD, or was that a typo?

Thanks for the review!

Art

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne /forum/post/14880214

Ralph Potts;

Disc 2:
  • (HD) Michael Myers Lives: The making of Halloween - 4 ½ hour documentary of the films making staring with pre-production through wrap.

Ralph, other reviews I've seen of this title list the disc 2 documentary as being in standard definition. Is it really HD, or was that a typo?

Thanks for the review!

Art

Greetings,

Art, the video on Disc 2 is AVC encoded at HD bitrates which is why I reported it as such. The quality is more typical of SD resolution though.

Regards,

#9 ·
I also really enjoyed this movie, just in time for halloween can't wait to get it and watch it in HD with my wife.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/14879617

I'm actually in the minority that really enjoyed this take on Halloween. The original is in no doubt vastly superior and will never be topped imo but I still really enjoyed this one and am looking forward to getting my BD copy.

Thanks for the review Ralph.

I liked it too... My comments wre merely pointing that an "evil" chatacter's backstory is not always necessary... I like Rob Zombie as a director so far.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/14878651

The original rules, no not in the least bit interested in this I wouldn't watch this version if you gave me 1 million pounds, now then.

That's funny because for sure I'd watch any damn movie you want for a million pounds.

#13 ·
wow. I know we have all have our opinions, etc..on everything in life.....BUT....how someone's mind, can actually conclude that Rob Zombie's version of Halloween is in any way a good, enjoyable film, is simply astounding to me. I was vastly disappointed in this film, especially coming from Rob himself. This film lacks in so many areas. The enitre film lacks 'darkness and grittiness' coupled with poor decisions on behalf of the director in terms of cast, music insertions during certain scenes (deciding to actually play "Love Hurts" from Nazereth in a supposedly 'real and gritty' horror movie, along with a total failure in being able to grab the audience in any fashion, anywhere, throughout the entire movie. The movie comes across pretty cheesy, rushed, tacky, and cheap-ish. I'm still stunned that this is the best Rob Zombie could do, to be quite frank about it. Movie is god-awful, and a total embarassment to not only Rob Zombie's resume, but to those who's minds actually concluded that 'hey, this was a pretty good movie'. You really should feel embarrassed that your mind concluded what it did..here.

Matt

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo /forum/post/14881994

I liked it too... My comments wre merely pointing that an "evil" chatacter's backstory is not always necessary... I like Rob Zombie as a director so far.

wow. "I liked it too". I immediately do/would question your overall abilities in making rational, sound, and ultimately logical conclusions based on ANYTHING, in this life, with your openly admitted statement of 'liking' Rob Zombie's version of Halloween.

The movie was tacky, cheap-feeling, and ultimately suffers from totally feeling like a rated 'B' movie.

Period.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmtg /forum/post/14894896

wow. I know we have all have our opinions, etc..on everything in life.....BUT....how someone's mind, can actually conclude that Rob Zombie's version of Halloween is in any way a good, enjoyable film, is simply astounding to me. I was vastly disappointed in this film, especially coming from Rob himself. This film lacks in so many areas. The enitre film lacks 'darkness and grittiness' coupled with poor decisions on behalf of the director in terms of cast, music insertions during certain scenes (deciding to actually play "Love Hurts" from Nazereth in a supposedly 'real and gritty' horror movie, along with a total failure in being able to grab the audience in any fashion, anywhere, throughout the entire movie. The movie comes across pretty cheesy, rushed, tacky, and cheap-ish. I'm still stunned that this is the best Rob Zombie could do, to be quite frank about it. Movie is god-awful, and a total embarassment to not only Rob Zombie's resume, but to those who's minds actually concluded that 'hey, this was a pretty good movie'. You really should feel embarrassed that your mind concluded what it did..here.

Matt

X2.. Too long and boring. Or it seemed long. I probably would have walked out if I wasn't with my friend. Terrible casting, minus Sheri moon, who I think is turning into a pretty good actress.. & the whole 'mikey' bit was lame..
The ending was predictable, & left me wanting more.. I was like, ok.. This is it??

