AVS Forum banner

The LTD (Long Distance Theater) for now….

6K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  bsuave 
#1 ·
We currently live in MA, but will be retiring to the Phoenix AZ area (at least I will be….gonna keep the wife working for the health insurance). We hope to make the move some time in 2009, but the economy continues to conspire against us.

We put an addition on my father-in-law’s house last spring which includes a 23.5’ x 13.5’ room for a theater. I went down last Apr to quickly wire for the speakers (7.1), projector, etc a day before the drywallers were scheduled. Down in Sept to complete the bathroom and again over the Xmas holiday to start the theater. Hence the temporary theater name, I’ll only be able to work on it for a few days at a time until I become permanent member of the leisure set.

Equipment we already have:

Aerial Acoustics Model 9s, CC5 center

BA E70s for surrounds/rears

Denon 4810CI Receiver

Sony CX906 400 BD changer

Parasound Halo A51

OPPO BDP 83

Toshiba XA2

Pio Elite/RS2 clone

Dual SVS PB13 Ultras

APC H15 Power Conditioner

Center Stage XD material for a 120” horizontal screen

Black Berklines 12001 w/Buttkickers in the front row

Rack - Middle Atlantic Slim 5

Here’s a Sketch-Up (do I suck at that program) of the layout - the ceiling will be black, screen wall black GOM panels and walls burgundy, and the carpet will be stolen from Jamis:

Starting point - front of room:

Rear (the door on the right leads to the patio, going to have to change that to an outswing door as it limits the width of the riser and rear seats)

And progress so far this week:

Stage

2 inches of Linacoustic:

And bass traps:

Did I mention that while they had 10" of snow and single digit temperatures this last week in MA, it was in the low to mid 70s here? Heading back on Tuesday, should be able to get the stage and riser completed.

See less See more
#2 ·
How do you guys keep your construction areas so clean? There are a couple of you here that during your construction it appears as though your room is clean enough to perform surgery. My area when I'm working (and after cleanup) looks like a war zone.

I give you an atta boy for doing this long distance it is a challenge when it is under your feet in the basement let alone 1000's of miles away.

Couple of suggestions. I would match your surround speakers with what you have for your mains and center. It is not as important as having all your front speakers timbre matched but for seamless audio all your speakers should be matched. also before you change your doors make sure the local codes allow you to do that. Usually it is businesses were the codes get so picky in how the doors swing and such, but these codes can change somewhat from municipality to municipality.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

#3 ·
My usual M.O. is to make a complete mess while working then a massive clean-up. Since I have to leave things relatively tidy while not here, I have made a concerted effort to keep things clean as I go...so far so good.

Local zones allow outswing exterior doors, just have to make sure the hinge pins are the type that can't be removed.

As for the speakers, I have been keeping an eye on Audiogon for the Aerial SR3s (MSRP is $3800/pair) and there is one pair that they are asking $1395, of course I would prefer to get two pair for that price - fat chance!

Thanks for your comments.

An aside...it's been a while since I've done this much carpentry. What a pain to have to wear reading glasses to do anything - leaning over to hammer and they move, they don't work well with respirators.....tough to get old!

#4 ·
A picture of the twins that all I can do is look at

#5 ·
It is a SHAME to keep those twin SVS's lonely. Such sacrilege! If my budget will allow it is my goal to go dual PB13's or dual Epik Towers. :cool: Room shaking bliss!

Well I try as I might to keep the work area clean just don't seem to get it accomplished it seems to stay a disaster area from the start.

Are you planning on changing the room color to a more Theater Friendly color?

Regards,

RTROSE

#6 ·
Well, headed back to the frigid NE tomorrow. Got done pretty much what I planned in the theater this week (with the exception of framing the false wall) and even squeezed in a few rounds of golf.

Ceiling painted - 2 coats Behr flat black

Riser complete and wired for powered recliners - advice: run conduit before the floor is poured, although only 2 in wide and 4 ft long, it's a tedious job!

Don't know when, but the next trip I will complete the false wall, have the GOM delivered to start all the frames (my lazy side says just paint the damn walls, but I like the way the fabric frames look) and set up to have the carpet laid.

What I don't look forward to is the cost moving all our stuff. A lot of stuff we'll just sell and re-buy when here, but enough will have to make the trip. Has anyone used PODS for a long distance move? Is it considerably cheaper that a mover?

Thanks for looking.

#7 ·
Good work so far. This should turn out looking pretty good in the end

I'm going to be "that" guy though. I noticed that your theater is called "The Long Distance Theater" but you termed it LTD..... Hmmmm

#8 ·
Dyslexia is a thing terrible !

