AVS Forum banner

Fist Of Legend BD Germany

7K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  lgans316 
#1 ·
Fist of Legend showed up yesterday. http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...fenheimthea-21

As with all the other imports I have received this last week or so, I still need to watch this, other than just doing a quick check to see what it will play in.

However for those interested.

It is region locked!

It lists only 2.0 English, yet having a quick look at it, I am getting 5.1 using WinDVD 9.

No English subs

I'll get to this one soon....hopefully..... and post my impressions.

See less See more
#2 ·
I love this movie. Maybe one day we can get a US release.

I just baught the Dragon Dynasty release, but would double dip for this one.

If you enjoyed the fight scenes in The Matrix you should watch this movie.

#7 ·
crap, i got all excited at the thread's title thinking they announced the US release of Fist of Legend on BD. This is Jet Li's best movie in my opinion too.

No subtitles? English 2.0 audio? Region locked???

arghhhhh

oh well, thanks for posting about it anyways. How is the PQ? The quality could be an indication of what the US version will look like someday.

#9 ·
For the time being, Dragon Dynasty's recent SD release offers the best PQ available, as the video has been upgraded to anamorphic....it looks mighty impressive upconverted, even on my 140" screen. BTW, the aspect ratio on the German BD packaging is incorrectly labelled as 2.35 -- it's no wider than 1.85 (1.78 on the DD release)....as well, the running time appears to be 5 mins shorter than the N. American release, which is 103 mins.

#11 ·
There is not one single, solitary proper version of this film on DVD (and now BD). There is something wrong with all of them.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/15238016

There is not one single, solitary proper version of this film on DVD (and now BD). There is something wrong with all of them.

Matt,

Have you seen the Dragon Dynasty SD version that just came out this last fall?

Its much improved over the previous versions that have been available.

#13 ·
That release has numerous problems:

This is not the uncut version of the movie. This IS the Dimension version. Aside from having the Dimension intro and not the original, this is missing the last moments of the movie where we see the on screen epilogue text and then we see Chin Siu Ho running with the other students (along with even the last bit where we see the crew posing for the camera right after the ending credits). This print, just like the Dimension print, freeze frames the car driving away instead of us seeing it drive off where the on screen text is supposed to come up. This even has the credits directly lifted from the Dimension version.

This release has severe problems because of the improper conversion from a PAL source. The image is constantly sped up or slowed down to match audio. Dragon Dynasty's release of Tai Chi Master also has this problem.

The subtitles are 100% ********.

The color is all wrong throughout.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/15245557

That release has numerous problems:

This is not the uncut version of the movie. This IS the Dimension version. Aside from having the Dimension intro and not the original, this is missing the last moments of the movie where we see the on screen epilogue text and then we see Chin Siu Ho running with the other students (along with even the last bit where we see the crew posing for the camera right after the ending credits). This print, just like the Dimension print, freeze frames the car driving away instead of us seeing it drive off where the on screen text is supposed to come up. This even has the credits directly lifted from the Dimension version.

This release has severe problems because of the improper conversion from a PAL source. The image is constantly sped up or slowed down to match audio. Dragon Dynasty's release of Tai Chi Master also has this problem.

The subtitles are 100% ********.

The color is all wrong throughout.

The ONLY correct versions are the original Mei Ah VCD and LD that was released 16 years ago. There is also the uncut Ritek version but that only had a Mandarin track. The original is in Cantonese.

I was hoping to get rid of the VCD and LD but still hold on to them because it's the only way to watch them uncut.

#18 ·
It' so sad to think my last uncut copy is the asian laserdisc that is gathering dust in my cupboard at the moment. I hope Hong Kong blu-ray distributors will release the uncut version of the film one day(it's also very difficult to get an uncut copy of Jackie's Drunken Master 2 even on dvd)

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWTG /forum/post/18275365

It' so sad to think my last uncut copy is the asian laserdisc that is gathering dust in my cupboard at the moment. I hope Hong Kong blu-ray distributors will release the uncut version of the film one day(it's also very difficult to get an uncut copy of Jackie's Drunken Master 2 even on dvd)

I second that!

The sad truth is that back in the 90's these movies had no future in Hong Kong. They were mis-treated and stored under piss-poor conditions. When superstars like Jackie Chan and Jet Li successfully transitioned to Hollywood, the HK ditributors saw an opputunity to make a quick buck and sold off most of their good properties. So if our faves are covered in legal red tape, we can partially blame the HK ditributors for putting them there. For now, just stick with your uncut FOL laserdisc and I'll stick with my DMII VHS.

#21 ·
I own almost every version of FOL in the world and the Dragon Dynasty is heads and shoulders above the rest in terms of A/V quality. Anybody who says otherwise is either talking through their ass or is relying on others' opinions. It's a shame that it loses the final 10 seconds or so. That's not gonna kill me. But I would love to add the German dvd to my collection since it is the ideal release, being uncut with English subs and all.

#23 ·

Looks like an upconvert. A very clean upconvert, mind you. It makes me think that if the source was in HD it could actually look quite good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.