#17 ·
Hiya Ralph,

Happy Halloween! Anyway I couldn't agree more about this film. I hated this remake myself, I found it utterly boring and stupid in most spots. When I viewed the film in it's theatrical presenatation there was nothing but stunned silence throughout the theater.

I wish this film was never made. What's next a remake of The Exorcist?

Anyway I just had to weigh in with my hatred for this pointless remake.

Take care my friend,

Ray

#18 ·
Ray, I can't believe it. A horror that you hate, and I like. It indeed must be the end times.

#20 ·
For me, personally, where Zombie went wrong was being too verbatim in his homage. Carpenter's classic still plays well and didn't need to be remade with little more than slight embellishments. Zombie should have either made it his own, or left it be. The humanizing of Michael didn't hurt the story for me. He still seemed plenty inhuman. I thought the added psychological element actually enhanced the realism of a descent into evil. Unfortunately, it didn't leave time enough for connecting with the characters to really feel for their plight, which like Jeeper Creepers 2, hindered the emotional terror.

I didn't care for Loomis' character in the remake though. Talk about doing more harm than good, both the character in his cold dealings with a troubled child and McDowell's pompous performance.

Gotta give Zombie credit for recycling the original theme though. All-in-all I thought it much more inspired than the military cover-up plot introduced in number 6 that sent the series spiralling down hill for me.

#21 ·
LOL great to see you Chad and Ralph! Anyway as far as the series spiraling downwards . I only liked Nick Castle as Myers in the 1st one and Dick Warlock as Myers in the second.

The rest of them were just fluff to me. I recently saw a trailer for the Friday the 13th remake that looked promising. It is nice to see old horror icons getting new life breathed into them but sometimes the memory of what was indeed sacred is trounced in these new visions.

Man it seems like forever since I talked to you guys. Will have to hang around a bit more.

Ray

#23 ·
Good to hear from you too Ray. The first two films were the most worthwhile for sure. I still enjoyed those that followed for the Halloween atmosphere. I even liked most of 6 for the same. The military angle just took away the evil from the character. And with their leaving the storyline hanging, Meyers wasn't as threatening after that. Zombies vision at least restored the sense of evil for me.

#24 ·
I'm probably the only guy on the planet who genuinely loves 70s horror films, yet always thought that Carpenter's original was vastly overrated. Not to say it's awful, just that it feels like a second rate giallo, like a streamlined and pre-digested Dario Argento or Mario Bava picture minus the smart script and mystery angle. Certainly it's a vastly better film than its' knock-offs, but I'm not sure if "best slasher" or "worst giallo" is really more or less of a compliment.

Zombie's film seems to take place in a bizarre universe where mental institutes are lit like funhouses, and the radio still plays Alice Cooper in the mid 1990s. It isn't "realistic" for a second, but it is quite brutal, filled with some inappropriately funny gags, and presents Michael Meyers as an emotionally disturbed human being rather than an every-man avatar with no explanation for his violent behavior. It's a remake that takes the same events but spins very new concepts from them, just like Aja's wildly different/exactly the same version of The Hills Have Eyes.

Besides, compared to Hooper's take on The Toolbox Murders or Nispel's Texas Chain Saw Massacre remake, how can Halloween not look like solid gold?

Glad to hear the Blu-ray looks and sounds nice, at least.
Perhaps the documentary was shot at 480 and then upscaled? Or maybe it's a combination of 480 and 1080 material?

#25 ·
I visited the original on Blu-ray tonight, seeing it for the first time since the limited 2-disc DVD (the first 2-disc release from the late 90's I believe). While I still prefer the original, it seems my affectionate memory may have been a little too kind. I hold no less affection for Carpenter's classic. But, despite the all too obvious regurgitations that offered nothing more than more skin and gore, I appreciated the greater sophistication of Zombie's update more.

I hope the franchise isn't left to die with Zombie's turn. With the background out of the way, it would be interesting to see what he might do given a fresh script.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.