Thanks for the head's up

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Hamster /forum/post/15468181

Good work so far. This should turn out looking pretty good in the end

I'm going to be "that" guy though. I noticed that your theater is called "The Long Distance Theater" but you termed it LTD..... Hmmmm

There always is "that guy" somewhere you just happen to be "that guy" today in this thread. Just don't visit my thread and be "that guy" there too.

Maybe he works for that catalog order company the women go ga ga over.

Here . Many of the women I work with just love this place.

Regards,

RTROSE

#11 ·
Looks good so far,

I was almost excited to see another MASS native build, that was till I saw the build site. Oh well, good luck with the rest of your project.

Question I saw you put linacoustic up for the screen wall. First picture shows the orange/red washers holding it in place but their dark in the second pic except for the bottom row. Did you use a Sharpie or somthing similar?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg2149 /forum/post/15486266

So far, looks awesome! Great work!

Can I ask what you built your bass traps with?

I used Johns Manville's Spin-Glas 814, the equivalent of Owen Corning 703. 2 " thick and comes in 2' x 4' sheets. I used 24 sheets. I cut it with a $10 electric knife from Wal-mart, a method someone here mentioned and although time consuming, it worked quite well.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 /forum/post/15487066

Looks good so far,

I was almost excited to see another MASS native build, that was till I saw the build site. Oh well, good luck with the rest of your project.

Question I saw you put linacoustic up for the screen wall. First picture shows the orange/red washers holding it in place but their dark in the second pic except for the bottom row. Did you use a Sharpie or somthing similar?

Well, it is still a "MA native build", just not located natively. I spray painted the washers I thought might show through the screen.

As the old joke goes, Put the snowblower on a trailer and keep driving until someone asks: What's that?

#14 ·
Back from hibernation for a bit. Just picked up a brand new the Pioneer FPJ1 for $100 more than the Panny 3000's going price. I'm not usually one to go with "older technology", but this was considered by many the best

#16 ·
I'll be doing the GOM panel thing, with 44" of Linacoustic on the lower half and cotton batting above.

Would you recommend the fabricmate track over beveled wooden frames? The frames would give you more room for error - easier to cover up any mistakes.

#18 ·
I didn't get as much completed as I had planned, spent too much of the time at Home Depot. I was able to frame the stage, fabricate the GOM wrapped frames and finish the screen. The screen is 10' wide 2.40:1, I used 2" x 4" poplar wrapped with black Fildelio velvet and Center Stage XD fabric from Seymore AV. I think it came out pretty well.

The twin SVS PB 13s are installed behind the frame but have still never been powered up - I hope they work. Some disassembly of the framing built for the speakers would be required to remove them - I used all screws so it shouldn't be too big of a problem. All that's left is building the soffits, all of the fabric frames for the walls (ala GPowers) install the rack, carpet, seats, and getting all my electronics moved across the country! Maybe another trip down this fall.

#19 ·
You have the patience of a saint.

#20 ·
MD, I knew once I saw your thread I would remember it. That screen looks great, it was nice to meet you and the rest of the guys today. Good luck on the rest of your project.

#23 ·
No more construction until maybe the fall, but I did make few purchases. Ordered the SVS AS-EQ1, not shipping until mid August, but obviously I'm in no hurry. Also picked up 4 Boston Acoustics E70s for surrounds and rears. I've had several BA speakers in the past, so I'm falmiliar with their sound. These are now discontinued - original MSRP was $800, got them for $240 ea shipped. The cherry finish is quite stunning. What I did realize was that the wall bracket is an option, gotta drop another $40 each for those.

In response to my most favorite daughter, the Pio Elite will have to make the trek across country, need something for the bedroom...sorry.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by md1953 /forum/post/16622366

No more construction until maybe the fall, but I did make few purchases. Ordered the SVS AS-EQ1, not shipping until mid August, but obviously I'm in no hurry. Also picked up 4 Boston Acoustics E70s for surrounds and rears. I've had several BA speakers in the past, so I'm falmiliar with their sound. These are now discontinued - original MSRP was $800, got them for $240 ea shipped. The cherry finish is quite stunning. What I did realize was that the wall bracket is an option, gotta drop another $40 each for those.

In response to my most favorite daughter, the Pio Elite will have to make the trek across country, need something for the bedroom...sorry.

Ahhh Daughters!!

Don't they just have their special way of suggesting thngs!

I have 2 of my own...

-t

#25 ·
Wowzers. I don't know how you do it. My mind usually drifts to thoughts of my build at least a million times until I can actually get back to the room. Even then, I don't always feel like I get enough time in. I'm very impressed with your patience and progress.

Oh, and your build is looking very nice. Any pics of your DIY screen build?

Good luck.

#26 ·
Sorry, I didn't take pictures while building the screen but it was very easy using the SeymourAV method. Using spray adhesive vs staples was less time consuming, time will tell how it holds up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.